Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
IMO the simplicity of Blade is a virtue - it makes it a nice chill way to pass some time on the train with friends, rather than any sort of unnecessarily involved endeavor or (god forbid) a CCG.

If you don't like it, you should definitely just skip it though. 50 bonding points is nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I noticed you already posted your next video on YouTube, so I'll post a reaction even though it's not officially posted here yet.

- Have you played Trails in the Sky SC? Your reaction to the weirdo-in-white didn't really reveal whether you knew who he was or not.

- Actually, an arge = meter, rege = centimeter and selge = hectometer, meaning the area is a 20 kilometer (or 12.5 mile) radius. Not sure why Falcom didn't make selge into kilometers since distances are pretty much always gauged in kilometers outside the US.

- Attack type rank does not matter regarding the damage you do, it just affects the odds of unbalancing an opponent.

- I suggest not really trying to hard to grind link points through battle by keeping certain links intact since it's not particularly efficient. Instead, the most effective thing to do (though you may find it too much work) in battle is to always link whoever's attacking a monster who's likely to be unbalanced by that attack to Laura since she has the highest natural strength meaning her follow-up attacks hit hardest. (unless Laura's CP is very high and Rean's is very low) If a monster has very high physical defense, you could pick Elliot instead, though his low strength means he'll never hit for lots of damage. Particularly Rean and Alisa have S-ranks in their respective attack types, so if they unbalance a monster, they'll unbalance them often, especially with their crafts.

- You might have noticed the girl in the room next to yours has a rather unique model. Annabelle's a recurring character and worth keeping an eye on whenever you see her.

- Sara wouldn't be a proper Misato-clone without having a beergasm or two.

- The absence of bracers in Erebonian towns is brought up in greater detail later, though if you played Sky FC, you're probably already aware of the fact that they had some trouble two years ago.

- Baron Poe (probably the most pitiable schmuck in Zemuria this side of Anton) and his daughter Claris are some other NPCs that pop up in multiple towns, so keep an eye out for them.

- Yes, Carnelia's the same book as in the first Sky game. With one notable thing: remember when you wondered whether Liberl-Edel and Thors-Edel were related because they shared a name? They weren't, but in this case, keep the names of the main characters (Toby, Carnelia, Micht) in the back of your mind, just in case you run into someone with that name.

- With Olivier not being able to do his eccentric-travelling-musician-using-flowery-language schtick in Cold Steel, Andre (possibly named after Andre Rieu) jumps into the fray to try and take his place.

- The hidden books aren't that much easier to find this time around. It's just that if you miss them they randomly pop up as pawn shop deals in Trista later on. With the exception of the first and last book, all hidden books are found on field trip locations.

- You actually missed a merchant near the resting area in the market who has an accessory for sale that's "part of a set". You definitely want to get one of them before the end of the chapter if you can afford it. (which, given that you're currently lacking funds for new weapons and citrus bottles, you might not be able to) It's key to getting an ultimate weapon ore much later on, but if you miss it here, you won't be able to get another one.

- Actually, the reason the healing spell healed for "a weird number" is because unlike in Trails in the Sky games, where healing arts recovered set amounts of damage, healing arts in Cold Steel now depend on the characters' Ats-stats just like offensive spells do. This means that healing arts cast by Alisa (decent Ats) will be decent, ones cast by Elliot (high Ats and currently has a master quartz that enhances healing arts) are great and healing spells cast by Rean or Laura (low Ats) will suck. In the Sky games your beatsticks could still act as emergency healers if you gave them HP+ quartz, but giving healing quartz to your frontliners here is much less rewarding.

- In terms of who's best fit to lead the party on the field screen, your best options are either Alisa (whose attack comes out fast and who can snipe enemies in the back from afar without risking them suddenly turning around and stealing your preemptive chance) and Laura. (who covers two attack types and whose field attacks have a low chance of stunning enemies when hitting them from the front)

- Given that you're currently not exactly wiping out the opposition (being stuck with lack of funds for new weaponry), it might just be a good idea to do the other highway first and quests first, getting some experience and sepith mass, before taking on the bounty monster.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
Hey, my internet went down last night before the video was scheduled to post and it would've been a huge pain to get it up here at the time. Sorry! Shouldn't be a recurring thing.

11. Sidequest Study: Milling Around Celdic

We leave card games and school behind and finally arrive at the sleepy town of Celdic, where we're tasked to help out the citizenry. Or not. Whatever. Sara doesn't care.

Erpy posted:

- Given that you're currently not exactly wiping out the opposition (being stuck with lack of funds for new weaponry), it might just be a good idea to do the other highway first and quests first, getting some experience and sepith mass, before taking on the bounty monster.

So, we're several parts ahead and we'll hopefully keep it that way, meaning anything in the immediate short term already happened (also that particular fight wasn't that hard anyway).

Erpy posted:

- Have you played Trails in the Sky SC? Your reaction to the weirdo-in-white didn't really reveal whether you knew who he was or not.

Honestly he was only onscreen for like five seconds of "TO BE CONTINUED" so I didn't pay much attention to him at all. (I'm in chapter 8)

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 9, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- I don’t think that Alisa’s last name is supposed to be a secret from the player. The question is really “why is she hiding that from everyone else?”
- If you talk to Sara again before finishing all required quests, the party does bring up the “why put everyone in one room” thing. I actually have a video with that part uploaded.
- By the way, if you talk to Margot again in the Weathercock, you can get the recipe you missed. Seriously, talk to everyone twice.
- You might be able to get Rean and Laura up to link level 2 through battles, but you get very little link XP from battles. Most of it comes from bonding events, old schoolhouse exploration, and completing field studies. I use battles more to get a variety of paired victory quotes, link XP is just a bonus.

- Okay, you really need to have Elliot make and sell a lot of Warm Egg Soups, just so you can get at least a little walking-around money. Those can be made (offscreen) with only store-bought ingredients, and Elliot’s version sells for more than the ingredients cost. Not MUCH more, but profit builds upon profit.
- It is slightly easier to find hidden books than it was in Trails in the Sky because the regions don't scatter NPC's to distant corners of the map. The guard posts at the borders of the regions alone added so much extra time to check for conversations. Even discounting them, Rolent had Perzel Farm, Bose has Haken Gate, Ravenue, Valleria Lakeshore. Ruan has Manoria, the orphanage and Jenis, Zeiss has Elmo Village and Wolf Fort.
- Yep, having the Information quartz equipped shows you information, but it doesn’t get recorded permanently until other conditions are met.
- It is really important to start fights with an advantage, because damage adds up quickly the more turns a side gets – that applies for both sides.
- Alisa starts out with Angel Master Quartz, which comes with Thelas, which is a minor heal, and she gets a healing craft one or two level-ups into this chapter.
- Alisa’s version of Whole Juice is actually somewhat useful at this point in the game, if you use a lot of arts.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 9, 2019

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Warning: in Cold Steel, you are students. Thus, you will forever be pretty poor unless you abuse Warm Egg Soup for all it's worth.

All the 200 CP standard attacks make me cry a little inside.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- It is slightly easier to find hidden books than it was in Trails in the Sky because the regions don't scatter NPC's to distant corners of the map. The guard posts at the borders of the regions alone added so much extra time to check for conversations. Even discounting them, Rolent had Perzel Farm, Bose has Haken Gate, Ravenue, Valleria Lakeshore. Ruan has Manoria, the orphanage and Jenis, Zeiss has Elmo Village and Wolf Fort.

The other thing is that the timing is significantly more lenient than it was in Sky. *cough cough Carnelia 3, the book you missed if you didn't immediately turn around and walk into the rest stop you just left instead of going into the building they told you to*
I do find that usually, they also keep the NPCs that give the books near where you're expected to be, as well.

Erpy posted:

- Actually, an arge = meter, rege = centimeter and selge = hectometer, meaning the area is a 20 kilometer (or 12.5 mile) radius. Not sure why Falcom didn't make selge into kilometers since distances are pretty much always gauged in kilometers outside the US.

I presume so that they can keep it to a 1:100 ratio across the board.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Ah! So nice to see you again at the inn again, Instructor... ah... 'Lush' was it?"

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The screenshot couldn't be more fitting. Rean and Elliot are at least trying to be courteous and PRETEND to be disappointed by Sara's antics. Meanwhile, Alisa and Laura have already descended into full-blown cynicism.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

12. Sidequest Study: Not Actually Very Scary Dinosaur

This episode is brought to you by Lunaria Nature Park. Lunaria Nature Park: Get Lost.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I can't help but feel a little stupid for pointing things out in earlier posts which you discovered on your own in later videos.
- Orbal washing machines would be pretty new technology, not many places in Erebonia would have them at this time. Yes, this does come up.
- Damage dealt is basically affected by a party member's STR (or ATS) versus the enemy's DEF (or ADF). Laura does high STR damage, Rean does less, and Alisa and Elliot have low STR and thus aren't going to deal much physical damage. However, certain enemies have high DEF and low ADF, which makes Rean and Laura less effective compared to Alisa and Elliot using arts. Generally, though, even with high DEF enemies, you can usually just buff everyone up to +50% STR (red STR arrow) and overpower them that way.
- Impassion seems great, but it only goes off when the character it's effecting gets a turn, so to get the full benefit, you'll often need to just stall and not kill enemies off.
- If you screw up entering the code, it just shows a little cutscene of the fight not going well, but you don't fight and don't take damage (and obviously, you don't get the bonus AP for not screwing up).

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
Elliott's quote is "I'll back you up." Due to an engine limitation the length of the English sound file had to be the same as the Japanese one.

Also, there is something about the books you can collect, not only in this game but all Trails games. Each book series contains veiled hints and spoilers about future games in the series.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Level 1 Thief posted:

This episode is brought to you by Lunaria Nature Park. Lunaria Nature Park: Get Lost.

This joke is how you know he writes these taglines, because if we were gonna do a "brought to you by" joke for this episode, I would have run instantly to the obvious joke: the Bird Box challenge

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- You can sneak up on ANY monster that's not a special battle. (like the birds in the S-craft tutorial) The way it works in this game is that most monsters will instantly sense you the first time you step into their activation radius. No way around that and the best thing you can do is avoid them until they reach the edge of their "patrolling territory" (every enemy has one) at which point they'll stop, wait for a few seconds, lose interest in your party and turn around. That's the point where you want to walk (not run, they'll sense you, not slow-walk, you won't catch up with them) up to them and stab them in the back. Alisa's particularly good for this since you can just shoot and don't have to worry about reaching them before they walk off. If you use this method of backstabbing them after they reach the end of their "leash" and turn around, you can get a triple advantage (and thus preemptive damage and +10 CP bonus) on every non-heavy monster you meet.

- Actually, Rean CAN impede charging crafts. His Autumn Leaf Cutter has impede properties in addition to delay.

- Don't forget buffs stack. If you renew a buff before it runs out, its effect doubles.

- Crafts (and S-crafts) are always non-elemental no matter what the animation looks like.

- It wouldn't be a Japanese game without a couple of incestual winks here and there. :P (Coco, the farm girl, being in love with her cousin is one of the more overt ones)

- It's not possible to have multiple characters with the same Master Quartz. If you'd have bought Sceptre in Celdic, George in Trista would no longer have it for sale.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I had the same reaction to Laura's S-Craft as Level 1, and I think also using it to murder the murder (heh) of birds. "Oh. Oh, my. That's nice. Yes."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

- Actually, Rean CAN impede charging crafts. His Autumn Leaf Cutter has impede properties in addition to delay.

He knows. He even circled the word Impede and drew a bunch of arrows pointing to it in post.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Laura is also good for head-on charge field attacks, because she can sometimes stun an enemy while it's facing you and has a good swing speed and range.

Unlike Elliott.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cyouni posted:

Laura is also good for head-on charge field attacks, because she can sometimes stun an enemy while it's facing you and has a good swing speed and range.

Unlike Elliott.

Poor Elliott. His noodly arms just can't swing his Orbal staff very well. Fortunately his nickname is 'Resounding Drumbeat' so it probably doesn't matter too much.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Dawgstar posted:

Poor Elliott. His noodly arms just can't swing his Orbal staff very well. Fortunately his nickname is 'Resounding Drumbeat' so it probably doesn't matter too much.

Well it doesn't really help that he's got those stupid elastic bands wrapped around his left arm. (Jusis has them too.)

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

13. Blade Lock

A friendly barter competition tears the group apart.

Actually it does nothing of the sort but it'd be pretty funny if it did.

Erpy posted:

- Don't forget buffs stack. If you renew a buff before it runs out, its effect doubles.

That's something I've been keeping in mind, though more as a good reason to try to keep the buffs up than something to hit right away. So far the fights in the field study haven't gone long enough for it to be a big concern, even the scary dinosaur (though I'm pretty sure we're about to hit the chapter boss, so that may change).

Dawgstar posted:

I had the same reaction to Laura's S-Craft as Level 1, and I think also using it to murder the murder (heh) of birds. "Oh. Oh, my. That's nice. Yes."

I really love the execution of the S-Crafts. It's basically Falcom saying, "Y'know what, we've been making these games for a long time, we know you're gonna break all the systems anyway ... just use this. It's fine."

Erpy posted:

He knows. He even circled the word Impede and drew a bunch of arrows pointing to it in post.

If you think that's dumb, you should hear the stuff that I cut out entirely. no you shouldn't

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Laura's Brave Master Quartz initially gives you more turns of +25% strength, but as it gains in levels you eventually start battles with +50% buffs. Of course, even with a +25% strength buff you can easily give her +50% at the start of the battle by using Rean's Motivate craft.

All store-bought Master Quartz is available throughout the entire game, so unless you immediately want to equip one (some of the later ones are pretty good) there's no need to buy one immediately.

You definitely want to buy the plush that's part of a set since you can get a very good reward out of it later.

You didn't pick all the optimal answers in the merchant's miniquest, meaning you didn't get max AP here, but even if you had, Rean still would have ended up second place. Falcom considered highlighting Alisa's natural affinity for commerce to be more important than giving the player an honest chance to come out on top.

The scene with Laura is another example of something that holds more meaning if you've played the Sky series. The first game allowed you to make the acquaintance of three other followers of the Eight Leaf school, though only one of them made it to Divine Blade status and the other two aren't mentioned to be practitioners of the style until Trails in the Sky the 3rd. (though if you paid attention, you should already know who they are)

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Erpy posted:

The scene with Laura is another example of something that holds more meaning if you've played the Sky series. The first game allowed you to make the acquaintance of three other followers of the Eight Leaf school, though only one of them made it to Divine Blade status and the other two aren't mentioned to be practitioners of the style until Trails in the Sky the 3rd. (though if you paid attention, you should already know who they are)

Cassius and Anelace are pretty obvious here, though I'm blanking on who the other one could be. Julia or Mueller, probably? (I just started The 3rd like an hour ago.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This part here starts the dynamic between Rean and Laura I really, really like. And it makes sense the person who can see through him is another swords(wo)man.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
That scene between Laura and Rean the morning after is easily one of my favorites in the Cold Steel franchise, it really highlights how reasonable and mature Laura is. In just about any another JRPG, this would be some dumb side plot that carried on for a few chapters, and instead Laura and Rean talked it over like reasonable human beings. I love that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- In my opinion, Angel is one of the better Master Quartz once fully upgraded. It can literally be a lifesaver in certain boss battles (although how much that will matter on Normal difficulty depends). The "recover from K.O." thing gets a lot more powerful as it levels up, restoring more health and more CP. All the first properties of a master quartz tend to increase every time they level up.
- "I hope one of them dies!" :allears:
- Yeah, these first games in a series tend to be slow burns, and then they suddenly kick up into crazytown in the final few hours. :munch:
- You regret buying from merchant Luce, do you? Would you say that you fell for a... honey trap?
- It hasn't had much chance to show through yet, but when she's not overcompensating for embarrassment, is easy to get along with. She's also got a good head for math, so no doubt wouldn't make the mistakes of Elliot and Laura in terms of discounts.
- When the time changes to evening, you can't do any more fighting, the party will refuse to go out onto the road.
- "We're just going to leave Elliot behind." And nothing of value was lost. (Kidding!)
- Thors does have an entrance exam everyone needs to pass to get in. It does allow commoners in, and while it's probably not the cheapest school, probably isn't super-expensive if, say, food merchant Lymon can afford to send Becky there. How exactly Alisa is paying for the school is a thing which comes up later, though.
- "We'd all be happier if youse kids was to 'take care of' Mr. Zwordar for us.
you get what I'm sayin'?"
- Celdic is somewhat like Bose from Trails in the Sky. Basically all the NPC chatter there revolved around business deals or being a merchant.

Erpy posted:

You didn't pick all the optimal answers in the merchant's miniquest, meaning you didn't get max AP here, but even if you had, Rean still would have ended up second place. Falcom considered highlighting Alisa's natural affinity for commerce to be more important than giving the player an honest chance to come out on top.

It is more than okay that Rean is not portrayed as the best at everything. He gets a generous dollop of "wow you're so awesome" focus as it is.

Getting the perfect choices all three times is kinda hard to do without a guide. For best results: Tomatoes for 35 mira, Wine for 900 AND Cheese for 20% off , 6 cabbage for 30 mira.

Dawgstar posted:

This part here starts the dynamic between Rean and Laura I really, really like. And it makes sense the person who can see through him is another swords(wo)man.

It is a nice dynamic and a great scene. It definitely made Laura a lot more interesting than she had been before then, and made me like her more. Unfortunately, that dynamic doesn't really get explored much - at least not in the main plot.

One other thing I liked about that scene was something which very rarely happens in the games at all: two of the Class VII members are talking without Rean being in the scene.

Lynkericious posted:

That scene between Laura and Rean the morning after is easily one of my favorites in the Cold Steel franchise, it really highlights how reasonable and mature Laura is. In just about any another JRPG, this would be some dumb side plot that carried on for a few chapters, and instead Laura and Rean talked it over like reasonable human beings. I love that.

Unfortunately, that's kinda undercut a little because Laura actually DOES get a dumb "can't get along with a classmate" side plot which carries on for a few chapters. (Way too long for the actual weight of the problem.)

Level 1 Thief posted:

That's something I've been keeping in mind, though more as a good reason to try to keep the buffs up than something to hit right away. So far the fights in the field study haven't gone long enough for it to be a big concern, even the scary dinosaur (though I'm pretty sure we're about to hit the chapter boss, so that may change).

Yes, Chapter/Act bosses are a LOT stronger than even quest monsters. A strategy of S-Craft spamming is not likely to work. You'll just drain all your CP and the boss will still be standing. As you progress, boss health increases at a faster rate than your damage. That is in part because you're also accumulating more tools to deal with/survive the bosses in other ways.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 23, 2019

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Rean is generally rather straight-forward when filling out his student notebook, but the Zwordar quest really triggers his inner snarker, for some reason. Reading that section is pretty amusing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is a nice dynamic and a great scene. It definitely made Laura a lot more interesting than she had been before then, and made me like her more. Unfortunately, that dynamic doesn't really get explored much - at least not in the main plot.

Honestly I think that's why Laura was one of my focuses when it came to bonding events.

quote:

Yes, Chapter/Act bosses are a LOT stronger than even quest monsters. A strategy of S-Craft spamming is not likely to work. You'll just drain all your CP and the boss will still be standing. As you progress, boss health increases at a faster rate than your damage. That is in part because you're also accumulating more tools to deal with/survive the bosses in other ways.

I was playing through at first, going with the S-Craft spam air-quotes tactic. Like probably a lot of people, I finished off the prologue robo-twins with Sara's S-Craft. I didn't realize that Sara was on another level than the other students so I kinda had to adapt quickly.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I got this game as a gift over Christmas and have been playing it a lot. By now I've almost reached the point where the previous LP stopped, maybe two-thirds of the way through the plot.

My save file has 70 hours on it. So far.

:tviv:

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

14. Turnabout Grand Market

Something suspicious is going down in the market, but it's nothing four fashionable teens can't solve in between murdering giant birds.

Erpy posted:

Rean is generally rather straight-forward when filling out his student notebook, but the Zwordar quest really triggers his inner snarker, for some reason. Reading that section is pretty amusing.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- Main quest directions ARE in the student notebook, just not in the quest section, but in the main one.

- The "weapon vulnerabilities" only determine unbalancing odds, not damage. The reason Laura hit so hard on that snail was because she just had a new weapon, has high base strength AND started the fight with a 25% strength buff. Her second attack on the snail was noticably weaker, though still potent.

- That was a lucky shot with the petrification status proccing. Note that petrification works slightly different in Cold Steel in that hitting a petrified target only has a chance of instant kill. In Sky, anything that could be petrified would be damaged by the exact amount of HP they had left. (which could lead to funny results like Kloe's attack hitting a monster for 5 digit damage or Estelle's strongest S-craft on a critical turn with boosted strength only hitting a monster for 5 HP or so) In Cold Steel, a petrified monster getting hit has like 40% chance of getting hit with the deathblow effect, meaning that if a monster is vulnerable to petrification but immune to instant death you still have to wittle its HP down manually.

- I love how Mina, the kid with the little kitten near the church, is continuously looking back and forth between Jake and Suzie.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Another reason to not replace one of Alisa's attack quartz with Tear is because she already has a single-target heal on Angel with Thelas. It heals people even if they aren't dead.
- The four damage types are Slash (Rean, Laura & Jusis), Thrust (Gaius & Jusis), Pierce (Alisa & Machias), and Strike (Laura & Machias). (I think Fie is moderately okay at everything except Strike.)
- Pierce is "anti-flying", and Strike is basically your "anti-armor" type. I'm not sure that Slash and Thrust fit nicely into specific roles.
- Don't get used to being able to petrify mini-bosses, because it's so strong, most strong enemies and bosses are resistant to it.
- Yes, always turn the quests back into the quest-giver. Even though you will get AP credit for completing them anyway, you will NOT get the reward without talking to the quest-giver.
- When casting, you should probably consider elemental weaknesses and not just EP cost of spells. Golden Sphere might have been cheaper, but Zwordar takes an extra 70% damage from fire, so Heatwave could have been a better choice.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Slash is generally effective against soft, slime or mucus-based enemies. Thrust is generally effective against four-legged animals.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I recall seeing a summary on what the various elements mean in this setting. (Eg, earth <-> defense, time <-> speed and death) Was any of that stated officially, or is it all fan discussion? I was trying to track it down and couldn't remember where.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

NGDBSS posted:

I recall seeing a summary on what the various elements mean in this setting. (Eg, earth <-> defense, time <-> speed and death) Was any of that stated officially, or is it all fan discussion? I was trying to track it down and couldn't remember where.

Earth is defense, Water is magic defense and HP, Fire is attack, Wind is magical attack and movement (not speed). The higher elements are a bit trickier. Time is speed and death, Space is... well, space (the Vanish status effect is tied to Space, and it's basically the victim getting shunted to another dimension). Mirage is "cognition," which shows up mostly by being the element associated with the Confusion status effect.

e: The elements also have some meanings that are not specifically an official thing, but the orbment elements of basically every playable character in the Trails series provide insight into their personalities.

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 31, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I recall some discussion on that (CS1 SPOILERS, DON'T READ) on the Steam forums. Never mind the topic of the thread. I'll just paraphrase the relevant parts of the discussion.

Keep in mind that these are just personal interpretations which are largely reverse-engineered (character X has these traits, and they have that color, so that color means those traits), and that colors tend to have more than one possible meaning. Additionally, no character has more than two colors, so reducing their personality down to just what orbment locks they have are is an oversimplification. Orbment locks have a gameplay use. In terms of symbolic meanings, though:

butterbattle22 posted:

Red: Fire. Passion. Anger. Intensity of emotion. Love and blood. The color of tsunderes and doing things without thinking it through. Lol. Agate and Alisa, enough said.

Green: Wind. Freedom. Very likely to be socially liberal on a political compass test. Lol. Not as constrained by societal norms or cultural boundaries. Moves from place to place without being tied down.

Blue: Water. Devotion. Compassion. Supports and heals others.

Brown: Earth. Solidarity. Well grounded. Tough and protective. Strong bonds with ones family and/or community.

(Source)

Not quite so sure about that interpretation for Wind, as Jusis has a locked Wind slot, and he feels very constrained by societal norms and is very tied down.

The higher elements also have symbolic interpretations for them as well, but I don't want to provoke a lot of clue hunting for people looking for plot in orbment slots, so I'll decline to say what those mean.

- Machias was described by the OP earlier as "not noble by birth, but noble thanks to his father's position. That's not really accurate, Machias's father isn't a noble just because he holds an important political position.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 31, 2019

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Sorry, it's gonna be a few more days before the next one. I'll try to get it up as soon as possibe!

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

15. Mushroom Kingdom

With the utmost of stealth, we carefully pick our way through the nature park, murdering just about every creature and fungus we see.

Just so you know what to expect, there's a brief cutscene at the start and then the entire back 90% of this video is dungeon crawling. Yes, I'm going to go back to get that recipe and accessory.

- Machias was described by the OP earlier as "not noble by birth, but noble thanks to his father's position. That's not really accurate, Machias's father isn't a noble just because he holds an important political position.

Gonna totally throw Fletcher under the bus here, I'm not the one who said that nor did I ever really think of it that way. That said it does make it seem like Jusis thinks of it that way, but I doubt it's a common sentiment amongst the nobles.

- When casting, you should probably consider elemental weaknesses and not just EP cost of spells. Golden Sphere might have been cheaper, but Zwordar takes an extra 70% damage from fire, so Heatwave could have been a better choice.

Earth does 165% damage instead of 170, so it's not like it would've been much of a difference in damage. I think a better argument would be that it wasn't going to hit until after the boss's turn so it probably would've moved out of the way had it not been petrified first.

Erpy posted:

- The "weapon vulnerabilities" only determine unbalancing odds, not damage. The reason Laura hit so hard on that snail was because she just had a new weapon, has high base strength AND started the fight with a 25% strength buff. Her second attack on the snail was noticably weaker, though still potent.

That makes sense, I always forget that the damage scaling isn't linear so you get through the whole range of "1 damage" to "INSTANT MURDER" pretty fast.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- In Zemuria, you run into monsters everywhere that isn’t a town. You ran by a bunch just getting to the farmhouse. They’re just a fact of life in this world, which despite how that should drastically change how ordinary people live, doesn’t really seem to. (But we should just ignore that.)

- Rean can sense things (which is probably meant to just be an exaggeration of good hearing), but not at unlimited range, and even if he could, there are so many creatures in the forest that he probably couldn’t pick out a couple people laying low out from all the other creatures making noise.

- The Lunaria gate scene reminds me of the scene from Trails in the Sky FC, where instead of breaking a padlock to investigate a clearly abandoned place, Schera made Estelle go back to get a key, because as Bracers, they shouldn’t destroy others property.

- If you haven't upgraded weapons before entering the final dungeon of a chapter, there's little point in getting to the end and going back to upgrade. Well, I guess it would help with the boss, but otherwise it's best to save up for the next field study at that point.

- The Trails games are good in that they have anti-grinding built in. If you're underlevelled, you get extra XP and can catch up quickly. If you're overlevelled, you get lower and lower until getting only 1. So only fight as much as you want. Killing everything in a dungeon once is about right. Fight more if you're just about to level up a master quartz or a link. It takes more XP than you'd expect from an almost full bar.

- Casting starts out weak, thanks to low EP, casting times, and small AoE's, but it ends up strong. If you're diligent with your quests and correct multiple choice answers, you might just get a helpful quartz for casters (Ingenuity) a couple chapters later.

- You can always put the Detection quartz onto someone for a moment to check for nearby treasure chests. You don't need to keep it on. FEDIT: Wait, you already do have it on. Well... just keep that in mind for later once you have more slots and better quartz.

- Monsters which give an active voice warning can't be stunned on the field. At best you can get a single advantage on them.

- Fortuna is the magic equivalent of Motivate. Like Motivate, it's not that useful in normal battles, but it can make a big difference in fights against tough enemies and bosses. Also, because Fortuna is a space element spell, it can be especially potent in the late game if you specifically max out the Angel MQ.

- Laura's pain sound really sounds like it's actually Elliot's pain sound.

- 34:25 - Actually, the Heatwave WOULD have hit both of those enemies. You missed the second arrow over the other one's head.

- The Heatwave from the monster chest was the Rare version, which gives stat boosts as well as a spell. But it boosts stats which aren't that useful for Alisa .

Level 1 Thief posted:

Earth does 165% damage instead of 170, so it's not like it would've been much of a difference in damage. I think a better argument would be that it wasn't going to hit until after the boss's turn so it probably would've moved out of the way had it not been petrified first.

Golden Sphere and Angel as well are Space-elemental, not earth. Yes, it can sometimes be easy to get the yellow and light brown mixed up at the start. For most areas of the game, Space (Yellow), Time (Black) and Mirage (White) are all considered non-elemental and therefore have only 100% Efficacy, so that was actually a 70% difference.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 8, 2019

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Okay, come on. That one's not on me are you serious Falcom.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Rushing in past a monster, nabbing a treasure chest and then running away isn't usually successful because the game won't let you open any chests if a monster is too close to it.

Laura's Armor Breaker comes with a native chance to seal its target. No sure fire thing, but frequent enough to come in handy. The mute status was simply because she has a mute status quartz equipped.

Forte's generally not that useful (unlike La Forte), but Rean's Motivate is limited to the area around Rean (even though it's a massive area), so it's possible for it to miss people who got separated from the rest. The only time I've really used Forte was to quickly renew +50% buffs that were about to run out on fighters like Laura.

This has been mentioned before, but there's little point in sitting on Alisa's and Elliot's CP all the time. They don't have S-crafts at this point, so you're not holding back 200 CP nukes for emergencies. If you don't have any analyzing/buffing to do with Elliot at this moment, you can use his Blue Lullaby to attack enemies in a larger area than his default attack does and have a chance of putting them to sleep too. Alisa should use her own CP to pump CP into Rean and Laura, so they can go wild with Autumn Leaf Cutter, Motivate, Armor Breaker and Earth Cleaver. CP rises so much faster in Cold Steel than in Sky, courtesy of Double/Triple advantage, Motivate and Alisa, that you can double your current craft use and still have plenty to spare.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Level 1 Thief posted:

That makes sense, I always forget that the damage scaling isn't linear so you get through the whole range of "1 damage" to "INSTANT MURDER" pretty fast.
I think the damage scaling is linear, but the vertical intercept isn't zero. Testing would obviously be a pain without a lot of data collection and rigor, but I figure that it uses something similar to FF5 where damage was figured as (attack - defense) * multipliers. So if your attack value is close to the target's defense, any change in either will make a lot of difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm glad I wasn't the only one using Laura's S-Craft as a panic button at this point.