Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The teacher is on my Dream Team of Awesome Characters from Zemuria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think both systems have their merits. Sky ends up giving you a wider variety of Arts so casters can still contribute in randoms, but Steel gives you Orbal Staffs and all around more useful Crafts (Resounding Beat is an awesome buff and you have it from the beginning) with Arts being much more powerful so you can bring them out to nuke bosses

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Fie was my random battle clearer of choice. It's so easy to turn her into a dodge tank with high attack and with the million ways to top off CP by the end of the game, she'll kick everything's rear end.

Until the sequel when all the enemies start dodge-tanking as well so everyone needs Hit Quartz.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really wish I had gone into these games knowing not to play them like Sky. Being a CP battery is like, the one thing Alissa excels at, so as a result I never really used her unless I had to and she was almost always dead weight. I had a VERY hard time in II, although part of that was the obscene health everything gets in the last half.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

She also excels at casting.

Yeah but Emma and Elliot are better at it, and Elliot can make you basically immortal and Emma can just straight up nuke some poo poo

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Beryl is...uh...hmmm...let's say interesting

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Jusis is probably my favorite main character as far as plot goes in the Erebonia games. But with 3 and 4 coming out and the (apparently) massive plot dumps that come with them, that could change

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

And since it's an item you'll never use anyway because "what if I need it later", that just isn't worth it.

Sky and Cold Steel actually broke me of that habit. Especially because bosses in the latter half of Cold Steel II can be a bitch and a half.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm replaying the first two games in preparation for 3 and loving hell Machias. Shut the gently caress up and let the grown ups who know how to control their blood pressure do things.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You had me until you said Machias, then I knew you were a lying liar lieface

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
2 is when you really need to start messing with stuff.

Spoiler, dude + Tauros MQ + Domination Quartz + 200 CP S-Break = Fun times!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is so notably not a musical, there was an entire episode of the Simpsons about how absurd it'd be as a musical.

That was A Streetcar Named Desire. I'm the biggest Tennessee Williams nerd in all the land.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Irina is garbage and needs to be set on fire. Of course, Sharon would probably show up to put her out after hauling rear end from Crossbell, but still

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Since rods can only get certain kinds of fish (one notable exception later), switching to a weaker one can be useful for filling in gaps

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

CottonWolf posted:

And they didn't cause the international incident. They just happen to be in its vicinity.

...or did they?

Everything in Erebonia revolves around Class VII. Everything. People aren't allowed to marry without 5 or more members signing off on it

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I never used Millium my first playthrough of the first two games. I'm on team "if-I-find-you-annoying-I-don't-care-if-you're-this-games-Thunder-God-Cid-you're-benched", so Millium started off there for me. But she gets a solid arc, I'd say one of the better ones in the series. A lot of it is hidden behind bonding events, though, which is unfortunate.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I agree but it's a pity the dungeon is a five foot long tunnel

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ Even though Millium's objectively a good field character because she (and Laura!) can stun enemies that are facing you, Lammy gets in the way of both the camera and your actual movement, so I tend to never use her. There's an argument for doing so, though.

That was a quality of life fix they took care of in III. Lammy disappears much quicker there

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I fully agree that while I will probably play and replay this game until I die, I hate all the travel time this chapter demands

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I remember being very underwhelmed by Emma's offensive Crafts

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

CottonWolf posted:

The most unbelievable thing about the entire series is the idea that Sara would find it difficult to get dates.

No, it's that Irina has a soul somewhere in there.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Erpy posted:

- Rean remorselessly throwing Sara under the Thomas-shaped bus for all the crap he's had to put up with from her will never not be funny.

If pushing Joshua and Estelle together is the national passttime of Liberl, dunking on Sara is the national passttime of Erebonia

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Sara versus Rean never gets old.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Fie is definitely more like a younger sister, Emma like an older sister, and Laura more of a healthy rival. Alisa is set up for the romantic option, which I really don't agree with. He's got a lot healthier relationship with someone else, who I can't even remember has any bonding events with at this point.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That was my strategy in the last dungeon of II. Keep Millium alive and up that CP at all costs and Tauros the poo poo out of the bosses

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ CS3 has NISA translating directly instead of taking small liberties, like XSeed was unafraid to do. This leads to some really, really stupid reads when we already know there are better voice lines available. Instead of "Evil will fall before my blade" which is wordy as is, but pretty good, you get some asinine long bullshit like "I swear by my sword that I will vanquish (etc, etc)" and she just doesn't shut up.

Honestly, I can't tell much of a difference between the two translation, at least not anything significant. But there is absolutely no universe where Laura S. Arseid uses the word "yeah"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
She says it several times in III and I'm pretty sure at least one of them is voiced

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Millium knows exactly how she acts and absolutely uses it to her advantage. Her racing around campus was absolutely an attempt to find the Old Schoolhouse

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

BearDrivingTruck posted:

It's unclear how sentient Lammy is. My interpretation is that he's not sentient and how he acts is just sort of a weird reflection of Millium's personality, but I may very well be wrong. It might get elaborated on in CS3, which I have yet to play.

That's my leading theory too. Lammy definitely has some slightly silly personality and Claimh Solais is far more subdued, which matches with their partners

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My favorite dungeon of the game, The Legram Witch Project

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
BUT THE WIND! WHOOSH!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's Celes Chere

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Hwurmp posted:

does that mean the C costume is a highly advanced battle archaism, or several more cats

Yes

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

This fakeout is indeed very stupid. I'm still not sure what the framing of the prologue accomplishes, really.

Depends on who you ask. I have my theories that'll have to wait for IV

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'll go on record saying the first boss, once you have 3 people, is the hardest in Cold Steel II.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I just finished a Cold Steel IV marathon and that picture had me so confused for like, 10 seconds

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

NGDBSS posted:

How is it? CS3 seemed good despite the apprehension about NISA doing the localization. It's subtly different from what XSEED did before but it's not the "okay maybe you should have spent another month or two fine-tuning it" output that we got for Tokyo Xanadu and Ex+.

Honestly? I'm really enjoying it. The first part of the first Act is a bit of a slog, but that's kind of a trademark of the Trails series at this point, and it has some really great moments. I'm in Act II now, and I'm approaching 30 hours (I guess quarantine is good for some things). I honestly have no idea how much further I have to go, but I like it better than III so far. The first Act knocked me off balance, but in a very good way, but going into that would constitute SPOILERS so I'm not gonna go into it.

It still feels slightly off from the first two games (I will never be OK with Laura saying "yeah"), but it's far from NISA's worst.

Basically, if you're on the fence, you should go ahead and get it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The Sailor Scouts would fit right in with Class VII and we all know it

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

END ME SCOOB posted:

HOW IS THERE SO loving MUCH

The designers REALLY love the fakeout final dungeon

Until the last game, when the final dungeon ticks off pretty much every box on the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Only thing I'll say about CS2 is you actually need to pay attention to the accuracy stat there