Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

One of the reasons I liked 2 more than 1 was because there weren’t any supernatural misdirects, just man being awful at an institutional level. A much scarier enemy imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

tao of lmao posted:

One of the reasons I liked 2 more than 1 was because there weren’t any supernatural misdirects, just man being awful at an institutional level. A much scarier enemy imo.

I can certainly understand if the supernatural bent of Season 1 wasn't your thing(although it was a minor aspect), but for me the chemistry and performances of the two leads completely overwhelms any advantage you might argue Season 2 has over it.

Lycus posted:

Was it dropped, or was he just loving around? Because that sounds like sarcasm.

My guess is he just doesn't know what the word occult means and just thinks it's a general catch-all synonym for "weird".

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Season 1 was a crazy fluke, but season 2 really wasn't as bad as people say it was. It just looks like poo poo next to season 1. I'll be watching season 3, but I don't have high hopes. I would love to be proven wrong, but the lack of a writer's room is a huge red flag.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wonder if they're going to have a witch's peg like in that X Files episode with the cannibals.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Shark posted:

I'm on episode 5 right now and maintain that the dialogue is the greatest issue so far. I think everything could have been fixed if HBO had made Nic work with someone on the script who would have told him "People don't talk like this."
People don't talk like they do in S1 either, but there somebody had the sense to call out Rust on his nonsense ramblings which made it all work.

Basebf555 posted:

My guess is he just doesn't know what the word occult means and just thinks it's a general catch-all synonym for "weird".
Do you think "occult" didn't come up in his "word of the week" list?

tao of lmao posted:

Were there really any actual misdirects? It's been four years (:gonk:) so maybe I'm missing something but it felt mostly atmospheric and I don't recall thinking that it was all actually Cthulhu's fault somehow.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Were there really any actual misdirects? It's been four years (:gonk:) so maybe I'm missing something but it felt mostly atmospheric and I don't recall thinking that it was all actually Cthulhu's fault somehow.

In almost every case they give you a way to explain the supernatural stuff, if you're inclined to do so.

One thing that maybe suggests there's more to it than just Rust's synesthesia is the fact that Reggie Ledoux seems to have some sort of vision of the future where Rust is in Carcosa, and he also says something about "black stars" which is similar to what Rust eventually does see when he reaches the inner sanctum. Maybe Rust's specific vision could be said to have been inspired by his memory of what Ledoux said to him(dubious imo), but Ledoux did in fact accurately predict that they'd end up in Carcosa.

I personally interpret the story as having very "real" supernatural elements. The Carcosa cult tapped into something FROM BEYOND and the Yellow King is their representation of that, but the rituals and killings are in fact connected in some way to this entity. Maybe it gives those involved, like Ledoux and Childress, the ability to see through the veneer of our world and into the blackness that Rust described.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s been a while since I watched it, but I think he was just saying that Cole was part of their religion or damned or whatever now and not describing any future events.

Lovecraftian dread is 100% an essential part of the show, but I never got the sense the cult was causing an apocalypse or working toward anything in particular. In fact, the whole thing kind of trails off after the 90s as, I assume, the elder generation doing the actual cult stuff died off and left only the deranged Grey Gardens guy acting alone. They also seemed like a pretty generic pagan cult to me, filtered through satanic panic stuff (or maybe the other way around).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s been a while since I watched it, but I think he was just saying that Cole was part of their religion or damned or whatever now and not describing any future events.

Lovecraftian dread is 100% an essential part of the show, but I never got the sense the cult was causing an apocalypse or working toward anything in particular. In fact, the whole thing kind of trails off after the 90s as, I assume, the elder generation doing the actual cult stuff died off and left only the deranged Grey Gardens guy acting alone. They also seemed like a pretty generic pagan cult to me, filtered through satanic panic stuff (or maybe the other way around).

Ledoux goes into the whole non-linear time thing, time is a flat circle and all that, and tells Rust "I know what happens next, I saw you in my dream", then "you're in Carcosa now" and "you'll do this again".

Certainly it doesn't prove anything, since a cop investigating the cult would be likely to end up at Carcosa at some point but he does end up being correct.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

People don't talk like they do in S1 either, but there somebody had the sense to call out Rust on his nonsense ramblings which made it all work.

I can believe that hosed up nihilists can talk like Rust- but as you say, Marty was there to say things like "Hey, don't say poo poo like that when you come over to my house!"

Basebf555 posted:

In almost every case they give you a way to explain the supernatural stuff, if you're inclined to do so.

Honestly I think the biggest hint that something else was going on was when Rust mentioned that he always knew what was real and what wasn't... but then is completely gob-struck when he enters the "throne room".

Also, Childress revisited the Dora Lange crime scene and built the same thing that Rust saw out of sticks.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

One thing that I can't really get past is that that Ray and Ani spoke a few times about how good Woodrow was, but he never really stood out that much as a detective.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

One thing that I can't really get past is that that Ray and Ani spoke a few times about how good Woodrow was, but he never really stood out that much as a detective.

I think they meant more like how he handles himself, particularly during the big shootout. He's a trained soldier and probably due to training he seems more calm and at peace during life or death situations than in regular day to day life.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I loved what S2 was going for--David Lynch + Chinatown--in spite of its many flaws. While S1 was probably lightning in a bottle I still dig the underlying idea of the series and I hope that Pizza and co. do something cool with it.

Also the Purgatory bar with Conway Twitty, Fred Ward, and gloomy gal loving ruled.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

"What is this place?"
"I don't know, you got here first."

was a great exchange, despite it being a pretty ham-fisted preview of how Ray meets his end. Way back in the original S2 thread someone said it would have been cooler if Ray defied his near death prediction and learned from it, and I agree after having watched the finale a couple times.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I think the occult stuff got dropped from s2 because a bunch of nutsacks who don’t know how to watch tv were pissed that Cthulhu didn’t show up to destroy the world in s1.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

OregonDonor posted:

Also the Purgatory bar with Conway Twitty, Fred Ward, and gloomy gal loving ruled.

Oh man, I forgot about the Worlds Most Depressing Bar.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Slamhound posted:

I think the occult stuff got dropped from s2 because a bunch of nutsacks who don’t know how to watch tv were pissed that Cthulhu didn’t show up to destroy the world in s1.

I’m pissed off almost every day that Cthulhu didn’t show up to destroy the world but I don’t think it hurts s1.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slamhound posted:

I think this is probably true. They probably got worried when they saw how much of the focus of discussion was on that aspect of the show, and purposely pulled back on it.

Professor Shark posted:

Way back in the original S2 thread someone said it would have been cooler if Ray defied his near death prediction and learned from it, and I agree after having watched the finale a couple times.

I agree with this, especially with the way Woodrough went out. Season 1 ended on a more upbeat note than expected and I thought Season 2 could've used something like that as well.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Slamhound posted:

Wasn't there a lot of noise about Pizzoletto (allegedly?) plagiarizing Ligotti after S1? That might have made him more reluctant to wade back into those waters, too.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Oh man, I forgot about the Worlds Most Depressing Bar.

lmao, that loving bar was the best. I vaguely remember Vince Vaughn doing these wtf glances at Lera Lynn as she sings about twisting on rack or whatever

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
I loved true dick 2's rough edges a whole lot more than S1's bland seriousness. I honestly couldn't even finish s1 due to sheer boredom.

I think the only real misstep in s2 was how easily the full scope of the conspiracy was revealed. But what do I know I'm just a Miami vice 2006 fanboy

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I agree that S2 didn't stand up at all to S1, but in spite of its flaws, I still enjoyed it.

I think one of their biggest problems was trying to have four lead characters. There just wasn't enough time. Pick any two and it would have been great.

Guess I need to rewatch before January 13.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

My problem with s2 is that it has a lot of absolutely amazing and memorable scene that I still remember to this day even though I only watched the season once. Stuff like Vince Vaugh dying, Ray meeting his father in the afterlife, beating up that bully's dad, the shoot out, the shootout in he forest, the second shootout, Rachel McAdams on mdma, true detective #3 trying to kill himself on his bike, etc. What I absolutely don't remember is the loving plot. I think the mayor of the town was a rapist and two children siblings that he raped came back for revenge? Also, the police department was involved? The plot tying those awesome scenes together was a mess.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I agree, while I remembered a bunch of the cool scenes, the details of the conspiracy were a bit hazy for me. I think the season should have started off cold with the jewel robbery.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Started a rewatch of season 1 because m’other half has never seen it. Ep 1 last night. I forgot how good it is. :allears:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

Started a rewatch of season 1 because m’other half has never seen it. Ep 1 last night. I forgot how good it is. :allears:

I've had people tell me they had to push through the first few episodes of Season 1 before they were really hooked and I never understood that. I dunno how you get to the end of the episode when present day Rust is saying "so if we caught the guy in 95, why am I here being interviewed about it?" and not want to immediately hit play on the next episode.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My some of my partner's family members watched Season 1 so I chatted with them about it back when it was on... they didn't like how the show was about one story and felt that they should solve a case each episode instead.

Boomers! :argh:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Professor Shark posted:

My some of my partner's family members watched Season 1 so I chatted with them about it back when it was on... they didn't like how the show was about one story and felt that they should solve a case each episode instead.

What the gently caress man what the gently caress

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

[Watches Matthew McConaughey deliver 12-minute monologue about eternal recurrence and time being a flat circle]

“Boy, Law and Order sure is different this season. Where’s that Ice T?”

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

I used to watch NYPD Blue when it was on and I remember wishing that they would have a case that took them an entire season to solve instead of being able to wrap it up in one episode.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

My grandfather is 91 years old, and every single time we talk about t.v. shows he brings up how he loves Law & Order because "you never know where the case is gonna go, it's not predictable like a lot of shows".

How he has come to that opinion will be one of the eternal mysteries to me because Law & Order has to be one of the most predictable and formulaic shows imaginable. I don't push him on it really because his long-term memory is completely gone so it's not like he's absorbing anything I say anyway.

Meanwhile, this 91 year old guy who loves Law & Order is still on the roads and recently passed a driving test. Sleep tight everyone!

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

My grandfather is 91 years old, and every single time we talk about t.v. shows he brings up how he loves Law & Order because "you never know where the case is gonna go, it's not predictable like a lot of shows".

How he has come to that opinion will be one of the eternal mysteries to me because Law & Order has to be one of the most predictable and formulaic shows imaginable. I don't push him on it really because his long-term memory is completely gone so it's not like he's absorbing anything I say anyway.

Well if that's the case, no wonder he loves it. Every episode is probably new to him with a brand-new cast.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Meanwhile, this 91 year old guy who loves Law & Order is still on the roads and recently passed a driving test. Sleep tight everyone!

He’s too old to recognize the one recognizable character actor in each episode who plays the killer.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

lmao, that loving bar was the best. I vaguely remember Vince Vaughn doing these wtf glances at Lera Lynn as she sings about twisting on rack or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbKJt1NQtZE
loving loved that bit. Vaughn and Farrell acted the gently caress out of that scene. That scene is why I can't hate season2. Flawed but man... that bit hit all the right places for me. Felt like purgatory and was a good place to start both those characters.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

My problem with s2 is that it has a lot of absolutely amazing and memorable scene that I still remember to this day even though I only watched the season once. Stuff like Vince Vaugh dying, Ray meeting his father in the afterlife, beating up that bully's dad, the shoot out, the shootout in he forest, the second shootout, Rachel McAdams on mdma, true detective #3 trying to kill himself on his bike, etc. What I absolutely don't remember is the loving plot. I think the mayor of the town was a rapist and two children siblings that he raped came back for revenge? Also, the police department was involved? The plot tying those awesome scenes together was a mess.

That's my take. The bar scene I linked above, the gunfight and the stuff you mentioned? Fun. But there was no connecting glue and that's a pretty hard failure. Remember "Brick"? That had some great scenes, snappy dialogue and all wrapped up in a nifty noir plot. TD2? Visually good with great actors but the writing was just... not always bueno. Sometimes it was ok but I remember a few lines and thinking "that was bloody goofy". Flawed and enjoyable but makes me a little melancholy when I think too hard about what it could or should have been.

Season 1 was strong as gently caress. It wasn't trying for the same LA Noir that Season 2 seemed like it was going for but what it did it knocked it out of the park. Cinematography, dialogue, acting, plot, that "hard to define something special"? Its got it in spades. Granted I met people who it didn't click for but I attribute that to personal taste. I cannot stand World War Z but I have a relative that adores that movie. They watch it constantly and can't understand why I almost go into convulsions whenever those Zeds do that stupid toothy chatter-chomp. I do hope that True Detective Season 3 does well as I like having a series that dips it feet in both Noir and Southern Gothic with just a dash of Serpent and the Rainbow.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't too pumped for this season but Saulnier, McNary and Gummer have be a lot more interested.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MightyJoe36 posted:

I used to watch NYPD Blue when it was on and I remember wishing that they would have a case that took them an entire season to solve instead of being able to wrap it up in one episode.

There was a series called Murder One done by Steven Bochco of NYPD Blue/Hill Street Blues fame, where the concept was they would take a high profile case and spend the entire season with the lawyers going through every step of the justice system. Daniel Benzali was great as the lead but nobody else could really match up to him, so the next season they... got rid of Daniel Benzali and turned it into three high profile cases per season instead :sigh:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very much looking forward to this, lotta promise. Season 1 is one of the few seasons I've rewatched, shown a friend etc, a great candidate for best season of TV ever for me. That and the recent Twin Peaks, freakin' great.

I am apoplectic waiting for this season, and I like mowing my lawn.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I watched American Assassin last night and Taylor Kitsch plays a very similar, though evil, version of Woodrow

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I think one of the things that why I didn't like Season 2 as much was that they wasted Vince Vaughn. He's not the best actor in the world, but what he does do well is being a cocky, amusing smartass. I can only remember a couple of scenes where they actually used him like that. He's not a good enough actor to pull off dour and imposing the entire time, but by having him be relatively funny and good natured and then snapping into seriousness (he's physically imposing, which is easy to forget) would have been far more effective.

This scene is a perfect example of how to use him properly, in my opinion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCIRmqts-JQ

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Other than The Cell, I think this is the only time I've seen Vince Vaughn in a serious role. I thought he did fine for the most part, within the context of some the dialogue he was given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hard to recommend due to the directors neo-nazi associations, but Vaughn shows what he can do with that kind of role in Brawl in Cell Block 99. If you shoot him properly he really is a physically scary dude.