Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's just a bit worrisome how easily Ludomir can turn on people.

For some reason memories of the Void get the stately, three-pointed, green and pink leaf, and memories of the Priestess get the grody purple corruption hell leaf. That's got to be a mix-up.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, I thought Ludomir was Vera's boyfriend or something like that, I'm relieved she's his adopted sister.

Makes sense that Vera would be sympathetic to the Rodentians if she was adopted by a Rodentian family. But this begs the question what she was doing in the Emperor's crypt.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Well, you was unable to explode stuff with Phantom Dash because you was unable to do damage with it.
Try it now!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Why is she called the Godless Priestess, when it's clear that the god Yarbog protected the world from Voden? :confused:

Also, what's happening to the tree? :ohdear:

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Torrannor posted:

Why is she called the Godless Priestess, when it's clear that the god Yarbog protected the world from Voden? :confused:

Never trust somebody called "Godless" Priestess. Might as well be the local apocalypse cult.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Torrannor posted:

Also, what's happening to the tree? :ohdear:

I think it has something to do with all of the gods having disappeared a few centuries ago. Beyond that, I really have no idea.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Welp.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Is a mouse to be freed?

Or a mouse is to bleed?

EDIT: Also, let me be the first to point out that being stabbed in her frail, owly chest by a big-looking sword seems to be the halfway point of Vera's last day on Urallia. It doesn't look like she went down so easy as that...

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 26, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

OddHaberdasher posted:

Is a mouse to be freed?

Or a mouse is to bleed?

EDIT: Also, let me be the first to point out that being stabbed in her frail, owly chest by a big-looking sword seems to be the halfway point of Vera's last day on Urallia. It doesn't look like she went down so easy as that...

It's meta-knowledge, but there are still 4 of 8 points left in the "Vera murder mystery" timeline. I'm not so sure that she's dead. This setting has been pretty deadly so far (Draga, Ludomir and Indrik died on mutliple rewinds), but there is magic, so perhaps she had a way to survive being stabbed by the sword? Some kind of healing magic?

Also, it's the evil slaying sword, so perhaps it's not deadly to non-evil persons.

But one thing's for sure, declaring Ratika Vera's murderer is premature. I've watched the relevant part of the video twice, it very much seems as if the sword moves on it's own when Ratika first picks it up. So I'm not sure if Ratika stabs Vera, or if she's just having her hands on Kladen while it stabs the Godless Priestess.

Which would casts something of a shadow on Vera. What would it mean if the evil-slaying sword attacks her on it's own?

I'm also not quite sure on the timeline. Did Ratika stab/"stab" Vera before she was imprisoned? This would explain why Ratika was so defensive when she and the Harbinger were in the emperor's crypt. And I've always had the impression that unless the Harbinger intervenes, she always goes from the prison directly to the Crimson Forest and becomes Deathless. But it was normal Ratika who was with Vera in the vault.

Which raises another question, who kills Indrik? Kladen is gone, yet Ratika presumably sealed the vault, and was then captured. It wasn't Ludomir or Draga either, so I think we're still missing one important person here. Perhaps the leader of the void cult, who worked behind the scenes but then confronted Indrik once they got Kladen after Vera's death? Perhaps it's that boar barkeeper? He's the only other named character iirc, and he's said some suspicious things ("Ludomir was supposed to die")

I'm pretty pumped to see Indrik's last day now. A wholly new perspective sounds like it will be really interesting. The short description when choosing a day to replay makes it pretty clear that we won't learn anything major in Indrik's route, but I'm still excited to learn more about the emperor. If I had to guess, either Ludomir's or Ratika's route would be the most illuminating. I wonder what Ludomir will say when he sees Ratika stab his adopted sister, and of course, Ratika herself should be an excellent source of information.

In any case, this is a great LP, thanks a lot for doing this, Really Pants. I don't get why this thread has so little traffic, but I'm really enjoying your work so far.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Vera's death was some point within the last few days, maybe up to a week before the Harbinger got involved. After all, her death is not a surprise to any of the characters.

It seems that Vera broke into the crypt, learned the location of Kladen and got Ratika to take her there. This is where it gets murky. As you say, the sword resisted being moved when Ratika tried to take it. But once Ratika got her hands on Kladen, her actions in taking a step towards Vera and impaling her seemed very deliberate in their movement. Vera seemed to only be apprehensive about Ratika only in the moment before she was impaled, so maybe the sword can possess people? Which, again, would bring us back to your question of 'why is Kladen trying to kill the Godless Priestess'?

What happened to Kladen and Vera? Vera is only halfway through her death timeline, so not finding her body is not shocking, but who took Kladen? Did Ratika take it with her as she fled, or did Vera take it when she recovered? Did someone else take it, maybe a member of the Void cult?

Finally, what happened to Indrik. The Firebird possesses great power, and it is unlikely that a mere cultist or Cipher could defeat him. Firebird!Indrik can easily defeat Ludomir without Harbinger assistance, and it's seeming opposite Deathless!Ratika can similarly defeat Draga if the Harbinger does not intervene. It would require an overwhelming advantage for a mortal to kill Indrik. Perhaps tellingly, when the Harbinger killed Deathless!Ratika the first time, she looked the same in death as when fought, but Indrik lacks the attributes of the Firebird. Maybe a simple difference in how long either were dead, but maybe something else...

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

I just want to point out that stabby part of Kladen is same color as Firebird, while handly part - as Deathless. Also, great big statue of previous Harbringer handles it. Are the both needed?

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009
A big point to remember, Indrik became the firebird because that's apparently the only way to control Kladen. Maybe Ratika grabbing it like she did was a very very bad move. Beyond that, though, finding out what caused Vera to die was only ever half of the puzzle, her -soul- is the important thing to find and that's still completely unknown.

NHO posted:

I just want to point out that stabby part of Kladen is same color as Firebird, while handly part - as Deathless. Also, great big statue of previous Harbringer handles it. Are the both needed?

That's a good point, the Harbinger might be the only other living person that -can- safely wield Kladen.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

NHO posted:

I hope Indrik knows Mordhau.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm taking this case to a higher authority.

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016
I really like how indriks personality and arrogance shines through in gameplay. He doesn't have a special attack, he opens doors by himself and summons blocks for you to jump on instead of actively helping you. He believes himself to be the person best suited to do everything, if only others would listen to him!

And Ratika seems more desperate by the minute. It becomes more and more clear that she has no idea what she is doing, and has just attempted whatever comes to mind to change the situation. And most of the choices seem to have been bad ones, from kladen stabbing the priestess in her hands to destroying her own personality for power later in the day. Seeing her try to explain the stabbing will be interesting!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It seems we can say with certainty that neither Indrik, nor Draga or Ludomir belong to those who want to bring back Voden. Ratika is apparently involved with them, but I don't think she knew their full intentions when she helped them/worked with them.

Apparently, Ratika did stab Vera out of her own volition. But she says she panicked, so it wasn't premeditated.

Yet Vera survived. Someone apparently dressed her wounds. And the most likely people able to do that would be the void cultists. It's clear that it's a secret society consisting of both Rodentians and Pygarians, as we see when Indrik's own soldiers attack him.

And even the Godless Priestess becomes more suspect with each repeat of the last day. What exactly was her involvement with the void cultists? Something's not right here at all. Perhaps she was just used by them. Or she voluntarily worked with them. Did Vera know their goals?

Also, what wiped out Vera's birth family? That disaster has not yet been fully explained.

And Ratika's memory that we got in this episode is super disturbing. I guess that's the work of the void cultists as well? No wonder she was willing to go to extreme lengths to fight against Pygaria.

By the way, there was this one void seal up the stars after that Rodentian seal, it would sure be nice if Indrik could have blasted this open, as he did with the Rodentian seal in front of the vault.

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009

Torrannor posted:

It seems we can say with certainty that neither Indrik, nor Draga or Ludomir belong to those who want to bring back Voden. Ratika is apparently involved with them, but I don't think she knew their full intentions when she helped them/worked with them.

Apparently, Ratika did stab Vera out of her own volition. But she says she panicked, so it wasn't premeditated.

Yet Vera survived. Someone apparently dressed her wounds. And the most likely people able to do that would be the void cultists. It's clear that it's a secret society consisting of both Rodentians and Pygarians, as we see when Indrik's own soldiers attack him.

And even the Godless Priestess becomes more suspect with each repeat of the last day. What exactly was her involvement with the void cultists? Something's not right here at all. Perhaps she was just used by them. Or she voluntarily worked with them. Did Vera know their goals?

Also, what wiped out Vera's birth family? That disaster has not yet been fully explained.

And Ratika's memory that we got in this episode is super disturbing. I guess that's the work of the void cultists as well? No wonder she was willing to go to extreme lengths to fight against Pygaria.

By the way, there was this one void seal up the stars after that Rodentian seal, it would sure be nice if Indrik could have blasted this open, as he did with the Rodentian seal in front of the vault.

The void cult is clearly a mix of Pygarians and Rodentians, that memory makes me think that was secret indoctrination and training of the Rodentian arm of the cult from Pygarian soldiers. I'd have to rewatch the videos but there's likely other people that say things that sounds weird if you think about it, like those soldiers referring to the ciphers as friends. I expect the bunch of Rodentians that expected Ludomir to die (and attacked at the end of that one day) were cultists too. As for Vera's survival, I think it may be a case that the cultists saved her life only so they could move her to somewhere more convenient for her to die at, so they could seal up her soul. They probably took the sword at the same time.

As for breaking the seal, Indrik has made it clear that he won't allow the Harbinger to order him around, so unless he wants to go in there, he never will.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Actually the precedent set by People of the Empire v. The Amazing Wondini is in our favor. People v. Sparkle Berry also established fairy wishes as legally binding contracts.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Hmm, seems I was right to suspect Fyobor (which wasn't difficult, seeing as he's the only other named character). But there's most likely somebody else there, who actually leads the organization. I wonder if they even know what they're in for. That one officer said: "you have no hand in the cleansing of this world". Are they imagining that Voden will kill all the Pygarians so that they can take over? Or, since there are Pygarian cult members, that the serpent will kill everyone but the void cultists? That seems far fetched.

Also, I'm not happy with Ratika calling Ludomir a half-wit! :colbert:

As for Vera... seems like she belongs in the "evil" category? Even if she was not a member of the cult (a big if!), she still worked with them. At the very least, she's terribly misguided. And Ratika still hasn't told us why she panicked and killed her.

By the way, coop kills seems like they're overrated. This video is one of many where the Harbinger clearly launches an enemy at a party member, yet the partner didn't kill those mooks.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yeah i wish I knew what the drat deal is with co-op kills being so finicky. Sometimes they fizzle even when the other character asks for one.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I have a feeling that whatever dark secret about Pygaria that Ratika uncovered was actually the doing of the secret plot/cult. So the whole war is one giant misunderstanding and/or a means to whatever end they wanted to bring about.

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016
I am rather curious about how the priestess who supposedly keeps the void at bay is related to void worshipping doomsday cultists.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A game of cat and mouse.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Good teamwork indeed, Draga! Nice to see that coop kills work better with her.

Also, Ratika is a giant cock tease, and I can't believe she just will not spill it out in time before Voden emerges. Grrrr

Surprisingly little new information gleaned here.

By the way, I didn't understand it when you first explained it. You said the ape motifs are because the Pygarians helped the Rodentians rebuild their capital. Why exactly? Was it to mock them? I've not seen any apes in the game yet, so I don't quite understand it. :confused:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Torrannor posted:

By the way, I didn't understand it when you first explained it. You said the ape motifs are because the Pygarians helped the Rodentians rebuild their capital. Why exactly? Was it to mock them? I've not seen any apes in the game yet, so I don't quite understand it. :confused:

Ratika mentioned, I think on her Chapter 1 path, that the Rodentians built their city on some ancient ruins. The monkey heads must have been part of the ruins.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ludomir learns a valuable lesson.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If people would just let Ratika talk! :mad:

Ugh, we passed two of Vera's seals that Ludomir could have unlocked. There's also that one passage before the vault, where you have to unlock a Rodentian seal first. And one in the Temple of Yarbog. I can't recall if there's also one in the prison.

Interesting that Vera can communicate with Ludomir. I suppose her spirit is imprisoned withing Kladen? Or at least sealed away because of the sword, even if not within Kladen itself? No wonder her soul went missing.

Did Ratika let Ludomir be captured on purpose?

I wonder what happens if we show the Omensight to Ratika? I guess it would be like with Ratika against Indrik, we need to earn their trust in order to learn how to unlock the seals.

Fyobor confirmed evil. And... is Voden catching on that we mess with time? :ohdear:

I hope there's no real time/attempts limit, with the tree dying or Voden killing us if we start over too often. There are interesting tidbits to discover, I don't like such artificial time limits in RPGs.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I imagine that Voden is catching on because he is meshing himself evermore within the fabric of the world as he corrupts the Tree of Life. The corruption of the void has been showing up where and when it should not be since three or so videos ago, and it's only growing. Maybe this is why the Ciphers appear more often, and why even the Rodentians and Pygarians grow more well prepared as the cycle continues, as if they know that there might be interference with the plan.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Wow, I only just now went and looked at the memories. Anyone who hasn't should consider doing so, they add some nice background for our allies. Especially Draga.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Honestly, Draga looks more and more like great cat lady and only decent character in the game, Indrik doesn't deserve such general.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SCANDAL

...Not exactly "new" at this point. No wonder everyone's talking about Indrik and Ratika being seen together instead.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's very rude of Indrik to interrupt the Harbinger collecting apples to restore health! That speech in front of the Fury reminded me that we haven't seen Draga and Indrik interact so far, it would be cool to see a longer section of them being together. We haven't seen any three of them together, either. And every time the Harbinger is not with one of them, they die before reaching the end of the day. So the final rewind probably has us collect all of them together to reach the end and defeat Voden together.

Interesting that Ratika said that Vera acted strange. Perhaps the Godless Priestess was possessed? By the fragment of Voden mentioned earlier? I wonder if the void cult made sure that Vera would be possessed?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Something I noticed watching the video is that in the first Indrik loop (where Ratika was killed), Ludomir apparently survived and stuck around in the temple until the apocalypse. But in this timeline Ludomir was dead by the time Indrik and the Harbinger made it to Rodentia.

And seriously, where was Draga? Every other time two characters have been in the same place, they either had a confrontation, some excuse for using different paths or else got there at different times (but we could see them in the background). Obviously the tabloids would have made too much out of seeing Indrik and Ratika together, but it would have been nice to see Draga in the skirmish before Iontrek's Fury.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

OddHaberdasher posted:

Something I noticed watching the video is that in the first Indrik loop (where Ratika was killed), Ludomir apparently survived and stuck around in the temple until the apocalypse. But in this timeline Ludomir was dead by the time Indrik and the Harbinger made it to Rodentia.

And seriously, where was Draga? Every other time two characters have been in the same place, they either had a confrontation, some excuse for using different paths or else got there at different times (but we could see them in the background). Obviously the tabloids would have made too much out of seeing Indrik and Ratika together, but it would have been nice to see Draga in the skirmish before Iontrek's Fury.

You're right, I noticed him surviving in a previous video, but didn't think about it this time. Why would he survive though? Are the void cultists busy somewhere else? Or perhaps it was a dev oversight?

Also, the soldiers attacked Draga when she accelerated the time plane for Iontrek's Fury, proving themselves part of the conspiracy. Are these the same soldiers that are around later that day, when the Fury was planned to start forward? Because those didn't attack Draga, but they also didn't attack Indrik when he showed up (in contrast to the Pygarian soldiers in front of the Vault, who do attack Indrik). I wonder if there's some kind of mind control involved.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Torrannor posted:

Also, the soldiers attacked Draga when she accelerated the time plane for Iontrek's Fury, proving themselves part of the conspiracy.

This didn't happen. You're thinking of something else.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Really Pants posted:

This didn't happen. You're thinking of something else.

You're right, I misremembered.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's like this:

except it's the pig who spun the web.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Hmm. For once, that memory is by far the most revealing part of the update.

Seems like the void cultists groomed Indrik for his role, which might explain why he's an rear end in a top hat. But they didn't anticipate his sense of duty.

It's not yet clear if Vera knew what she was doing. I could imagine that the cultists convinced her that using Kladen was the only way to deal with/kill Indrik. Which she was very keen on, after Indrik tortured Ludomir. I suspect that she might not have known she was helping the cultists summon/unseal Voden.

I already speculated that Ratika let Ludomir be captured. This supports that theory. She may have been distracted by the void cultists in the right moment, or convinced/blackmailed by them to hesitate, so that the imperials could get him. Then they used Ludomir's torture to sway Vera to their side.

Which brings me back to the point why Vera was an orphan in the first place. I'd say it's very likely that the cultists were behind that. I wonder if that's connected to the great catastrophe that devastated Rodentia, and necessitated Pygarian help in rebuilding in the first place. What was this catastrophe, and was it also arranged by the Voden worshipers to bring both nations to the brink of war?

I'm really excited for the next update.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if Ludomir found the sword with Vera's body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
People need to stop remembering things 3 seconds before the world blows up.