Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Epitope posted:

It's not though. Even if eco terrorism were able to act as an emergency brake on this runaway train, the rest of civilization still has to function if civilization is going to survive. That's what you mean by meaningful, right? Civilization surviving? Cuz there's plenty of other ways to find meaning in your life, that don't hinge on civilization's fate.

Are you under the impression that when I say "meaningful difference" I mean that the only meaning in my life comes from how i can influence the fate of the world? This is a bizarre interpretation of anything anyone has ever said. You're pretty clearly arguing in bad faith or just not interested in anything other than the conclusions you've already reached, but obviously when I say meaningful difference I don't mean finding meaning in the life of an individual person.

Rime posted:

As I said in the last thread: anyone who has discussed this topic on the Internet is already on enough watch lists that your chances of success are nil. Our only hope is that kids, who are currently ten or twelve, are smart enough to stfu about smashing the state when online and put their phones in faradu cages when they meet up offline.

Thusly, there is very little point in discussing direct action besides a desire to feed ones own ego. You can't do it effectively, and you won't do it anyways because the risk to your comfortable existence is far too great VS. what is still an uncertain future calamity in the back of your mind, so instead set that discussion aside for your own safety and sanity.

Lowtax has enough to deal with.

Yea obviously, this is another part of why I'm not particularly interested in encouraging anyone here to join an eco-terrorist organization. Have you people never heard of the tragedy of the commons? It is not in my best interest, or that of anyone else in this thread, to take meaningful action regarding climate change, so you shouldn't. This is what I've been saying the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm going to set my own rear end on fire

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ChairMaster posted:

Are you under the impression that when I say "meaningful difference" I mean that the only meaning in my life comes from how i can influence the fate of the world?

I'm arguing against the ludicrous notion that violence is the only way to make a difference. I'm not sure what you mean by meaningful. Is The Green New Deal meaningless? Are the IPCC and National Climate Assessment etc. meaningless? Tragedy of the commons, we should all just throw our hands up and walk away.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Isn't talking about violence the same as discussing about magical CO2 absorbing technologies? It's not like civilians have any chance of doing anything before being stomped like a soon to be extinct insect.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
As far as making an actual different in the process of the changing climate of the earth, yes the Green New Deal is meaningless, as is the National climate assessment. To suggest otherwise seems to betray a fundamental lack of understanding of the magnitude of the issue at hand. The IPCC had it's chance to make a significant impact a long time ago, but they are traditionally hilariously optimistic and conservative in their reporting, and even in the most recent report they admit that it is pretty much politically impossible to make the changes needed to avert catastrophe, as vaguely defined as that term is. Scientists are unfortunately incredibly naive and ignorant when it comes to politics, just as much as most politicians are when it comes to science.

The Green New Deal is very significant in terms of the welfare of the people of the United States of America, but it is nowhere near the amount of action we really need as far as climate change goes.

I suggest reading the most recent IPCC report when you have the time, even skimming it with the knowledge of their conservative optimism can help you understand how bad things really are.

e:

gmq posted:

Isn't talking about violence the same as discussing about magical CO2 absorbing technologies? It's not like civilians have any chance of doing anything before being stomped like a soon to be extinct insect.

A lot of people died for the right to have holidays, weekends, and fair pay. People died for equal rights. People would have to be willing to die to make a difference today, but they are not. I am not. Nobody here is.

That's just the state of things right now.

e2: As far as the specifics of how it could be possible or what would have to be done, I'm pretty sure that's a topic of discussion that would be quite reasonably disallowed even in the case of whatever the mod ruling on the subject ends up being, so let's not talk about that.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 28, 2018

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

gmq posted:

I dunno, man. Osama bin Laden changed the course of history with a couple dozen civilians and a little bit of funding.

e: disclaimer - i am not advocating or calling for terrorism, just making a point. I have far too many video games to play and weed to smoke to want to do that. State room on the Titanic, and all that.

How are u fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 28, 2018

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
:matters:
^
but violence

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Plenty of stuff matters, such as living your life to it's fullest even if you know it's not going to be as long or easy as the one your parents had and enjoying what time you have left. Another thing that matters is not lying to yourself, and being knowledgeable about the state of the world, if you are equipped to understand and handle that information, which I believe that most people here are.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Avalerion posted:

Reminds me of how bugs get thrown around as the food of the future when meat runs out or gets too expensive a lot. What I always thought was dumb is how eating bugs is always presented as that - eating bugs, like someone taking a bite of a scorpion or a handful of ants, of course people will be turned off by that. Why not ground them up into flour, or like a hamburger patty first - anything to make it not look like I'm eating bugs.

one documentary I saw they turn them into little rectangular gelatin bars. looked tasty.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

incredible flesh posted:

I see none of you benifited from the wisdom of the late George Carlin. Tis a shame. Eco-terrorize my ballsack

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
My astronomy professor assigned this PBS/NOVA documentary as homework and I found it interesting. I imagine it will be entry-level stuff for many of you but it explains in comprehensible terms the science behind climate change and is generally pretty compelling, if long. I'm sure it's probably got issues from an in depth perspective but I assume at least some people will come to this thread not knowing anything about climate change.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

incredible flesh posted:

Hot.. much like this planet.

In good news, Australian Schoolchildren are protesting and marching on our parliament to demand action on Climate Change. Australian Prime Minister shows less maturity by demanding children take less activism about protecting their future and is fairly roundly lambasted as an idiot. They're also organising a countrywide walkout of classrooms and heading to MPs offices to directly protest this Friday.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

incredible flesh posted:

Guy already tried that, didnt help

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/14/nyregion/david-buckel-dead-fire.html

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

incredible flesh posted:

can you define "natural life span" for me as you would have defined it prior to finding out the end is nigh? like what did you expect to be doing with your life for the next ~50 years, assuming a baseline level of natural human optimism? we're all in for chaos but some of our lifelong dreams are more apocalypse-friendly than others, my life is going to be barely disrupted by climate change because i always intended to farm goats and saltbush as a wandering water diviner in the desert

Just the usual thing of coming from work to read a book or play video games, travel somewhere interesting 2-3 times a year, all the while saving for retirement. :shrug: I got enough saving to last me for 15-20 years under current conditions and some of the reports made it sound like that's all what we are getting anyway, which is why I considered doing the retirement thing early.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Avalerion posted:

Just the usual thing of coming from work to read a book or play video games, travel somewhere interesting 2-3 times a year, all the while saving for retirement. :shrug: I got enough saving to last me for 15-20 years under current conditions and some of the reports made it sound like that's all what we are getting anyway, which is why I considered doing the retirement thing early.

We've got a financial crash brewing within the next few years that the global economy might not get any chance to recover from, followed as it'll be by other crises, so that's actually what "the current conditions" have going for them.

The 15 years (give or take) predictions are merely in regards to when we'll start seeing some real :stare: climate poo poo, and not an indication of how long we can keep up the pretense of business as usual.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

See when you say “financial crash” I read that as fallout style “money is now worthles” and we go back to a barter system or bottle caps.

If it’s not that - do I keep money in a bank or under my pillow? Or rather invest in something... gold, property?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Avalerion posted:

I got enough saving to last me for 15-20 years under current conditions

How the hell did you manage that? I can't even save one third of my income most days (food is my biggest cost because I have zero energy to cook so I end up spending over 300 Euros per month, plus 950 on rent).

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

How the hell did you manage that?
Only child in a big extended family, just got hella lucky.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Avalerion posted:

Just the usual thing of coming from work to read a book or play video games, travel somewhere interesting 2-3 times a year, all the while saving for retirement.
ugh

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Avalerion posted:

See when you say “financial crash” I read that as fallout style “money is now worthles” and we go back to a barter system or bottle caps.

If it’s not that - do I keep money in a bank or under my pillow? Or rather invest in something... gold, property?

When I say financial crash I mean 2008 but worse. Probably much worse.

Diversify your investments. Avoid the oil industry. Most certainly do not put it in property.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Conspiratiorist posted:

We've got a financial crash brewing within the next few years

how many years have you been saying this for

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
predicting there's going to be a crash is easy; predicting when it'll be is hard.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

coffeetable posted:

how many years have you been saying this for

About .3 years.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

When I say financial crash I mean 2008 but worse. Probably much worse.

Diversify your investments. Avoid the oil industry. Most certainly do not put it in property.

I have zero investments precisely because I have been hearing this for a while. Do I keep it that way post crash or will it be an opportunity to buy low?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I promised I would post in this thread and here we go:

First news as to what I'm doing. A few friends and I were tired of powerful NIMBY groups in our area preventing more affordable and denser housing and mass transit being built, so we founded our own YIMBY group. So far we've gotten the ears of local county council members, and are trying to talk to other local activist groups (DSA, local Sierra Club chapters, ect) to promote YIMBYism.

How does this apply to climate change? Well its clear that one way to reduce carbon emissions is to have denser, more affordable housing with walk able amenities and transit options. I personally got really into YIMBYism after spending some time exploring European major cities, and it is almost night and day compared to most American cities / suburbs. We're going to need better transit options, dense (affordable!) housing, and newer more efficient buildings with roof gardens, rain gardens, LEED lighting, ect. It may not seem like it will be help in a big way in a macro way, but with an issue as big and seemingly impossible to tackle as climate change, any local differences we can make are a step in the right direction.

Also I am almost done watching this excellent PBS series called "Sinking Cities".

https://www.pbs.org/show/sinking-cities/

They profile several cities (London, Tokyo, Miami, New York) and the challenge they face from rising sea levels, and what they are doing to combat it. From watching it, it seems Tokyo and London have several huge projects in the works to combat future rising seas and flooding. New York's idea seems to be to just build a sea wall. Miami is..lol Miami is hosed and is just building more luxury condominiums.

Thanks for contributing to the thread Solaris! Fighting "Not in my backyard" advocates is extremely helpful to combatting climate change because those people are often the opposition to mass transit, bike paths, and other civic and building improvements towards population densification. Keep up the good fight and if you have any groups you want to share just post about them and we can put it up in the OP. I have been watching that PBS series and it is excellent. I am going to put that poo poo in the OP as well.

AceOfFlames posted:

I have zero investments precisely because I have been hearing this for a while. Do I keep it that way post crash or will it be an opportunity to buy low?

He means to invest in low-risk index funds and not "get-rich-quick" options that carry high risk. Property investments are not wise because we don't know what that property will look like, but investing in reliable steady stocks that suffer very little volatility is a good decision.

As for your question earlier about how you get involved in your community when you don't know you neighbors Ace. I have always found the simplest way to get to know your neighbors is to invite them for dinner or start a "game night". You also mentioned you are not super comfortable with the language of the country you are in, well that is a good way to help you get more comfortable. Just knock on your neighbor's door and say "I am trying to get to know the people in my neighborhood a bit better, was wondering if you would like to come for dinner?" Or some variation of that. It works wonders. We are often so disconnected from each other that for someone to make the first move is delightfully refreshing. I have gotten to know most of the people in my apartment complex by just chatting with them at the pool in the summertime or inviting people I see in passing every day over for dinner. It builds community and I think it will help your mental state too my friend.

Thread Note: We have a nice tone here and posters that haven't been here before are asking questions and getting interested. This thread has a much more activist tone to it than the last abomination and I would like to keep it that way so we can attract more people to the discussion/cause. The more misanthropey we get, the more we turn potential allies away

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 28, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Want to say I do feel a bit guilty over my “gotta look out for myself” angle, I do have symphathy for future generstions and those who will get hit by all this harder and respect for those of you actually trying to fix things, so kudos for that.

I did convince the family that out next car should be a hybrid, guess that’s something?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
More good news: My city decided to replace all inner city busses with e-busses (they are hybrids now).

In a couple years, our public transport system will be 100% CO2 free!

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Boy this thread is something else.

My favorite method of carbon sequestration was seeding the iron-starved south Atlantic with iron to cause a giant algal bloom before dying and sinking to the ocean floor. It wasn't nearly as effective as it should have been though

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Some rogue millionaire tried that off Haida Gwaii a few years ago. It appeared to do nothing at all. Rustled a whole lot of jimmies however. Apparently the convention against dumping waste at sea has clauses banning geoengineering, but doesn't do sweet jack poo poo about Carnival Cruise Lines.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Blitz7x posted:

Boy this thread is something else.

My favorite method of carbon sequestration was seeding the iron-starved south Atlantic with iron to cause a giant algal bloom before dying and sinking to the ocean floor. It wasn't nearly as effective as it should have been though

Yeah it dosen't do anything :(

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

friendbot2000 posted:

As for your question earlier about how you get involved in your community when you don't know you neighbors Ace. I have always found the simplest way to get to know your neighbors is to invite them for dinner or start a "game night". You also mentioned you are not super comfortable with the language of the country you are in, well that is a good way to help you get more comfortable. Just knock on your neighbor's door and say "I am trying to get to know the people in my neighborhood a bit better, was wondering if you would like to come for dinner?" Or some variation of that. It works wonders. We are often so disconnected from each other that for someone to make the first move is delightfully refreshing. I have gotten to know most of the people in my apartment complex by just chatting with them at the pool in the summertime or inviting people I see in passing every day over for dinner. It builds community and I think it will help your mental state too my friend.

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm not inclined to trust food offered by someone I don't know, obviously restaurants or whatever are an exception.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Libluini posted:

More good news: My city decided to replace all inner city busses with e-busses (they are hybrids now).

In a couple years, our public transport system will be 100% CO2 free*!

*other than the power stations

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Shifty Nipples posted:

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm not inclined to trust food offered by someone I don't know, obviously restaurants or whatever are an exception.

Then invite them for a board game night? There are a lot of options available to be a good neighbor and building community.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

friendbot2000 posted:

Then invite them for a board game night? There are a lot of options available to be a good neighbor and building community.

That's like where we all play facebook games on our phones right?

I'm kidding of course.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Shifty Nipples posted:

That's like where we all play facebook games on our phones right?

I'm kidding of course.

Ha. I giggled a little bit at that. I have actually noticed a trend of board games making a comeback in society. Which honestly is a good thing because it promotes community instead of a lot of video games which is more "being alone, together". Unless you are playing Monopoly or Sorry...

Edit: Never play Sorry sober. That is how your friends end up not being friends anymore.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

friendbot2000 posted:

I just watched the movie Game Night on a recent flight and this now seems like a much scarier proposition.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

How are u posted:

I just watched the movie Game Night on a recent flight and this now seems like a much scarier proposition.

I hate all of you.

Edit: I actually love all my misanthrope fellow goons <3

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 28, 2018

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

How are u posted:

I just watched it too. I wouldn't want to be be friends with anyone who thinks that playing games from (ugh) Parker Brothers is a remotely appropriate group activity.

Now, euro games on the other hand...

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Instead of violence why not just covertly disrupt large corporate activities and industry, and/or infrastructure? Oil drilling sites and the like, use your imagination. Just no violence against people.
Those people who were protesting on the London bridges last week got people's attention but I think blocking roads, and ironically busses and public transportation just pisses off the general public. Disrupting traffic sounds cool but there's bigger fish to fry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Instead of violence why not just covertly disrupt large corporate activities and industry, and/or infrastructure? Oil drilling sites and the like, use your imagination. Just no violence against people.
Those people who were protesting on the London bridges last week got people's attention but I think blocking roads, and ironically busses and public transportation just pisses off the general public. Disrupting traffic sounds cool but there's bigger fish to fry.

Tell that to the Standing Rock Sioux tribe.