Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This game looks pretty sweet but I'm not crazy about forced "time limits"... I'm hearing that this is a fairly easy game overall but how annoying is the time limit in it? I hated that Dark Avatar Project in XCOM2 cause it was even more stress added onto an already stressful game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Granted, I've only played a handful of missions because my laptop sucks, but the time limit seems pretty generous. And if worse comes to worst, it looks like the doomsday counter is easily edited through the save-file.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Yeah the time limit isnt really a big deal. Its usually only going up about 3% or 4% per mission so you have a solid 20-30 missions in a playthrough which is plenty. Its mostly there so you dont dawdle going into every room in a tomb and (I guess) so you cant do all the missions in a single run.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Coolguye posted:

the first boss is fairly complex because it includes an enemy type that makes the boss's gimmick actually likely to activate and matter, but it's been pretty downhill from there. 9 out of every 10 fights i have are done on the first turn because blitzkrieging the enemy to dust is so insanely good. The power generators that add damage to all attacks are crazy powerful, especially the physical ones. put two generators on an Explorator with the gloves and humble weapons like macrostubbers and the infestus mechadendrites are one hit quitting some pretty hefty haters.

that said, i think a lot of that is fine - 40k combat is SUPPOSED to be swingy, brutal, and unforgiving. capping Cognition Movement to 1 or maybe 2 a turn would go a long, long way to balancing the game and i think that's the first way they should go. being able to burn 3 cognition to run across the entire stage and drop a bomb into a pre-spawned formation before anyone gets a chance to move would make a lot of fights a lot more interesting.

Yeah, I'm seeing what you mean. I haven't come anywhere near losing a Priest, let alone a mission, and I did the first 2 bosses (only ones I've seen) as soon as their "Hard" missions were offered.

One obvious thing I think would help is toning CP availability the gently caress down or making everything cost way more. Between:

-The maps being littered with CP generators that you activate by walking past
-Every priest having a free ability (on a cooldown) to pick them up from a generator anywhere on the map
-Every enemy dropping them on death
-A bunch of skills that reduce CP costs (usually to 0) or generate CP
-You getting ALL of the CP on the map at the end of a fight

It's really hard not to be drowning in the things.

The game would be a lot more interesting if you had to actually carefully ration them between deploying servitors, extra moves, and firing your BFG, instead of doing all three every turn and somehow netting more CP than you started with.

The other thing that seems like an even easier fix would be giving the undead robot killing machines weapons that do more damage than nerf arrows. Even the bosses I've seen do 4-5 damage to a single target, before armor reduction.

Buffing this wouldn't help much if you're sweeping the board on turn 1 anyways, but that's why they need a CP nerf first.

quote:

Yeah the time limit isnt really a big deal. Its usually only going up about 3% or 4% per mission so you have a solid 20-30 missions in a playthrough which is plenty. Its mostly there so you dont dawdle going into every room in a tomb and (I guess) so you cant do all the missions in a single run.

2 things I missed at first about the timer:
-Backtracking over rooms you've already visited doesn't increase it
-Blowing up the "Scan or Destroy" reduces it by 2, and you can Destroy ones you've already Scanned.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 22, 2018

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I found the game to also be wayyyyyyy too easy. There is nothing stopping you from from building every tech priest to be insane murder monsters that get free attacks with major weapons, earn a CP every start of turn, and regen health end of every turn. Give everyone a sword, one of the crazy penetration energy weapons or the good flamer, the generator and pistol to match, and the healing tentacle and just kill everything in 1-3 turns depending on distance. Then kill all the down mobs with 1DMG skulls that have infinite travel range. I think about 90% of the missions/tactical phases I won without letting the enemy take an offensive action, including the last 3 boss missions. The scariest thing in the entire game was losing initative but once I got proper healing from the tentacles/+3 heal skill that didn't even matter. There are several occasions I can think of where my first priest freely walked around the entire map and killed or downed 5-7 mobs by himself.

Interesting game but hopefully they rebalance it, could be great if it felt more challenging.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 22, 2018

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

inscrutable horse posted:

Granted, I've only played a handful of missions because my laptop sucks, but the time limit seems pretty generous. And if worse comes to worst, it looks like the doomsday counter is easily edited through the save-file.

You should be cautious about that, though, because the doomsday counter also regulates what missions are avaiable, so you can deadlock yourself by overdoing it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Scaevola has a goddamn spine collection :stare: I don't think she's on the up-and-up, guys.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 22, 2018

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Your motley crew of weirdos are the best part about the game yeah. It's incredibly easy to break over your knee but the presentation, banter and general atmosphere are super great. That said please let me adjust the camera angles and zoom. I like to see my dudes and the only way to get a more reasonable tilt on the camera is to zoom waaaaay the gently caress in.

Also they've said they're doing a balancing pass once the game is more stable and the major bugs fixed so maybe the game will get harder in a little bit.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I dig the squad of murderous machine-men though. Don't take that away from me.

The writing's real good y'all.

CommissarMega posted:

Scaevola has a goddamn spine collection :stare: I don't think she's on the up-and-up, guys.

Scaevola does nothing wrong.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Magni posted:

You should be cautious about that, though, because the doomsday counter also regulates what missions are avaiable, so you can deadlock yourself by overdoing it.

Personally, I don't really see the attraction in save-editing the doomsday counter, since it's already pretty generous. I've never gotten more than the minimum 3%/mission, and that still equals 33 missions over the entire campaign. That's more than I managed in the first new X-Com, so I don't think there'll be a lot of content I won't see over a normal play-through.

e: I just took the Ranger Alpha out on a mission :swoon:

inscrutable horse fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 22, 2018

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

You're saying this like its a bad thing.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
This game is really fun, shame it's so buggy. Half a dozen missions in, I've had a few skipped turns, certain canticles don't work for no reason sometimes and I just had a mission softlock. I hope they fix some of these, because the game would be a easy recommendation for me otherwise.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

This is the first 40k game since the original Space Hulk on PC which feels authentically 40K to me.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Look at these two Skitarii. They've achieved peak bullying:

The Immortal can't attack when it's at melee distance. Every time one of the two has a turn, he takes a step back, shoots it in the face and then moves back into the blocking square again. :allears:

Gauss Immortals are a bad surprise the first time you meet them, though. Just the sheer toughness and damage output you're faced with when you're up against a group of them can get pretty horrifying.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:allears: indeed. I love how this game shows the 'Crons and the Mechanicus- the former once ruled the stars, extinguishing solar systems with the literal press of a button, turning the laws of physics into the politely worded suggestions of physics and shattering gods.

Then a bunch of Jehovah's Witnesses wearing steampunk gear come along and bully them mercilessly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CommissarMega posted:

:allears: indeed. I love how this game shows the 'Crons and the Mechanicus- the former once ruled the stars, extinguishing solar systems with the literal press of a button, turning the laws of physics into the politely worded suggestions of physics and shattering gods.

Then a bunch of Jehovah's Witnesses wearing steampunk gear come along and bully them mercilessly.

Tbh, the focus on the Necrons as the bad guys has ensured I won't buy the game. I like the AdMech, and I like the Necrons. No thanks to a game focused on shooting up the only race in 40k I particularly like.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cythereal posted:

Tbh, the focus on the Necrons as the bad guys has ensured I won't buy the game. I like the AdMech, and I like the Necrons. No thanks to a game focused on shooting up the only race in 40k I particularly like.

Lol, might be the lamest thing I have ever read.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 23, 2018

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Cythereal posted:

what

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Scaevola has a goddamn spine collection :stare:

Hell same

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Wholesale genocide is the entire point of 40k.

Fukkin nerds trying to ruin my space games.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cythereal posted:

You DO realize that with the exception of people like Zhandrekh the Necrons want to wipe out all sentient life in the galaxy, right?

Besides, I consider the Mechanicus Vs. Necrons matchup as iconic as Space Marines Vs. Chaos Space Marines. The Necrons are technically what a layman would think the Mechanicus aspires to- perfect union with the machine, mastery over the laws of the universe, sleek and shiny chrome bodies etc. Yet while a few Techpriests do see the Necrons as their exemplar, the vast majority see them as a corrupted abomination of all that they are working towards, as well as of who they are.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Flamethrowers make me happy - I don't care that it costs 4 CP to use.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Secutor at full tree plus a Kastellan is just all kinds of :flame: hilarity. The Reinforcement ability means you can bring in the Kastellan for one measly CP and drop it anywhere on the map. And then you can buff it up with the Secutors servo-skull, Command and potentially a Cortex Canister for some serious BBQ time. If brought in this way, it will always take its turn right after the Secutor, too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

juice that baby up with a few physical damage amps and you can use the 2 CP versions no sweat. they will completely eradicate anything in the room.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
"We are the Necron. We fought the war in heaven, who are you to stand against us................wait, what are you doing? Put that down.... No! wai....... :supaburn:"

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

"We are the Nec- :supaburn:"

Fixed it for you.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
You are a race of advanced beings who transferred their consciousnesses to neigh immortal machines millions of years ago. You have been in stasis, waiting for the signal to awaken and reclaim the glory of your fallen empire. Your systems come online and you step out of your tomb.

A cyborg priest with spider legs immediately incinerates you because him and his buddies think your tomb smells like poo poo.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
One of the first row talents makes your next attack cost no CP, along with another that gives a free CP on round start per character that has it.

Give half your guys the big fuckoff penetrating lasers (especially the 5 CP one that goes through walls), the other half flamethrowers, match the generators up with them. You’ll win every round in the first round by just walking each guy to exactly where they need to be to kill 3-4 necron of any flavor with the free mega attack. Even the destroyers and Vargards. Hell the good laser can 2 shot the end bosses. One of the leg armors gives 3m movement and another first row talent gives 4m and immunity to opportunity attacks, you can cover most of any map between the blue and one CP.

Add the best sword you have, the no CP pistol to match the generator type you use, the 1 DMG servo talent, and the attack mechadentrite, and every tech priest becomes capable of downing and clearing killing multiple enemies per round. I seriously didn’t use troops or needed more than 3 tech priests on any mission past around 50% awoken. The final bosses died in 3 turns, getting a grand total of 1 melee attack off after a teleport.

Grab the heal mechadentrite, and the auto repair talent and you’ll rarely not full heal everyone (when initiative is lost or they get early attacks in small rooms). Grab the 3 HP talent later when it ramps up a bit. Skip the CP heal, not worth the slot, use the area shield instead, even the cheap ones absorb all damage you’ll take through the end game.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 27, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

"We are the Necron. We fought the war in heaven, who are you to stand against us................wait, what are you doing? Put that down.... No! wai....... :supaburn:"

I also like to imagine that Videx’s stupid speakers that he has put up to spread psalms or whatever is just playing DMX on repeat

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Haven't seen anyone else talk about it yet, but the soundtrack loving rules. It does so much to nail the right feel.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Cythereal posted:

source your quotes

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
One of my guys has "Traveler" from the Explorator tree, but I'm getting no armor bonus when I don't have a ranged weapon equipped. Anyone else have this happen?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, if you think the Solar laser is stupid OP, you gotta try the Techpriest version of the Torsion Cannon.

:magical:

Yeah, uh, I might refrain from using this thing from now on. Because holy poo poo, this is just stupid even by the low-difficulty standards of this game. And because you can't even use it on smaller maps without blowing up your own team - I can't target the Necron on the left in this picture without everyone across the chasm getting friendly-fired. :v:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

So this game good and stable right now or should wait for some patching?

Also, I dig the style, looks like the devs hit really well the wh40k feeling of things (also I did not know the techpriests were terminators, I always thought of them as wimpy zealots for some reason lol)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

dead comedy forums posted:

Also, I dig the style, looks like the devs hit really well the wh40k feeling of things (also I did not know the techpriests were terminators, I always thought of them as wimpy zealots for some reason lol)

oh, most of them are wimpy zealots wearing red robes and with a bunch of dumb terminator masks.

it's just that their boss is marginally more terminator, and their boss is marginally more terminator, and THEIR boss is marginally more terminator, on up to the guy you play as, whose only non-robot bits are a couple of bits of brain and spinal cord that aren't considered important.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Quick little Warhammer 40K question then: HAS any tech priest actually moved their mind fully into a machine? I always thought the upper limit was a brain in a jar in the middle of a war machine.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

dead comedy forums posted:

It's a bit easy atm, but devs say they are working on a balance patch that's coming possibly next week. It's a good game but I'd recommend waiting unless you're very casual about the difficulty.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

BexGu posted:

Quick little Warhammer 40K question then: HAS any tech priest actually moved their mind fully into a machine? I always thought the upper limit was a brain in a jar in the middle of a war machine.
The limit is half a brain in a machine body.
A thinking machine without any fleshy bits at all is extremely illegal and one of the absolute worst heresies to the Adeptus Mechanicus. Not saying that nobody tried it, but if they did and succeeded, they'd no longer be considered a tech priest.

That's what makes the AdMech vs Necrons setup so interesting in general, because the Necrons represents that last step to machine ascension that the Mechanicus can't and/or won't take.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Groetgaffel posted:

The limit is half a brain in a machine body.
A thinking machine without any fleshy bits at all is extremely illegal and one of the absolute worst heresies to the Adeptus Mechanicus. Not saying that nobody tried it, but if they did and succeeded, they'd no longer be considered a tech priest.

That's what makes the AdMech vs Necrons setup so interesting in general, because the Necrons represents that last step to machine ascension that the Mechanicus can't and/or won't take.

Well, most examples wouldn't be considered tech priests.

There might be one exception.

But he's an exception to a lot of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Avasculous posted:

The Men of Iron were an army of artificially intelligent robots that rebelled and plunged humanity into a dark age. They are long-forgotten, but they are the reason the Mechanicus exclusively uses a bunch of floating skulls and drooling zombies instead of purely machine constructs.

Artificial intelligence is a mind without a soul. It turns out this is a bad idea in a universe full of demons, since you're essentially putting out a 'possess me!' welcome mat.