Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
ARISE AND PROTECT THE TOMB, SKELETAL GUARDIANS!

The winds do no whistle through the tomb, and yet you are awoke. This slumber has been the longest yet, it has been over a thousand years since you last were conscious, and as you resume your eternal vigil, you can feel that the tomb itself has changed.

WORLDS CRUMBLE AND TIME DEVOURS

The mountain must have shaken and shifted during your long sleep, the half-molten bronze sarcophagus has slid off it's plinth and down the steep corridor leading to the central chamber. It lies against the broken remains of the sarcophagus there which must have crumbled during the impact. In its stead now only remains a precipitous shaft leading to the secret chamber.

quote:

Beings from deep in the earth swim through stone and enter the tomb. They are made of living fire, or wear armor crafted from magma, or are otherwise strange and full of death and wonder. What business do they have this close to the surface, and how will you fight their impossible heat? Everyone answers none, one or two questions as they prefer. Choose once each on the Glory Fades or Gods Laugh tables.

Half a dozen beings crawl out of the lava flow at the north of the tomb. They are black as coal and their skin looks rough, much like rock, but their eyes have the color and shifting glow of magma. They hold their obsidian weapons tightly and eye you wearily as they hurry down the corridor leading to Kelchirdzem's sarcophagus.

What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Tattered Cloak

somber
snoring
stone
wake this crimson-garbed guard

painted behemoth
glares down
six eyes at your servant

enraged
pained
casting down your populace
or your enemies

spill their guilt to your deaf ears
your blade yet moves as its bearer stirs

scorch his cloak
snap his bones
all in service of your nameless faces

onward

Moving north.

What was your name?
Segart.
Whom did you once love?
Herida, for whom I almost slew my lord.
What byname did you earn in life that describes your greatest accomplishment?
Blood Standard, a name for the cloak which was once sopping in blood, as well as the executioner who bore it.
Who here among the skeletons richly deserves this fate, and why?
Herida, for being an unfit leader among forsaken sacrifices.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

If I could scream, I would.

Instead I just lie on the rough stone floor. It must be hot to the touch - I still see the dim light of magma from the Northern corridor - but I feel nothing.

I feel nothing, and if I could scream...

There's my sternum. Those are my fingers wrapped around it. Fingers, hand, arm. Move. Get moving.

If I could... move. I let go, plant my hand, heft to my knees, halt and falter and grab my shield and surge to my feet.

There are intruders to be dealt with, and something tells me they're not human, like me.

Very well. I stagger Southwards, hoping my footfalls will grow surer the more I move, fearing that everything now gone will never return.

-

Whom did you once love?
Arrow-shield loves all the other skeletons.
'the Bloodless', because it was said that I shed all my blood for the king - or because I didn't hate my enemies, depending on who you asked.
Who here among the skeletons did you once feel fierce loyalty toward, and why?
Rusted Shirt, because they saved me from the headman's block.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Rusted Shirt

So much time has passed,
I feel it, I see it in the changes.
But Kelchiredzem is still bound.

I feel interlopers, monstrous ones.
They seem familiar, though I wore flesh when last we fought
They serve Kelchiredzem.

Duty and history compel me.
Fossilized, enchanted bone impels me,
with spear and sword I imperil them.

You will not free your master.
You will not unseal what I bound in life and guard in death.
Kelchiredzem will remain bound.

Who here among the skeletons was once a great rival of yours, and in what endeavor?
I killed Headless and vice versa when we were sacrifices, for holy glory and honour.
Whose bones rest within the great sarcophagus?
Kelchiredzem, a vile creature defeated in ages past.
What was your name?
Herida.
The Cager of Demons

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Rusted Shirt

The intruders burst into the western chamber, coming to a sudden stand still as they see you. While they seem to have expected your presence, the absence of the bronze sarcophagus seems to take them aback. They point and yell in confusion for a few moments until one of them bellows out some orders.

Two of the magmen advance towards you, while the others try to split up and run down the other corridors.

What do you do?

Arrow-shield

You stagger after the intruders, but before long you hear one of them running back towards the crossroad, straight towards you.

What do you do?

Tattered Cloak

You move north and as you reach the northern crossroad you can see Arrow-shield up ahead, staggering west-ward. Yells and a trampling sound of stone on stone echo from the west.

What do you do?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

For the first time here I feel truly unsteady when faced with a foe, but the tomb's magic drags me on.

Shield arm wheeled around, drawn over my-- the gap where my chest was and back and up, ready to swing the heavy metal edge across and cudgel the creature as it gets close.

Everything feels so slow now, and not of me, not my doing. I hope the blow will connect on time.

-

Whom did you once love?
'the Bloodless', because it was said that I shed all my blood for the king - or because I didn't hate my enemies, depending on who you asked.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Tattered Cloak

i chose wrong
they move west...

i return to the east
into the center from there

the black slab
i must not see it
i must not learn its knowledge

they hid this from me
these creatures
the being in this tomb
so i might serve in peace

they taunted me as i was d-r-a-g-g-e-d here
KNOWING ITS PURPOSE
WOULD MADDEN
A SIMPLE MIND
LIKE YOU

they always said this
service in blood or in bone
MAD
i knew i wasn't mad before
my mind wanders enough
LITTLE POEMS
a madman couldn't compose
something like this
like these

i'm not mad

Doubling back to the Eastern Chamber, then to the Center.

What was your name?
Segart.
Whom did you once love?
Blood Standard, a name for the cloak which was once sopping in blood, as well as the executioner who bore it.
What area within this place are you forbidden to set foot in?
The western chamber, for its marble stele holds information I must not know.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Rusted Shirt

Hello boys.
Remember me?
I remember you.

We have fought before,
Back when I had flesh and power
The power remains to move me.

I won then, I’ll win now.
I caged your master
I will end you.

Your eyes are a weakness.
My spear still exists
Insert point A into socket B.

Repeat as necessary.
Fend off with the blade
Mere eternities cannot quench our feud.

Who here among the skeletons was once a great rival of yours, and in what endeavor?
I killed Headless and vice versa when we were sacrifices, for holy glory and honour.
What was your name?
Herida.
The Cager of Demons

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Rusted Shirt

The magmen advance slowly, warily. Maybe they remember you, maybe they have heard of you, maybe they are just thrown off by the absence of the sarcophagus. In any case you spot an opening and your spear jabs out, hitting home.

You might be able to hurt them here. One of your opponents drops their weapon and goes down to their knees, clutching their left eye. Do you inflict harm?

What do you do?

Arrow-shield

Your shield swings down as the intruder rounds the corner. They are taken by surprise and just have the time to bring up their left arm and shield themselves from the blow. As the metal rim crashes into it, a piece of stone is chipped from the arm and a small trickle of magma breaks forth. Your opponent quickly recovers from their surprise, they clearly seem used to fighting.

They might be able to resist on equal footing. They lash out with their obsidian axe. Do they hold you off?

What do you do?

Tattered Cloak

As you reach the central chamber you see that the intruders have preceded you. Two of them are hunched over the bronze sarcophagus, gesticulating excitedly to each other. In their frenzy they do not notice you.

What do you do?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

If I were younger--

The fiend's axe shatters half of my shield and lodges there and time seems to slow now. I see a glint of red-reflecting metal fly through the splinters and nails, and as my eyes trace its path I see - it's a dagger, a holy symbol, a dagger bearing the symbol of an ankh on its pommel. I remember... something like this. Something prepared, just in case, and stowed away for years, decades, centuries now.

If nothing else, the one or the other could help drive this intruder away, and my shield is almost at its limit. If I were stronger--

I wrench it to the side, pulling the axe and the creature's weight with it, then let my arm slip from the shield's ragged bindings and scoop up the dagger with my one remaining hand.

If I was pious I'd first try warding off the fiend with the holy symbol, but I'm not, so blade forward it is. I lurch ahead and stab for the wound.

-

Whom did you once love?
What memento of your old life is still somehow rattling around with you?
A holy dagger for an impious warrior, kept in reserve, bound to my shield.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Tattered Cloak

blasted rock things
they flail about
mocking humanity

do my people even exist

i round the sarcophagi
rear back my blade
chip away at them
pick by tired pick

What was your name?
Segart.
Whom did you once love?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rusted Shirt

I inflict harm.
Again and again, without hesitation or mercy, I inflict harm.
I know our enemy. I hate our enemy. I inflict as much harm as I possibly can to our enemy.

I remember, and remember with a great and terrible clarity. Fields of bountiful crops ignited with magmatic torches. Men, women and children fleeing their burning homes, only for the wail of anguish turn to agony as they were caught without mercy, flesh and fabrics charred away.
Leaving only skeletons.
Without Kelchiredzem, their fires are far dimmer. Without Kelchiredzem, they are much less than the engines of apocalyptic destruction they once were.
At the height of my power, I hunted them at the height of theirs. I know full well how to kill them, and had ample opportunity to practice. We won, but I did not kill them enough. I could never kill them enough, for what they did, for who they took from us. I take a grim pleasure in adding more to my tally, centuries after I started.

My spear and blade move as one.
Weak spots, joints, sensory holes.
Their hides are tough but not invulnerable.

Fend with the blade, cripple and kill with the spear.
Rinse, repeat.
Repeat until they die, then hunt more to kill.

What was your name?
Herida.
The Cager of Demons
What connection do you have to those you’ve just killed or driven away? What
memory did they evoke?

They were the surviving footsoldiers of Kelchiredzem. They devastated the realm in their master's name, and ending them became the work of my life and unlife.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Rusted Shirt

You fall upon your disabled foe, spearing him through the neck where the rock-skin is less thick. You feel the familiar jolt running up your arm as the spear breaks through stone. Magma spills from the wound, the rock-corpse rapidly turning into just an empty vessel.

They might be able to put you at a disadvantage. As you deliver the coup de grace, the second magman barrels into you, no doubt in a vain attempt to save their comrade. Do you hold them off?

Arrow-shield

The dagger bites through the weakened layer of stone and shatters the arm. Burning magma spills forth and covers your arm.

GODS LAUGH

You might not be a pious man, but it seems the holy dagger protects you nonetheless. The magma drips off your bone, leaving it whole. It seems that wielding it protects you from flames and heat.

The empty husk of the magman falls to the ground. What do you do?

Tattered Cloak

You stab and stab and land a few good hits at the back of one of the magmen before their companion has the time to react and come to their help.

They might be able to resist on equal footing. The second magman steps between you and their wounded ally. They raise their obsidian shield and try to block your assault. Do they hold you off?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rusted Shirt

That one is dead
Soon you will be too
Such eagerness to join him.

Their momentum is hard to stop
So I don't.
Twirl out of the way and shove them hard in the direction they're going.

I've lost count of your peers that I've killed.
I used to be meticulous, but a thousand years past tends to blur.
Retrieve the spear from the corpse and stab them before they can turn.

Nearly had me
Nearly isn't good enough
Not even dying was enough to stop me killing your kind

What was your name?
Herida.
The Cager of Demons
memory did they evoke?

They were the surviving footsoldiers of Kelchiredzem. They devastated the realm in their master's name, and ending them became the work of my life and unlife.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

It seems luck is on my side, even if the magic isn't.

I take a moment to catch my... this is wrong. I shouldn't feel this. My lungs have long since rotted away. This is, I suppose, the curse of disobeying the tomb, or the dweller.

A shattered shield is worthless, so I leave it behind. This dagger serves well enough as a shield, against these fiends at least.

I remember when first they came. I tried to mediate. I tried and I failed. We didn't understand how dangerous they were, how deadly and even so how craven they were. I used to respect them for their prowess in battle, but soon I came to pity and, yes, revile them for their acts off the battlefield. How could creatures be so powerful and yet so afraid of other people that they would raze and burn their homes to the ground?

May we never find out. Let them die here, let their master sleep. Let my friends live or rest as they may, and the fiends die, please.

I stagger on around to the Western chamber, half by sight and half by touch. If nothing else, I have a new appreciation for the rough edges and crevices of the walls and floor here. I would be half-blind without them.

-

Whom did you once love?
What connection do you have to those you’ve just killed or driven away? What memory did they evoke?
I tried to mediate with the Mag-Men when I was alive, but they swiftly betrayed our peace accord.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Tattered Cloak

they know tactics
they act selflessly
foolishly

how dare they

i look down
crumbled remains of the simmering sarcophagus
still hot

i heft a section
bones hissing
drive it down on the shield

i may not know much
but obsidian cracks

What was your name?
Segart.
Whom did you once love?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Rusted Shirt

This is just like the old days, it seems like you do not need muscles for muscle memory anymore. The magman rushes past and before they can right themselves, your spear pierces them through and through. You yank it back and molten rock bursts from the wounds, the magman's life-force draining alongside it. Suddenly, it gets hot. Much too hot.

What do you do?

Arrow-shield

You slowly make your way to the west, across the treacherous footing of the corridor. The sounds of battle coming from the chamber die down abruptly and seconds later, the rock wall suddenly becomes warm to the touch. It feels much warmer than the magma that spilled on your bones.

What do you do?

Tattered Cloak

The jagged piece of rock whistles through the air as you bring it down. The magman catches it on their shield, but the force is too much and it shatters instantly, sharp glass fragments flying about. As the air clears you see that the piece of sarcophagus has caved in the magman's chest, the magma spilling forth from it.

GLORY FADES

And then you hear it, the sound of a blade being unsheathed, echoing up from the now open secret passage into the lowest chamber. It seems that the magmen were not here only for Kelchiredzem's sarcophagus.

Instants after the echo, the tomb is filled with an unbearable heat. It can mean only one thing, Ishum, the Heir of Fire, the Scion of Earth, foremost servant of Kelchiredzem, the rightful wielder of the burning blade have reclaimed their weapon. Already they are climbing back up towards the central chamber, and the heat is getting more intense with each passing moment. Your cloak starts getting singed at the edges, the lichen and moss in the chamber dry out and catch on fire.

The wounded magman in a corner went to their knees and started signing, an otherworldly chant of pride and joy.

What do you do?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Tattered Cloak

i joked about the standard
now seeing the smoke rise

rag worn beyond recognition
bones brittle
chips scattered here and there

i knew i was a tool
not to what degree
beyond material
beyond politics

i never left the city
always someone on the chopping block
i doubted herida when i heard
men made of magma
seemed a myth or manipulation
a trick to terrify enemies
like a red hood

whatever its name is
that is my master
i am its fool

it beckons me to descend
with this horrid air
but one sits before me
i defy mercy

Attacking the wounded magman.

What was your name?
Segart.
Whom did you once love?
What connection do you have to those you’ve just killed or driven away? What memory did they evoke?
My Herida fought these as long as I knew, but higher powers limited my knowledge of them to keep me loyal.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 12, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rusted Shirt

This chamber is clear.
Towards the tumult of battle
Towards the extreme heat radiating.

Swiftly along the passage
Towards the central chamber
Towards... You again?!

They named me the Cager of Demons with good reason
Seeing you out of yours is an annoyance
Time to make you regret leaving it.

I bound your master.
I bound you.
It was a mercy at the time.

Mercy is a function of flesh.
Empty eyes cannot look on with empathy
Absent hearts do not beat with yours.

Just because you are hard to kill
Does not mean you can't be maimed.
Let's see about the wrist that holds the blade.

What was your name?
Herida.
The Cager of Demons
memory did they evoke?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

This can only mean one thing.

And no god will answer my prayers here.

We'll have to deal with this ourselves.

I carry on my way around the corner and into the Western chamber, and pause to catch my... breath at the stele. The sarcophagus is gone, but no matter, that's not what I'm here for.

This is where the Builders left their instructions - what to do should one of the sarcophagi be opened. I trace my fingerbones over words written in unfamiliar languages, searching for something I can understand.

-

Whom did you once love?
I tried to mediate with the Mag-Men when I was alive, but they swiftly betrayed our peace accord.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Arrow-shield

You run your bones over the stele, most of the words are meaningless bumps, but here and there you somehow understand a word. On the first side you catch Battle, Honor, Blood, Fire, Death, Oblivion. On the second side Surrender, Kneeling, Submission, Slavery, Peace, Survival. Finally the last side speaks of Treachery, Malice, Violence, Dishonor, Ostracism, Salvation.

It seems that if the Builders did leave a miracle solution behind, you have failed to find it among the cuneiform, runes and hieroglyphs.

What do you do?

Tattered Cloak

You dispatch the magman with ease as they make no attempt to defend themselves, chanting to the very end. As you turn around you see Ishum, Heir of Fire, ascend from the depths. As hot air is carried upwards, so are they. Where the other magmen's skin looked like cracked basalt, Ishum's resembles obsidian, smooth, reflective and sharp. Their right hand wields the burning blade, their left is a fiery claw, dripping with magma.

As they turn their burning gaze upon you, your cloak bursts into flames and your blade wilts in the heat.

What do you do?

Rusted Shirt

You hurry towards the central chamber, towards the heat and the glow. As you enter you see your comrade and beyond him, Ishum, Scion of the Earth. The heat becomes unbearable, your weapons begin to soften.

What do you do?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

Useless, all of it useless. We'll have to resolve this by ourselves. Unless, that is, the Builders are advising submission to these fiends as the proper course of action if the sarcophagi should open - and even if they were, I wouldn't take their advice.

I sway around and stumble to the passage down to the central chamber. The writhing-hot ascending air only makes my vision worse, but somehow I skid and scrape my way to the bottom.

My knife is ready. My soul is strong, even if my bones are weak, and the magic that gives them animus even weaker. My friends are here, and if nothing else, I cannot let them die alone.

-

Whom did you once love?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Tattered Cloak

AAAARRHH

rock grab ||| rock
smAAASH
hate
--------

HATE

What was your name?
Segart.
Whom did you once love?
My Herida fought these as long as I knew, but higher powers limited my knowledge of them to keep me loyal.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rusted Shirt

Hot enough to melt metal.
Perfect, defeating you would have been much harder in the cold.
Did you really think I’d leave that blade untrapped?

I’ve fought you before,
I fought Kelchiredzem as well,
He knew how to truly master that blade.

See, you probably think that rising heat is a sign of your provenance.
Or a way of burning all the unworthy.
But do you *really* know what happens to obsidian when you heat it enough?

My weapons are softening.
That means the radiating heat where I am is nearly twice the point
At which Obsidian remembers it is still a liquid.

You haven’t wanted to take your hand off the blade.
You probably don’t realise what it’s done to you.
Your kind are used to extreme heat, so taking things past your tolerances could be spectacular.

Obsidian needs to have very few impurities.
Like, say, a couple of armfuls of liquefying metal.
Oops, silly me, how clumsy. That’s going to get nasty.

What was your name?
Herida.
The Cager of Demons
memory did they evoke?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Tattered Cloak

As Ishum steps back onto solid ground you bring down the rock as hard as you can, sending flakes of bones reeling through the air from the impact. Ishum recoil slightly at the strength of the blow, but seem mostly unfazed, their black skin barely scratched.

They might be able to overpower you. Ishum lash out with their claw, sending streaks of magma flying against the walls of the chamber, trying to gouge your bones. Do they succeed?

Arrow-shield

You move down, towards the heat. As it starts to become unbearably hot, even for you, you look up and see your two friends facing Ishum.

What do you do?

Rusted Shirt

As you reach the central chamber you hurl your weapons at Ishum, by the time they hit them, they are liquid. The remains bubble and hiss, but don't seem to bother the Molten One much.

They might be able to put you at a disadvantage. The burning blade shoots forward in a mad thrust, attempting to keep you at bay while Ishum deal with your comrade. Do they hold you off?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

I won't be much help in a fight, not as weak as I am now, but I do have something that can help - the holy dagger. I motion to Herida and speak one word: Take.

All I can do now is hold myself up against the wall, watch this tableau unfold, and prepare to make the necessary sacrifice should my friends fail.

Herida, Segart: I witness you.

-

Whom did you once love?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rusted Shirt

Not as effective as I'd hoped.
I have no way to get past that guard
Until one is handed to me.

Now this is more like it.
Magic is comfortingly familiar,
and an ensorcelled blade is just what I needed.

My enemy thrusts.
Were it not for a selfless act echoing from what was once a selfless soul
I would have been at a disadvantage.

A thrust at a target with no flesh
is worse than useless.
The blade is committed, I let it slip between my ribs.

There is nothing there to stab.
Nothing there to cut.
Blade trapped in bone, I advance on my enemy to deny leverage.

Magic dagger through the wrist
I am not distracted
I am not to be dismissed.

What was your name?
Herida.
The Cager of Demons
memory did they evoke?

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 21, 2019

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Tattered Cloak

drat this thing
herida and i worked this over

all that remains of my cloak
caught by the claw
set aflame
no other damage
wait

my ribs sliced clean away
tink to the ground then burn to ash
drat that huRRRRRRTS

out, bowing blade
at least do something before you disappear
into the claw
keep that from taking more bones

What was your name?
Segart.
Whom did you once love?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Rusted Shirt

The blade slips between your bones, and even while wielding the dagger its heat stings. Had you not been grasping the holy weapon, your rib-cage would have turned to dust.

Just as Ishum notice that something is off, you lash out, forcing them to let go of the blade to save their wrist.

They might be able to resist on equal footing. Without hesitation, Ishum's claw whirls towards you, trying to grab the sword. Do they succeed?

Tattered Cloak

Willing yourself through the pain you strike the claw, but it is already shooting towards Rusted Shirt. Your blade and the claw collide and your weapon melts, the collision sending an arc of molten metal spray across the room.

They might be able to get away. Ishum focus their ire and attention on getting back their blade, everything else seems to be secondary to them. What do you do?

Arrow-shield

Instantly the heat is overpowering. The broken splinter of your wrist, where the magical bones are weakened, is slowly starting to flake.

What do you do?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

So feeble and faded now. And surely my sight wasn't always this narrow and banded with black? I'm looking down - ah, I'm looking at my jagged stump - it's flaking away in the heat. Oh.

Once I would have cut off Ishum's hands with my axe, but to even attempt that would be suicide now.

Still, one death would be better than three. If need be, I could deal a heavy blow by dragging them down the pit and shattering them against the floor of the chamber below. If need be.

At the moment, it's all I can do just to stay on my feet and keep them in my sight.

-

Arrow-shield is trying, as much as is possible, to keep a clear line between themselves, Ishum, and the pit down to the secret chamber, in case things go south in the others' fight.

Whom did you once love?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rusted Shirt

Their claws are vicious and sharp,
valid weapons in their own right,
but they don't have the reach of the dagger.

I grasp the blade within me with my other hand
Not the hilt, never the hilt,
and pull it through my emptiness.

The bloodless one is by the pit
The place the blade should reside.
One weapon given, one weapon returned.

I pass the blade over to them
Outside of Ishum's grasp the heat will quell
and keep myself between them and our enemy

With the dagger, I can keep him busy.
With the blade elsewhere I can take advantage of his distraction
With Segart, we can curtail the threat.

What was your name?
Herida.
The Cager of Demons
memory did they evoke?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Tattered Cloak

yes, disarm the magma creature
now i can -

what can i do
i could hardly breathe had i lungs
i'm useless like this

the other body
still in its fetal prayer
hands clasped

more stone

break their arm off
they would have done the same to me

while herida motions with the dagger
i strike with its comrade's remains
only fitting

What was your name?
Segart.
Whom did you once love?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Tattered Cloak

You rip off the magmen's arm and use it as a bludgeon. This time the blow hits home and Ishum is briefly thrown off-balance.

You might be able to hurt them here. Ishum still pay you no mind, the Blade is all that matters. Do you inflict harm?

Rusted Shirt

You push and pull the blade through yourself, offering it to your companion. As Ishum realize what you are planning, they let out a fierce bellow and throw themselves at you. An instant before their magmatic claw would tear through your ribcage, Tattered Cloak's blow connects, throwing the Scion's aim off just enough for you to dodge.

They might be able to overpower you. Ishum try to follow up their missed strike with a vicious blow using their right fist. They leave themselves wide open to you, but to take advantage of that you would have to forgo your own defense. What do you do?

Arrow-shield

As you keep an eye on the fight, you notice Herida pulling the Burning Blade through their bones. It is within reach.

What do you do?

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 8, 2019

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

If there's any way I can pay off my debt to you, then I'll take it with both hands.

Figuratively.

It's all I can manage to pull the sword all the way through - a useful lump of flashy metal, not a proper weapon - and begin the slow long haul over to the pit.

Taking great care not to touch the hilt. I don't want to lose my other hand, even though I doubt I would feel the pain at this point.

The fiend roars in vain, so loud I can barely hear it.

So close now.

Just...

A little further.

Here.

I let go and the stupid ceremonial thing clatters over the lip and back down the pit, bending and chipping where it strikes the rough stone sides.

Not so perfect now.

Whom did you once love?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Tattered Cloak

now the thing's disarmed
it could use one

strike while the iron is hot
as they say

this thing angers me with its persistence
no more

What was your name?
Segart.
Whom did you once love?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rusted Shirt

Such aggression, such single-mindedness
Utterly fixated on the sword.
I can exploit that.

Their all-out assault
An opportunity to strike
I do not take it.

Anger and impatience are his weaknesses
His weaknesses are my allies
I have the patience of the grave.

I focus on my own defence
Meet the incoming fist with the point of the dagger
The sword is out of me, so I go from target to obstruction.

Stretch out the fight
He burns hottest now
But he will burn out.

By defending myself
I stay in the fight
My colleagues are free to attack and to deal with the blade.

What was your name?
Herida.
The Cager of Demons
memory did they evoke?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Tattered Cloak

Once more you rear back with the magman's arm, once more you bring it down with all your strength.

A small chip of obsidian breaks off Ishum's back and release a trickle of magma.

Rusted Shirt

Taking advantage of your foe's recklessness, you predict his move and their fist meets the magical dagger.

The Scion rears back, letting go a howl of surprise rather than pain. This is not something Ishum is used to.

Arrow-shield

You let go of the blade and see it tumble down the pit. It strikes the rock on the way down, again, and again, and again. A sudden sibilant ring echoes up and with it comes a sudden coolness. The brittle blade has shattered on its way down.

For the first time in their life, Ishum takes a few steps back from their opponents. They are bewildered, uncertain how you three could have resisted them.

Their eyes dart to the pit and an instant later Ishum throw themselves after the Broken Blade. By the time you reach the edge, the bottom of the pit has become a swirling vortex of magma, both Ishum and the Blade are gone, on their way to the realm below.

You feel that the vortex will cool down and become inert soon, ending the intrusion. What do you do?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Arrow-shield

Now? I will sleep. I hope we wake under more fortuitous circumstances.

Whom did you once love?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rusted Shirt

He got away again.
Still, the blade is gone.
Kelchiredzem's power can no longer be wielded.

I do not have long.
I try to replace the sarcophagi
Return them to where they should be.

Perhaps I will succeed
Perhaps not.
I race oblivion, but it does not matter which of us wins.

What was your name?
Herida.
The Cager of Demons
memory did they evoke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Tattered Cloak

hell

herida deemed it necessary to fix the sarcophagi
with what little time we have

i watched that thing go after the sword
how is this any different...

hell
it's not like we have anything else to do
i'll help herida

"this is foolish"
but i'll complain the whole time

What was your name?
Segart.
Whom did you once love?