Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
This thread made me look some things up which allowed me to find out that Leonard Kachinsky became a judge.... what the christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Raldikuk posted:

This thread made me look some things up which allowed me to find out that Leonard Kachinsky became a judge.... what the christ

Brenden’s creepy lawyer that spent hours meowing at his clerk until she filed harassment claims? The gently caress?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I just finished season 2 a few days ago, and it really just felt like 1/3 of it was an ad for Kathleen Zellner. I'm sure that was the point, and why she did it pro bono, but it got a little frustrating sometimes listening to her talk about all the things Avery's original lawyers should have done. I don't think Avery had the money, nor would the lawyers have the time to do a quarter of the things Zellner does, and some of her conclusions are stretches. Still interesting to watch all the things a defense lawyer can do to try and muddy the waters to prove their client's innocence.

Brendan's part was frustrating as ever considering he got so close to being released and now looks doomed forever. Only thing I learned from the Appellate Court parts is that the judges really don't care about oral arguments. You could tell immediately from the questioning which way the judges were going to vote.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
In fairness, as much as Brendan's lawyer was a very cool lady, the fact remains that she got his case as a student before this was known beyond Wisconsin, and she's still quite green. I found her oral arguments cringeworthy at points. The questioning was pointed, but her responses were incredibly weak. She believed much more internally in the truth of Brandon's situation than she was able to prove or substantiate it under nearly any scrutiny. She had one or two good arguments and just kept repeating them. If I didn't already agree I wouldn't have been swayed.

And that just sucks.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah. She played morality police and the argument against Brendan was that if you are going to change the rules of what evidentiarily constitues coersion you had better have a homerun knockout argument, which they feel she didn't as a majority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Raldikuk posted:

Apparently he was found not guilty, just weird as hell.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/former_lawyer_for_brendan_dassey_is_acquitted_on_stalking_charge_he_did_meo

• Locked thread