Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feller
Jul 5, 2006

I bought a Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SSD in June to go along with my 500 GB 850 EVO that I've had since May 2015. The problem is with the 1 TB drive. They are both powered by the same cable from the PSU, but use separate cables to connect to the motherboard (I assume this is standard?)

Over the last month and a half, Windows 10 has recognized it less and less often. When this first started, a reboot would fix the problem. I thought I had fixed the problem by telling Windows ot never put the drive to sleep, but last week Windows stopped recognizing the drive completely no matter how many reboots.

When I was initially encountering the problem, I ran chkdisk and the Samsung Magician thing and they both told me there was nothing wrong with the drive. When I was experimenting today, I found that the 2nd drive isn't even detected in the BIOS, but if I change it to use IDE instead of AHCI, the second drive will be detected. The problem with this is that Windows 10 won't start if I change to IDE. It tells me that there's a problem with the boot drive.

This is my power supply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

Also, change the SATA cable and SATA port for that 1TB drive.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Apparently it was the port, thanks. How worried should I be about the other ports also failing if one did?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Senor Dog posted:

Apparently it was the port, thanks. How worried should I be about the other ports also failing if one did?

It's probably just one bad port. But if you have a junky brand/model motherboard more stuff could fail...especially if it was known to have faulty SATA controllers or some kind of defect. Likewise, if the motherboard was very old.

• Locked thread