Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you post on 4chan?
Yes
No
Used to
GOKU
View Results

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

YagotmeIdidit posted:

Seems like j-moot is planning to cleave the site into 2 domains, one for sfw boards and the other nsfw ones, in what one can only presume to be an ill-thought out plan to make it "mainstream" and profitable.
I'm thinking this may finally be the end of the bastard child of SA.

This may be as good a time as any: How many of you post(ed) on 4chan?

hiroshimoot is bad

I still post on 4ch but mostly just lurk now. The /pol/ infection to other boards (/tv/ especially) has been too loving much lately.

I'll probably lurk/post there til hiroshimoot fully runs it into the ground/scams everyone like he did with 2ch or whatever. Sunken cost fallacy or w/e I've been there since like 05 lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'll always have memories of /LOST/ and the beautiful verticals contained therein

:'(

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ishikabibble posted:

Actually 4chan did do a charge for membership thing. You can only make a post like every thirty seconds or something and you have to pass a "I'm not a robot" captcha, but you can pay for a pass to let you skip both the post timer and the captcha.

There's also a /vip/ board or something for paid only members. Or there was for a while idk.

fuckng hilarious how all the 4chan silver/gold/whatever membership memes became reality w/ 4chan pass

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bring Back Snacks

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Jesus gently caress you really have been going there for a while

:wink:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ArfJason posted:

nevada-tan

:<

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fuckin classic and always will be

AT FULL FORCE

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Harveygod posted:

It fits in her vagina, mouth, and rear end. At full force.

this

Also one could argue it was the beginning of the end and a big part of what spawned the monstrosity /pol/ became

tho tbh I hadn't been visiting /v/ very much during that time so I can't recall just how bad it was. I do remember it spilling into other boards tho like /tv/, which is sad b/c as a general rule of thumb /v/ has better threads about tv and movies and /tv/ has better threads about video games

They're both two of the worst boards on the site tho.

I miss when /v/ was just /b/2.0

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The funniest thing imo about the Habbo Raids (which were fun af and I'll never deny cherishing my memories of kickin open like 5 habbo tabs back when my poor 17yo rear end was still on dialup) is for all the swastikas, and what 4chan has become now, the raid actually started b/c mods on habbo were banning people using black avatars and for like 5 hot seconds it was an actual protest before it devolved into human swastikas and closin' the pool because AIDS

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Siljmonster posted:

This post sucks

thanks bb <3

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Twelve Batmans posted:

That gets swallowed up by the tide of white noise and poo poo-posting and forgotten with everything else. It's just for as much as people complain about /pol/ I've found it far less invasive than when MLP got huge and every forum drowned in it. I just don't think 4chan is the fascist-recruiting station everyone makes it out to be.

I agree with this, mostly. I think the truest cancer of /pol/ is a. it gives people a safe space to be shitheels and b. a lot of kids browse 4chan, and even before /pol/ was a thing there was a pretty clear shift from 'ironic' racism and bigotry to a bunch of kids who used to only post in the summer posting all year round and taking poo poo way more seriously than it should ever be taken on 4chan.

Just because not every poster on 4chan agrees with /pol/ (and many of them tell the nazis to gently caress off when they're making GBS threads up other boards) doesn't mean it's not bad imo. Definitely overstated. But it's bad in different ways than just 'nazis being nazis' and imo is more bad in the sense of normalizing that behaviour amongst younger people on the internet which just lets the lovely bigoted beast grow rather than shrink away in its own corner of the internet.

if that makes any sense lmbo. I'm high af

Anyway phoneposting is what truly ruined 4ch before /pol/ made it worse

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

m00t should have gotten rid of /pol/ before it turned into something too big for him to actually purge

he was too busy wanting to be the little girl tho smdh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

He should have never made it in the first place.

It wasn't always a containment board.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

/pol/ is the main reason I only really browse 4chan if I want to read the general for a big show, like I always go back to shitpost during /got/ season or w/e

/pol/ is a fuckin cancer and lmbo if moot wasn't man enough to purge it then jmoot def isn't b/c he's a scam artist who prob only cares about trying to squeeze some cash out of the site before he is ousted or it goes under

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

i miss the days of trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I am 100000% anti censorship and 200000% 'moot shoulda purged /pol/'

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That reminds me

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

YagotmeIdidit posted:

Burnt into your brain isn't it?

Always and forever. And I ain't even mad.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

RIP

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

b/c of this thread, I posted a thread in /tv/ the other night and it was surprisingly chill and some olds appeared

that's my story

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I have a weird legacy of being fondly remembered on /tv/ and it pleases me tbh. I used to be affectionately called /tv/'s bargain bin Sasha Grey which is still one of my fave compliments tbh

That's my other 4ch story.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

doxxing was a thing on 4ch long before /pol/ so it's never gna truly go away. But it didn't used to be malicious (overtly malicious, that is. any doxxing is dumb and bad even if you're doing it for a 'good' cause or what the gently caress ever) 99% of the time like it is now.

/pol/ is cancer cut it out or burn the whole thing down or both

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Prav posted:

the current vogue of doxxing always looked like a twitter thing to me

It's just a lovely internet in general thing imo.

Xelkelvos posted:

What about Doxxing nazis?

Opening anyone or their families up to that sort of harrassment is bad and gross unless you're exposing a literal pedophile or smth imo

e: ^^ doxxing is always malicious but I mean 4ch didn't always go against people they simply didn't like or w/e, they'd try to expose bad people or w/e not unlike those who think it's ok to doxx people for being shitlord racists

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Xelkelvos posted:

Nah, they totally went against people they didn't like. Harassing DeviantArt weirdos was definitely a thing. I wanna say Chris-chan was part of the old wave of loving with those sorts and his particular response spiraled into what it is now.

Part of the reason it died down a little on 4chan though was because m00t banned any sort of "invasion" stuff and a lot of people moved to 7chan's /i/nvasion board to coordinate there instead.

I never said they didn't go against people they didn't like. I just said it wasn't always doxxing for shitlord reasons and a lot of the time they doxx'd people anyone would consider bad. /pol/ turned it way worse. My point was just that the raids were more varied than what people think of them as, especially now.

i mean poo poo there was that couple years where 4ch was rallyin hard against scientology rather than just harrassing people they found cringeworthy

the CWC stuff was waaaay beyond just being a 4chan thing. there was an irc channel (hell may still be) just dedicated to coming up with ways to ruse him and they weren't all people from 4ch, prob a lot of goons there too

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Xelkelvos posted:

btw you hosed up.

This is the proper response to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

/co/ remains one of the better "mainstream" boards but it's a hollow victory considering that it's now roughly as bad as "right before gamergate" /v/

So it's /b/2.0?

• Locked thread