Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 29: Wreck of the Serendipity

I'm kind of surprised the Serendipity never becomes a gang hideout after this mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
:20bux: seems like a pretty good payout considering Marston's entire job in that stranger mission involved walking a few feet away and saying like two sentences to a dude.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

We're close to the home stretch and I really want to wrap this up soon, so I figured I'd try to upload these remaining videos a bit quicker than usual. We'll see how that goes, but here's a video now.

Episode 30: At Home With Dutch

In today's episode, John and Nastas head to the mountains to search for Dutch van der Linde's hideout. Also, sorry about the pops in my commentary audio - RTX Voice was acting up, it seems. Unfortunately, this audio issue will persist to some degree for a few more episodes because I kept the same settings across multiple recording sessions, but I'll just disable RTX Voice for the last session and that'll hopefully fix it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 31: Just Like the Old Days

We finally meet up with Dutch face-to-face, and he's still the same as he was back in the day when John left the gang. That is to say he's an insane murderer. And if Dutch seems bad, check out who we have to hang out with after that! In a game chock full of awful people, Professor MacDougal somehow manages to be one of the most loathsome of them all. Naturally, that means we have to protect his life at all costs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The fact they even offered the option that you can warn the prohibitionist is a surprise to me. Some reprieve in the, by now, trite Rockstar nihilism.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I find Dutch and Nastas having the same voice actor to be really distracting. Though I guess that wasn't a problem for long.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Poor Nastas. It seems the game only had room for 1 character mercilessly dunking on everyone for being horrible.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Well Bonnie is still alive at least

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I hadn't realized until pretty late in these videos that RDR II was a prequel, so this is really reconfiguring what I thought was going on in the opening bits (which is all I've played so far). Dutch is still talking basically the same poo poo, though!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 32: Our Days Are Over

It's time for John to finish this Dutch business once and for all and return to his family. Will the agents honor the deal? Let's find out.

My audio had some issues with crackling and pops again thanks to RTX Voice trying to process my voice a bit too hard, sorry about that. The next video's commentary is the last time I used RTX Voice, so after that everything should be OK.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
The song is actually much better timed if you choose to follow the roads instead of cutting cross-country: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_dBxGThEx8

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

A turret bossfight feels very very early 00's game design.

Also the Rockstar writing is starting to become really grating by now.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Aumanor posted:

The song is actually much better timed if you choose to follow the roads instead of cutting cross-country: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_dBxGThEx8
Every time I try to follow the roads here, I end up choosing the wrong path and getting lost so I decided to just head directly for the marker. As you might have noticed, I almost got murdered by some wolves, two bears and a wild boar in the process because Tall Trees doesn't gently caress around.

Also, if you do get attacked by something and fall off your horse (or just get off your horse in general), the song stops instantly. It's hard-coded to play when you automatically get on the horse after the cutscene, and if you get off for any reason it's not going to play again.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Huh.

That was an unexpected ending to the episode.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I was convinced there were two Jose Gonzales tracks in this game, but the sound track only mentions Far Away so I guess the other one was this track by someone who does not in any way sound like Jose Gonzales.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 4, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Fwoderwick posted:

I was convinced there were two Jose Gonzales tracks in this game, but the sound track only mentions Far Away so I guess the other one was this track by someone who does not in any way sound like Jose Gonzales.
This one is Jamie Lidell.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Doc M posted:

This one is Jamie Lidell.

It's a good track definitely and having just spend 5 minutes down an internet dead end, conflating him with James Lavelle from Unkle, I'll have to check him out to justify the wasted mental energy.

As for the game, I think the few moments of sincerity not based around violence that it has are a large part of why it holds such a large place in my gaming headspace. As we've seen from the LP most of the game is spent bouncing between cretins and the manipulative but the grounding towards the start with Bonnie and here with finally meeting your family really push the game up. It could have done with more though, I'm sure :rockstar: felt they had some deep point with the relentless futility of the sidequests but it's actually been quite exasperating to watch here.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Speaking of John's family, here's another update!

Episode 33: The Quiet Life

His mission finally complete, John is now free to enjoy life with his loved ones (and Uncle) once more. Of course, as we're swiftly reminded, running a ranch and being a family man isn't always sunshine and rainbows, especially when you're a former outlaw who isn't very good at running a ranch or raising a family.

This is the last of the bad audio episodes. RTX Voice is a perfectly fine audio tool but it isn't perfect, and I should've done more testing before I used these settings for recording.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I continue to be amazed at the Marston family's continued survival.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 34: John Marston and Son (and Uncle)

Now that we're getting back into the swing of things at the Marston ranch, John should probably take some time to hang out with his son. Sadly, before we get to that we'll have to spend time with Uncle, but at least that gives us the opportunity to mercilessly dunk on the old goat.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 35: The Day John Marston Stopped Shooting

Today, we finally complete the last story missions of Red Dead Redemption. The next and final video of the LP will show off the game's final Stranger quest.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 6, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

There's the imminent tragedy that was dangling over us for the last 4 updates!

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I think this was the angriest a video game ending has ever (intentionally) made me. gently caress you gub'mint., our boy deserves a second chance at life.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 36 (FINAL): Violent Hearts

In this episode, we hit the postgame to wrap up the last dangling loose end - as well as the LP itself. It's taken entirely too long, but we're done! Finally! Stick around until the end of the credits to find out what we'll be doing next.

Here's the last newspaper as well:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

That was a pretty neat way to wrap up the story. Dickhead government man getting killed because he created another of the gunmen he was ostensibly ending was a pretty nice comeuppance.

I'm sad you didnt take the juvenile route and destroy the moment by shooting him in the dick a bunch.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Am I misremembering that you can let him live (and not just by letting him kill you)? I was sure that on my second play through I decided to not follow the cycle of violenceTM. I wonder if you shoot around him before triggering the cutscene if he goes in to fleeing NPC mode, I have this vague memory of sending him running in to the shallows.

That said i also remember him being humanised a lot more than this in this last strangers quest so maybe it's just been a long time and I've mangled the whole thing in my mind.

Anyway thanks for the LP Doc M, that was a long ride and good to experience it all again. Hope you don't sound quite so relieved it's over at the end of the next one!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Fwoderwick posted:

Am I misremembering that you can let him live (and not just by letting him kill you)? I was sure that on my second play through I decided to not follow the cycle of violenceTM. I wonder if you shoot around him before triggering the cutscene if he goes in to fleeing NPC mode, I have this vague memory of sending him running in to the shallows.

That said i also remember him being humanised a lot more than this in this last strangers quest so maybe it's just been a long time and I've mangled the whole thing in my mind.
You can probably scare him off before triggering the cutscene, but that obviously won't complete the mission. The only way to actually complete it is to gun him down, you can't disarm him or anything like that. Of course the mission is entirely optional, so if you don't feel like perpetuating the cycle you can just skip the whole thing and choose to go play high-stakes poker in Blackwater or something.

quote:

Anyway thanks for the LP Doc M, that was a long ride and good to experience it all again. Hope you don't sound quite so relieved it's over at the end of the next one!
Glad you enjoyed it, and that goes for everyone who bothered to stick with this for almost two years. That was genuine relief from me as well, because while I enjoyed doing this LP aside from the Mexico part, it has been two years and I've completed four other LPs while this has been going on so I'm just glad we finally reached the finish line.

Anyway, considering what I said the next LP is gonna be (for those of you who didn't stick around until the end of the video, it's RDR II because I make very smart life decisions), I'll be quite surprised if we ever reach the end of that one. :v:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

It's been several years since I played through RDR but I'm pretty sure I mowed down all of Ross' family before I got to him.

unpatched Undead Nightmare? :haw: It is October......

Anyways. Thanks for the wonderful LP, I really enjoyed it. I love the story, I love the game, but I really can't bring myself to play through it again and this LP scratched the itch perfectly. I just wish I knew why John's VA insisted on yelling so many of his lines.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

oldskool posted:

unpatched Undead Nightmare? :haw: It is October......
Here's the thing - I don't like Undead Nightmare very much even when it works properly. It's got some fun moments and cool stuff here and there (the War horse :black101: and the unicorn :sparkles:) but the core gameplay gets really old really fast and the 360 (and especially PS3, which already had serious trouble with the less demanding main game) hardware can't keep up with the zombie hordes and the new graphical effects so it constantly runs at roughly 20 fps on the original system. That is a slight problem when headshots are an absolute must and Dead Eye is limited. Obviously, I can't run it unpatched on the Xbone X because the required download is already the latest version of the game.

I could give it a shot on the BoneX to see if it works any better than it did a few years ago on an original Bone. I didn't see any of the weird glitches in Digital Foundry's footage when they tested the DLC on the BoneX, but maybe they just got lucky while recording (I think I actually asked about this in the Youtube comments at the time, but didn't get a reply).

edit: I played about an hour of Undead Nightmare on the BoneX and did not encounter the invincible enemy bug (a software bug that causes enemies to become invincible, not an enemy insect that is invincible), although the game did crash when I saved after fast traveling. Crashing to a black screen is what happens when you try to save while the bug is in effect, so maybe I triggered it by fast traveling.

e2: As a wise man once said, "ASSSSSSS!"

This is what happens when the bug triggers. Some or all zombies in the game turn into headless gunmen you can't kill. Why couldn't this happen 15 minutes into the first session like the last time I tested the DLC on Xbone? :negative:

Welp, off we go to boot up the unpatched version on original hardware then. I'm actually having a surprising amount of fun with this DLC, so maybe I will do it after all if the performance isn't too poo poo on original hardware. Good thing my 360 is hooked up because I just played through NieR on it and haven't unplugged it yet.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 9, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Despite some dodgy frame rates on original hardware, I've finished Undead Nightmare and we'll start recording commentary tomorrow! :zpatriot:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Woo! I was hoping to get to see that.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

EDIT: Okay well apparently the video got blocked because some Russian trademark bot thought they owned part of the game's opening cutscene, let's see if we can fix that with a reupload

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 12, 2020

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Video blocked for copyright claim. Those zombies belong to someone and they don't want you stealing them.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Video blocked for copyright claim. Those zombies belong to someone and they don't want you stealing them.
MOTHER FUCKERS

Whatever "School 13: игрооргии: сезон 1, серия 11" is, I'm pretty sure this video doesn't contain any footage from that. Let's see if I can do something about this.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It's always really weird to me that YouTube's system ultimately lets random companies just claim ownership of your stuff until you refute it. Like, that's irrefutably somewhere between yours and Rockstar's content, but the onus is on you while these guys would claim whatever bucks and stuff they want from others' work.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

CrashScreen posted:

It's always really weird to me that YouTube's system ultimately lets random companies just claim ownership of your stuff until you refute it. Like, that's irrefutably somewhere between yours and Rockstar's content, but the onus is on you while these guys would claim whatever bucks and stuff they want from others' work.
Alright, so here's what's going on. There's this Russian youtube channel that used to upload these... presumably reviews of various games with some lovely cartoon skits thrown in, and because they did Undead Nightmare in one video that somehow means they get to claim other videos that contain the same cutscene footage WHICH THEY DO NOT EVEN OWN. Well, not all of them, just some of them like mine. This certainly puts the fraud in "fraudulent copyright claim", good job lads! :thumbsup:

I've disputed the claim and expect Youtube to rule in favor of me because it's obvious to anyone with eyes and even a shred of common sense that I didn't steal these fuckers' footage, so hopefully the video gets to go up in a couple of days. I tried to put a modified version up in the meantime, but then they just claimed a different part of the video. Great stuff, nice system you've got there.

edit: upon further inspection, it seems the claimant is the one who will make the decision whether or not to uphold the copyright claim, so hopefully they're not complete morons

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 12, 2020

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I had something like this happen a couple years ago when posting a stream from a concert I gave and someone in Poland claimed copyright on the public domain music I was performing. Funny, there was music in the concert that was under copyright but none of those got flagged, some mezzo just seemed to think she owned copyright on songs by Brahms. That was resolved by the next day for me, maybe it will be that way here too? Let's hope so

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Okay then, all's well that ends well. The video (well, my reupload of it after I took down the original) has been reinstated after the company released the bullshit copyright claim, so let's try this again.

Undead Nightmare Episode 1: Love in the Time of Plague

Uncle busting into the Marstons' bedroom in the middle of the night while groaning incoherently, with human blood all over his beard, is probably something that happens on a semi-regular basis.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I love this DLC so much. It's just so over-the-top and dumb, they nailed the B-movie tone perfectly.

In the Miscellany in that last newspaper, do we know who the "Handsome man of means" refers to? Most of them are references to in-game characters (Irish, you died as you lived) but I can't pin that one down.

inflatablefish fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

inflatablefish posted:

I love this DLC so much. It's just so over-the-top and dumb, they nailed the B-movie tone perfectly.
It's really a shame there's only of handful of actual missions and most of the DLC is just the same thing over and over as you clean up settlements and graveyards. Like I said in the episode, that's probably fine if you just play through the main plot but it does get very repetitive when you're doing the side stuff.

quote:

In the Miscellany in that last newspaper, do we know who the "Handsome man of means" refers to? Most of them are references to in-game characters (Irish, you died as you lived) but I can't pin that one down.
I may be wrong about this, but I don't think that's supposed to be anyone in particular.