Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hello, here is a mostly if not completely copy-pasted OP (including this line but not this part right now in the brackets) from last year! Enjoy!

(I wasn't gonna actually reference the Disney thing in this actual post but I just realized Disney does in fact own Die Hard now so...)

It's that time of the year again and I'm once again doing this because no one else seems to be doing it. Also like last year, I will be participating so if you get matched to me, it will not be so secret. I'll still make it random and all that but just know that going in. Alternatively, if any one reading this wants to take over running this, I'll hand over the keys to the e-mail account.

Anyways, all I need from you is to send a little info to:
cinedsecretsanta2018@gmail.com

What I need you to send is
1) Your SA username
2) A link to your profile
3) Your actual name
4) Your address (or at least where you want your Santa to send your gift)
5) Whether you want 1 or 2 Santees (2 Santees also means you get 2 Santas)
6) Whether you're willing to ship internationally (not shipping internationally is only an option for people from the US. If you are not from the US and really prefer to ship within your country, I'll see what I can do but I can't guarantee anything. Expect to ship internationally)
7) Your Age/Sex
8) Whether you own a Bluray player or really I guess at this point even own something that can play physical media
9) Anything you want your Santa to know about yourself, what you want and what you don't want. You should also post this in this thread but here you can also put stuff you don't want public (like Amazon wish lists).

A few other things:
-No one is expecting you to buy the that that $250 Miyazaki Bluray set but be expected minimum price for your gift is $20. You can go way over that if you want but please don't be cheaper than that (homemade will obviously be treated on a different level).
-Once you get your Santa/Santee and want to message them, PM me or send something to the e-mail and I'll relay it for you.
-Please be an actual CineD poster. You don't have to be one of the regulars or someone that posts alot but still be someone that's had some sort of presence.
-If you think you're going to have any trouble getting your gift there on time, let me know and I'll let your Santee know. Don't make your Santee worry they got stiffed.
-If you haven't received your gift by January 1st and have heard nothing, let me know and I'll look into it.
-Don't be an rear end. If you sign up please actually send someone something cool.

The Deadline for signups is December 8th. More realistically the cutoff will be whenever after December 8th I start making the list, but I'll let the thread know when that happens.
[b]ASSIGNMENTS SHOULD BE OUT OR ARE ON THERE WAY RIGHT NOW! If you don't have an assignment by the 9th, let me know.

I think that's everything. If I forgot anything, let me know and I'll put it in the OP.

So after you've sent your e-mail, post in the thread. Let your Santa know you're here and what you want. Also just in general discuss things about your interests or try to inquire into the interests of others. Once you get your loot please post it in the thread so we can all see how awesome your Santa was. So good luck, have fun and merry whatever you celebrate!

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Horror
Sci-fi
Detectives, kid detectives
Vinegar Syndrome, Arrow, etc.
Film restoration/history
Lost/forgotten media

Dislikes:
Proud nerd culture
Toys, t-shirts, posters, video games
Anything that could be found in a Loot Crate

Or just whatever, definitely doesn't have to be movie-related. Try to get me into your favorite thing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Here's my Letterboxd.

Likes: Horror, Criterion, Short Films, Outsider Art, Film Theory, Obscure/Weird poo poo, books,

Dislikes: Funko Pops, Action Figures, expressions of nerd culture, superhero stuff

I don't own a lot of my favorites on blu-ray, but I'd prefer new-to-me stuff that I'd like. I'm also cool with used blu-rays.

I might update this as I think of more stuff.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 19, 2018

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

my Letterboxd

Like the other posters so far, the one thing I'll say I don't want is tacky nerd poo poo. Books, Blus, or posters are all fine, but no Funkos. No vinyl either, but that's just because I don't have a turntable.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Westerns/samurai flicks
Noir (both neo and oldo)
Cats
Folklore/The Occult
Bolo ties

Dislikes:
Living in Iceland so that whoever is unfortunate enough to be my Santa might have to wait like a month before anything reaches me
also Funkopops yadda yadda what they said

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 21, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Look at all these Santas

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
i look forward to all 5 of us exchanging only the finest funko pops

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Only the funkiest funkos for my CineD fam

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sorry, I'm not doing CineD Secret Santa 2018. :colbert:

I'm not going to mention that I'm especially interested in silents, experimental, classic animation, documentary, and foreign (non-American) cinema.

I'm especially not going to mention that I'd be most interested in books on films and filmmaking, as well as published scripts/screenplays.

Further more, I absolutely did not just send an email with the applicable information needed to get myself into such a mess that is the CineD Secret Santa 2018.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Seeing all these posts protesting the exchange of Funko Pops is funny, but also makes me confident that I'm in good hands. I've been lucky enough to get some top-tier Santees in the past; it's always fun to pick out gifts for a person you really like and/or who's got intriguing interests. Submitting my entry now.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I'm in and I will take all the Funko Pops you can throw at me (please god don't send me Funko Pops).

also film crit, books on film, film history, films about film. Mostly genre agnostic, so get me interested in something you're interested in because so far this month I've watched French new wave, spaghetti westerns, blaxploitation, mcirobudget slashers, some trash-tier Nic Cage direct to video, a Best Picture Oscar winner, and some Marx Brothers stuff. Surprise me and let me know why you think it's good!

Dislikes: Funko anything and related "nerd ""culture""" stuff, and the fact that anyone who gets me will have to deal with shipping to Australia so sorry in advance about that

e: here's my Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/aewade/

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 5, 2018

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I'm in. Here's what I put in my electronic mail:
I’m not terribly picky about movie genres. I also enjoy reading (fiction or non-fiction). I dunno, introduce me to something you enjoy. I'm looking to branch out a bit. Funko Pops and anime and nerd culture are haram.

An extremely helpful blurb, imo.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Hello it's me your friend and occasional poster FancyMike. Letterboxd, movie collection.

I like pretty much all kinds of movies, though I tend to avoid superhero stuff. Open to surprises and new (non-anime) experiences. Physical media is cool and good. Books also good, and posters. Figures, trinkets maybe.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Ok, I'm making the matches now. Just know that we pretty much have the same people we always do and because of that and because of how many years I've been doing this, there is a very high chance that pretty much everyone is getting a goon they've been assigned in the past, so be cool about that please is all I'm saying.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Okay, assignments are out! If I hosed anything up, let me know as soon as possible and I'll try and fix it

Also remember, if you have any questions for your Santee, just either PM me or e-mail the Secret Santa e-mail. Enjoy and good Santa-ing!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I'm in.

Dislikes: movies of any genre

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Honestly would any of you be THAT mad if someone got you either of these?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My Santee should expect their gift by Sunday.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

My Santee got their gifts like a week ago

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
My Santee's gift was marked as delivered so fingers crossed it's in the right hands!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've sent my gifts along.

Hopefully they'll arrive before mid January.

Sorry for being in Iceland.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've sent my gifts along.

Hopefully they'll arrive before mid January.

Sorry for being in Iceland.

I still need to watch that movie you got me last year, it looks interesting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yo, y'all:

1) THANK YOU to everyone who tossed in a few bucks for me, and to therattle for arranging it. You literally bought me better food than ramen and PB&J sandwiches.

2) therattle, I got Killing Eve in the mail today, and knowing absolutely nothing about the show but having read rave reviews, I'm eager to dive into it tomorrow afternoon.

Y'all rule.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I Before E posted:

I still need to watch that movie you got me last year, it looks interesting.

It's basically an Icelandic attempt at something like Goodfellas, which is to say a bombastic period crime film with a soundtrack of period songs that is based on real crimes. I'm not sure how much of it translates between languages and the cultures but I am very curious. A bunch of stuff in the movie refers to very specific events and people that I'm not sure someone not from here would get which might not make it as good.

One of the characters, the older drug baron, is based on a dude from my home town. Me and my friend used to do a ring and run at his house all the time when we were like 12 because him, allegedly, having a bunch of guns and such at his house and being a crime lord made it a bit more exciting than doing at a random house.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I, Butthole posted:

My Santee's gift was marked as delivered so fingers crossed it's in the right hands!

It is! And a very good choice it was too: Tampopo (which I have never seen and looks fantastic) and Eat What You Watch, a book of recipes inspired by films. I obviously post a lot about food and cooking! I thought that it was a really cool and thoughtful gift and am appropriately grateful.

Timby posted:

Yo, y'all:

1) THANK YOU to everyone who tossed in a few bucks for me, and to therattle for arranging it. You literally bought me better food than ramen and PB&J sandwiches.

2) therattle, I got Killing Eve in the mail today, and knowing absolutely nothing about the show but having read rave reviews, I'm eager to dive into it tomorrow afternoon.

Y'all rule.

:tipshat:

I LOVE Killing Eve (and my wife does too). It's so drat good, I can't imagine most people who post on CineD not liking it, so I took a chance. Something else is en route too, BTW. And I am glad that we were able to provide you with some decent sustenance too - which is important given your circumstances! (That's why I didn't blow most of it on gifts - I figured you could make good use of the money).

This thread is just full of feel-good. :3:

therattle fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 16, 2018

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

therattle posted:

It is! And a very good choice it was too: Tampopo (which I have never seen and looks fantastic) and Eat What You Watch, a book of recipes inspired by films. I obviously post a lot about food and cooking! I thought that it was a really cool and thoughtful gift and am appropriately grateful.

Hell yeah, glad I got it right! I was tossing up between that and the Goodfellas cookbook, but that one is a bit of a wider range of foods and also has decent vego options - and as I said, the guys youtube channel hasn't steered me wrong so far and I'm an absolute pleb when it comes to cooking. Enjoy Tampopo, because it's amazing!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

therattle posted:

:tipshat:

I LOVE Killing Eve (and my wife does too). It's so drat good, I can't imagine most people who post on CineD not liking it, so I took a chance.

Watched the first episode and I am so loving hooked. Going to space it out so I can look forward to something to watch after work, but ... hot drat, Sandra Oh is amazing in this. Once again, thank you.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Received Lil Mama's (Lil Santa's?) gift today! Double feature of Eisenstein's Strike and Battleship Potemkin on Blu-ray, plus the book Splatter Capital by Mark Steven.

:ussr:

(Finally got my santee's gift ordered and shipped, but it's probably not getting to you until after the first of the year. Original item I wanted to send went out of print with no warning :argh: )

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Just an FYI to my Santa, if you’re worrying about whether or not I got your package, I only go to my PO box about once a week, so it may take a few days.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
dope rear end presents from dope rear end poster Franchescanado.

thank you!

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 18, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

dope rear end presents from dope rear end poster Franchescanado.

thank you!

You're welcome, bud!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Finally got mine sent out. A little late, but they should get there by this weekend!

Also, Killing Eve is terrific, I just binged it this past week. It's just the perfect blend of everything I enjoy.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have stopped being lazy and sent my gifts out. Santees should be getting stuff by the end of the week at the latest.

Also I Before E I hate you for reasons that I'll make clear the next time I'm feeling not lazy.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

axelblaze posted:

I have stopped being lazy and sent my gifts out. Santees should be getting stuff by the end of the week at the latest.

Also I Before E I hate you for reasons that I'll make clear the next time I'm feeling not lazy.

I see you're feeling the Christmas spirit

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Sent my gift today!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

Also, Killing Eve is terrific, I just binged it this past week. It's just the perfect blend of everything I enjoy.

:hfive:

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Sent my gift Monday, it should arrive tomorrow. Unfortunately I hosed up and the very nice note I had written did not make it into the package. So whoever gets a package of movie gifts from a stranger named Michael tomorrow with no note, that is probably me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FancyMike posted:

Sent my gift Monday, it should arrive tomorrow. Unfortunately I hosed up and the very nice note I had written did not make it into the package. So whoever gets a package of movie gifts from a stranger named Michael tomorrow with no note, that is probably me.

They came in!

Cronos, Audition, and Days of Being Wild!

I love Del Toro but haven't seen Cronos, and this is a wonderful Criterion edition.

I also haven't seen Audition, despite also liking Miike. I've been putting it off for years, now I have a big push to watch it.

Wong Kar-Wai is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors. I've seen In The Mood For Love, which is one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen, and I recently watched Happy Together (RIP FilmStruck). And I started watching him thanks to FancyMike's recommendation! Days of Being Wild is the 'prequel/first part' of In The Mood For Love, right? I can't wait to watch it.

I love these, FancyMike. You did a great job. I can't wait to watch them. Thank you!

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 20, 2018

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

lol I’m glad you like the package that one was not for the secret santa though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FancyMike posted:

lol I’m glad you like the package that one was not for the secret santa though

Egg on my face! But it's still a great gift and in the spirit of Christmas, so I'll leave this here.

Thanks again!

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 20, 2018