Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Rusted Shirt

Face to face with an intruder.
It seems calm and at the ready
This will be a true test.

Hands the focus
likely weapons
be they physical or magic

In either case avoid them
Slash tendons, crack bone,
Flesh is weak and ephemeral.

My rival is inert.
Has their enchantment failed?
There's an evil monster right above you.

Never mind, I'll do it myself.
Just kill the unholy abomination.
You just lie there, it's fine.

Who here among the skeletons was once a great rival of yours, and in what endeavor?
I killed Headless and vice versa when we were sacrifices, for holy glory and honour.
Whose bones rest within the great sarcophagus?
Kelchiredzem, a vile creature defeated in ages past.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Tattered Cloak

the one with the rusted shirt

they were sent here to die
i was sent here to kill
now we both kill

i heard from the chopping block
among us the spear was weak
no strength to lead cattle to slaughter
none would listen to their words
(I never knew whoever this person is now. This is merely a rumor.)

yet they killed the cross-bearer
interesting what fear does to people
i know it well

to the matter at hand
desecrators
i let the coward take easy prey
whatever this torch lights
that is my charge
may their blood run fast

Attacking whatever the second target is.

What byname did you earn in life that describes your greatest accomplishment?
Blood Standard, a name for the cloak which was once sopping in blood, as well as the executioner who bore it.
Who here among the skeletons richly deserves this fate, and why?
Rusted Shirt, for being an unfit leader among forsaken sacrifices.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Arrow-shield
Nothern Crossroad

Either the creature does not notice you, or it does not care. It keeps digging at the wall, the groove becoming noticeably deeper every time. Just as you are about to strike something gives you away and the creature tries to jump away. You still hit it, but only with a glancing blow that does not seem to inflict much damage.

They might be able to get away. Surging from the groove in the wall, the intruder tries to shove you away and create some distance. What do you do?

-

Rusted Shirt
Southern Crossroad

You strike out at the held-out palms, the blade of your spear rasping across then ancient bones. The creature pulls them back, more in surprise than pain.

They might be able to get away. Seemingly shocked by your aggression, they slowly back away towards the southern entryway, not letting you out of their eyes. What do you do?
-

Tattered Cloak
Southern Entryway

As you enter the southern entryway, you see that the pulsing light does not emanate from a torch, but rather from a full set of elongated bones, neatly arranged on the ground. Red light is arcing between the still inanimate pieces, starting to coalesce into tendons. A creature, similar to the one you saw in the previous room, was kneeling next to the bones, performing some last adjustments to the whole. Seeing you burst into the room they stand up and move protectively in front of their inanimate comrade.

What do you do?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

Ah-ha! Swiftly now
Shield-bash its claws
Axe-splinter its knees.

Now I'm awake! This is just like the old times! The good times, before all the hatred, before the dealings, the sacrifice. Oh, politics, and drat the lot of it - this is what's good in the world, a good fight against a good foe, though here it may not be quite so. I loved it when I had flesh to bleed and I love it even now, dry as I am. If only this melee were shared with everyone else - the blood standard, rù̵͟s̴̕t̷́e͠d͡͠͡ ͝s̶͠h̡́͝i̛͜͝r̷̷̡t, he͝͡a̛͟ḑ̷͡l̶̶̢e͜͠ś͢s͜͏, the whole bastard lot of them (why do their names not spring to mind?). I never loved anything more than a good fight, and I never loved a good fight more than when it was with them. No time for curiosity now, only the breaking of bones. Whose?, it matters not.

Steadily advance
Jab at the enemy
Then pulverise them.

-

Arrow-shield is blocking their block and going in for the kill, hitting weak points and keeping them on their toes with quick jabs in the confined tunnels.

Whom did you once love?
Arrow-shield loves all the other skeletons.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Tattered Cloak

more of them
well

this creature is much like us
profane as they may be
(It could be said that we are profane as well...)
before it makes more
we must strike hard

it stands to halt my advance
i shake my head
fire and sinew draw its frame
may iron break it
(Just don't singe the cloak...)

No need for caution. Kill, fast.

Blood Standard, a name for the cloak which was once sopping in blood, as well as the executioner who bore it.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Arrow-shield
Nothern Crossroad

You try and press your advantage, but the creature is more agile than you would have thought possible on the treacherous floor of the tomb.

GLORY FADES

As your axe-hand jabs out, your adversary manages to catch your wrist, and with the unnatural strength that allows them to excavate rock walls, they crush it, leaving sharp splintered bones behind.

They might be able to overpower you. They roar in triumph as the now inert bones of your hand clatter to the floor alongside the axe. What do you do?

-

Tattered Cloak
Southern Entryway

Almost reluctantly the intruder focuses on your aggression, doing his best to avoid your blade and looking for an opening.

They might be able to fight free. During the melee, your positions shift and you notice that the creature is about to make a run for the corridor to the southern crossroads, from where the light of their comrade's tendons beckons. What do you do?

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 24, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Rusted Shirt

Advance with caution
Something seems off here
I will not let down my guard.

Alert to trickery
Wise to subterfuge
Aware of chicanery.

I maintain my advance
I continue my duty
I stab it repeatedly.

Who here among the skeletons was once a great rival of yours, and in what endeavor?
I killed Headless and vice versa when we were sacrifices, for holy glory and honour.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Tattered Cloak

find purchase
drat this creature

perhaps a more willing target
more cooperative

the chest of the sleeping creature
or what may serve
what a fine scabbard

Scatter them bones.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

In the crucible
Pain can also be
Opportunity!

One sharp point is as good as any other - against a fleshy foe. Against this hell-fiend, it's only to my detriment, but if I survive, who knows how useful it may be?

No more smashing now
Switch to crushing now
Swift shield bashing.

-

Arrow-shield is going to bash the hell-fiend's ribs and skull with the metal edge of their shield.

Whom did you once love?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Arrow-shield
Nothern Crossroad

The creature did not expect your quick recovery after losing a hand. You shield catches them squarely in the jaw mid-roar.

You might be able to hurt them here. Off balance, they fall to the ground. Do you inflict harm?

-

Tattered Cloak
Southern Entryway

The bones scatter easily and as soon as you disturb their delicate arrangement, the pulsing light fades and dies out.

What do you do?

-

Rusted Shirt
Southern Crossroad

You follow the intruder during their retreat, using the reach of your lance to jab at them repeatedly. While the unholy magic still holds them together, you notice that some of the ancient bones are starting to crack under your assault.

They might be able to get away. The intruder tosses all caution to the wind, turns around, and runs towards the beckoning light of his companion coming up from the Southern Entryway. Do they get away?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

Blow for merry blow
Good battles are fought
And pride defended.

I raise my shield aloft, holding the edge with both--with one hand, mimicking with the splintered stump. Then I bring it crashing down on the dazed hell-fiend's skull, again, again, thrice, and again. Edge-on, a good shield makes for as good a bludgeon as any praetorian's cudgel.

If they were alive
This would be the part
Where the glory ends.

Will it now?

-

Going in for the kill.

Whom did you once love?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Tattered Cloak

as i thought
I interrupt the ritual
the glow fades
one fewer creature
(That's my theory, at least.)

now for the kill
find the beasts
slay the beasts
return to slumber

back to the crossing
it can't have gone far

Up to the southern crossing.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rusted Shirt

They think they can get away.
They turn their back and flee
I level the half-spear and charge.

An exposed back
A huge target
A well-aimed jab

You're not going anywhere
Your foul existence ends here and now
Yore witnessed you but the future will not.

No escape.
No mercy.
No survivors.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Arrow-shield
Nothern Crossroad

The skull gives under your relentless assault. As the bone shatters, the fiery tendons linking it to the neck flare up and vanish, the broken skull falls to the ground. The creature manages to crawl away from under you and scurries into a corner, their hands probing the place their skull used to be.

You might be able to hurt them here. The intruder seems dazed and leave themselves entirely open. Do you inflict harm?

-

Rusted Shirt
Southern Crossroad

Your jab hits one of the previously damaged bones, a vertebrae, which cracks open under the impact, but does not shatter. The light blazing from within is far brighter than that arcing between the old bones. Immediately the creature spins around, a panicky move that almost throws them off balance.

They might be able to get away. A second unholy creature approaches from the south and your hurt opponent does their best to put the newcomer between you and them. Do they get away?

-

Tattered Cloak
Southern Crossroad

Swiftly you walk along the corridor until you turn the corner to the Southern Crossroad. Rusted Shirt seems to be holding off two of the intruders, one of which is trying to disengage and backing off towards you.

What do you do?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

Vanquished enemies
No longer sporting
Who is this creature?

Mercy flickers before the laws of this place snuff it out. The most merciful choice I have left is a swift kill. If removing the head didn't work, I can instead work downwards.

Strike the Headless one
Crack their spine open
Let the lightning out.

-

Whom did you once love?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Tattered Cloak

my quarry is here
along with its friend
it recoils from something
the rust-shirt may have done

don't worry rusty
i can clean up after you

swing down while the two dance
catch the shoulder perhaps
it thought it could run
what a fool

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rusted Shirt

Finally, one of the others hasn't completely moldered away.
Finally, we can outflank these things and destroy them.
Finally, we shall complete our latest duty.

I press my attack
I jab with the half-spear, hack with the blade
I permit Blood Standard to assist with the clean up.

We will grant them no escape.
We will grant them no succour.
We will grant them only a swift and dishonourable death.

Working in tandem with the other amongst the Worthy.
Nowhere for the enemy to go
Except the next life.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Arrow-shield
Nothern Crossroad

You aim for your opponent's spine and bring down your shield in a brutal arc.

You might be able to kill them here. The top of the spine is cracking open, the light inside shining bright. Do you kill them?

-

Rusted Shirt
Southern Crossroad

Driven by the need to defend their friend, the unholy creature throws itself at you.

They might be able to overpower you. With a reckless lunge the intruder tries to tackle you and drag you to the ground. Do they succeed?

-

Tattered Cloak
Southern Crossroad

Your blade comes down catching the hurt creature in the back, somewhere between shoulder and neck.

You might be able to kill them here. The unexpected momentum of your attack drives the intruder forward, to their knees. Do you kill them?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

May whatever waits on the other side have just as much mercy on this poor creature as I do.

-

Putting down the hell-fiend/builder creature. Let's do this!

Whom did you once love?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Tattered Cloak

do
you
have
to
ask

this is simple
almost boring
too many times
an outlaw put to the sword
in just this position

but one must respect tradition
harken back to the good times
blood or no
satisfying all the same

Of course we kill them.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rusted Shirt

Reckless
Feckless
Pointless.

They lunge at me.
They lunge at my weapons
They get the point. (And the edge.)

It isn't about vertical.
It isn't about horizontal.
It's about not closing in when that's a free hit.

Throwing itself at me.
Throwing away its life.
My aim is to catch and to end.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Arrow-shield
Nothern Crossroad

One last swing and the bone splits apart. Fiery tongues burst forth, lash out briefly then vanish. The remaining bones clatter to the ground, an inert pile.

What do you do?

-

Tattered Cloak
Southern Crossroad

You plunge your blade into the opening, crack open the vertebrae and the fire escapes from it. It wraps around your sword for an instant then is gone. The remains of the intruder fall to the ground, a tangle of old bones.

What do you do?

-

Rusted Shirt
Southern Crossroad

You catch the fiend with your blade, scraping deep gouges into the bones, but almost lose balance under the impact.

They might be able to get away. Realizing his hopeless situation, the intruder does his best to shove you to the side and move further into the tomb. Do they succeed?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Tattered Cloak

look at this
my quarry is slain
rusty still lingers with theirs
pathetic

i'll flank the beast
while rust fumbles with their unwieldy weapon
and finish what they may have started

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

I am yet awake
There must be more foes
For the rest to fight.

I've done my part in this bloodless fight, and the enemy wasn't worth the effort in the end. For now, I can look and see how these creatures wanted to cut up and change the tomb - where this new passage would lead, had we not interrupted them, and whether it looks like the passages of old or is in some new style.

Who were these creatures
What did they want here
And why did they wake?

-

Investigating the passage the builder was trying to carve.

Whom did you once love?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rusted Shirt

Let them shove past.
The Blood Standard awaits them.
They cannot get farther.

What matters is that they are ended.
We have the patience of the dead.
They have the urgency of impending mortality.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Arrow-shield
Nothern Crossroad

You turn away from the inert remains of your adversary and move into the newly formed corridor. It goes on for a few meters, southward. If it had been completed it would probably run right above the central chamber. The passage look indistinguishable from the rest of the tomb, it is just as strangely askew as everything else.

To the left and right of the passageway, four spines are etched into the wall, only three of which end in a skull.

What do you do?

-

Tattered Cloak
Southern Crossroad

While the beast is tangling with Rusted Shirt, you move in to block its escape. It almost runs right into your arms.

You might be able to hurt them here. The intruder is flanked and can't defend themselves from two sides at once. Do you inflict harm?
-

Rusted Shirt
Southern Crossroad

The creature shoves you to the side but its escape is brought short when by Blood Standard.

You might be able to hurt them here. The intruder is flanked and can't defend themselves from two sides at once. Do you inflict harm?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rusted Shirt

Kelchiredzem shall not rise again.
These creatures will have failed.
We shall earn our rest.

Backstabbing was not my forte.
But I will still carry it out.
Stab stab stab stab stab..

[/quote]

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Tattered Cloak

the beast
almost falls onto my blade
almost

i think to rectify this
when rust lunges at us
"steady now"

i will be gracious
hold the beast still
begrudge rust the killing blow
(May it end my service as well, before I cough up what remains of my innards at the thought of allowing this spineless--not literally, granted, as I can clearly see--buffoon to use my prey for target practice.)

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

The truth is clearer
They knew this dead place
They did this for us.

And yet, did we ask them? We guard this place well enough as it is, I feel, and our bloodthirsty curse is as incorrigible as ever. There's no more pleasure in killing them now, but it must be done. I trudge southwards to where I can hear bone scraping on iron and bone.

Nothing more to do
Nobody to slay
My time grinds away.

-

Gonna head south, towards the remaining intruder.

Whom did you once love?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Arrow-shield
Nothern Crossroad

As you move, the wind rushing in through the southern entrance carries dim sounds of battle, scraping of iron and bone.
-

Tattered Cloak
Southern Crossroad

You lock the creature firmly in place. Your bones scrape against theirs as they jerk under your comrade's blows.
-

Rusted Shirt
Southern Crossroad

Stab stab stab, the immobilized intruder is an easy target. Stab stab stab you can see the bone begin to break, the light is shining through. Stab stab stab, free the fiery spirit.

Stab stab stab, the light is gone.

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 23, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
ARISE AND PROTECT THE TOMB, SKELETAL GUARDIANS

quote:

Familiar Ghosts

Whatever dark magic wrenched the life from you and crammed your consciousness into these spare, glistening bones left some energy adrift, apart, and your other selves have found you after many years of tormented wandering. Do they have a sort of consciousness as well? Do they resemble you in life? Do they have some goal? How can they be repelled or destroyed? Everyone answers one question if they wish; if someone slays their own ghost they may answer two. Choose once on either the Glory Fades or Gods Laugh table.

A pulse of necromantic energy radiates from the central sarcophagus, and after it passes through each guardian, there standing before each of you is you, as you were in life, but spectral and immaterial.

What do you see? What do you do?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Tattered Cloak

somber snoring stone drowned out
by the familiar cacophony of...
no cacophany
the garbed guard awakens regardless

now two eyes casting judgment
on the behemoth's servant
what am i looking at

their eyes stare at me
enraged, pained, casting judgment
what the hell

those are my eyes
filled with rage
under the red hood
sopping with ichor
what forsaken force stirred this to being

am i looking up at myself
or looking down

i take my sword and rise
pointing at the spirit
hearing my lord's voice again
or what remains rattling in my head

"Segart... Disgraced... Tomb..."

What was your name?
Segart.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 6, 2019

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Headless

Once more I rise, once more the lump of metal stays behind. Still, something feels different this time and I suddenly realize that I can't hear the wind rushing through the tomb.

I sense a presence facing me, without eyes it is difficult to tell, but...

Could this be? Could this be me? I reach out a trembling hand, trying to touch my face, the one I have been missing for all these years.

What connection do you have to those you’ve just killed or driven away? What memory did they evoke?
I was part of the first wave of sacrifices, at the time it was a great honor for us.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

A thickset spectre
Great heavy cistern
Who knows how empty.

Two hollow grey eyes
Under mountain brow
Full of buried thoughts.

I awake caked in dust and spores, with fungi growing through my ribcage, staring up at a pristine, ghostly remnant of myself. It is only the vapour of a man, and it seems to know.

What can a man do?
I stand and I stare
Outside my own flesh.

Reach out, reach over
Bridge the void of time
To touch my old mind.

-

Whom did you once love?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Tattered Cloak

Segart, the bearer of the Blood Standard, imposing even as an apparition, glares at what you have become, enraged. The once proud banner, crimson from a thousand conquests, heavy with the ichor of the countless vanquished, now merely a tattered cloak. The great champion, proud and strong, pained by the fate of the battered bones before him. A gleaming blade held at guard in his hand, the twin to your own save this is polished and perfect, razor honed to an executioner's tool, and completely intangible. A far cry from the nicked and rusted weapon that has fended off tomb intruders great and petty. But what good is a sword against your own ghost? Can the withering scorn, contempt and disgust of who you were touch the essence of who you are?

What do you do?

Headless

You feel the caress of cold, fleshless phalanges on your cheek, Your perception is split, not seeing, but a memory of seeing, as if you could recall looking upon a headless, animate skeleton, its bone-hand cradling your face with the tenderness of a lover. Your outstretched hand feels nothing at all, no resistance in the otherwise still air of the tomb.

What do you do?

Arrow-Shield

You reach out towards the one you once were, here preserved in spirit alone. Empty, spore-laden sockets meet a kindly gaze, spectral eyes that still echo how they saw the best in disparate others in life, worthy or unworthy, blood-soaked or pious. You gaze into the abyss of your own visage and in there you find comfort and camaraderie, memories of bonhomie, of fellow-travelling. It sees what you have lost, but focuses instead on what you have left. It opens up more of what you both are, there to be shared if you so wish.

What do you do?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Tattered Cloak

i wave my sword around its double
what a proud blade
punished to be used for an endless menial charge
this sword met pretenders and betrayers alike
now it is naught but hard stone
bereft of its former glory

why am i there
why am i here

to think these meager bones
were once contained in that menacing frame
and those eyes (I would say crazed, but I know better.)
were once witness to

those eyes behind my specter
the beastly visage striking awe and fear
the grinding sarcophagus as well
all of it covered in grime

i take my blade, MY blade
lift up the rag draped on my chest
drive it between my ribs

a victim cried out once (Or more than once. Who can say?)
told me i don't have a heart
if they lived now, they would be right

the metal rattles
i shake the blunt sides
i cry from my voiceless jaw
i stare at my spirit

this is your fate
no heaven
no riches
just a rat catcher in a cage
isn't that hilarious?

What was your name?
Segart.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

Once again I see
All I loved and lost
I have regained here

All my dearest friends
My red family
They all remain here.

I know them like the scars on the back of my own hand (though I don't remember how I got them). As much as I hate it, I know it's not love keeping them here - it's fear, spite, and regret. What rash decisions might they make when confronted by their old selves? What freshened rotting regrets will these phantoms bring them? Will they need a steady hand, a stout shoulder, a kind look? Will they need me? Will they not?

I brush through myself
Lope the jutty steps
Past Rusted Shirt's body

Down the twisting hall
Clattering around
To the Headless one.

-

Whom did you once love?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Headless

More than ever I feel unwhole, and yet I seem to be closer to wholeness than I have been in many years. My hands pass through this apparition as if it was not there, but clearly something is.

I turn around, pray to the gods and step backwards, into the specter.

I just want to make us whole, to make us one.

What connection do you have to those you’ve just killed or driven away? What memory did they evoke?
I was part of the first wave of sacrifices, at the time it was a great honor for us.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Tattered Cloak

His actions (your actions?) mirror your actions (his actions?) Segart the Blood Standard guides his ghostly blade with effortless mastery, not touching either rib to top or bottom as it passes through where your heart once was, as it passes into where your blade, the physical blade of Segart the Tattered Cloak, still is. For a moment, the real and the immaterial are precisely aligned, right in the centre of the space where your heart once was. and then...

quote:

GLORY FADES
One of the skeletons has an extended flashback. Which one, and what poignant event in life does it cover? Play it out.

You and he, they, we - Are back at the moment, the moment of disgrace and judgement. The moment of being condemned, relegated from the mighty conqueror to the vital but inglorious role of an eternal guardian. How did the mighty fall? What sparked this whole debacle, that took the famed Blood Standard and sealed it away, dedicated to protecting that which must not awaken?

Arrow-Shield

You reach the inert form of Rusted Shirt, motionless and unperturbed, but it is not alone. A graceful, ghostly, androgynous figure clad in shimmering mail, holding a staff-spear with a gem radiating an echo of power set in counterbalance to the finely honed point at the other end. They turn at your approach, immaterial eyes widening in recognition.

Do you carry on past to get to Headless? Do you stop? What do you do?

Headless

Confusion, strangeness. It feels like someone walked over your grave. Your psyche feels weighty, too much trying to be coterminous, but there is no true cohesion, no true unity. The head of a ghost is not truly your head, fleshless bones no substitute for a physical, living body. It is greatly discomforting to be where you are, crowding yourself out, two entwined legacies written in different ink upon the same parchment.

What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Tattered Cloak

this image
sword in my chest
it's familiar
this is what he must have seen when

"Segart! What is this, what have you done?!"
I stabbed my lord through the heart.
Or someone wearing his clothes, as it turned out. Who is this in front of me? Is he a double?
I was tugged away from the body, blade still interred, and pinned against the wall by the lord's personal guard. One of them pulled the hood off of my head.
"Segart... I knew it was you. Who else would wear that god-awful thing... The people look up to you, you know. To this, to the 'Blood Standard,' mewling poems before you--"
"Save the speech, m'lord." I felt a blunt force across my face, probably a shield.

Things were blurry for a few seconds.

I think the lord was inspecting the corpse. Over the ringing I heard him pull out my blade.
He should be dead. I could die if he was. It wouldn't matter. I serve the people. They would celebrate me.
How long have I been a tool for this despot?
how long has it been
how long

"... be involved with traitors. The Standard, committing treason! Outrageous. You've disgraced your lord and all your people. I should put you to the sword!"
He looked down at my sword in his hand and pointed it at my chest. I rocked against the guards thinking maybe, just maybe, I could draw blood from its tip and end myself there.
"But then I would be out one 'people's champion.' And besides, you can't exterminate yourself, can you?" I was slammed against the wall again, fingers on my throat.
"Send him to the tomb. More blood for the...." It goes dark.

His eyes were the last thing I remembered from that night. Casting judgment on his servant.
Or his quarry.

the blood standard
dyed burgundy once more
with societal debts paid,
justice done

right
that's how that goes
where was i?

What was your name?
Segart.