Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/14/facebook-hired-pr-firm-that-wrote-negative-articles-about-rivals-nyt.html

quote:

Facing scrutiny, Facebook reportedly hired a PR firm that wrote negative articles about rivals Apple, Google

Facebook expanded its work with Definers Public Affairs, a Washington public relations firm, in October 2017 after enduring a years-worth of external criticism over its handling of Russian interference on its social network.

Definers Public Affairs wrote dozens of articles criticizing Google and Apple for their business practices while downplaying the impact of Russia's misinformation campaign on Facebook.

Facebook also used the firm to push the idea that liberal financier George Soros was behind a growing anti-Facebook movement.

Facebook expanded its relationship with a Washington-based public relations firm last year that wrote dozens of articles critical of rivals Google and Apple and pushed the idea that liberal financier George Soros was behind a growing anti-Facebook movement, according to a scathing Wednesday report by the New York Times.

Facebook expanded its relationship with Definers Public Affairs in October 2017 after enduring a year's worth of external criticism over its handling of Russian interference on its social network, according to the report.

The firm reportedly wrote articles that blasted Google and Apple while downplaying the impact of Russian interference on Facebook. Those articles were published on NTK Network, an affiliate of the firm whose content is often followed by politically conservative outlets, including Breitbart, the report says.

Definers Public Affairs also reportedly pressed reporters to explore Soros' financial connections with groups that protested Facebook at Congressional hearings in July.

Facebook expanded its relationship with a Washington-based public relations firm last year that wrote dozens of articles critical of rivals Google and Apple and pushed the idea that liberal financier George Soros was behind a growing anti-Facebook movement, according to a scathing Wednesday report by the New York Times.

Facebook expanded its relationship with Definers Public Affairs in October 2017 after enduring a year's worth of external criticism over its handling of Russian interference on its social network, according to the report.

The firm reportedly wrote articles that blasted Google and Apple while downplaying the impact of Russian interference on Facebook. Those articles were published on NTK Network, an affiliate of the firm whose content is often followed by politically conservative outlets, including Breitbart, the report says.

Definers Public Affairs also reportedly pressed reporters to explore Soros' financial connections with groups that protested Facebook at Congressional hearings in July.

Facebook's relationship with Definers Public Affairs were outlined as part of a broader report that looked at the company's handling of numerous scandals over the past three years, including Russian interference and the Cambridge Analytica scandal in March. Other revelations in the report include Sheryl Sandberg's apparent fury when former security chief Alex Stamos told the board of directors in fall 2017 about the full extent of Russian interference on the platform, and Mark Zuckerberg ordering managers to use Android phones after Apple CEO Tim Cook criticized the company's approach to privacy earlier this year.

Facebook did not immediately return requests for comment on the report.

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/14/technology/facebook-data-russia-election-racism.html

quote:

Sheryl Sandberg was seething.

Inside Facebook’s Menlo Park, Calif., headquarters, top executives gathered in the glass-walled conference room of its founder, Mark Zuckerberg. It was September 2017, more than a year after Facebook engineers discovered suspicious Russia-linked activity on its site, an early warning of the Kremlin campaign to disrupt the 2016 American election. Congressional and federal investigators were closing in on evidence that would implicate the company.

But it wasn’t the looming disaster at Facebook that angered Ms. Sandberg. It was the social network’s security chief, Alex Stamos, who had informed company board members the day before that Facebook had yet to contain the Russian infestation. Mr. Stamos’s briefing had prompted a humiliating boardroom interrogation of Ms. Sandberg, Facebook’s chief operating officer, and her billionaire boss. She appeared to regard the admission as a betrayal.

“You threw us under the bus!” she yelled at Mr. Stamos, according to people who were present.

The clash that day would set off a reckoning — for Mr. Zuckerberg, for Ms. Sandberg and for the business they had built together. In just over a decade, Facebook has connected more than 2.2 billion people, a global nation unto itself that reshaped political campaigns, the advertising business and daily life around the world. Along the way, Facebook accumulated one of the largest-ever repositories of personal data, a treasure trove of photos, messages and likes that propelled the company into the Fortune 500.

But as evidence accumulated that Facebook’s power could also be exploited to disrupt elections, broadcast viral propaganda and inspire deadly campaigns of hate around the globe, Mr. Zuckerberg and Ms. Sandberg stumbled. Bent on growth, the pair ignored warning signs and then sought to conceal them from public view. At critical moments over the last three years, they were distracted by personal projects, and passed off security and policy decisions to subordinates, according to current and former executives.

When Facebook users learned last spring that the company had compromised their privacy in its rush to expand, allowing access to the personal information of tens of millions of people to a political data firm linked to President Trump, Facebook sought to deflect blame and mask the extent of the problem.

And when that failed — as the company’s stock price plummeted and it faced a consumer backlash — Facebook went on the attack.

While Mr. Zuckerberg has conducted a public apology tour in the last year, Ms. Sandberg has overseen an aggressive lobbying campaign to combat Facebook’s critics, shift public anger toward rival companies and ward off damaging regulation. Facebook employed a Republican opposition-research firm to discredit activist protesters, in part by linking them to the liberal financier George Soros. It also tapped its business relationships, lobbying a Jewish civil rights group to cast some criticism of the company as anti-Semitic.

In Washington, allies of Facebook, including Senator Chuck Schumer, the Democratic Senate leader, intervened on its behalf. And Ms. Sandberg wooed or cajoled hostile lawmakers, while trying to dispel Facebook’s reputation as a bastion of Bay Area liberalism.

This account of how Mr. Zuckerberg and Ms. Sandberg navigated Facebook’s cascading crises, much of which has not been previously reported, is based on interviews with more than 50 people. They include current and former Facebook executives and other employees, lawmakers and government officials, lobbyists and congressional staff members. Most spoke on the condition of anonymity because they had signed confidentiality agreements, were not authorized to speak to reporters or feared retaliation.

Facebook declined to make Mr. Zuckerberg and Ms. Sandberg available for comment. In a statement, a spokesman acknowledged that Facebook had been slow to address its challenges but had since made progress fixing the platform.

“This has been a tough time at Facebook and our entire management team has been focused on tackling the issues we face,” the statement said. “While these are hard problems we are working hard to ensure that people find our products useful and that we protect our community from bad actors.”

Even so, trust in the social network has sunk, while its pell-mell growth has slowed. Regulators and law enforcement officials in the United States and Europe are investigating Facebook’s conduct with Cambridge Analytica, a political data firm that worked with Mr. Trump’s 2016 campaign, opening up the company to fines and other liability. Both the Trump administration and lawmakers have begun crafting proposals for a national privacy law, setting up a yearslong struggle over the future of Facebook’s data-hungry business model.

“We failed to look and try to imagine what was hiding behind corners,” Elliot Schrage, former vice president for global communications, marketing and public policy at Facebook, said in an interview.

Mr. Zuckerberg, 34, and Ms. Sandberg, 49, remain at the company’s helm, while Mr. Stamos and other high-profile executives have left after disputes over Facebook’s priorities. Mr. Zuckerberg, who controls the social network with 60 percent of the voting shares and who approved many of its directors, has been asked repeatedly in the last year whether he should step down as chief executive.

His answer each time: a resounding “No.”

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
Listen, op, if I wanted to read that much I would have my GED by now.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

poopnanners posted:

Listen, op, if I wanted to read that much I would have my GED by now.

Ok, I will give you the TL;DR;, but only because it's you and you are the best poster in GBS (the other just don't read): facebook maybe bad.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

limaCAT posted:

Ok, I will give you the TL;DR;, but only because it's you and you are the best poster in GBS (the other just don't read): facebook got cock envy and hired pubbies to say Apple and Googles cock is bad too and it's all about how you use it anyway

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Did you even read the crap you posted yourself? You have doubled paragraphs and poo poo.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK2UwkMGEWo

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
OP i read those articles yesterday and to be frank - i'm mad!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

*cracks knuckles, sits down to write opening line of article *

"Sheryl... Sssandberg.... was... sssseething."

*nods with a proud smile *

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
loving SOROS :argh:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Criticizing Facebook is anti-semitism

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Who the gently caress uses facebook :shrug:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
I just got done posting a pepe and boy are my libs owned!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Skeleton Ape posted:

Who the gently caress uses facebook :shrug:

Your mom

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Jawdins posted:

I just got done posting a pepe and boy are my libs owned!

Were they triggered?

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
just lol if you can't see that the current state of divided opinions where citizen vs citizen is the status quo as opposed to the common enemy only helps said enemy

lol

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

limaCAT posted:

Were they triggered?

Triggered, cucked, you name it :smug:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Extreme lol that Zuckerberg has started wearing body armor what a babyback bitch

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Enjoy leaning into federal prison, Sheryl.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Extreme lol that Zuckerberg has started wearing body armor what a babyback bitch

it's actually a Lacdo case made in the shape of body armor and full of usb keys and SDs with the personal data of people who have been mean to him

Asshole Rose
Dec 28, 2017
Can’t cuck the Zuck :grin:

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I only post on PooPooBook

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Vaginal Vagrant posted: