Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Epic of Gilgamesh posted:

My friend, we've created this wasteland.
What shall we tell the gods when we get back home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Arglebargle III posted:

"You won't believe how much of a killing we made last quarter!"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Saying “I refuse to believe in the scientific models of climate change impacts because it makes me feel bad” is climate denialism not “optimism.”

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Trabisnikof posted:

Saying “I refuse to believe in the scientific models of climate change impacts because it makes me feel bad” is climate denialism not “optimism.”

Ahahaha I see this rebrand making headway "I'm not a denier just optimistic about our apocalyptic future"

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Yes, the planet got destroyed, but for a beautiful moment in time we created a lot of value for shareholders.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Martian posted:

Yes, the planet got destroyed, but for a beautiful moment in time we created a lot of value for shareholders.

hungryman XXL and SomethingAwful weres
worth the climate change apocalypse.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

TACD posted:

There will be a widespread movement within our lifetimes denying that Arctic ice ever existed.

i have been anticipating this in excitement for a year+ lol

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-15/two-million-californians-go-dark-and-more-heat-is-coming

quote:

California Braces for More Blackouts as Heat Wave Persists

By Mark Chediak, Brian Eckhouse, and David R Baker
August 15, 2020, 10:24 AM EDT Updated on August 15, 2020, 3:36 PM EDT

California is bracing for more power outages after as many as 2 million residents were plunged into darkness late Friday in the state’s first rolling blackouts since the 2001 energy crisis.

Grid operators in the state have issued a warning that they may be short on power supplies again starting at 5 p.m. local time. It comes as a heat wave is expected to blanket California through the middle of next week, sending temperatures soaring past 110 degrees Fahrenheit (43 degrees Celsius) in some areas.

“We’re seeing a once-in-a-decade heat wave,” said Brian Bartholomew, an analyst at BloombergNEF. What happened Friday “could be a preview of the actions the state’s grid operator may need to take in the days ahead.”

The sudden and largely unannounced outages in California began after a power plant malfunctioned and are a stark reminder of the fragility of power grids in the face of extreme weather. Searing heat has gripped cities around the globe in recent weeks, including Brussels, Paris and New York. Earlier this month, violent winds in the U.S. Midwest and a tropical storm in the Northeast left millions with power, in some cases for as long as a week.

California grid operators said that a 500-megawatt generator tripped offline unexpectedly during peak demand hours Friday and that a 750 megawatt unit that was out of service didn’t return until after the peak hit. If both had been in service, grid operators wouldn’t have had to call for outages, said Anne Gonzales, a spokeswoman for grid manager California Independent System Operator.

“We did call on all of our reserves,” she said. “There was record breaking heat. At 7:30 p.m, the sun was going down and the demand was holding. There is nothing nefarious going on here. We are just trying to run the grid. The peak demand was steady in late hours and we had thousands of megawatts of solar reducing their output as the sun set.”

The heat and the blackouts are hitting at an especially vulnerable time for the region with Covid-19 forcing people to remain at home. Less than a year ago but before the pandemic, regional utilities deliberately cut off power to millions of customers in an effort to prevent their power lines from igniting wildfires amid unusually strong winds — another consequence of increasingly extreme weather brought on in part by climate change.

Friday’s outages in California started at about 6:30 p.m., when the state’s grid operator determined through a complex calculation that power reserves had fallen below a critical threshold and called a Stage 3 grid emergency, which triggers what it describes as “load interruption.”

The last time such a declaration was made during the electricity crisis of 2000 and 2001, hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses took turns going dark, power prices surged to a record and the state’s largest utility was forced into bankruptcy.

Late Friday, the state’s system operator put the call out to the state’s utilities to cut demand by about 1,000 megawatts. That’s enough to power about 750,000 homes, by California ISO’s estimates, affecting more than 2 million people based on the average household size.

not only is the US a failed/failing state, but the state of california within it is also actively crumbling.

the grid is going to get less and less reliable and people with money are increasingly going to e-horde by buying bigger batteries. a 95% reliable grid for the masses with sufficient backups to be 100% reliable for anyone with money works fine in lots of other countries.

MightyBigMinus fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 16, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lmao @ 'once in a decade heatwave'. Cya next summer.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
just lmao at the loving state of this planet

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Man too bad southern california doesn't have sunlight virtually year-round.

If it did some solar power would be really helpful with the mid-day air conditioning.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

Man too bad southern california doesn't have sunlight virtually year-round.

If it did some solar power would be really helpful with the mid-day air conditioning.

It's not daytime power usage that's the problem, it's evening usage (7PM on) when the solar power is winding down. Apparently a couple power plants had a fuckup and the state was short on power generation to the tune of about a gigawatt.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

re-read the quoted half of the article argle.

california's heavy usage of solar basically "caused" this problem, or more accurately setup the conditions for there to be insufficient margin for error.

don't get me wrong, i don't "blame" solar in some kind of "therefore its bad and we should do less of it" sense, merely that handling the 5pm - 8pm ramp is our next big challenge to tackle. thats why so many solar plants going forward are being quoted as "solar+4" projects where if you're building a 200MW array you're also building 800MWh's of battery.

imho the real solution will come from better demand response, V2H, and widespread residential batteries. here's a company already doing cool things: https://www.energyhub.com/

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Complications posted:

It's not daytime power usage that's the problem, it's evening usage (7PM on) when the solar power is winding down. Apparently a couple power plants had a fuckup and the state was short on power generation to the tune of about a gigawatt.

i'm behind the times!

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

just to put more real world numbers to things, this 1.2GWh battery plant is already underway: https://electrek.co/2020/02/27/tesla-1gwh-megapack-battery-project-pge-approved/

another two of those and this would have been handle-able (very roughly speaking). this is very solvable now it just requires PSE&G/california/americans to invest in infrastructure... which is a somewhat complicated situation right now.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Climate change is so powerful it transported the Arctic to the worst case fire scenario for 2050.
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1294861606791372800

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tekne posted:

Climate change is so powerful it transported the Arctic to the worst case fire scenario for 2050.
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1294861606791372800

lol. 2020 is the funniest year ever.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You know what, this once I'm just not going to click on that link

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

MightyBigMinus posted:

re-read the quoted half of the article argle.

california's heavy usage of solar basically "caused" this problem, or more accurately setup the conditions for there to be insufficient margin for error.

don't get me wrong, i don't "blame" solar in some kind of "therefore its bad and we should do less of it" sense, merely that handling the 5pm - 8pm ramp is our next big challenge to tackle. thats why so many solar plants going forward are being quoted as "solar+4" projects where if you're building a 200MW array you're also building 800MWh's of battery.

imho the real solution will come from better demand response, V2H, and widespread residential batteries. here's a company already doing cool things: https://www.energyhub.com/

i feel like implementing improved demand response has so much potential. Up until now people just didn't have enough information or capacity to optimize their power use. Now with cheaper home batteries and better integrated home electronics and stuff it creates possibilities for radical improvements in efficiency.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Martian posted:

You know what, this once I'm just not going to click on that link

Gone on, do it. It's inevitable

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

toggle posted:

Gone on, do it. It's inevitable

click link denier

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I DID click this one. It's... not great.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1295350126395957249

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Today I learned that there is a golf course in the middle of loving Death Valley.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/F...!4d-116.8707548

Zoomed in...

Surely they can't be irrig--

:(

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Sundae posted:

Surely they can't be irrig--

I'm no golfer, but once the grass is grown why not just let it die? Then you just cut it once and it stays that length. If people are super uptight about green grass just paint it.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

davebo posted:

I'm no golfer, but once the grass is grown why not just let it die? Then you just cut it once and it stays that length. If people are super uptight about green grass just paint it.

uh, forget agent orange.

What we need is agent green for the Amazon rainforest.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
All golf should be played in warehouses with carpeted surfaces and wiffle balls and you walk around in loafers and dressing gowns

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Good news!!

https://twitter.com/alexckaufman/status/1295812448163962883

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Controlled opposition while the world burns. gently caress.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

LeeMajors posted:

Controlled opposition while the world burns. Frack.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Noice

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Biden's gonna take us right over the cliff

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a picture that was posted a few months back. It's like, a series of trophy shots of fishermen proudly holding up ever-shrinking catches over the years. Anyone remember what I'm talking about? It's so perfect.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MightyBigMinus posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-15/two-million-californians-go-dark-and-more-heat-is-coming

not only is the US a failed/failing state, but the state of california within it is also actively crumbling.

the grid is going to get less and less reliable and people with money are increasingly going to e-horde by buying bigger batteries. a 95% reliable grid for the masses with sufficient backups to be 100% reliable for anyone with money works fine in lots of other countries.

So uhh do David Geffen, Notch, et al. have their own generators? a separate power grid? what is the mechanism by which they avoid living in the third-world country outside beverly hills?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

tuyop posted:

I'm looking for a picture that was posted a few months back. It's like, a series of trophy shots of fishermen proudly holding up ever-shrinking catches over the years. Anyone remember what I'm talking about? It's so perfect.

Not exactly a picture but this article has a progression of pictures over the years at the same place which is pretty startling.

https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2014/02/05/257046530/big-fish-stories-getting-littler

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Mameluke posted:

So uhh do David Geffen, Notch, et al. have their own generators? a separate power grid? what is the mechanism by which they avoid living in the third-world country outside beverly hills?

there's a huuuge market for "whole house" generators already: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Generators-Whole-House-Generators/N-5yc1vZbx9s

any rich persons house is almost sure to have one, and if not its <$10k away.

and thats not even getting into the solar+batteries fad

anyone who can afford a hot tub or an above ground pool can afford a generator. everyone else, welp, summer months from 5pm to 9pm ur just gonna have to take a nap in the shade till the power's back.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Shyrka posted:

Not exactly a picture but this article has a progression of pictures over the years at the same place which is pretty startling.

https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2014/02/05/257046530/big-fish-stories-getting-littler

Mmm yeah, that's the stuff.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

There were a bunch of jokes in the 90's and 2000's about grandpa telling his fishing story where he caught one that's *stretches arms out* thissss big, and everyone has a laugh because hoho old grandpa doesn't know what he's on about fish that people catch are never that big he's just exaggerating. I laughed at those jokes too.

Joke's on me, though, which is still pretty funny.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MightyBigMinus posted:

there's a huuuge market for "whole house" generators already: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Generators-Whole-House-Generators/N-5yc1vZbx9s

any rich persons house is almost sure to have one, and if not its <$10k away.

and thats not even getting into the solar+batteries fad

anyone who can afford a hot tub or an above ground pool can afford a generator. everyone else, welp, summer months from 5pm to 9pm ur just gonna have to take a nap in the shade till the power's back.

$10k for a standby generator is actually a whole lot. My house was rebuilt last year after a fire, and the insurance company more or less threw a standby generator in for "free" with excess structure settlement money. Our cost was around $4k because the contractor was bundling it with everything else, but it wouldn't have been more than $6-7k normally. And that's for a unit that can power the AC along with "normal" house electrical usage. You can get a smaller standby generator for less than $4k installed easily.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Cunningham's law applies 10x if you ever dare mention a price on the internet

the less than symbol? ignored

the link to a dozen examples in the 3 - 8k price range? ignored

conversational context that we're literally talking about specifically named billionares with specifically known large house examples? ignored

SOMEONE MENTIONED A MARGINALLY HIGHER PRICE THAN I ONCE GOT A DEEEEEAAAAALLLLLLL ON TIME TO TALK DEEEEEEAAAALLLLLSSSS

sorry this is probably more shitposty than i should be in d&d