Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
This game is hilarious and totally badass. Killing terminators and lighting incense all day. Can’t wait to see how it gets tweaked over the next few months.

Buy this game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Since I am firmly in the opinion that dawn of war 2 did nothing wrong in showing actual fluff marines instead of "they are totally badass but we can't actually make it so in the gameplay", I hope the dev continues this trend of obnoxious single player powerhousing

hell make a necron vengeance sequel or something with undying superwarriors, why the gently caress not

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
If you're fighting Necrons then that's exactly what they should be anyways.

"Tech priest has a techgasm over strange technology; pokes it and wakes up the horde of technological doom bots leading to the Necrons systematically killing every tech priest in the solar system" is kind of a narrative cliche in the Warhammer 40K universe. Ciphas Cain even has an entire novel dedicated to what a bunch of morons they are when it comes to the Necrons.

Of course playing the equivalent of a 5 turn prequel to X:COM 2 wouldn't be that fun.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

playing it now and I gotta say this is hands down the best wh40k game in terms of feel and ambiance: PIPE ORGAN DIGITAL EFFECT MUSIC, CYBORG SKULLS GALORE, TECHNOCRAZY PRIEST VS HOLIER THAN THOU CYBORG, SERVITOR BODY SLAMS, BADASS TERMINATOR LADY and of course lines such as "my frustration is such that I decided to acknowledge in my emotional processing units, technoacquisitor" is a top sell

rating: solid double thumbs up from a titan

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, the style and atmosphere of this game is great: it's VERY 40k but at the same time doesn't take itself too seriously, the childish bickering of the various Magos' in between missions is really funny. It is a bit too easy at the moment but I'm sure that'll be tweaked and this is the sort of game that it'll be easy to bolt expansions on to in the future.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One of the Necron bosses had a pretty good dig against the tech-priests during his boss banter. He mentioned "for you, whose greatest nightmare is peace" and yup, haha, that sums up the sucky fascist imerium pretty well.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oh hello this game exists and i of all people never noticed :psyduck: i think i instinctively kept skipping past the thread thanks to the poo poo Post tag

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this game is so insanely good but i hope they add a difficulty slider and new game + options like Hit Chance :devil:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The lore and setting of this game is top-notch and it's made me really fall in love with Ad-Mechs. I want more games focusing on Ad-Mechs please.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
When your space-crush does not reply to your messages on grimdark space-tinder:

game good xenos bad

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 8, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Got to the strategic make-a-magos layer and froze up on choice paralysis, as expected, but the tactics layer, and the overall aesthetic so far, are insanely my cup of tea. Gonna have to look up advice on that layer though :v:

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Got to the strategic make-a-magos layer and froze up on choice paralysis, as expected, but the tactics layer, and the overall aesthetic so far, are insanely my cup of tea. Gonna have to look up advice on that layer though :v:

Just get the three level one perks that give you +1cog/turn, no attacks of opportunity and no cog cost per weapon fire/turn, proceed to purge xenos

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Captain Gordon posted:

Just get the three level one perks that give you +1cog/turn, no attacks of opportunity and no cog cost per weapon fire/turn, proceed to purge xenos

Yeah that’s all you need. After that just pick one specialization for each guy and max out the whole branch - mostly so you can see how freaky they look all modded up. Hey

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Which expertises are the best? Lexmechanic, auxilium, enginseer and dominus?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

dead comedy forums posted:

Full Dominus path ends with scuttley spider legs so that one. Clickclickclick.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

a lovely king posted:

Full Dominus path ends with scuttley spider legs so that one. Clickclickclick.

You can unlock body parts in any order, so you only need to put two points in dominus for spider legs.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

dead comedy forums posted:

Honestly they are all pretty good

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
There's a balance beta patch (1.07 test) that you can opt into right now through steam.

Fairly minor stuff really and the devs are ideologically opposed to difficulty settings but it does address some of the worst offenders (besides canticles).

Cognition Freedom (now only -2 CP to shoot) and Enhanced Analytics (now only +1 CP if gauge is empty) got nerfed a bit and most of the weapons were nerfed. Macrostubbers now cost CP to use.

changelog:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v10TeALecgsx9OnovvLKuahRLN3AKQGjYc_gv-8D1fQ/edit?usp=sharing

Mukip fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 11, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Mukip posted:

Cognition Freedom (now only -2 CP to shoot) and Enhanced Analytics (now only +1 CP if gauge is empty) got nerfed a bit and most of the weapons were nerfed. Macrostubbers now cost CP to use.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
So, this game seems like it would be right up my alley since I'm obsessed with turn-based tactical games and love the 40k aesthetic because I'm emotionally still 12, however, some comments here have given me pause. How hard is the game, what is procedurally generated? I'm skipping Mutant Year Zero or w/e that game is because it looks like it's just the one campaign and less about tactical thinking and more of a "solve this combat puzzle" kind of game. Is that the case here? Certain posters have lamented that the game is super easy, which if that's the case I may just watch someone play this a little to get my fill of the lore.

Just curious what everyone's take has been. Does it seem like more content is coming soon or is the game "complete"? What is the challenge level, and what are the options to increase / decrease the challenge?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ok I'm really having some trouble with this game and I'm thinking maybe I need to start over. I failed one mission early on which would have rewarded me with another adeptus, I'm ~34% of the way thru awakening and still only have the 2 starting adeptus. I'd been doing missions alright and then I again tried a "Normal" mission with an adeptus as a reward but I got absolutely slaughtered. I got to the mission objective and the enemy started with 9 units surrounding my 2 adeptus and I had no cognition to start so they got slaughtered almost immediately.

I've done some "Normal" difficulty missions before and although challenging I could beat them, but I feel like maybe I've fallen too far behind and not getting a 3rd adeptus early on has really screwed me over.

Also it feels like there is no other option but to B-line it to the main objective every mission, if you deviate at all you're gonna quickly run into trouble with more Necrons spawning. The glyph rooms seem to be almost entirely not worth it as the penalties seem far worse than any reward I've received so far.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

rideANDxORdie posted:

Just curious what everyone's take has been. Does it seem like more content is coming soon or is the game "complete"? What is the challenge level, and what are the options to increase / decrease the challenge?

The devs say they are going to add a difficulty mode in the new year but for the time being there is only one difficulty setting. If you are a trugamer then it's good for one playthrough at the moment, but I'm interested enough in the base game to wait and come back to it later.

Popete posted:

Ok I'm really having some trouble with this game and I'm thinking maybe I need to start over. I failed one mission early on which would have rewarded me with another adeptus, I'm ~34% of the way thru awakening and still only have the 2 starting adeptus. I'd been doing missions alright and then I again tried a "Normal" mission with an adeptus as a reward but I got absolutely slaughtered. I got to the mission objective and the enemy started with 9 units surrounding my 2 adeptus and I had no cognition to start so they got slaughtered almost immediately.

I've done some "Normal" difficulty missions before and although challenging I could beat them, but I feel like maybe I've fallen too far behind and not getting a 3rd adeptus early on has really screwed me over.

Also it feels like there is no other option but to B-line it to the main objective every mission, if you deviate at all you're gonna quickly run into trouble with more Necrons spawning. The glyph rooms seem to be almost entirely not worth it as the penalties seem far worse than any reward I've received so far.

Two priests is definitely rough going into the midgame. The glyphs are actually very predictable because the symbols correspond to a certain outcome, so you should write down the symbols and their effects. I find the main benefit of exploring is to gain pre-battle CPs and sometimes to gain a free new technology. But if you finish missions with an awakening level higher than 3 then it will reduce the number of missions you are able to do in that playthrough, so you need to call off the exploration at some point.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
This soundtrack is so good it is in my regular game music rotation for listening at work and I regret nothing.

Heavy bass distortion is proof The Omnissiah is real and wants us to be happy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Regrettable, but one free cog point every turn every character was gonna have to get nerfed...

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Patch out which apparently includes a bunch of new hidden missions and a boss fight.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK, finally diving into this mess, blessings be to the Omnissiah. The tutorial is a little lean on information; what are the orange and blue scores under the units at the top scroll?

Also, is this not like XCOM where you can select unit movement in any order, there's a dice roll or something each round? I assume there's a quickness mod I can install to make my units act earlier in the round waiting in a necron's belly to dig up.

Also does cover exist/matter? This game has a lot of wide open spaces, at least through the tutorial, so I felt like my Mechanical rear end was hanging out for necrons to shoot off the whole time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Orange and blue numbers are the unit’s physical and energy armor respectively.

Initiative matters and the only major way you can change it is interactions in rooms to guarantee which side is moving first. Beyond that you need to just pay attention to which techpriest is moving first this time.

Cover isn’t a thing but concealment is. You can block a shot by dropping in behind a pillar or wall, or place a servitor in front of someone to eat a bullet for them.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Initiative matters and the only major way you can change it is interactions in rooms to guarantee which side is moving first. Beyond that you need to just pay attention to which techpriest is moving first this time.

Yeah, I found this out the hard way, because I put one of those defense screens on one of my priests, but whenever I go into any fight where my initiative is bad from room interactions, it's totally useless because the screen goes away as soon as the round ends, not when the unit deploying it moves next.

I assume this is true for armor Canticles as well? They go away when a round is up, and don't last until the unit using them goes again?

If so, Initiative is a huge deal for any kind of damage prevention abilities - I guess in that case I'd rather load up on offensive Canticles which will help no matter what my initiative is.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This game rules and I want more 40k, anyone got books or comics that feature necrons or admechs?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There's a Ciaphas Cain novel that features the admech loving around on a Tomb World.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Has anybody figured out the "False God" achievement?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Deakul posted:

This game rules and I want more 40k, anyone got books or comics that feature necrons or admechs?

Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 has both.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Tech priests are some of my favorite hamboys. Although I think necrons are probably the worst choice of enemy. they're perfect FLUFF wise but in terms of roster they lack the variety necessary for a good xcom-alike since you always know the next enemy type is going to be a slow moving terminator skeleton man with some minor gimmick. Plus the basic necrons never seem to ramp up much and don't get any kind of force multiplyers which means they're pretty quickly outmoded by my adaptable little machinemans.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Ignore this dumb post lol

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 4, 2019

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Er,wrong thread buddy.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

VolticSurge posted:

Er,wrong thread buddy.

Derp :V

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Just nabbed this after reading y'alls discussion of the balance patch and I'm excited about it!

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I actually didn't touch it before the balance patch, so I have no idea what y'all're talking about with it. I mostly built Dominus tech-priests who dual-wield the little no-cognition pistols, dual-equipped +energy damage buffs, and dual-equipped healer mechadendrites. Padded out the space on my list with Skitarii Vanguards because their physical damage complemented the energy of the priests.

Once I filled out the Dominus tree, getting the skill that lets my priests step out of melee combat without provoking an AoO was just godlike. Everything got shot and murdered, healing was constant, and I was using my cognition exclusively to buff damage. It wasn't the curbstomp you guys seem to be describing, but it was pretty straightforward.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The curbstomp build is full lexmechanic (the CP generation tree) and the full tree that starts with the free weapon activation and ends with 2 cp canticle spam. Arm your tech priests with the heaviest weapons you have like plasma culverins or those super heavy flamers, then feel sorry for the poor Crons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The curbstomp build is full lexmechanic (the CP generation tree) and the full tree that starts with the free weapon activation and ends with 2 cp canticle spam. Arm your tech priests with the heaviest weapons you have like plasma culverins or those super heavy flamers, then feel sorry for the poor Crons.

Didn't that get nerfed out with the patch, though? Now they only generate free cognition if your cp is empty, and you only get a -2 to cost for one attack. I didn't see the flamer in my game, drat.