Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Omensight is a third-person action game developed and published by Spearhead Games in May of 2018. The setting is called Urralia, a colorful world populated by a menagerie of talking animal people--but it's a little closer to Watership Down than Winnie the Pooh. It's also locked in a brutal war that threatens to tip a vital cosmic balance and end all life as we know it. The good news is, Urralia is under the protection of a holy guardian spirit who stays on call for just such an occasion: the Harbinger.

The bad news is, the Harbinger is running a bit late.

Now, with the aid of a mysterious spectral witch, she has to live out Urralia's final hours over and over again, hacking and slashing her way through the warring armies of Pygaria and Rodentia, investigating the blasphemous crime that led to this disaster so she can end it before it begins. Kind of like Groundhog Day, except it's the end of days and the groundhogs are all under orders to kill you on sight.

I was a bit disappointed with Omensight when it was first released. The ending sucked, you couldn't replay completed chapters, and it came with that godawful Red Shell program that kills you in your sleep if it thinks you're copying. Spearhead has since addressed my chief complaints, stripping out Red Shell and adding a post-game with unlimited play & a more proper conclusion. With all that settled, now I can recommend Omensight with minor reservations. It's a competent brawler with a clever narrative framework and vibrant storybook presentation, held slightly back from genuine greatness by its limited encounter variety and unfortunate absence of sick aerial moves.

Now let's solve a killing* and stop an apocalypse!**

*by committing many hundreds of other killings
**by allowing it to happen dozens of times

Make sure to turn Closed Captions on for my video commentary...or turn it off if you just want to see the game.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This looks really interesting! I've never heard of this game, but the plot so far is intriguing.

If I would have to guess, someone else murdered the godless priestess, and instigated Indrik to start the war with the rats and bears. Perhaps the emperor even thinks that what he does will save the world? For that reason, I would have chosen Draga. But I'm still looking forward to what happens with Ludomir.

Is this just a choice which path you follow first, or are you now locked to Ludomir and can't investigate Draga later?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This looks like one of those PS2 era games* where everyone was putting out new IPs, in fact actually it reminds me a lot of the Legend of Kay.

*Which is incredibly my aesthetic

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Torrannor posted:

This looks really interesting! I've never heard of this game, but the plot so far is intriguing.

If I would have to guess, someone else murdered the godless priestess, and instigated Indrik to start the war with the rats and bears. Perhaps the emperor even thinks that what he does will save the world? For that reason, I would have chosen Draga. But I'm still looking forward to what happens with Ludomir.

Is this just a choice which path you follow first, or are you now locked to Ludomir and can't investigate Draga later?

You can investigate in any order. That being said, a somewhat common problem with this game when first released was that going through characters in the wrong order could lock you out of content. Most of the time it was just small collectibles detailing backstory, but occasionally a plot branch would be locked as well (and when first released, there was no way to go back to prior chapters). This was only rectified in a patch a month ago.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Seems pretty cool, I'm in.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Hey, I played this really recently, I'm glad to hear that some of those issues got taken care of. It's a really good game!

Though, uh, this is the first that I've heard about Redshell. Whoops.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Not quite as much progress as I'd hoped today, but we did find a few background memories.

You also unlock the Investigation Board at the end of your first day.

Every path you can choose to take, even if it's a dead end, will shed a bit of light on the circumstances of Voden's return. If you want, you can have the Witch and the Board keep track of important information for you. Here's what we've uncovered so far.

Omensight bills itself as a murder mystery, but you probably will not rack your brains cracking this case. You're never called upon to do any serious investigation or deduction. You choose a partner, run through the levels, fight many men, maybe make a binary choice or two, and somewhere along the way the game will drip-feed you a few hints about the mystery and which choices will move you forward--or just tell you exactly what to do next, if you have guides turned on. Return of the Obra Dinn it ain't. Our next few steps, for example, should be obvious.

Not that I'll be taking them. The dead-end paths still have plenty to offer: not just extra XP and Amber, but also info, memories, and dialogue that you can miss out on if your investigation proceeds too quickly. For completion's sake I'll be making all the wrong choices first, and then the right ones.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 22, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh, so you will replay some sections once you can break a new seal. That's neat.

There's quite a bit going on in the temple. That secret room where there are purple flags with Voden on them is sure suspicious. But I don't know how that relates to Indrik exactly. Being the avatar of fire doesn't gel too much with an avatar of the dark void. Perhaps Indrik was doing the ritual in order to combat the serpent? But then, Ludomir did not kill him in the first timeline...

And with those hints unlocked, it's clear there's more to Indrik that first meets the eye. Perhaps the patriarchs are behind all this?

By the way, the music was really fitting, the whole atmosphere in the temple was very eerie. I like it.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Yeah, pretty much everything in this game fits together pretty well, but the soundtrack has some real bangers, especially the boss fights (when we actually get a proper boss fight, anyway...).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This seems like a situation that could be sorted out much more simply if the Harbinger was capable of speech.

But it's a murder-zombie only capable of interaction via murder instead, so the apocalypse will have to be prevented via strategic murdering.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

This seems like a situation that could be sorted out much more simply if the Harbinger was capable of speech.

But it's a murder-zombie only capable of interaction via murder instead, so the apocalypse will have to be prevented via strategic murdering.

If her blade left any corpses, she could try posing them in the shape of letters, but alas.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 7, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I really like your videos. The commentary is funny, and provides the right amount of entertainment when not a lot is happening in the game itself.

I have to say, I wouldn't be able to resist double jumping all the time when running longer distances, unlike you for example when you went back to Iontreck's Fury after preventing the bombs from blowing it up.

You didn't get stylish fighter points, is that because you took too much damage? Also, I didn't really understand what you meant with not dodging three times in a row leaving you vulnerable - why did you not dodge, what for?

Also, what's that Amber Core doing there? Draga apparently knew all about it, she's not surprised to see it. But at least going by coloring, it's connected to Voden and the void. That's all a bit strange.

Seems like we get 4 statues representing people we can follow around, so I guess the bird statue on the left is either Emperor Indrik or the Godless Priestess? In any case, I'm looking forward to following Ratika's final day.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Torrannor posted:

I have to say, I wouldn't be able to resist double jumping all the time when running longer distances, unlike you for example when you went back to Iontreck's Fury after preventing the bombs from blowing it up.

I don't think jumping provides a significant speed boost. We'll have something better eventually.

quote:

You didn't get stylish fighter points, is that because you took too much damage? Also, I didn't really understand what you meant with not dodging three times in a row leaving you vulnerable - why did you not dodge, what for?

For Stylish Fighter you have to use all your attacks a lot: combos, companion attacks, special moves like Phantom Blast, and environment kills like falling pillars or exploding barrels. I didn't do enough environment kills this time. Taking damage doesn't directly disqualify you, which is lucky because avoiding all damage is very hard to do. You do lose energy for taking hits, though, which makes it harder to Phantom Blast dudes.

When you dodge three times in quick succession the Harbinger will pause to steady herself for a second, and it makes her a sitting duck for any nearby enemies.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

No new info today...just a bit of extra perspective on things we already knew.

Next time, we'll go back to Ludomir and close out the first chapter.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I can't believe that game plays out without some imperial character proclaiming to "let slip the dogs of war".

Great game and great lp.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OutofSight posted:

I can't believe that game plays out without some imperial character proclaiming to "let slip the dogs of war".

If there's anyone who would say such a thing it would probably have to be Ratika.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Something to ponder over: in every scenario we've seen thus far, the city of Ekka seems to be in a bad shape by nightfall. What's going on over there?

Also, I hope you like Ratika's song The Cage, because it's going to be somewhere in the background of 90% of scenes involving her. Listen to this video, the Deathless!Ratika boss fight and even the very opening cutscene. It's there.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Lol, Ratika doesn't bother to help you push open the door, she sings a song to make you stronger so you can do it all alone.

I see that there's no amber in some containers. Is that to prevent you from just farming everything for upgrades? Can you farm amber and XP by redoing chapters?

Speaking of amber, the amber we collect is blue. Yet the Ambercite/amber core is violet, that's a bit strange. And real world amber is more orange.

I'm surprised she didn't open the green seal in the beginning. That's the Seal of Rodentia, right? Also, we see a new, violet seal. There are 4 key categories in the overview, I wonder who opens which seal? After the video, I could see Ludomir open the green seal, perhaps a void Ratika opening the violet seal, and Indrik an as yet unrevealed seal?

Now that they mentioned again that the Godless Priestess' soul is missing, I'm pretty sure our fourth party member will be the emperor himself. We probably can't connect with the priestess' soul, so by process of elimination, only Indrik is left.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Torrannor posted:

I see that there's no amber in some containers. Is that to prevent you from just farming everything for upgrades? Can you farm amber and XP by redoing chapters?

Speaking of amber, the amber we collect is blue. Yet the Ambercite/amber core is violet, that's a bit strange. And real world amber is more orange.

It's just random whether pots and barrels will have anything in them. You can farm all you want...up to a certain extent. Draga's first level is pretty good for farming.

And it's not amber, it's Amber. The difference is night and day, obviously.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

We get to see at last why the game is called Omensight, and not Phantom Blast or Throw Dogs At Bears.

The Harbinger does not speak. Instead she manifests irrefutable visions, which she can then physically slam into people's heads.

Finding places where you can divine the fate of the Godless-Priestess is the true goal of your investigations. Each new omensight will advance you to the next stage of the game.

They also close off the old ones. We'll no longer have access to Ludomir, Draga, and Ratika's first routes from this point forward.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 20, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I was proud to recognize that the crypt was full of ancient Pygarian. So I thought you should begin with Draga, since she can read it. But since you wrote that you will take the false route first each time, I guess I'm wrong.

I'm really looking forward to learning how the routes play out differently when you show your companions an Omensight.

By the way, is the Godless Priestess a rat? I can't quite make it out. And what about the witch? She looks like a bird to me.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
The Godless-Priestess looks somewhat like an owl to me.

Also man that tree of life is not looking too healthy.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Torrannor posted:

By the way, is the Godless Priestess a rat? I can't quite make it out. And what about the witch? She looks like a bird to me.

Vera is an owl, and the witch looks sort of like a crow to me.

Stormgear posted:

Also man that tree of life is not looking too healthy.

That's just early-stage destruction of all reality. Once you figure out the source, it's easily treated.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OddHaberdasher posted:

That's just early-stage destruction of all reality. Once you figure out the source, it's easily treated.

Vodenol® is not right for everyone, ask your doctor if Vodenol® is right for you.

Draga has a wealth of interesting information today...but only time will tell how much of it pertains to Vera's plight.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wait, wait, wait! There are four walls with inscriptions in the tomb, but Draga has only read three!

Pretty interesting this time around. Indrik may have transformed into the firebird to fight the void. Did he know that Voden's return was imminent? And did Vera know something that told her it was a bad idea to transform into an avatar of Yaborg, and Indrik didn't listen?

I hope we get the ability to open Rodentian seals from Ratika this time around. I wonder if there's a void worshiping sect active in Rodentia that they were able to place such a seal near the resting place of Kladen.

By the way, I wouldn't have found that void clue playing the game. The camera perspective is pretty good at hiding bombable walls.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Well, that explains why Ekka is always in such bad shape. Between the Firebird and what seems to be a full blown Void incursion, it's no wonder that Ekka gets wrecked.

On a side note, Draga is pretty fast. Got good jumping muscles. Let's be honest, it it weren't for the Harbingers time powers Draga would be the heroine of the story.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 21, 2018

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Wait, wait, wait! There are four walls with inscriptions in the tomb, but Draga has only read three!

Pretty interesting this time around. Indrik may have transformed into the firebird to fight the void. Did he know that Voden's return was imminent? And did Vera know something that told her it was a bad idea to transform into an avatar of Yaborg, and Indrik didn't listen?

I hope we get the ability to open Rodentian seals from Ratika this time around. I wonder if there's a void worshiping sect active in Rodentia that they were able to place such a seal near the resting place of Kladen.

By the way, I wouldn't have found that void clue playing the game. The camera perspective is pretty good at hiding bombable walls.

I think it's pretty definite that there's void influence in Rodentia, between the summoners, Ratika going Deathless, etc. That last encounter kind of hinted there might be void cultists in the Imperial army too, though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Omensight just went on sale for $15.99 on Steam, and Spearhead's quite similar previous game, Stories: The Path of Destinies, is going for $7.49.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

This time the unspoken words are most important.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh, seems there's a reason Draga didn't read the fourth wall in the crypt.

It seems that the preview before picking a path is surprisingly direct. Do Ratika's path and kill Indrik, don't redo Draga's path without a way to break a Seal of Rodentia, it makes little sense to show Ludomir the Omensight.

So of course we're going with Ludomir now :)

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009

Torrannor posted:

It seems that the preview before picking a path is surprisingly direct. Do Ratika's path and kill Indrik, don't redo Draga's path without a way to break a Seal of Rodentia, it makes little sense to show Ludomir the Omensight.

So of course we're going with Ludomir now :)

I'm guessing the preview is a thing because the investigation is set to guided. Without that, the game wouldn't spell things out to quite the same level and you'd need to make those connections yourself.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if the tree losing its light is scripted or if it's based on how many times you go through the last day and there's some kind of minimal path you can take.

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016
I'm real curious what the deal with void cultists is. The rodentians have void summoners and Ratika sells her soul for power. But even after she ascends she still helps you, and remarks upon you having to dissappear before voden figures out what you are doing.

And considering the stuff really pants said in the opening about different endings I would not be surprised at less tree corruption, better ending.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Frozenzen posted:

I'm real curious what the deal with void cultists is. The rodentians have void summoners and Ratika sells her soul for power. But even after she ascends she still helps you, and remarks upon you having to dissappear before voden figures out what you are doing.

It's a bit ambiguous, but I think it's not so much a case of Ratika selling her soul to some entity or being possessed by something as it is that taking the void into yourself gives power, yet strips all else but purpose (and rhymes apparently) in the process? Ratika performed the ritual to protect her people, and Deathless!Ratika does just that, only without emotions complicating matters. Protecting Rodentia and Voden destroying the world are mutually exclusive.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

No Seal just yet, but we did get to see Ludomir go on a tear...and his situation is looking less simple by the minute.

Torrannor posted:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

:D

So, the barkeeper is likely part of a Rodentian void cult. Which ties in to Vera. As shown in the first video, she was definitely murdered. So did the Rodentian void worshipers spring her from Indrik's tomb and then sacrificed her to summon Voden? Perhaps they had to kill her with Kladen, which would explain the Rodentian Seal there.

I hope we learn more of general Ellia.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

We've seen Original Recipe Indrik. Now here's Ultra Six-Alarm Ghost Pepper Style Indrik With Our Patented WHOOOA MOMMA Hunka Hunka Burnin' Sauce.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 24, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
He's quite a bit stronger than he was in the fight against Ludomir. That's your first death this playthrough!

Not much new information to be had. If deathless Ratika hadn't advised the Harbinger to flee because "You, Voden must never see", then I would suspect her of being complicit in the void conspiracy.

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009

Torrannor posted:

He's quite a bit stronger than he was in the fight against Ludomir. That's your first death this playthrough!

Not much new information to be had. If deathless Ratika hadn't advised the Harbinger to flee because "You, Voden must never see", then I would suspect her of being complicit in the void conspiracy.

Ratika seems to feel guilty about something, she might have unintentionally helped cause Vera's death. Or rather, she might think she has. Most likely, the next omen will be about what happened between those two and will be used to send people Ratika's way to forcefully investigate her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Glalev posted:

Ratika seems to feel guilty about something, she might have unintentionally helped cause Vera's death. Or rather, she might think she has. Most likely, the next omen will be about what happened between those two and will be used to send people Ratika's way to forcefully investigate her.

That's true. It was clear she had much more to say right before Voden emerged again. There are about 6 clues left in the Vera timeline, so I guess there will be some more twists and turns. And the Godless Priestess wasn't just killed, but something also happened with her soul, as the witch said in episode 1. I wouldn't be surprised if that were two different people/factions, and that the person/people who killed Vera don't necessarily know that her soul was captured or destroyed.