Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
- Part of the list order is the field study groups. Alisa/Elliot/Laura, then Machias/Emma/Jusis/Gaius, then the late additions of Millium/Crow.
- "That's Gaius in one image." You did first see him in the church.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Sure, I could use a NG+ savefile for later.

Warning that you'll apparently want a NG+ 0% save, because otherwise it apparently carries over all the stat bonuses from gifts. I found mine here.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Oh goodie, that's just about when the overarching plot starts getting more serious. :munch:

Ah, you must be speaking of the one with the weapon which has absolutely no analogue to a real-world weapon. Yes, that character has surprisingly good attacks no matter the type.

What made me decide to hold off was seeing a character with the same last name as a main character from Zero/Azure, and the ongoing Zero LP hadn't gotten to what the main character's deal was at that time.

Sure, I could use a NG+ savefile for later. EDIT: Wait, I think I already have one. Well, I might as well grab another 0% one.
I was referring to the one from Chapter 5, not the one from Chapter 6. They're both up there in combat but only one can no-sell attacks on command. And only one of them doesn't have an in-game arc, remember.

I don't remember the gifts being so meaningful in CS3 that they would distort gameplay. But if you have access to a 0% NG+ file I won't stop you. :shrug:

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

200. Trails of Cold Steel Recap

Technically this is part of the CS2 LP, but it seemed weird to start a thread with just a recap when we haven't even started the actual game yet, and it also seemed weird to launch a thread with like three and a half hours of video. So here we are!

I've submitted this thread to the LP Archive and we should be good to launch CS2 this month. For now, let's bask in Rean's glory days.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Haven't watched yet, but I wanted to say that I got to this update from it popping up on my Youtube recommendations and I am hype as all hell.

EDIT
The narrator is neither the principal nor Osborne, it's Laura's Dad.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 13, 2021

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I can’t wait! I actually had no idea that was voiced.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oops, I forgot about that video I was going to encode.

Trista Train Station (Skip to 2:33 for the new scene.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT2HQ6HyJ0c

- "This shouldn't take too long." :allears: Two hour video.
- The narrator is voiced by the same person who voices Victor Arseid. I don't think it's supposed to be him, though, as it's told in an impersonal way.
- The intro order seems to start out with Rean and Alisa as the two leads, then it goes boy-girl, boy-girl the rest of the way down.
- I will spoil that Gwyn's "dirty old man" act is pretty much entirely absent from CS 2.
- Moving around Nord is less tiresome in CS 2.
- We don't even know "Mr. Reinford", because Irina was the Reinford, which means that Alisa's father would have been the one to change his last name.
- In Sky, Olivert went by Olivier, which I believe (because of the second i) is pronounced Oh-liv-e-ay.
- I've been trying to avoid spoilers, but Youtube's related videos sometimes show stuff in the thumbnails, even if I don't know what it means.
- The difference being that class with Millium is more annoying and obnoxious.
- I will say that the Crossbell games are getting closer. The fan translation for the second game (Trails to Azure) is making progress - The second editing pass is at 93%.
- You should read the Drama CD content - offline, not in a video - because in CS 2, it is assumed that you have read it, and the dialogue includes references to the events of that Drama CD content without stopping to explain for people who haven't read it. Bizarrely, though, Millium and Crow are not there.
- Far left is Hyarms, big with mustache is Rogner.
- The game doesn't say where the bodies on the ship came from. I don't think it was miners.
- Valimar doesn't have roller blades. It can fly. The Panzer Soldats can't fly.
- What do you think was cut in Chapter 6?
- Ouroboros is pretty tedious and tiresome. They're invincible villains who always get a second wind after a defeat, but always conveniently get distracted or "lose interest" after the protagonists win.
- That shield was such bullshit, and you'll likely figure out why on your own. :ssh: It's because it never even gets MENTIONED again, never mind used.
- I'm sure you can find a bunch of CS 1 endings online. Here's one such compilation.
-- Sara's extra dialogue appears as she's leaving the classroom.
-- Towa's extra dialogue appears as Class VII is leaving the academy.
-- Crow's extra dialogue appears just before the Ordine fight begins.
-- Everyone else gets theirs as Valimar prepares to flee.
- The choice was to defend Rean, or to flee and save their own life. Considering that the fight was unwinnable, they were putting their lives at the mercy of a murderer.
- Lechter's second appearance was to give Sara the Intelligence Division's dossier on the terrorists. It's what the presentation at Garrellia used.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 13, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I don't think it is spoilers to say Olivier and Mueller are in CS2. Only a crazy person couldn't figure that out. Mueller will refer to Olivier by his fake name sometimes by accident or intent, and it is indeed pronounced "oh LIVE ee ey"

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

EDIT
The narrator is neither the principal nor Osborne, it's Laura's Dad.

Not even three minutes to first mistake, an excellent sign!

CottonWolf posted:

I can’t wait! I actually had no idea that was voiced.

Fun fact: the first time I loaded this up, I figured it would be safe to at least check the prologue, only to immediately be confronted with "Elliot, son of a general." We had recorded the video with that revelation the day before and I aborted at record speed. (Also didn't notice the robot on the title screen.)

Trista Train Station (Skip to 2:33 for the new scene.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT2HQ6HyJ0c

"Especially the Transcontinental Railroad not being quite so transcontinental anymore" is one of the worst mouthfuls they made the voice actors say in the whole game, I'm sad we missed it.

- What do you think was cut in Chapter 6?

It's not so much cut scenes, it's more that everything exciting was implied or happened offscreen. The robot trashed the factory offscreen and was standing around when we got there. The ILF took over the mine offscreen and were standing around when we caught up. The confrontations between the guard and RMP were entirely them staring at each other except one gun-wrestle for two seconds. The ship just exploded while we were standing around staring at it.

Basically the strained budget felt way more noticeable there, when things were actually heating up, than anywhere else in the game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it is inexcusable for the wiki to not be called Kiseki Wiseki

the man who voices Laura's Dad is named Michael McConnohie, in case anyone didn't want to go on calling him Laura's Dad; he does voice the principal as well though

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 14, 2021

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Level 1 Thief posted:

It's not so much cut scenes, it's more that everything exciting was implied or happened offscreen. The robot trashed the factory offscreen and was standing around when we got there. The ILF took over the mine offscreen and were standing around when we caught up. The confrontations between the guard and RMP were entirely them staring at each other except one gun-wrestle for two seconds. The ship just exploded while we were standing around staring at it.

Basically the strained budget felt way more noticeable there, when things were actually heating up, than anywhere else in the game.

It's okay if the bad guys plans get set into motion when the class is out of position / not expecting them. I think that stuff happening offscreen and needing to be told about it can work as a tool for suspense, and putting the players in the same boat as the characters with the lack of information. The events in Roer were one surprise after another, and the players learn things the same time the characters did. See also the attack on Heimdallr - one surprising twist after another, because of information which the game hadn't given the players. ...That said, stuff happening offscreen doesn't always work well.

Of course they were all standing around. Generally speaking, bodies empowered to enforce the law aren't supposed to start attacking each other with intent to harm. That can get very messy, so it's generally a last resort.

I'm not sure what the issue is with the mine scene. Was Class VII supposed to start attacking the Provincial Army? Were you expecting them to jump for the airship?

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

It's not a complaint, really. I liked it a lot more than the chapter 5 field study, where they went nuts with action scenes for a bit. Over time, I just noticed that in almost every case, where they could have had some sort of action, they went with something much simpler and saved it for the actual boss fights, much more than any other chapter. It's what Falcom does; leaning heavily on their writing staff to carry things when other departments couldn't basically dragged the company out of bankruptcy. I wouldn't have even done this LP if I wasn't on board for that sort of thing. Besides, they more than made up for it in the final chapter.

For the airship in particular, as an example, they could've had the team give chase after C and co. and lose them before encountering the ship. This would have required new environments and likely some custom animations, the effort of which instead (correctly) went towards the bonkers finale and instead they stayed in place while mostly the same things happened around them. Money saved, that's all.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 14, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

crossma balls

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Toval's talent for orbal arts isn't mentioned in Cold Steel I directly, but it's strongly hinted at in the Carnelia novel, where he exclusively uses his battle orbment to defend himself whenever he's forced to defend himself.

The significance of the CG's involving Rean, a small woodcutting hatchet and a large bear-like creature is explained in the Drama CD text and only there. CS2 and CS3 don't bring it up.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Hwurmp posted:

it is inexcusable for the wiki to not be called Kiseki Wiseki

the man who voices Laura's Dad is named Michael McConnohie, in case anyone didn't want to go on calling him Laura's Dad; he does voice the principal as well though

I didn't realize they were the same VA. That actually surprises me a little, even though, on a relisten, they're closer to each other than Alfin and Fie, who are the same VA, and I've said it many times, but it always blows my mind.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Veryslightlymad posted:

I didn't realize they were the same VA. That actually surprises me a little, even though, on a relisten, they're closer to each other than Alfin and Fie, who are the same VA, and I've said it many times, but it always blows my mind.

Morris uses a deeper octave for Fie than for Alfin, and boy what a difference that octave makes.

There are still some moments where one of them is talking and I briefly think it's the other, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Let's Play Trails of Cold Steel II