Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know Obama just renounced Pokemon, but I hope he can patch things up with his friend Geodude in time for a cameo in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It would have been super easy for this movie to coast on Gen 1 nostalgia but they're doing an amazing job of integrating all gens based off the trailer. I can't believe they made a Detective Pikachu movie and let Ludicolo steal the show.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched the trailer again. The music right before Holding Out For A Hero is an arrangement of the original anime Pokemon theme.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

i had no idea what a Ludicolo was until this trailer and now i want 8 of them

One of the most brilliant things about this franchise is the diversity of the Pokemon. They range from being cute, badass, weird, cosmic horrors, to just being an object with eyes. And no matter how weird they get, someone will be a fan of it, justifying a line of merchandise.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ludicolo stock is going up up up!!

Buy Ludicolo! Sell Xatu!!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zore posted:

Yeah, its a 3DS game that came out in 2016. Mostly the same premise as the movie but obviously structured more episodically. Plays a lot like Phoenix Wright.

The English version came out about a year ago. I haven't played it yet, but it's supposed to be on the very easy side. It's for young kids, after all.

Oddly enough, the next animated Pokemon movie to come out in Japan is going to be a 3D remake of Mewtwo Strikes Back.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You should have seen Pokemania III, when that Machamp lifted up Snorlax. It was incredible, brother.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Mew is the embryo, mewtwo is Giygas

It's actually called Blaine's Monster.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Gengar is distracting you all from the four Loudred in the same shot.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's honest to goodness sincerity.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If this gets a sequel, or they make it a shared universe thing, I hope major celebrities start to voice more Pokemon. But not the English speaking Pokemon like Mewtwo, Meowth, and Detective Pikachu. Just the ones that speak their own name. Get George Clooney to voice an Arcanine. Idris Elba to voice Nidoking. Helen Miren to voice Tyranitar.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's what gave me the idea. :3:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Giovanni's son is the Gold/Silver rival.

Coincidentally, also the last time the series had a good rival character.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It really is the Who Framed Roger Rabbit of our time.

Does that mean Justice Smith is gonna voice Mario in the upcoming Illumination movie?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I doubt we're gonna get a direct sequel to this movie given the story was pretty well wrapped up, as much as Detective Ryan Reynolds and his Pikachu would be an incredible movie, but wouldn't be surprised if they made some more with the same style and character designs, given the live action-CG blend turned out to work pretty well.

Though also probably the same Mewtwo. Maybe they can have Mewtwo at the start in every movie, and in a post-credits scene Mewtwo is sitting in a big chair by a fireplace wearing glasses and a smoking jacket and reading the story to, I dunno, Genesect Moltres.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Putting him back in the Pikachu would be contrived. Just move on. There's a whole Pokemon world to explore.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How am I supposed to watch Pokemon League if they don't set up Lance in his solo own movie?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Release the Scyther Cut!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That scene was cartoonish and hilarious.