Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Torrannor posted:

This looks really interesting! I've never heard of this game, but the plot so far is intriguing.

If I would have to guess, someone else murdered the godless priestess, and instigated Indrik to start the war with the rats and bears. Perhaps the emperor even thinks that what he does will save the world? For that reason, I would have chosen Draga. But I'm still looking forward to what happens with Ludomir.

Is this just a choice which path you follow first, or are you now locked to Ludomir and can't investigate Draga later?

You can investigate in any order. That being said, a somewhat common problem with this game when first released was that going through characters in the wrong order could lock you out of content. Most of the time it was just small collectibles detailing backstory, but occasionally a plot branch would be locked as well (and when first released, there was no way to go back to prior chapters). This was only rectified in a patch a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Yeah, pretty much everything in this game fits together pretty well, but the soundtrack has some real bangers, especially the boss fights (when we actually get a proper boss fight, anyway...).

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Something to ponder over: in every scenario we've seen thus far, the city of Ekka seems to be in a bad shape by nightfall. What's going on over there?

Also, I hope you like Ratika's song The Cage, because it's going to be somewhere in the background of 90% of scenes involving her. Listen to this video, the Deathless!Ratika boss fight and even the very opening cutscene. It's there.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Torrannor posted:

By the way, is the Godless Priestess a rat? I can't quite make it out. And what about the witch? She looks like a bird to me.

Vera is an owl, and the witch looks sort of like a crow to me.

Stormgear posted:

Also man that tree of life is not looking too healthy.

That's just early-stage destruction of all reality. Once you figure out the source, it's easily treated.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Well, that explains why Ekka is always in such bad shape. Between the Firebird and what seems to be a full blown Void incursion, it's no wonder that Ekka gets wrecked.

On a side note, Draga is pretty fast. Got good jumping muscles. Let's be honest, it it weren't for the Harbingers time powers Draga would be the heroine of the story.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 21, 2018

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Frozenzen posted:

I'm real curious what the deal with void cultists is. The rodentians have void summoners and Ratika sells her soul for power. But even after she ascends she still helps you, and remarks upon you having to dissappear before voden figures out what you are doing.

It's a bit ambiguous, but I think it's not so much a case of Ratika selling her soul to some entity or being possessed by something as it is that taking the void into yourself gives power, yet strips all else but purpose (and rhymes apparently) in the process? Ratika performed the ritual to protect her people, and Deathless!Ratika does just that, only without emotions complicating matters. Protecting Rodentia and Voden destroying the world are mutually exclusive.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Is a mouse to be freed?

Or a mouse is to bleed?

EDIT: Also, let me be the first to point out that being stabbed in her frail, owly chest by a big-looking sword seems to be the halfway point of Vera's last day on Urallia. It doesn't look like she went down so easy as that...

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 26, 2018

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Vera's death was some point within the last few days, maybe up to a week before the Harbinger got involved. After all, her death is not a surprise to any of the characters.

It seems that Vera broke into the crypt, learned the location of Kladen and got Ratika to take her there. This is where it gets murky. As you say, the sword resisted being moved when Ratika tried to take it. But once Ratika got her hands on Kladen, her actions in taking a step towards Vera and impaling her seemed very deliberate in their movement. Vera seemed to only be apprehensive about Ratika only in the moment before she was impaled, so maybe the sword can possess people? Which, again, would bring us back to your question of 'why is Kladen trying to kill the Godless Priestess'?

What happened to Kladen and Vera? Vera is only halfway through her death timeline, so not finding her body is not shocking, but who took Kladen? Did Ratika take it with her as she fled, or did Vera take it when she recovered? Did someone else take it, maybe a member of the Void cult?

Finally, what happened to Indrik. The Firebird possesses great power, and it is unlikely that a mere cultist or Cipher could defeat him. Firebird!Indrik can easily defeat Ludomir without Harbinger assistance, and it's seeming opposite Deathless!Ratika can similarly defeat Draga if the Harbinger does not intervene. It would require an overwhelming advantage for a mortal to kill Indrik. Perhaps tellingly, when the Harbinger killed Deathless!Ratika the first time, she looked the same in death as when fought, but Indrik lacks the attributes of the Firebird. Maybe a simple difference in how long either were dead, but maybe something else...

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

NHO posted:

I just want to point out that stabby part of Kladen is same color as Firebird, while handly part - as Deathless. Also, great big statue of previous Harbringer handles it. Are the both needed?

I hope Indrik knows Mordhau.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I imagine that Voden is catching on because he is meshing himself evermore within the fabric of the world as he corrupts the Tree of Life. The corruption of the void has been showing up where and when it should not be since three or so videos ago, and it's only growing. Maybe this is why the Ciphers appear more often, and why even the Rodentians and Pygarians grow more well prepared as the cycle continues, as if they know that there might be interference with the plan.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Something I noticed watching the video is that in the first Indrik loop (where Ratika was killed), Ludomir apparently survived and stuck around in the temple until the apocalypse. But in this timeline Ludomir was dead by the time Indrik and the Harbinger made it to Rodentia.

And seriously, where was Draga? Every other time two characters have been in the same place, they either had a confrontation, some excuse for using different paths or else got there at different times (but we could see them in the background). Obviously the tabloids would have made too much out of seeing Indrik and Ratika together, but it would have been nice to see Draga in the skirmish before Iontrek's Fury.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
This was explained in the loop where Ratika and the Harbinger didn't go into Vera's tree and saved Indrik. Indrik, due to his knowledge of the writings in the crypt, knew the signs of Voden's return, and knew the Firebird would be needed. Vera's seal is all over Yarbog's temple, because that is where her family (as hereditary guardians of the temple) once lived before the cataclysm killed them all. Only the Emperors crypt was denied her.

I'm not quite sure how one becomes Emperor either, Indrik seems to imply that there is a hereditary element when he rages about Vera defiling the tomb of his 'ancestors', but every other mention just mentions a 'lineage' that may or may not be hereditary. It seems certain that the patricians have a certain amount of leeway over the process, and it is certain that at the very least Lokrin, the patrician who tutored/tormented Indrik is one of the Children of the Void, as one memory showed him giving Fyobor orders.

As for how the other two fit into the endgame, well, Draga just showed she can handle herself well enough, and Ludomir is the one who actually knows where the sword is.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
The Harbinger (the previous one) was eaten by Voden after using it's power against a greater threat, Kali (who 'surged from beneath the world'. Didn't we see a memory about some eldritch being that lay among the world-roots and was interested in whether the mortals remembered Voden?). Didn't we murder Draga (and Indrik) to learn that Voden takes the form of things it eats?

Also, unless Ratika's mother is also named Ratika, our favorite Rodentian is older than we thought. Older than Draga. Older than Vera (biologically at least. Spiritually is a different matter).

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Torrannor posted:

I'm also very concerned about our NPC friends. Ludomir and Draga will perhaps survive, but Ratika is already deathless, and there's nobody who could save Indrik from being killed :ohdear:

Draga died in the prologue, before we started messing around in the timeline. I wouldn't put my hopes on her survival in this one...

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I would just like to take this moment to admit that that I have actually played this game before, when it first came out. I enjoyed it very much, as I enjoyed its predecessor Path of Destinies (hence why I bought Omensight day 1). Granted, I haven't played it since May (when it came out), and I wasn't a completionist, so half the memories Really Pants picked up were only vaguely remembered, and half were completely new (the one where Ratika was revealed to be a contemporary of Ellia was a surprise).

I was surprised by the ending, especially since Path of Destinies generally had a more quirky, upbeat feel to it, but I mostly made my peace with it save for one niggling detail: The Children of the Void. Sure, the Harbinger can't be everywhere, stopping Voden is the important part, sacrifices have to be made, yadda yadda yadda. But for Yarbogs sake, couldn't we have at least stabbed Fyobor in the face? Broken the cults leadership? Done something to prevent the cult from trying the same thing again a decade or so from now?

Not to mention that when the game shipped, there was no way to go back to previous chapters, so some memories (and even plot branches) could literally become impossible to acquire if you went far enough in the game.

But recently, things changed. In October, a patch was released that changed a number of things, but two in particular were important. The first was the ability to finally revisit earlier chapters post-game, allowing for easier 100% completion runs. The second, was the addition of an alternate ending (one that was actually in the game files from the start and could be seen with a video player, but was not available in-game). I have absolutely no knowledge of this alternate ending. I do not know how one gets it (though I would hazard a guess that it involves collecting all memories, given the save file switcheroo Pants had to do for this update). I do not know what happens in this ending. Not a single thing.

I have been meaning to play the game again, but other things kept catching my attention. When I saw Really Pants post this in the Sandcastle, I had to be here from day one. Like I said, I made my peace with the original ending. I appreciated it for what it was. The new ending only needs to change one thing to satisfy me.

I just want someone to stab Fyobor in the face.

EDIT: Also, while I have your attention, I would just like to draw your attention to this trailer the developers made for Omensights Definitive Edition.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 9, 2018

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Well, that ending was about what I expected. I won't deny that there are a few things I would have preferred, like an ever so slightly longer ending. Have Ratika have some appearance in the first cutscene, the party splits up with Indrik getting Draga, the Harbinger gets Ludomir at Fyobor's bar (is it wrong that I assume Ludomir would still be at the bar?), Ludomir gets Omensighted, Fyobor gets slammed through the counter, then everyone goes to the place to do the thing come nightfall, with lot's of Ciphers and cultists of both nations in their way. If wishes were fishes...I still wouldn't get what I just wrote (terrible fisher).

As for you, Pants, your 'slapdash' style was perfectly fine to me, I could certainly stand to watch more of that. It's just too bad that there isn't really much to comment on during the gameplay, I wouldn't have minded more of that commentary.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Fish Noise posted:

Hmm, I'm seeing that Spearhead's previous game was also a sort of groundhog day situation?

More of a Choose Your Own Adventure situation. The main character gets his hands on a book of prophecy and is trying to find the one future that he would actually enjoy/be alive in.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Really Pants posted:

Draga's first memory was about how watching the guards fight an intruder at her factory made her want to be a fighter herself, but no Pygarian soldier would have ever taught her. I can only think Draga approached that intruder in prison for combat training, then broke them out or arranged for their release after she had climbed through the ranks. I don't know if I missed anything in the game that confirms or expands on that story or on the identity of Draga's trainer.

The last video implies pretty firmly that Ludomir trained Draga to me (14:47 for the precise moment). Ludomir moved to Pygaria to be near Vera (meeting Fyobor along the way), Draga approached Ludomir for training and then repaid the favour by breaking Ludomir out when he got captured during the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

mastersord posted:

Though Indrik says something about how "love" was why she did it. It's kind of vague but I don't see how Ludomir was involved with Draga, because he never mentions anyone he was closer to than Vera. Also Ludomir was more into fighting with his fists and brute strength, while Draga only ever uses weapons.

It's also possible that whoever trained her was not who she helped in the prison.

The last vid mentions that they fought each other before. Also Ludomir was good at fighting, but was never really "trained". He doesn't have any discipline to speak of.

Draga was the one who first mentioned love in that particular confrontation, and unrequited love is a thing. Ultimately, however, we may never know.