Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Robert Eddington. Everyone knows that name. He made his first million in the dot-com bubble, Then he made the next hundred million over the following decade. Like him or loathe him and there's plenty of people who do either you can't ignore him. In his latest publicity stunt/wonderful act of charity (delete as applicable), he's announced his new vision for education. A school that attracts the best of the best pupils. Generous scholarships available for those who need them. The finest teachers using the latest educational methods and the newest equipment. It's going to be the flagship for a whole new generation of schools if it works.

The Eddington school offers the best education money can buy. And you are a pupil there. Whether you sweated blood to earn a scholarship or your parents paid a boatload of money you're hanging with the best of the best. Of course you're not like them are you. You have a secret, you're something different aren't you? Maybe you've always been that way or maybe you've only just changed. Hell you might even be a perfectly normal teenager. But dark secrets are brewing at the school and you're right in the middle of them.

Good luck. You're probably going to need it.

What This Is

This is a Monsterhearts game. You pick a skin (class), and act out some shameless teen melodrama full of sex and confusion and terrible life decisions, plus youre a monster so you might also need to eat people or something. Its pretty easy to pick up if youve played Dungeon World or Apocalypse World, or even if you havent -- all you need is your skin and the reference sheet (links are a bit down the page). This game will use the 2nd Edition MH rules.

If you feel like signing up, write up a brief description of your character (most people like to do these in first person, in-character), fill out your character sheet and post them both here. Once youve posted this, Ill ask a few questions to help get a feel for the character, before making final picks. Characters are juniors in this school(in their third year of high school).

Im planning on taking up to 6 characters. The submission period will be one week (until November 24th). If you need more time, let me know and Ill most likely be able to wait for you.

I have a discord set up. It helps the game to have a place where the players can have OOC discussions, plus I or other people can help if you have any questions. Join it and feel free to ask about anything and everything to do with the game.

https://discord.gg/XTafSMS

Skins:

I'm only allowing the skins in the Core Book and Second Skins plus the Chosen and Serpentine. The only exception to this is the Heir because that skin is bad and dumb.

Some helpful links:

Reference Sheets and Core Skins
Chosen
Serpentine

School Creation

The only idea of the school I have is that everything there equipment wise is top of the line and that it's a boarding school with the children staying in fancy dorms. Everything else is up for grabs. If you're a Selkie it can be located near a major river or the sea, if you're a Fae there might be a forest nearby. If you're a Ghost maybe it's based in an old manor etc etc.

General Considerations:

Monsterhearts is a game that frequently involves tricky subject matter (racism, homophobia and other forms of shittiness, physical/emotional abuse), just kind of by definition. If any of you get freaked out during play, please talk to me about it. Its important people feel safe here -- I care more about your emotional well-being than I do about this storygame topic. After doing selections, I'll be bringing up any boundaries players have to try and make sure nothing comes up before hand, but again, if at any time something makes you uncomfortable, just say so, no need to explain why. Basically, everyone's fun and well-being is important, so we'll all collectively avoid being creeps or jerks, alright?

New players are more than welcome to app - I'll be more than happy to help guide people through the character creation process. Please don't let all these intimidate you - if this game looks fun to you and you've got both an idea and time, you should totally app a character!

Thanks to godfish / AdjectiveNoun / gazetter / Rauri/ Heliotrope for most of this OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Marielle Hazeldine, The Witch
#witches #witchy #witchblr

This Eddingtons place is alright. I mean, okay, being honest? It's pretty drat cool. I'm still not exactly sure how I got here, to be perfectly honest. I submitted an essay for one of the scholarships on a lark and, well... here I am. It's things like this that make me think this whole witchy thing has some real teeth. I'd just sorted some crystals, burned some aromatic herbs, and sent my will out into the universe and Bam! Full ride to the hottest new thing in education since, I don't know, standardized testing?

But, yeah, I'm a witch. I'd tell you my exact school of thought, but I can't honestly make heads or tails of the honest differences. I'm self-taught, mainly, though I follow some pretty legit folks on Tumblr. There's a lot of crap out there, but if you look at things long enough you start to see some pretty interesting similarities in practice between the people that legit have a following. I mostly stick to tarot readings, myself, but I've been known to get a full set-up going when something important is up. Like this thing with Eddingtons, for example. Who knows if it actually did anything, but it's kind of comforting to think it did.

There've been a few times where I've been working with... uh. Well, sometimes I get really pissed. That's not so wrong, right? So I've, maybe, looked up some darker hexes too. At my old school, one of my friends just went full betrayal and socially backstabbed me like you wouldn't believe. That's all I'm gonna say, but it was bad. Real bad. So I spent a few days holed up in my room, looking up things online, and then I hit her with the big guns. Metaphorically, anyway. I wanted her to feel exactly as betrayed as I did. So I went through the ceremonies, set up my altar appropriately, and set things to work. I didn't really expect it to do anything. Hell, for all I know it didn't. Maybe it was the guilt over what she did that led to her breakdown. But... maybe it wasn't. Maybe I do have power. I guess there's only one way to find out, right?

quote:

Name: Marielle Hazeldine
Look: Coy
Eyes: Playful eyes
Origin: Tumblr

Stats:
Hot +1
Cold -1
Volatile -1
Dark +2

Moves:
☑ Sympathetic Tokens
You gain power from Sympathetic Tokens - items of personal significance taken from others. Sympathetic Tokens count as Strings.

☑ Hex-Casting
You can cast Hexes. Choose two that you know. To cast them, either expend a Sympathetic Token during a secret ritual, or meet the targets gaze and chant at them in tongues. Then roll with Dark. On a 10 up, the Hex works, and can easily be reversed. On a 7-9, it works but choose one:
⮚ the casting does you 1 Harm;
⮚ the Hex has weird side effects;
⮚ trigger your Darkest Self.

Hexes:
☑ Binding
The person cannot physically harm others.

☑ Illusions
Pick one: snakes and bugs, demonic visages, false prophecies, non-existent subtext. The hexed sees that thing everywhere. You have no control over the exact images or manifestations.

Your Backstory:
You start the game with two Sympathetic Tokens. Decide whose and what they are.

One of the others caught you rummaging through their friends stuff, but hasnt said anything. They get a String on you.

Darkest Self:
The time for subtlety and patience is over. Youre too powerful to put up with their garbage any longer. You hex anyone who slights you. All of your hexes have unexpected side effects, and are more effective than you are comfortable with. To escape your Darkest Self, you must offer peace to the one you have hurt the most.

Sex Move:
After sex, you can take a Sympathetic Token from them. They know about it, and its cool.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 22, 2018

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Misty Glyndwr, the Selkie

Ohmigosh! This place is so cool! I never thought, in a million, billion years I'd ever be in a place like this! It's like a dream come true! There's all this delicious food and nice people and things! Wonderous things! Like that small, rectangular, metal thing everyone seems to carry around with them! Have you seen that thing!? It's like magic! All you have to do is touch it with your finger, and stuff happens! And you can hear other people's voices through it, too! Isn't that cool!? We don't have anything like that where I'm from! I think it's called an, uh, Eye Foam? I've got one, too, but, uh, I don't actually know how to use it, hehe...

Hi! I'm Misty! It's really nice to meet you! I'm not from around here! I'm actually from the sea! I'm not even actually human!

...Oh, uh, I'm... not... actually supposed to tell anybody that. Oops.

Umm, can you please keep that a secret? Nobody's supposed to know about what I really am. Or at least, that's what grandma tells me. You see, I'm actually from the Deep. It's far from here. Like, really, really far, and I'm, um, actually not even supposed to be here. My dad, he, uh, doesn't trust land folk. He thinks you're all, well, evil, and can't be trusted, but there's no way your kind can be as bad as he says they are! He's just old and grumpy, and he doesn't understand how wondrous the surface world is. I love him, and I love my home, but I didn't want to be stuck in the Deep forever. I'm not a youngling anymore. I'm almost an adult now, and I wanted to experience new things, and do all sorts of fun human stuff! So, I left. Without telling him. He's, uh, probably not happy about that, but I'm sure he'll understand eventually!

How'd I get here in the first place! Oh! It is a funny story! Uh, actually, it isn't funny, but it's still a story I could tell! I got here because of my Gran Gran! She was the first of us to leave to live on the surface, and I went to her after leaving home. She used her, uh, connections? (I think that's what she called them) to bring me here to this thing you call School. She told me I had to live here now, but that's okay! I don't mind! I get to meet all sorts of people, and do things I could never do back home! It's going to be the the bee's ankle!

Um, is that how you say it? I'm still getting used to most of your phrasing. It's a little confusing sometimes...

...And, um, would you... happen to know where my pelt is, do you? It's, well, something special to me, but I... seem to have misplaced it. Whoops. Oh well, I'm sure I'll turn up eventually! Maybe! Oh Gods I hope I didn't lose it. What am I going to do if I can't find it!? Ahhh, don't panic! Don't panic! I just... need to search harder for it. That's right! I'm sure if I keep looking, and never give up, I'll find it again! And everything will be alright again! I hope...

quote:

Name: Misty Glyndwr
Look: Riveting
Eyes: Glistening eyes
Origin: Breaking the rules

Stats:
Hot +2
Cold -1
Volatile -1
Dark +1

Moves:
 Outer Skin
Wear your pelt to look like a seal, breathe underwater, and swim incredibly fast. While wearing it, you can choose to return to The Deep Kingdom. If you do it's for good, so make a new character.

 Keep Away
People can steal your pelt but can't destroy it. When you pursue a task the current holder asked of you, add 1 to rolls.

If the holder doesn't return your pelt after you complete the task, gain a String on them, and add 1 to rolls against them until they give you a new task.

 Catch of the Day
Whenever you don't understand what's going on or what someone means, and it gets you into trouble, or leads you to make unwise choices, mark experience.

Your Backstory:
You watched someone swimming. Gain a String on them.

Someone stole your pelt, and they've figured out how important it is to you. They said they'll give it back if you do something for them. Each gain a string on one another.

Darkest Self:
People have mistreated you and made you an outcast here. It's time to show them how it feels to be lost at sea, to be apart from the things you have loved, to have parts of your self stolen from you. So you will flood the Earth. You will destroy what they cherish. And you will take their pelts. You escape your Darkest Self when this place reminds you of home, or when you recognize what you came here for.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, it counts as submerging yourself in water. Since all oceans tell you their secrets, gain a String on someone else they've had sex with.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 19, 2018

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Jay Robinson, the Cuckoo

This school sucks. My parents could afford to send me here and they did. They talk about how they thought my mom would never have kids and then I happened, like it was a good thing. But they never really cared for me actually being here. So when Eddington opened up they talked about how great an opportunity it would be...but I could see they were glad to have the house back to themselves and not have to worry about me anymore. Not like they did much of that before.

But now I'm here, where people are less tolerant then back home, where I'm viewed with suspicion by the scholarship students but not accepted by the other rich ones. Where I get all sorts of insults hurled at me for how I act and dress. Where people are willing to be with me in private but pretend like they don't know me once other people are around. I guess the good thing here is at least I got a solitary room at the end of the dorm so I don't have to deal with a roommate.

There's a little secret to me though. I was no stranger to borrowing people's clothes, and a little before I got sent here I found out that I can pretend to be those people. People whose clothes I'm wearing, I mean. It's like acting in a way - just...pretend like you're the person you're dressed up as and everyone seems to think it's true. And boy did I have some fun with it.

You see, the thing about having this power is...you start to notice how other people live their lives. How they have these good parts they can get bored of. How they seem to miss the obvious solutions to a "problem" in their life. And I started thinking: why not try out those parts when they aren't around? Why not help people who need it? All I need is their clothes. So sometimes, when things get real lovely I just leave my current life and borrow someone else's.

Just for a little while.

quote:

Look: Exuberant, flirty eyes

Origin: Miracle baby

Stats

Hot 2, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark -1

Moves:

Feathers

You can magically pass as the person whose clothes youre wearing. When youre seen in someone elses clothes but arent yet passing, roll with Hot. On a 7 or higher, youre passing as them. Youd fool their mother and their
favorite hookup. But on a 7-9, also choose one of these:
The magic will dissipate if you kiss or get kissed.
The magic will dissipate if you Lash Out at anyone.
While youre passing, give Conditions you receive to the person youre passing as instead. Anyone who takes Feathers also gets Feathers Made of Knives.

Feathers Made of Knives

Your shape-change magic protects you. When someone is suspicious of your identity while youre passing, they choose a reaction:
I grab your clothes, which tear and reveal your identity, but I somehow get cut by the tatters and take 1 Harm.
I ignore my suspicion. My mind is playing tricks on me.

That Good

While youre passing, if anyone would gain a String on you, they instead gain it on the person youre passing as.

Sex Move

Once youve had sex with someone, add 1 to your rolls for passing as them.

Darkest Self

Somebody is a hack at playing themselves in their own life. It grates on you. Its time for you, the understudy, to take their place on the stage. After all, youre so much better at being them than they are. So replace them, using whatever means necessary. You escape your Darkest Self when something they do surprises you, or someone else shows a genuine care for them, or you succeed.

Your Backstory

Youve stolen an outfit from someone. Gain a String on them.

Someone gave you an outfit so that you could impersonate them. You each gain a String on one another.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 18, 2018

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
The Girl in the Snow: Shane, the Ghost

Yesssss, I know Im wearing a big hat and scarf and sweater when its like 75 degrees out! Its just my thing ok? I dont like the cold. I dont like being cold, so I bundle up. Its not like you care anyways, no one cares.

look, Im sorry for snapping at you. I know you didnt mean anything by it. Its just that its the middle of October which means the first snow of the year is only a few weeks away. Which is better than it used to be, so thanks global warming I guess?

Do you have any idea how old I am, you simpering lackwit?! When my family moved here, it wasnt even part of the United States! Just a forest full of natives and bears! So Im sorry I didnt know what a venmo was off-hand! Do you know how to spin your own thread?

no, no Im the one that should be sorry. I kinda bit your head off, and I shouldnt have. Its just that the AC is on pretty high in here, and Im a little cold. I died in the cold, have I ever told you that? I cant remember it well, but it was a bad winter. Came early and kept going. And then the elders came and blindfolded me and took me out into the forest. *points out window* right over there, funnily enough. But the forest was alot bigger back then, and I couldnt find my way out before I died. Winter broke the next week, so maybe the elders knew something after all.

But enough about my silly problems, how are you and Steve doing?

quote:

Name: ???/Shane Doe
Look: out-of-place, piercing eyes
Origin: left to die
Stats:
Hot -1
Cold -1
Volatile 1
Dark 2

Moves:
Unresolved Trauma: Whenever something brings to mind your death, you choke up and gain the Condition traumatized if you dont have it already. Whenever someone helps you resolve this Condition, you both mark experience

Transference: Whenever you spend time truly listening to someone elses struggles, they heal 1 Harm, and then transfer their remaining harm to you.

Limitless: You can walk through walls and fly.

Darkest Self:
You become invisible. No one can see you, feel you, or hear your voice. You can still affect inanimate objects, but this is your only avenue of communication. You escape your Darkest Self when someone acknowledges your presence, and demonstrates how much they want you around.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, you both get to ask a question of one another. This can be asked in character or player-to-player. They must answer honestly and directly.

Your Backstory
Someone knows that youre dead and how you died. They gain 2 Strings on you.

Youve been inside someones bedroom while they were sleeping. Take a String on them.

Strings:
TBD

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 18, 2018

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Gone, but not Forgotten: Kate, the Ghoul

I was supposed to be goddamn inspirational.

I was supposed to beat it, go on to do great things. I wasn't supposed to die in a hospital bed, hairless, and vomiting. We did everything right. Dad researched the best doctors. Mom paid them. We did the healing circles and the chemo and the herbal teas and the loving pot gummies smuggled from Denver. None of it mattered.

Then, I woke up. Never figured out who the hell Mom paid to do what, but I came back. Healthy. Strong. Hungry.

...I think I scared them, honestly. Got shipped off to this school. Best of the best and all that. I got billed as the miracle girl, who beat the odds. Too bad I cheated. I don't belong here. I don't belong anywhere. Tried to put things back the way they should be with a shotgun. Didn't matter.

Death has been my best friend since I was 6. Now he's turned his back on me, and nothing is going to stop me from having some fun.

quote:

Name: Kate McNamera
Look:
Gaunt, Stiff
Eyes: Hollow Eyes
Origin: Resurrected

Stats:
Hot -1
Cold 1
Volatile 2
Dark -1

Moves:

The Hunger
You have a hunger for: fear, power, plunder, thrills.

When you heedlessly pursue a Hunger, add 1 to rolls. When you ignore a promised feeding opportunity, roll to Keep Your Cool.

Short Rest for the Wicked

When you die, wait it out. A few hours later, you wake up fully healed.

Ending

You remember every detail of your death. When you tell someone about it, give them the Condition morbid and roll to Turn Them On with Cold.

Darkest Self
Your dull hunger sharpens. You cant focus on anything else but feeding. And in addition to your peculiar cravings, you recognize something else. That primordial hunger which connects all hungers. Flesh, blood, meat. You escape your Darkest Self once youve overindulged, or youve been locked out for long enough to regain composure.

Sex move

When you have sex with someone, create a new Hunger.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Questions are up for people.

Kate the Ghoul

Who made the mistake of pitying you at this school and what did you do that showed them you're not that fragile?

What's the one subject you've found you excel at these days?

So you're a thrill seeker right? What's the stupidest thing you've done in the name of fun?

Shane the Ghost

Why are you even here? You're dead aren't you? there's surely better things you could be doing with your time than hanging around a school.

Someone here really reminds you of one of the people you knew when you were alive. Who is it and what do they do that reminds you of the person you used to know?

Whats the one part of modern life you adore?

Jay the Cuckoo

Who was the last person who's life you "interfered with" and what did you do to make things better for then?

Where do you go when you want to be yourself?

What happened to your former roommate anyway? I never did get the whole story there.

Marielle the Witch

Who here really deserves to have you pull out the big guns? And why haven't you given them exactly what they deserve?

Which bit of witchcraft have you been unable to get to work no matter how hard you try?

How did you use your magic to get you into this school anyway?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Hotblooded Hothead, Alexis, the Werewolf

Look, it's not like I meant to get kicked out of my last school. It's just, you know...sometimes people make me angry. Apparently they didn't like me when I'm angry. They're lucky that kid only had his arms broken, given what he did to my friend, but who's gonna get listened to? The girl or the boy? I bet you already know the answer to that question.

This Robert Eddington guy wants to make me an example of someone who gets pulled off "the streets" and makes something of themself. That dick. I'm from the suburbs. My parents work in office buildings. I played soccer and racked up scout badges as a kid. Just cuz I'm brown skinned and have wolf's blood doesn't make me "urban" or whatever. Jackass.

Oh yeah, there's that. My family might live in suburbia, but we also run free on four legs through the forests when the moon shines full.

My parents are so thrilled, it's disgusting. They both have college degrees, so it's not like I'm achieving anything new here. I have to admit, though, if this place is as well outfitted as they say it is, it might be an upgrade over the last couple of public schools. The pictures of the gym and the ball fields look really nice. Plus, I got super into computer science two semesters back, but then the teacher retired and they retired the whole program. Maybe there is a benefit to private education.

The dorms, though...ugh. I went to soccer camp last summer, and if this is anything like soccer camp, I might run to the woods and never come back.

quote:

Name: Alexis Hernandez
Look: Wiry
Eyes: Fierce eyes
Origin: Ancestral power

Stats:
Hot 1
Cold -1
Volatile 2
Dark -1

Moves:
Spirit Armour
When basked in moonlight, any harm that you suffer is reduced by 1, and you add 2 to all rolls to Keep Your Cool.

Primal Dominance
When you harm someone, take a String on them.

Your Backstory:
You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

Youve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Gain two Strings on them.

Darkest Self:
You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, you establish a deep spiritual connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection (by having sex with someone else) add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that connection has been broken.

Dirt Road Junglist fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 18, 2018

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

Kate the Ghoul

Who made the mistake of pitying you at this school and what did you do that showed them you're not that fragile?

Like, the 3rd day here, usual pecking order bullshit was happening. I know this school is "elite" and whatever, but it happens everywhere. When you're the sick one, it's like being in the mob. You're protected. You see this stuff happen, but you're never part of it. This was totes new to me.

Some pretty blonde chick, you know the one, with the perfect hair and the perfect nose? Actually named Becky. Hand on my heart, swear to god. BECKY. Yeah, Becky was actually stupid enough to comment on my buzz cut. I almost just decked her. I wanted to tear out her hair and feed it to her. But I can't get kicked out, not after everything Mom and Dad did for me.

Some punk rock chick started to defend me, but I cut her off. I don't need a protector anymore. I started into the sad story, the crying on command, got close to her. As soon as she started to apologize, I got my foot behind her ankle and pushed. She went down like a sack of potatoes, I put my knee to her chest and just went OFF on her.

Okay, the bit where I threatened to cut her open and rip her beating heart out of her chest if she ever looked at me again might have been overkill. But, nobody has said word one about my hair since.

quote:

What's the one subject you've found you excel at these days?

Creative writing was a blast, but Mr. Byron thinks my work is "too dark". Write what you know, he said. Well, I did. Whatever, gently caress that guy. Now I just write about happy dreams I used to have. They're so... benign (see what I did there?), but I'm acing the class.

I never thought I'd say it, but PE has been great. I never really got to do it before. Turns out, I'm fast. I'm strong. Low body weight, high muscle mass means I can climb like it's nobody's business. People underestimate me in dodgeball, being tiny and all. Every week there's something I new, something I couldn't do before, some challenge to overcome.

quote:

So you're a thrill seeker right? What's the stupidest thing you've done in the name of fun?

Before? I think the most exciting thing I did was take my seatbelt off.

After the shotgun incident, I kinda lost myself for a minute. Died in a bunch of interesting ways. Skydiving was super fun. You get more bang for you buck if you don't pull the chute.

The stupidest, though? Stealing that Tesla Roadster with Anne. I got dragged to some fundraiser. Anne always came with me to those before I got better. My bodyguard, my chaperone, my butler all in one. Why wouldn't she come, even if I wasn't sick?

I didn't put a SCRATCH on the car. Mom paid the guy a couple gs not to press charges, whatever. But, Anne... I mean, I was having a hard time with the whole "Not actively dying" bit, I just... I mean... gently caress.

Here's the thing you have to understand about Anne. She's been my friend for a decade. But when you're friends with the dying kid, it's easy to be the brave one. Even when we were being bitches to each other, all anybody else saw was that she was so tough, hanging out with the cancer girl, bringing me homework and notes when I was in chemo. And, to be fair, it was tough. She had to put up with me crying and moaning and loving DYING.

After, though? I didn't think I needed her anymore. I mean, like... I didn't need her. But I didn't think if she needed me. I really, truly scared her, racing down the freeway at 180, dodging semis and motor homes and just SMOKING this old dude in a Bugatti.

She wouldn't return my texts for almost a month. I didn't even get a chance to really fix it before getting shipped off here.

Oh, I also once spent like a DAY trying to get eaten by sharks. Do you know how hard it is to find a shark in the ocean, nevermind get them to attack you? Shark Week is a lie.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Ferrosol posted:

Shane the Ghost

Why are you even here? You're dead aren't you? there's surely better things you could be doing with your time than hanging around a school.

Oh, of course! I could just leave! Why didn't I think of that at some point in the last 200-plus years?

... sorry about that, its jut so frustrating some times. Whatever the village elders did to me, I'm bound to the forest. The old boundaries at least, so now that you've cut most of it down I get to see civilization. And you have to remember, I died a teenager in a frontier village in 17-*mumblemumble*. I've never been to school before! And as weird as modern high-schools are, it beats staring at a tree, waiting for the Second Coming or Ragnarok or whatever to cut me loose from my bonds.

Ferrosol posted:

Someone here really reminds you of one of the people you knew when you were alive. Who is it and what do they do that reminds you of the person you used to know?
There's one of the adults. She's not a teacher, I think she works in the admin wing or something. Vice Chancellor or some something like that.

I swear she's the spitting image of Elder Van... Something's wife. The way she moves, and talks (not like in olde-speak, but her voice and cadence and stuff), the way she always knows where I am. Most people don't notice me when I'm trying to be seen, but even if I'm blending in, she's looking at me with that same 'oh you wicked childe'-look Madam Van Crapnugget used to use.

Ferrosol posted:

Whats the one part of modern life you adore?
Telecommunication technology, for sure. I'm not always 'awake', but even only being active for a few years at a time gets really boring in the middle of the woods. First some hunters built cabins out here, and I'd watch from the windows as they'd drink and sing and... do stuff. And then someone left an old transistor radio behind and there was music whenever I could steal batteries. And even before the school went up, there was the construction crew with their smartphones and portable TVs. So many things to listen to, so many people to watch. So many distractions from the coming winter and my eternal... whatever this is.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
A Weed in the Garden: Ulysses, the Fae

They've got a name for people like me. Recidivist! Repeat Offender! Not pretty, is it?

Good thing I don't get caught.

You see, a lot of people think they have Eddington's figured out. But they don't. It's an ugly mishmash of rich kids and poor kids, jocks and nerds, suck ups and burnouts. Whoever or whatever dear old Bob feels needs his special brand of education. You know, the "traditional" kind. Where you get sequestered in a big building with a bunch of other folks your age going through their own hurricane of zits and boners and hair in funny places and told to stay out of trouble a lot.

There are two tricks.

1) Find your happy place.

And I'm not talking about, like, a hobby or some dumb poo poo like that. I mean an actual place.

For me it's... Okay, this is going to sound... whatever. The southwest corner of the greenhouse. You're teeeechnically still on the grounds, so whatever stupid promises you made to, for example, "try to be good" or "not run away again" are all totally on the up and up. Plus there's this great view of the forest that backs up against the property and no matter how much I try to resist I still can't help but to... maybe...

2) Find your happy place.

No. It's not redundant. You're redundant.

Say you were... not the worst. Or the best. You were just kind of... there. And because you were just kind of there, you got bored and acted out until your parents found excuses for you to not be there anymore. Like a prestigious boarding academy. And at that boarding academy you found out that maybe you weren't the only person who saw the world a little different. Who had a similarly "tenuous grasp on reality." You'd probably cling to those people. And you'd be right to.

All in all? I dunno, it's fine. Could go for a little more excitement, but...

quote:

Name: Ulysses Bottom

Look: Gaunt
Eyes: Quick Eyes

Origin: Fae Blooded

You wear your heart on your sleeve. Give everyone 1 String.

You've captured someone's fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Hot: 2
Cold: -1
Volatile: -1
Dark: 1

Faery Contract: If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you, take a String on them. When spending a String to even out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add these options:

1) they gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment
2) add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance
3) they suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not

Guide: If you spend a String on someone willing, you can bring them across the veil, into the faery realm. The spell lasts for a scene or two, before youre both returned to the mundane world.

Darkest Self: Everything you say is a promise. Everything you hear is a promise. If a promise is broken, justice must be wrought in blood. To escape your Darkest Self, you must in some way re-balance the scales of justice.

Sex Move: When you lie naked with another, you can ask them for a promise. If they refuse, take 2 Strings on them.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 19, 2018

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
One Punky Motherfucker: Leo, the Infernal

Sometimes I can't tell what he thinks of me. And that's what scares me the most.

Am I food? A customer? A tool?

I can't tell.

He was nice at first-a test answer here, a little secret there. No strings attached. I asked if he needed to be repaid.

"Not right now. Debts are paid at the right time and in the right place."

If I was smarter back then, I would have never ever talked to him again.

I was afraid of him biting me in the rear end. So I made myself as unappealing as possible. Tattoos. Raggedy, punk clothing. Marilyn Manson and Ozzie Osborne and KISS and everything kids my age weren't supposed to listen too or get or watch or read or wear.

It stuck. People saw me as a freak, and ignored me. But it wasn't enough.

Asmodeus stuck around. And, I'll admit, I got a little... greedy after that. Turns out being an outcast isn't something you can change on a dime, and it turned out I actually kind of like this stuff.

So... a deal here and there was made.

And now, I'm stuck here because of a few tests that I 'aced'.

Whoop-de-loving-do.

quote:

Name: Leo Capotano
Look: Venomous
Eyes: Piercing eyes
Origin: Chosen

Hot: 1
Cold: -1
Volatile: -1
Dark: 2

 Soul Debt
You owe a debt to a Dark Power. Name it, and choose two Bargains it has made with you. The Dark Power can gain Strings. If ever it has 5 Strings on you, trigger your Darkest Self.

 Uncanny Voices
You can give the Dark Power a String in order to realize a secret about someone youre talking to. The owner of that character will reveal one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose which.)

 Strings Attached
You can ask the Dark Power for something that you really, really want. The MC will attach a price to the thing you want, and hint at an undesired twist in its nature. If you pay the price, youll get what youre after.

 Dark Recruiter
When you bring an innocent soul to the Dark Power, mark experience.

Sex Move: When you have sex, the Dark Power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 19, 2018

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
interest, maybe a Chosen?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

More questions!

Misty the Selkie

What do you miss the most from your time at home?

Someone here is really funny aren't they? Who are they and what do they keep doing that makes you laugh?

What subject do you find you struggle the most with here?

Alexis the Werewolf

So who is your biggest rival on the soccer team here? What do you think of them?

How do you plan to handle the whole turning furry in moonlight thing? Or do werewolves only work like that in Hollywood?

Which of the teachers here do you actually respect? What did they do to earn it?

Ulysses the Fae

Why is keeping your promises so important to you?

Who do you keep getting into trouble with?

What was the last thing you did to generate a little excitement? Did it work?

Leo the Infernal

What's the biggest thing you've asked Asomedus for? What favour did he ask you for in exchange?

Who here seems to be fascinated by you despite (because of?) your outcast attitude? What does Asmodeus think of them?

What was the last thing you achieved on your own without any help?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Herald of the Inexorable Tide: Minerva Nullautinas, the Hollow

Hello! I am Minerva. Ah yes I am, overjoyed, at the opportunity presented by attending the Eddington Academy! I, look forward, to pursuing mechanical engineering... I dream, of one day designing superior prosthetic for those less fortunate than myself. Truly there is no higher calling than philanthropy. Following Eddington's example, as we all should, I will use this opportunity to give back to others with the power of technology.

Ah yes! Mr. Eddington has had a powerful effect on my life I assure you. Hmm? You wanted to say something?

COMMAND ACCEPTED CLEARANCE GRANTED

What was I saying? Oh yeah, something with Eddington. Well you know what they say. The trick to investing is diversifying. He's got a lot of eggs in a lot of baskets. I uh, can't tell you about most of it...

COMMAND ACCEPTED CLEARANCE GRANTED

Oh, administrator, sorry are you new to the project? I swear it feels like a new face every month. Did Bob fire the last one or drive him to quit? Micromanage enough to take credit but hands off enough to let the project crash and burn far away if it doesn't work out. I'm not sure which of us has the worse of it with him.

Yes, yes. I literally can't forget the objectives. Priority one, blend in. Become a model student which showcases the efficiency of the school program. After becoming a productive member of society reveal my true nature as a successful android.

The mark 3 synthetic skin is much more convenient. So I'm not feeling bad about prime directive anymore. Hmm? Oh yes, I give each of the objectives a 95.31, 78.94, and 55.01 percent chances of success respectively. Oh the last one? Have you seen the job market? Even if I'm set for a position in one of Eddington's companies he's on what, his third? That's a solid coin flip.

That reminds me. These security controls are a bit tight. I don't see how my opinion of Bob and his business have a clearance level assigned to them. If anything that's going to be what's suspicious. They interfere with my processing I might come off as some weirdo. I don't know maybe that will make me fit in...

Yes I know that my brain isn't processors. I know the difference between artificial intelligence and artificial mind! I was there when they made the first one! *gestures wildly at self*

Look, I can handle basic maintenance. There's a secure email I can report in with. I'll see you next month.

COMMAND ACCEPTED CLEARANCE RESET

Huh, wha- Oh! Hello! Maintenance? I think they needed you in lab three. Okay, bye!

Ugh. Another STEMlord I'm supposed to oversee me becoming normal. I'm so screwed...

quote:

Name: Minerva Nullautinas
Look: immaculate
Eyes: Wide
Origin: Machine

Hot 1 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark +2

Fake: add +1 to rolls made while lying

Try Harder Next Time: When you screw up, give yourself an appropriate Condition and take 1 Forward.

Your Backstory
Youve been taking your social
cues from someone, and doing so
has taught you a lot about them.
Gain 2 Strings on them.
Someones seen through your
invented past, and realized its all
lies. They gain 2 Strings on you.

Darkest Self
Your body is a prison. You dont
belong inside of it. You need to
put it in harms way, and make
it suffer, just like its made you
suffer. Theres got to be a way to
cut yourself out of it. You need to
meet your makers, and hold them
accountable for what theyve
done to you. To escape your
Darkest Self, you must come to
see how someone else feels more
trapped than you do.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, both players secretly
write down whether the sex was confusing or soothing
for their character. If you reveal the same answer, both
characters mark experience.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ferrosol posted:

So who is your biggest rival on the soccer team here? What do you think of them?

That one girl with the short blonde hair...Becky? No, that's not it. Katie, I think. She keeps talking about plays this and formations that, like she's sooo special because she spent summer vacation in Spain or whatever. Cool, that's great for you. Some of us actually try to play the sport instead of talk about it. There's no way she out-hustles me. No. Way.

Ferrosol posted:

How do you plan to handle the whole turning furry in moonlight thing? Or do werewolves only work like that in Hollywood?

I can keep it under wraps for a while, but it's a good thing there's a forest nearby in case I have to go for a run. I get, uh, kinda itchy, under my skin. It's not the worst, but it's not that fun, and it gets worse the longer I go without a full shift. I'll have to poke around and see how strong the security systems are here, but worst case, I can shift a little in the shower and wait 'til the holiday break to go for a run. I mean...I think I can wait that long. Never tried it before. The more I think about it...nah, I'll be good.

I think I'll be good.

I'll totally be good!

Probably? Probably totally good.

Ferrosol posted:

Which of the teachers here do you actually respect? What did they do to earn it?

I was prepared to hate Mrs. Winterburn, but it turns out she's pretty decent. When she called roll for first period English on the first day, I would have sworn she was just another crabby middle-aged white lady with a stick up her rear end, but she actually cracked a smile when I made a Hamlet joke under my breath instead of telling me to shut up. I mean, I know that doesn't sound like much, but I'm real used to getting told off by teachers. Plus she has a sticker that says, "Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History" stuck to her desk, and that seems like a good sign.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

Marielle the Witch

Who here really deserves to have you pull out the big guns? And why haven't you given them exactly what they deserve?

Well, yeah, there's a few. Most of 'em are easy enough to ignore, but for whatever reason Mr. Van Dyne, the three-time gold medalist they've got running the Phys Ed program, really has it out for me. One of those guys with "traditional values," I guess, which probably just means he's hating my aesthetic. So that's the who, but the why? That's a little more complicated. Sit yourself down and I'll run you through Witchy Metaphysics 101. Or... well, at least how I'm pretty sure it works. Actual legit info is hard to come by in this biz, so I'm pretty much just making it up as I go.

So there's this concept called Sympathy, right? Not like the human feeling thing, but like... how close two things are. When I was getting started, everything I read was really big on the concept. So most of the time, you want something that means a lot to the person you're trying to hex or whatever. Like, say, one of Van Dyne's medals. Which he keeps locked, securely, in a display case in his office. Not that I've thought about it or anything. Heh. Well, anyways, things can get dicey if you don't have that connection. You tweak the energy flows the wrong way, don't have anything to bleed them off into, and you're stuck with whatever you were going to give them and more besides. It's a bad scene... theoretically, anyway. I haven't run into that myself, not that I'm flinging hexes around all over the place.

I mean, hell, my other option is just doing it to his face. Can you imagine how that'd go over? I'd have to get all spooky and poo poo, count on proximity satisfying the sympathetic requirements, and I'd probably get kicked out of school for my trouble.

Ferrosol posted:

Which bit of witchcraft have you been unable to get to work no matter how hard you try?

Uh, well. You know how you always hear stories of love potions? I mean, okay, maybe I dabbled a bit and tried to whip one up and when I slipped it to my crush they ended up puking for like... seven hours? Thank everything that matters that business is on the other side of the country. God, it was so gross. Nothing like that to put a crush on ice. So... I guess "love stuff" as a whole would be my one weakness. Witchcraft-wise, anyways. I'm totally fine and normal and capable of landing someone on my own. If I wanted to. Probably.

A love potion would be really convenient is all.

Ferrosol posted:

How did you use your magic to get you into this school anyway?

If I was forced to put a name on it, I'd call it an even split between a surprisingly killer essay, a benevolent admissions team, and just shooting enough good energy into the universe that I finally got some good luck. But, yeah, like I mentioned, I did the full deal. I gathered a bunch of crystals and plants and stuff to set up an altar. I burned some herbs to cleanse the area. Mom thought I was smoking pot, but whatever. Never mix business and pleasure when it comes to witching: there's time for a bowl after the ritual is complete. There's a lot of steps, so I'm going to gloss a bit, but let's just say that if I was getting graded on the ritual I'd have gotten full marks.

Anyways, once all the set-up and pleasantries were out of the way, I guided all the energy that I'd raised into my essay. It sounds silly when I say it like that, but that's what I did. I gave it a reread after, just to see if anything had changed, and... I don't think so? I mean, it was still the same wording and the same stories, but they definitely seemed more meaningful. Apparently the admissions team agreed. During orientation, every one of them came up to mention how much that essay had meant to them. It was a little weird, to be honest. They each had kind of... I don't know, projected everything they wanted from it onto what I wrote. One of them told me how it was such a stunning tale of triumph over adversity I mean, yeah, my freshman year football team did go to state, but... and another pointed to that same story as some sort of evidence that I had "true grit."

I mean, cool, I guess. I'm in. Still not sure how or why or if I even really did anything, but it's what happens in the end that counts, right?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ferrosol posted:

Who was the last person who's life you "interfered with" and what did you do to make things better for then?

Carolina Dean is a pretty good person, we hung out for a while. She talked about some boys but never anything serious. Until she met Leonard Noel that is. Then she would ask me if I've noticed him being with any other girls all casual like, trying to get me to get him to talk to her, and then stuttering and failing to do anything when he was there. And he liked her back, I could tell. So here were two people who liked each other and all they had to do was just ASK. It's the easiest thing to solve but for some bizarre reason Carolina could not actually do it and Leonard could not do it and they would just stand there like IDIOTS instead of the obvious solution of "hey I'm fairly popular and you're fairly popular and it's no big deal if we go out but heheh I'll just sit here and awkwardly laugh and stare and then wonder why nothing goes forward and I guess we'll just do this until we graduate and leave school and wonder how we could have POSSIBLY EVER done something different and could there have been something there who could know certainly not the friend forced to watch this stupid charade-"

Hold on. Sorry, I got a little carried away.

Okay so eventually I realized I had to do something and hey, why not repay Carolina? So I got an outfit of hers and managed to meet Leonard. It was between classes so I "accidently" bumped into him and began flirting and I swear his eyes looked like they were going to pop out. I gave a line of "We don't have time, but maybe ask me to hang out later?" and left. And he did. And they hit it off. Real simple, like I said.

They're probably doing well. Carolina doesn't have time to hang out with me anymore, so I'm not sure. Oh well.

Ferrosol posted:

Where do you go when you want to be yourself?

Sometimes when I want to be alone, I go out and walk around the outskirts of this school. It was during one of these walks that I came across a cave nearby. It's kind of hidden in the scenary which is why I think no one else has noticed it. Or at least no one talks about it or has shown up when I'm there. Sometimes I just go there to get high and think about things. Plus my cell phone still gets coverage so it's not like I'm totally on my own.

Ferrosol posted:

What happened to your former roommate anyway? I never did get the whole story there.

Oh...August Sherman. We were roomates, although people gave him poo poo for being in the boys dorms. Technically the school has anti-discrimination policies but good luck getting the rest of the students to follow it. But he tried to get along with everyone else, just ignoring what they said and did to him, ignoring their pranks, their misgendering, their bullying. Until one day he couldn't ignore it and just gave up on going to classes. He stayed in our room until his parents realized it wasn't going to work and took him out.

I hope he's somewhere better now.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A Grim Fable, With An Unhappy End: Victoria Noble, the Chosen

You wanna know how I got these scars?

Hockey accident. No, for real. Took a hi speed shot to the mouth, went down face first into the goal post. Split my lip and forehead wide open, bled like a stuck pig. Blacked out for a bit, should have called it a day and gone to the hospital but...the Eddington scout was there. I needed that scholarship. I wasn't playing for a game, or a season, I was playing for my whole future. So I got the coach to tape my face together, went back out and apparently played the best game of my life, which I have no memory of whatsoever. The scholarship acceptance letter said that I displayed 'conduct becoming of the spirit that we hope to foster in our students' when my Dad read it out to me days later, in hospital. See, I hit my head hard enough to give me a top grade serious concussion and brain bleed that nearly killed me. Doctors said it was a miracle I survived, and doubly a miracle that I escaped without lasting brain damage. Well, that they know about. I haven't told them about seeing monsters or hearing voices yet, and I'm probably not going to. Going back to the neuro ward, or the psych ward, in pretty low on my agenda. I have this rad new school to adapt to, full paid scholarship to enjoy, and my future assured.

If I can avoid killing someone because I think they're a zombie or something.

quote:

Name: Victoria Noble
Look: Buff
Eyes: Disquieting
Origin: Marked by Trauma

Hot 1 Cold -1 Volatile 2 Dark -1

Moves
Take the Blow: When you leap into the way and take the blow instead of someone else, roll with Volatile. On a 10 up, you take the harm instead of them, but reduce it by 1. On a 7-9, you take the harm instead of them.

To The Books: When the chips are down and your enemies seem unbeatable, you can turn to your friends for research help. Doing so counts as Gazing Into the Abyss. Add 1 to your roll for each friend who really dives into the work, even when it gets monotonous. On a 10 up, in addition to other results, the visions show you your enemys secret weakness and you gain a String on them.

Backstory
You have two friends who you rely on for monster-slaying or crime-fighting support. Take a String on each.

Theres someone who knows that youre the Chosen one, and wants you dead. Describe them. The MC will give them a name and two Strings on you.

Darkest Self
None of your friends can help. Theyre not strong like you are. You need to chase down the biggest threat imaginable, immediately and alone. Any challenges or dangers that you encounter must be faced head on, even if they might kill you. You escape your Darkest Self when someone comes to your rescue or you wake up in the hospital, whichever comes first.

Sex Move
When you have sex, heal all of your wounds, and cure all of your Conditions. If they disgust you, give them a String. If you disgust yourself, give them a String.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Victoria the Chosen

What's the weirdest thing you've seen since you took that hockey puck to the face?

What do the voices you're hearing keep asking you to do? Have you done it yet?

What do you want to do with your future?

Minerva the Hollow

What unauthorised alteration did you make to yourself without telling anyone?

Who keeps coming to you for help with their schoolwork? Why do you keep helping them?

If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Ferrosol posted:

Why is keeping your promises so important to you?

Because they didn't used to be.

Is that...?

Sigh.

When I was young, my dad and I would go on hikes. He loved teaching me the differences between a birch and an alder ("It's mostly the bark!") or how to know which warbler(s) you were hearing. At the time, I just liked being out in the woods with my dad. Until my mom put a stop it. She was worried I might "get lost" as she put it. But there was always some edge to her voice that makes me wonder in hindsight if she didn't mean "get abducted." I never got the chance to ask her honestly.

I do remember sitting with her.

She would tell me, when she had the strength, about "debts she hadn't paid" or "declarations" she'd "neglected" and I couldn't really make heads or tails of it at the time, but I think maybe she was... warning me? Not in a stupid slasher movie kind of way. Like a...

Anyway.

I'm trying to be good. And I'm not going to run away.

Ferrosol posted:

Who do you keep getting into trouble with?

Oh, you know. You get sent out to the hall by a teacher for being a disruption. You get sent to the principal by the janitor before the teacher can do it for wandering around aimlessly because being in the hall is somehow even more boring than being in class. The receptionist sends you to the vice principal, who is somehow worse than the principal, because the principal is getting a little tired of these visits, especially with you being so new here, and for the last time where exactly did you get that scuba tank from anyway? Which leads to trouble at home because you're not taking this school seriously either and so on and so forth and it's all just a big bowl of who could possibly care less.

Eddington's teachers? They can stand up for themselves. Mostly. And I can respect that. To a degree. But there's a lot of shady poo poo that goes down here, and I still can't tell if it's ignorance or apathy. Either way? Props.

Ferrosol posted:

What was the last thing you did to generate a little excitement? Did it work?

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the (highly successful) grease trap incident.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 20, 2018

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!

quote:

What's the biggest thing you've asked Asmodeus for? What favour did he ask you for in exchange?

...story time.

I was in 8th grade, shortly before I became a punk, and the school dance was coming up. I was getting pressure some from ex-friends for not having a date. So, out of desperation, I asked Asmodeus if he could make a girl interested in me. I wasn't asking for like, the most popular girl in school at the time, just someone that wasn't like, a weirdo.

I ended up having my date with Tania West, a tomboyish girl on the girl's softball team. We actually hit it off somewhat well.

After the dance, however, Asmodeus asked me for a favor.

He wanted me to go into the office in my school at nighttime, and check a few student's files. He walked me through it-breaking the lock, the passwords I needed, etc.

It seemed to me he was checking on the files of some delinquent kids.

quote:

Who here seems to be fascinated by you despite (because of?) your outcast attitude? What does Asmodeus think of them?

Halley, that nerdy girl. It's like she sees through it all. She seems to see me as some sort of pet project. She keeps giving me stuff like flowers or cologne and notes saying that I could be a lot more attractive if I tried.

Asmodeus seems a little suspicious of her, but only a little bit.

quote:

What was the last thing you achieved on your own without any help?

That would be... calling out Kyle on his bullying poo poo. I didn't need any secret, I just spat words out at him, calling him out long enough for a teacher to break us up. It was so worth it, though.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Ferrosol posted:

Minerva the Hollow

What unauthorized alteration did you make to yourself without telling anyone?

Who keeps coming to you for help with their schoolwork? Why do you keep helping them?

If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?

Ah yes, well my objective to be an achieving student has instilled a more broad general desire to improve. I theorize as much. However social functionality is very thorough. Well, the hardware. For example my hair's length and color may be altered without dyes or cutting. Although if I desire great lengths I will require more hair installed. So, with all the functionality for my primary objectives covered by my creators, perhaps much more than necessary, my whimsy compelled me to enhance my abilities beyond social interactions. I started with over tuning my physical abilities. It was simple enough. But it's not like I'm starting fights so that wasn't a relevant upgrade. I desired something that I would get some mileage out of. The anemic sports program of this school is offset by the bloated tech programs. So I installed some devices I could interface machines with. Bluetooth, wifi signals, anything you'd typically see. Practically it lets me use phones remotely. If I focus I can read the feed from a machine. So I can eavesdrop on phones as well. I typically don't monitor peoples' internet activity however. I can experience my inane social media feed. There isn't much I can gleam from such skulduggery that I can actually use. Unless I need to seduce someone with very specific tastes for some reason. I guess that upgrade was a wash too. I need to think of another tweak that will feel worth my time.

James is a nuisance. He is a spoiled fool who leans on others. He is attending entirely because his parents. Though in a sense that is true of me as well. He has not taking a particular interest in any subject and thus lags behind in them all. His upbringing has trained him to seek getting bailed out by others. I play along because I get something from the arrangement as well. I am to appear as a model student. By helping others my academic aptitude is advertised. Unfortunately he has his own theory. He thinks I like him. You know, basic niceties is flirting right? I posted in his r/relationships thread to try to set him straight. I don't know if it took. Maybe I'll try to wingman for him. I don't know he seems kind of hopeless. I don't want him to blow up after turning him down. That sounds... tedious. More so than putting up with him.

I know it's trite reason but Brazil, it's just teeming with life. This google campus school and the lab I was developed in is all so, sterile. It feels so fake. Even as a simulacrum the tech office culture feels shockingly artificial to me. I'm not sure if the people in charge of my project will even know when I've learned to socially integrate. They sure as hell don't have real friends. Though I guess Brazil is a bad idea these days. Not that the favelas or the amazon was ever a safe jaunt for tourists. A less ambitious goal would be the beach. But honestly that might be impossible too. I think that's what makes it so tantalizing. But I need to make sure no sand or water gets past my skin. And there's no visible seems on my body. It's very human to want to like to look good in a swimsuit.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ferrosol posted:

What's the weirdest thing you've seen since you took that hockey puck to the face?

Hoo boy. The weirdest thing was, or is I guess, on the school ground. You know how the campus is split in two by that narrow river? When I arrived for the first time there was a kind of glow coming from it, like a rainbow or the reflection on an oily puddle. It filled the sky to the horizon and I got the sense that it was keeping something in, or out. I'd swear I saw a pair of eyes briefly, like a snake's eyes that could eclipse the moon. Once I'd signed my admission form I couldn't see it anymore, but knowing it's there makes me feel trapped. The river looks clean, but feels dangerous. I'm not sure if I want to find out what those eyes belong to.

Ferrosol posted:

What do the voices you're hearing keep asking you to do? Have you done it yet?

Kill. That's one of the reasons I don't like to talk about it. And it's only one voice, always the same. Like a machine voice with the bass turned up to unsafe levels, just hollering at me to murder someone because they look different. "SLAY THE BEAST" this and "SUFFER NOT A WITCH TO LIVE" that, it's pretty uncool. I'd just ignore it if it wasn't for the first time, when it saved my life. I was still in hospital, pretending to sleep after a long day when a nurse with a dead persons face tried to choke me with a pillow, and probably would have succeeded if I hadn't heard the Voice say "RISE UP". I managed to reach a dinner tray, and hit him with it in the side of the head. I heard the skull crack and this big dude hit the floor bleeding, and I panicked a bit...stuffed what was now definitely a corpse into the laundry trolley and managed to sneak through the hospital and dump it in the garbage. I never heard anything about it so I guess I got away clean. That's the only time. I don't want to do it again, but if it was self defense or something I probably could. That scares me.

Ferrosol posted:

What do you want to do with your future?

I wanted to maybe go pro for a few years and then get in to sports medicine. There's way better money and a longer career on the service side than as a player. But now...I don't know. What if I have an 'episode' in a game and take someone's head off because I think they're a ghost? I just have to take things one day at a time, I guess.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 21, 2018

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Ferrosol posted:

Misty the Selkie
What do you miss the most from your time at home?

While I don't regret leaving, I kind of miss how simple everything used to be. Back home, you knew what was expected of you, and everyone was honest and direct. Here it is... not so simple. There are so many words that mean other words, and phrases I don't understand, and it's all so confusing! One of your cheer-leaders told me to "beat it" when I tried to make conversation with her, but I had no idea what they wanted me to beat, or why! It was so strange! And besides, I don't want to beat anyone up! That's just not nice! And there's all those etiquettes, too, I have to follow if I want to blend in, but there's so many of them! I can't even remember half of them, and it's so overwhelming! I never know what I have to do during a social situation, so I am just "wingdinging it," as they say.

I, well, I also miss my family. My dad, as grumpy as he could be, still had a good heart, and I loved him. I loved all of my family, and I think about them often. They're all probably worried about me, but, as much as it pained me to leave them, this was something I needed to do, for myself. I did not want to stay in the same place for the rest of my life. I want to experience new things, and be my own person. Maybe one day, I will return to them, but not now. Now it is time for me to live a new, exciting life!

quote:

Someone here is really funny aren't they? Who are they and what do they keep doing that makes you laugh?

Oh, yes! There's this girl I met, her name's Raven! Like the bird, but she doesn't have any feathers! She has the most interesting style, wearing nothing but black clothing, and she has all these shiny rings on her face! Apparently you get those by having your face pierced with holes? Doesn't that hurt? How do they do that? Isn't it uncomfortable to wear so many rings?

...Oh! Sorry! I went a little off the track, didn't I? What were we talking about again?

Ah, right! Raven! We met after that cheer-leader person (I think her name was Ashley?) was being very rude to me, but then Raven stepped in, and said some things to Ashley, and made her so mad her face got all red, and she walked off in a huff! We talked after that, and we're friends now! I think! It's hard to tell. She's very... flat when she speaks, and I can never tell whether she is being serious, or if she is being 'sarcastic,' but she's still so interesting, and the things she says sometimes make me laugh a lot, even if she has to explain what she means most of the time. And you should see what happens when I walk into her 'personal space,' as she calls it, and get really close to her. Her face goes all red, like a tomato, and it looks really funny with all the black she wears.

Everyone seems to think she is a bad person, but I don't see why. She's very nice, and she even invited me to a musical concert, and said I can bring along a 'date' with me! I don't know what a 'date' is, but it sounds exciting!

quote:

What subject do you find you struggle the most with here?

You would think it would be English, but no, the one I am having the most trouble with is your Science classes. I am already struggling the meaning of most of your words, but with science, it's like learning another language. There's soooo many complicated terms I don't understand, it makes my head spin. How do you land-folk learn these things!? And then there are the chemistry classes. We are supposed to be mixing things with other things, but how am I supposed to know which thing I am supposed to mix!? And apparently I am supposed to be avoiding mixing certain things together, and it's all so confusing.

The one time I had chemistry class, I... might have panicked, and mixed certain things I shouldn't have together, and then there was this big explosion, and there was lots of yelling, and fire, and um, I... might not be allowed to use the chemistry lab by myself anymore, hehe. But at least no-one got hurt! And the room is still fine, if you ignore the burn marks! So it's not all that bad!

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

decided to picks now because patience is overrated as a virtue. Congrats to the people who made the cut. Commiserations to the people who didn't. Choices were hard this time.

Victoria Noble, the Chosen Played by thatbastardken
Kate McNamera, the Ghoul played by Relentless
Misty Glyndwr, the Selkie played by Hugzilla
Marielle Hazeldine, The Witch played by Tricky
Jay Robinson, the Cuckoo played by Heliotrope
Minerva Nullautinas, the Hollow played by SHY NUDIST GRRL

code:
[Mr. Byron]

[   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]
pick yourself a spot and sort out backstory strings and then maybe we can get this show on the road.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 22, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Marielle, the Witch

code:
[Mr. Byron]

[   ] [   ] [Marielle] [   ] [   ]
Your Backstory:

quote:

You start the game with two Sympathetic Tokens. Decide whose and what they are.

A few days into the semester, I ended up leaving a scarf around in the dorm's common area and it ended up getting swooped off somewhere. I asked around and it turns out that there's this whole lost and found bin in one of the offices. It's not exactly well-known, I guess, because there's an absolute ton of stuff in there... and they don't exactly ask you to give an itemized list of what you're looking for when you come to rummage through it. Rich people are just kind of like that, I guess!

Long story short, I got a few extras along with my scarf. One's a bottle of nail polish. It's Jay's, which I know because of the name on the bottom of the bottle, but I've stashed it away for later. Never know when you might need a token, right? I also found that necklace that Misty was wearing at the start of the year. No clue how she lost it, but, hey, I guess it's mine now! I might hand them back later, play it like I just found 'em or something if I need a favor, but nothing wrong with keeping my options open, right?

quote:

One of the others caught you rummaging through their friends stuff, but hasnt said anything. They get a String on you.

So when Vicky swooped me and Misty up into her craziness, I took point on figuring out how we could pick up the trail of that missing kid. Who's name... I'm totally spacing on right now. As awful as it is, I guess I'm never going to need to really know it. It was a bad way to go. Real bad. Anyways, I jimmied her locker less impressive than you'd think, you can look how to do that up on YouTube and Minerva chose that moment to come around the corner. We had a bit of a tense chat, but I eventually convinced her to keep quiet. She just made me promise not to go digging in her stuff. Fair, but... c'mon, you know that just makes someone want to do it.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 23, 2018

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Ferrosol posted:

code:
[Mr. Byron]

[   ] [   ] [Minerva] [   ] [   ]
[   ] [   ] [Marielle] [   ] [   ]

Youve been taking your social cues from someone, and doing so has taught you a lot about them. Gain 2 Strings on them.
Misty. Oh sure she's completely clueless but that's actually what I need. I overthink and by getting some of that utter thoughtlessness to rub off on me I believe I can hit that sweet spot of effortless effort. The Wu Wei. One of the techs though the Tao was the key to good business... nevermind.

Someones seen through your invented past, and realized its all lies. They gain 2 Strings on you.
Kate eyes me with suspicion. She spent a lot of time in a hospital. A sterile environment surrounded by over educated adults. Perhaps being developed in the lab I picked up some mannerisms of a chronically ill person she recognizes. Perhaps I'm overthinking this. Maybe she's from the town I'm supposed to be from. They would screw that up. Her enrollment seems, I don't know, unplanned for? I'll have to think of some other story that's the 'truth' I'm hiding just in case.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
code:
[Mr. Byron]

[   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   Jay]
Backgrounds:

quote:

You’ve stolen an outfit from someone. Gain a String on them.

Minerva Nullautinas is either connected to someone important here or outside, the staff here treats her real nicely. She even gets special meals! So I took some clothes from her - its not like theyll do much if they think shes misbehaving.

quote:

Someone gave you an outfit so that you could impersonate them. You each gain a String on one another.

Kate McNamera figured me out when I was pretending to be Mr. Byron. Weirdly she seems fine with it. She just wants me to give her alibis (super easy), plus its not suspicious if people see her punching someone. Works for me.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 24, 2018

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

code:
[Mr. Byron]

[   ] [   ] [Marielle] [Kate] [Jay]

quote:

Someone reminded you what
love was, when you thought that
death had stolen it away from
you forever. Give them a String.

Victoria is... interesting. She's broken. I can see it from across the room. Not just those gnarly scars, either. But she's so... determined. One day at lunch she was actually flirting with a dude. I had been so... stuck on the "not staying dead" thing I forgot that something like that was an option. Plus, she's kinda cute in a rough n tumble way. It is weird that I don't scar like her, though.

quote:

Did anyone watch you die? If so,
you gain 2 Strings on each other.

Okay, so, I like really had a hard time the first few days. And it's easy to get overly dramatic when you don't stay dead. Romeo and Juliet's entire tragedy would just be a wasted weekend for me.

I climbed onto the roof just to get away and think in the quiet... and one thing lead to another and I flung myself off the roof. While crying. Not my proudest moment. Especially not when I drat near landed on Marielle. I couldn't really see her, but her hair color is... unique. I could see that she was sitting in a freaking pentagram. With candles and a silver dagger and just pulling a full The Craft.

I'm not sure which of us was more embarrassed at breakfast, but I owe a solid for not calling the cops. Or the faculty.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

code:
[Mr. Byron]
[   ] [   ] [Victoria] [   ] [   ]

Relentless posted:

Victoria is... interesting. She's broken. I can see it from across the room. Not just those gnarly scars, either. But she's so... determined. One day at lunch she was actually flirting with a dude. I had been so... stuck on the "not staying dead" thing I forgot that something like that was an option. Plus, she's kinda cute in a rough n tumble way. It is weird that I don't scar like her, though.

Aww, thanks.

quote:

You have two friends who you rely on for monster-slaying or crime-fighting support. Take a String on each.

There was an incident the first week I was here where a student went missing. School admin said they went home, but it seemed odd enough that I looked into it - mostly just following rumors, but it paid off. There was a dead thing playing at life on the campus, imitating one of the facilities workers, and it had taken this kid and...yeah. Anyway, I tracked it down and managed to kill it (for good, I hope), but not alone. The two that helped me were:

Misty, who is almost as lost as I am. She says she's an exchange student but there's something more than that at work. I'm pretty sure she's not entirely human, but she's so...guileless that I can't think of her as dangerous (unless you count that lab accident, or the time she tried to ride a bike). Her being an outsider makes me trust her more, I think. I can go to her for a fresh perspective on some of my...personal issues, and she dosen't think I'm weird for it.

Marielle on the other hand knows way, way too much. About everything, near as I can tell. I don't know how she gets the level of gossip she peddles, but her sources are impeccable and she never seems to get in any trouble for it. Also the confidence she has to stand out with that hair! I might showboat on the field, but I'd never try to draw that kind of attention. I think she's literally magical, she said some words that made the dead guy freeze up completely before I took him out.

Anyway, we worked together on that and I guess we're cool with it. I don't know what about this school draws freaks to it.

quote:

Theres someone who knows that youre the Chosen one, and wants you dead. Describe them. The MC will give them a name and two Strings on you.

An authority figure. Powerful and unaccountable. Capable of mystic acts, but subtle and prone to working through proxies.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 23, 2018

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

code:
[Mr. Byron]
[   ] [ Misty] [Victoria] [   ] [   ]

quote:

You watched someone swimming. Gain a String on them.

Marielle is so cool! She knows a lot about things, and she's got really pretty hair, and did you know she's a really good swimmer? I went out late one night for a quick swim, and I saw her swimming in a nearby lake, and oh my gosh! I've never seen anyone swim as gracefully as her, like those mermaids I hear about in stories! I was so amazed I couldn't take my eyes off of her! Uh, is that weird? I hope that's not weird, but we're friends now, so it can't be that weird! Hey, do you think she'll be my swimming buddy? I'd love to have a swimming buddy! Maybe we'll get Vicky to join us and we can be, like, super swimming buddies!

quote:

Someone stole your pelt, and they've figured out how important it is to you. They said they'll give it back if you do something for them. Each gain a string on one another.

So! Good news! I found my pelt! Bad news! Minerva has it and she won't give it back! I really, really, really want to tell her why it's so important to me, but I can't! And now she wants me to do these strange things for her if I want it back, I think they're called 'pranks?' I don't know what those are, but she wants me to 'prank' certain people for her, and I'm not sure how, but that won't stop me from trying! I need my pelt back, so I'll be the bestest prankener I could be!

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

code:
[Mr. Byron]

[Becky] [Ashley] [Minerva]  [Carolina] [Leonard]
[Brad ] [Misty]  [Victoria] [James]    [Simon]
[Peter] [Raven]  [Marielle] [Kate]     [Jay]
Minevra

What habit does Ashley White have that annoys the hell out of you?

Misty

Brad Grayson came in with a set of bruises the other day. Do you remember what excuses he gave for how he got them?

Becky Walters asked for your help with something weird, What was it and did you help?

Victoria
Peter Morris asked you out on a date a while ago. Did you take him up on the offer? What was his reaction?

Marielle

What did Raven Clearwater ask to borrow from you last week? Did she give it back?

What did you do that pissed off Carolina Green?

Kate

Where does Simon Wallace get the booze he keeps in his locker from?

When James Carsten asked for help with his English homework why did you turn him down? What did he offer to try and get you to change your mind?

Jay

What does Leonard Noel keep in his room that no one but you (and him) know he keeps there?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Ferrosol posted:

Minevra

What habit does Ashley White have that annoys the hell out of you?

Oh my god Ashley does not understand the concept of an in joke. She keeps sharing """funny tweets""" with me and I guess anyone and its the most bizarre nonsense. I've been tracking her timeline to try to make heads or tails of the stuff. Transforming into a corncob skeletons yelling about being a gently caress up. Is any of it actually clever? Or am I supposed to just laugh at the nonsense. I admit that has worked on me once or twice but how vacuous must one be to subscribe to such content?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

code:
[Mr. Byron]

[Becky] [Ashley] [Minerva]  [Carolina] [Leonard]
[Brad ] [Misty]  [Victoria] [James]    [Simon]
[Peter] [Raven]  [Marielle] [Kate]     [Jay]
Kate
Where does Simon Wallace get the booze he keeps in his locker from?

If I didn't know better, I'd say he knows a teleportation spell. It just shows up full again every other day like clockwork.

I know better, I saw him paying one of the night janitors a stack of small bills. I couldn't help but sneak up behind him right after and scare the poo poo out of him. Simon, not the janitor dude. Just sang the chorus! He glares at me when I hum it in class now though.

"Every breath you take, every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I'll be watching you"

But, now he shares a swig whenever I want without question.

quote:

When James Carsten asked for help with his English homework why did you turn him down? What did he offer to try and get you to change your mind?

Well, for one, James is pretty much a dick unless he wants something from you. But more importantly, I know for a fact he got a 97 on his last paper, I saw it on Mr. Byron's desk. Which means what he wanted was to get in my pants. Not that he's bad looking, but don't be loving sneaky about it.

He must think I'm some kind of sap because he offered to pay me in chocolates.

Maybe if they're the special ones from Denver.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

Marielle

What did Raven Clearwater ask to borrow from you last week? Did she give it back?

Raven, huh? Yeah, she's a bit of a borrower. I mean, I am too, so I can't really talk much, but I at least have a secret reason: super good source of sympathetic tokens. I think she's just spacey enough that she forgets she has something of yours the moment you're out of eyeshot. She's been asking about the perfume I use again, it's really not that hard to make your own, it's just a quick Google away and I let her borrow the bottle. It's not a huge deal, I do have a couple I rotate through, but that Lavender & Lime mix is one of my favs and I'm out of those oils right now.

I'd have followed up sooner, but things are kind of crazy with Vicky and Misty right now. Not a lot of brain-space for the little things!

quote:

What did you do that pissed off Carolina Green?

Oh, that's easy. I exist. Good ol' Carol is a super jealous girlfriend and, believe me, it's not like I've done anything special to make her boytoy look my way. He just has excellent taste, I guess, other than getting with Carol.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ferrosol posted:

Peter Morris asked you out on a date a while ago. Did you take him up on the offer? What was his reaction?

I did, actually. He's not exactly my type (he's got long hair, kind of shy, dresses like he's going to a 50s themed party, smells vaguely like incense) but he asked politely and I had the night in question free, so I thought what the hell. Turns out he wasn't expecting a yes, he's just trying to act interested in girls so that his evil twin sister Mary doesn't figure out he's gay and report back to their hyper-religious parents. There's some kind of family trust money on the line that their jackass grandpa's will only releases to people of 'good morals'. He's actually here on a music scholarship - classical string stuff. Anyway, he was kind of surprised that I agreed and didn't have anything planned so we ended up going on a picnic. He played guitar and told me his life story after one (1!) mildly alcoholic ginger beer. I'm not interested in being someone's beard, but he's a genuinely nice guy and I hope things work out for him.

His sister though, holy poo poo. She's here on mom and dad's dime and is so holier-than-thou it makes my skin crawl. She hates Pete so hard you can feel it just from her stare. I don't know if it's the money thing or jealousy or if there's some other gross family secret but that kind of hate is bad news.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Ferrosol posted:

Misty

Brad Grayson came in with a set of bruises the other day. Do you remember what excuses he gave for how he got them?

Yes! I remember! He said he got them fighting a gang of thugs singlehandedly, which is very impressive! But then Raven told me that he was, uh, "full of poo poo," which means he's lying, I think? And then she told me that he got them after he tripped and fell down some stairs, which is... less impressive, but he looked so sad when nobody believe him, and I don't like it when people get sad, so I chose to believe him, even when I really didn't, and that seemed to make him happy!

quote:

Becky Walters asked for your help with something weird, What was it and did you help?

It was all so very strange, and it all happened so fast! I was walking down the hall, when she grabbed me out of nowhere, and dragged me off to somewhere! And then she started talking about this "big emergency" and how I was "the best person to help her out," and before I could ask any questions, she made me wear this very tight top, a very short skirt, and gave me these big, fluffy balls with strings on them. Tom-toms? Pom-poms? I think they were called Pom-poms? Anyways! She made me do these ceremonial dances with her, and after the dances were done, she clasped my hands, and said I was "perfect," and, before I knew it, I became a part of the cheer-leading team.

From what I understand, Becky is the leader of the team, and she was looking for a new member after one of theirs left. I was about to say no, because I already have so many things I need to do, and there's that whole thing with Vicky and Mary, but then she gave me this look, the kind your puppy-dogs give, and I... was unable to say no to her. So! I am now a cheer-leader! Like Becky and Ashley! It is all so very exciting! But also very stressful! But! I am sure I will be able to pull through!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ferrosol posted:

What does Leonard Noel keep in his room that no one but you (and him) know he keeps there?

So its really against school rules and I only found out because I was looking for an outfit of his (just in case), but Leo keeps a knife collection. He has all kinds in a clothes drawer, hidden at the bottom. Switchblade, Bowie, butterfly, pocket knives...If I didnt know him alarm bells would be ringing but hes sort of, uh, a knife nerd? Hes more into the history and aesthetics of them then actually using them so I dont mind keeping it a secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

IC thread is up. Form an orderly queue before entering the thread.

Too cool for school?

• Locked thread