Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Stumbled upon this AV CLUB article

https://www.avclub.com/who-s-your-favorite-coen-brothers-character-1830439153

And it really got me to realize just how many memorable, quotable and indelible characters the Coen Brothers have given us over the years and how much that contributes to making their films so fun and easy to re-watch. I had a hard time narrowing mine down to just three (Walter from Lebowski, Anton Chigurh from No Country and Glen from Raising Arizona) but those are almost too obvious and too easy plus I had to omit so many others I love.

Even minor characters like Chet from Barton Fink, the snow shoveler and Mike from Fargo, and Sam Elliott's cowboy and the strange artist guy in Maude's loft from Lebowski leave their mark and make you remember them.

With the release of their new film on Netflix I figured I'd start a Coen Brother's thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The best Coen Bros character ever is Gale because of the scene where he tunnels up out of the ground from the jail and yells for like 5 minutes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I would have to say Pappy O'Daniel from O Brother, Where art Thou. Charles Durning knocks it out of the loving park with his utter contempt at everyone and everything.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Samovar posted:

I would have to say Pappy O'Daniel from O Brother, Where art Thou. Charles Durning knocks it out of the loving park with his utter contempt at everyone and everything.

O Brother Where Art Thou's political subplot works incredibly well as an allegory for the 2016 general election

Clearly Trump would have lost if he had been successfully baited into calling for the arrest of Bruno Mars on live TV at the Super Bowl 50 halftime show

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
Coen brothers are over rated. they are good writers and have made great movies but they have as many turds as they do good movies. Just like spielberg.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

snergle posted:

Coen brothers are over rated. they are good writers and have made great movies but they have as many turds as they do good movies. Just like spielberg.

Get a load of this wrongness. If anything, they're underrated. At least based on something like commercial success. I find even their weakest films have a lot to offer.

Obligatory "well...that's just like...your opinion, man"

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
All the characters in True Grit. I could watch that film over and over again.

"The jakes is occupied"

"Well Rooster, I'm shot to pieces"

"I need no affidavit"

"I do not know this man".

So on. Every line adds something to what we know of each characters thoughts and feelings. Nothing is out of place and nothing is wasted. The clarity of the picture they want to paint is just incredible.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Samovar posted:

O Brother is my favorite movie so this, but for every line from every character.

WE THOUGHT YOU WAS A TOAD

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Every line of dialogue in Miller's Crossing is perfect, but if you force me to choose then Johnny Caspar. Maybe The Dane.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Is the cliche about the Coen Brothers' movies is that there is a cold-blooded-killer with a gun on the loose and the other characters are just normal-types who interact with him?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

BiggerBoat posted:

Get a load of this wrongness. If anything, they're underrated. At least based on something like commercial success. I find even their weakest films have a lot to offer.

Obligatory "well...that's just like...your opinion, man"

you can only say they are under rated based on profit margins their movies make. they arent trying to make huge block buster movies they are making quirky comedies and character driven dramas which dont tend to be huge box office draws. They always get funding and always get to make a new movie even if their last one was a bomb. they also get lots of awards / nominations. seriously go through their filmography again about 50% are poo poo while the other 50% are great. Its not just one big long run of hits either its very spotty

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
There's one Coen brothers movie I don't like and that is The Ladykillers. Burn After Reading was kinda weak but worked well enough. Some of their movies might be weaker in comparison to their other better movies but if you think any of their movies are "poo poo", then you have really weird standards and your opinion is actually poo poo.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

givepatajob posted:

Every line of dialogue in Miller's Crossing is perfect, but if you force me to choose then Johnny Caspar. Maybe The Dane.

"It ain't elves"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

OrthoTrot posted:

"It ain't elves"

Caspar slapping his young son, then comforting him by saying "Did someone hit you?"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

snergle posted:

you can only say they are under rated based on profit margins their movies make. they arent trying to make huge block buster movies they are making quirky comedies and character driven dramas which dont tend to be huge box office draws. They always get funding and always get to make a new movie even if their last one was a bomb. they also get lots of awards / nominations. seriously go through their filmography again about 50% are poo poo while the other 50% are great. Its not just one big long run of hits either its very spotty

I'd really love to see your list of which movies are poo poo, because I'm not seeing it.

Blood Simple(very good to great)
Raising Arizona(great)
Millers Crossing(very good)
The Hudsucker Proxy(pretty good)
Fargo(masterpiece)
The Big Lebowski(great)
The Man Who Wasn't There(pretty good)
Intolerable Cruelty(ok I'll give you this one is bad)
The Ladykillers(I'll give you this one too, it's pretty bad)
No Country For Old Men(masterpiece)
Burn After Reading(very good)
A Serious Man(very good)
True Grit(very good)
Inside Llewyn Davis(very good)
Hail Caesar!(pretty good, but if you want to count this one, ok)
The new Western thing they just released on Netflix(haven't seen it yet)

So by my count that's 3 substandard films out of 15.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The new one on Netflix is extremely good and has at least three characters who could make the Coen Bros. pantheon in time.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment
Coen bros rule. One of my all-time fave scenes/lines in Raising AZ when they're hosting his dipshit boss (Sam McMurry) and he's talking about adoption and utters "crazy world," to which Hi replies "Someone should sell tickets" and the boss replies "I'd buy one". loving champion.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
My wife and I have not performed the sex act in many years.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Super Waffle posted:

O Brother is my favorite movie so this, but for every line from every character.

WE THOUGHT YOU WAS A TOAD

:chloe:

...DOO NAWT SEEK THE TRAYSURE

Endlessly quotable movie.

For content, I instantly fell in love with Tom Waits' character in the new netflix film, but then, he is Tom Waits. The first story is also Coens as all hell

Barry Foster has a new favorite as of 16:49 on Nov 23, 2018

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Marge and Norm are my favorite on-screen couple, Coen or otherwise

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Too thin Rooster, too thin!

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Basebf555 posted:

So by my count that's 3 substandard films out of 15.

you forgot a few but ill do my own list.

Blood simple: ok
crimewave: bad ( i understand if you want to argue this since raimi helped write and directed.)
raising arizona: great
millers crossing: ok
barton fink: meh
hudsucker proxy: meh
fargo: good
lebowski: good
o brother: good ( i personally dont like it but i understand while others go)
the man who wasnt there: bad
intolerable cruelty: bad ( again there was a third writer but joel directed)
ladykillers: bad ( i actually like this one but i like bad movies)
no country for old men: good
burn after reading: bad
a serious man: meh
true grit: ok
gambit:bad ( they didnt direct)
inside lewis: meh
unbroken: bad ( they didnt direct and had writing help)
bridge of spies: bad ( they didnt direct and had help writing)
hail ceaser: bad
surbicon: bad ( they didnt direct)
buster scruggs: havent seen

now that im writing this out i think the problem isnt the coen brothers but the people they let work with them. so i retract my over rated statement and now demand they put a clause into their contract where noone else is allowed to help write or direct their movies.

snergle has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Nov 23, 2018

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

A Serious Man doesn't get mentioned much. Si Ableman is just a wonderful character. He's so unnervingly nice.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I thought Buster Scruggs was great

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's Ed because Holly Hunter is so good.

I :cry: love :cry: him :cry: so :cry: much :cry:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

a kitten posted:

It's Ed because Holly Hunter is so good.

I :cry: love :cry: him :cry: so :cry: much :cry:

*somber*

"I know ya' do, honey"

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

snergle posted:

barton fink: meh
o brother: good ( i personally dont like it but i understand while others go)
the man who wasnt there: bad
burn after reading: bad
a serious man: meh
inside lewis: meh

Yikes

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Can't say I'm familiar with their work.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

snergle posted:

Your opinions are trash and you should gently caress off

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Everyone should check out "The Ballad of Buster Skruggs". It's a little unevenand slow in spots but has all the cinematography, acting, symbolism, charaterization and dialogue that Coen fans like. It was good.

I keep coming up with more and more supporting/one scene characters that seem to pepper all of their films.

- The taxi cab driver who LOVES The Eagles

- Old man in the bank in Arizona who doesn't know whether to freeze or get down on the ground. Seeing as how, iffen he drops, he's a gonna be in motion. And if he freezes, he can't rightly get down on the ground.

- The hooker in Fargo who gives the helpful description that Buscemi is "kinda funny lookin"

- Old shop owner in NCFOM who "closes now. He closes now" and "needs to know what he's flipping for"

- The nihilist, Flea, in Lebowski who whines that "it's not FAIR!" that they get no money

- Store owner in Raising Arizona who explains that his balloons are only funny if you get a kick out of them being "round"

- H.I.'s cellmate and co-worker who just drone on and on about bullshit; eating crawdads and sand or describing car accidents

- JK Simmons in Burn After Reading who is unsure what they're doing but feels like they should learn from it anyway. The Russian counsalent who stares at a CD and asks "PC or MAC"?

They even made a memorable character out of a loving painting and a cat in "Ladykillers", which everyone seems to hate except for me.

As for main characters, Tommy Lee Jones Sheriff in No Country, Billy Bob Thornton's resigned depressed barber in The Man Who Wasn't There and, now, Tom Waits beaten but persistent prospector in Buster Skruggs

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Watched Buster Skruggs last night; what a roller coaster that was. I'm a fan of modern westerns but I've never been into the classic stuff, but even so I absolutely loved the juxtaposition of Buster and every other character. In fact I loved every single one of the stories, the last one probably being my favorite.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I haven't seen their entire body of work but I watched Intolerable Cruelty at home and enjoyed it :(
What's wrong with it?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

- The taxi cab driver who LOVES The Eagles

i dont think this guy loves the eagles

i think what he hates are drunk bums want to tell him what he can play on his own god damned radio

anyway,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlA9hmrC8DU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Buster Scruggs is one of the most fun characters they’ve done and I wish his part was bigger.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bewilderment posted:

I haven't seen their entire body of work but I watched Intolerable Cruelty at home and enjoyed it :(
What's wrong with it?

It's a decent example of that kind of movie, I just don't like that genre and don't ever really find myself enjoying movies like that. It was such a departure for them that I just have no desire to ever watch it again. It's competently made though, like everything else they've done.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Buster Scruggs is one of the most fun characters they’ve done and I wish his part was bigger.

I loved him too and that was my main criticism of the movie. Not nearly enough time to get to know all of the characters so when a good one came along they were usually gone forever from the film within 10 minutes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Coen Brothers are so good at writing off-beat and memorable minor characters but my favorite is probably this lady from No Country For Old Men.

I love this character, her actress, pretty much everything about how this scene is framed and its story is told in less than a minute of actual screentime. It's so good.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

exquisite tea posted:

The Coen Brothers are so good at writing off-beat and memorable minor characters but my favorite is probably this lady from No Country For Old Men.

I love this character, her actress, pretty much everything about how this scene is framed and its story is told in less than a minute of actual screentime. It's so good.

Hahaha I was watching it a while ago and talking to a friend and talking about how hard this lady was and if it weren't for the person in the bathroom she might have been hosed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UE3jz_O_EM&t=255s

Here's a really good video about the Coens where they use that woman as an example of what you're talking about(around the 4min mark). They use shot-reverse shot a lot, but unlike a lot of directors they use those shots to the fullest extent to give the audience little extra bits about characters who maybe only appear for a single scene. Someone in another thread once linked me to the video, I'd give them credit but I can't remember which thread it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

Yeah "what if Roy Rogers played Will Munny" is a hell of a good concept.