Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i know i saw that option at least hundred times but my eyes just slid off the implication lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The mix-and-matching of jobs in FFXII is very fun, yes.

And the english voice acting is great. THE REINS OF HISTORY BACK IN THE HANDS OF MAN!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Frog Act posted:

very cool, i was just reading that some classes are a lot less active but pair well with others, like a mage job with bushi since the katanas benefit from magic and strength, so like black mage and samurai would be effective? or red mage and knight since you get spells and physical stuff? as long as i'm free to experiment it sounds like a really neat system

if you can recall which guide you used that would be dope

I just googled "ffxii best job combinations" and read the explanations of the lists to get an idea of the synergies and strengths of each

for black mage I'd say bushi, which iirc has lots of +magic stuff, or you can add a different one which will give you different abilities or techniks

don't overthink it early on, however you think you're gonna play these characters you're probably wrong, gambit system changes things up a lot

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

smarxist posted:

i know this is the meme about 12, but i dunno how true it is, because Vaan is there, but he's hardly the main character, i think the game treats him like a POV character early on because he's the greenest person on the team (with penelo), but it quickly turns into an ensemble game w/ Ashe being the main character, by the mid part of the game, you're basically watching her story unfold

This was my take on the story as well with the main character shifting around. I feel like it'd work but the big issue is that a lot of characters have their story portion and then are just ignored for the rest of the game. Fran has her story portion in the middle of the game, and then is ignored until they very end of the game.

I don't know if it was ever confirmed but I thought that was a big reason why Yasumi Matsuno left the game, and the later the company. Sakaguchi also left shortly after FFXII.

Epic High Five posted:

I really regret that I didn't end up using Bashe lol, such grizzled dad energy there. Should've used him instead of Balthier but didn't for whatever reason

Was a dumb move, it's not like anybody but Ashe was ever gonna be the face of it and her and Bashe really did feel like the main characters that yours was just tagging along with

It'd be cool to see what the original story was for the game.

Square seems like a company that has a lot of talent but are too ambitious and step on each other's toes all the times. I wonder if they'll ever make another good final fantasy game.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

smarxist posted:

:siren: Tonight around 7PM-8PM Eastern, join Ferb/Korean Boomhauer and I for a BLIND SERIOUS SAM 4 CO-OP RUN in the Communist Gamer's Association twitch stream, it's' gonna be fun as heck

wait, serious sam 4 is out?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

smarxist posted:

i know i saw that option at least hundred times but my eyes just slid off the implication lol

Ditto. I broke out the job guides so early so I didn't accidentally nerf anyone and had to make all kinds of late-game decisions early!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

I just googled "ffxii best job combinations" and read the explanations of the lists to get an idea of the synergies and strengths of each

for black mage I'd say bushi, which iirc has lots of +magic stuff, or you can add a different one which will give you different abilities or techniks

don't overthink it early on, however you think you're gonna play these characters you're probably wrong, gambit system changes things up a lot

cool. i'm winding down the last bit of persona 5 so it's time for me to take on another gigantor RPG. thanks dudes!!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Frog Act posted:

so basically the only unfixable fuckups in FFXII are failing to acquire random pieces of gear from chests at the right time but that can be bypassed by cheat tables that let you adjust drop frequency?

I don't believe anything is "missable" in TZA though quite a few items were in the original. There are some things that you're limited to just 1-3 of and others that you can miss an easy chance to get earlier rather than later, but you don't need to strategize every single map with a guide or anything

Sell all the loot you get except teleport stones, serpent skins, and quest items to unlock items and rewards in the bazaar

edit - as for gear, look it up first before you sell it and you've never seen it in a shop. Some stuff you'll REALLY regret like if you sell a trippet or smtg

PostNouveau posted:

Ditto. I broke out the job guides so early so I didn't accidentally nerf anyone and had to make all kinds of late-game decisions early!

This also works! Odds are if you haven't played with the gambits before, even a meticulously planned out character is going to end up getting overhauled at some point

Epic High Five has issued a correction as of 21:29 on Sep 24, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

people seriously overstate how late in development Vaan was added to the game. all signs point to it having still been in the early planning stages

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

I don't believe anything is "missable" in TZA though quite a few items were in the original. There are some things that you're limited to just 1-3 of and others that you can miss an easy chance to get earlier rather than later, but you don't need to strategize every single map with a guide or anything

Sell all the loot you get except teleport stones, serpent skins, and quest items to unlock items and rewards in the bazaar

edit - as for gear, look it up first before you sell it and you've never seen it in a shop. Some stuff you'll REALLY regret like if you sell a trippet or smtg

This also works! Odds are if you haven't played with the gambits before, even a meticulously planned out character is going to end up getting overhauled at some point

oh cool. one of the reasons i never got around to XII was because i had read you needed to spend a lot of time on optimization paths by picking chests right or doing things in a specific order. sounds like TZA can just be played through without a lot of external referencing, which is how i prefer my JRPGs

i read just now that it uses FFXI's engine for combat and the overworld which kind of explains why it felt so familiar, i played FFXI to 99 right at the beginning of the pandemic and enjoyed it, and this feels like a single player version of that engine with an equally/much more cool setting

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Augus posted:

people seriously overstate how late in development Vaan was added to the game. all signs point to it having still been in the early planning stages

Yeah, Vaan is actually pretty integral to plot, both as a viewpoint character but also as a thematic foil to Ashe.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

I mean I'm also kind of biased because the king of rougelikes already exists (it's the binding of isaac) so everything will eventually be compared to it and fail in some way

king of roguelites

lmao at isaac being a roguelike

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

when you say roguelite do you mean that it has persistent elements between runs or do you mean that it doesn't have grid-based movement like the original Rogue, every other person seems to give a different answer to this

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
goddamn this talk is making me want to play FFXII. when it released I think I only played for 12 hours or so, enough to get a taste of the combat system (which owned) but the story didn’t grab me

for what it’s worth the world in FFXIV is basically Ivalice, complete with rabbit ladies

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

into the trash, FFXII, let's not speak of gambits ever again

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

gambits numba 1

gambits 4 lfe

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ah, the reward for playing the game is having the game play itself for you. well poo poo, ought to have rented Xenosaga or a movie

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Augus posted:

when you say roguelite do you mean that it has persistent elements between runs or do you mean that it doesn't have grid-based movement like the original Rogue, every other person seems to give a different answer to this

"roguelike" is a bundle of genre conventions that are pretty rigid, because you get a totally different kind of game when you get rid of them. both the persistent elements and the action aspects are serious deviations from the conventions, so it is not a roguelike, but it borrows enough elements from the genre to be sort of "like rogue". that's why people started using roguelite as a term in the first place

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

"roguelike" is a bundle of genre conventions that are pretty rigid, because you get a totally different kind of game when you get rid of them. both the persistent elements and the action aspects are serious deviations from the conventions, so it is not a roguelike, but it borrows enough elements from the genre to be sort of "like rogue". that's why people started using roguelite as a term in the first place

Sounds like some nerd poo poo bro BoI best roguelike and roguelite of all time also greatest video game of all time

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

ah, you're talking about action run based games with extrinsic progression elements tied to intrinsic decision making in dungeon yes?

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

PostNouveau posted:

Sounds like some nerd poo poo bro BoI best roguelike and roguelite of all time also greatest video game of all time

I actually don't like binding of issac.

If you like dead baby piss poo then sure, good for you.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Henceforth, all video games fall under the category of BindingofIsaaclikes.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
sorry roguelike purist losers, we took your word and now it means BINDING OF ISAAC. if you don’t like it i’ve got a locker ready to have a NERD shoved into it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Augus posted:

there is no way to exactly define it

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
hard to believe Binding of Isaac is a documentary, and an immersive sim

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

punished milkman posted:

sorry roguelike purist losers, we took your word and now it means BINDING OF ISAAC. if you don’t like it i’ve got a locker ready to have a NERD shoved into it

:hmmyes:

Hire someone to make graphics for your games so all your characters are more than literal characters.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
binding of Isaac is only graphical technically speaking and probably the main reason i can't get into the game, it's loving hideous

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I call roguelites "roguelikes" and I call roguelikes "mystery dungeon games"

also spelunky is better than boi don't @ me

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dungeon crawl stone soup from like 4 years ago was probably
The best rogue ever

I don’t know what has happened to the game since then

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

smarxist posted:

binding of Isaac is only graphical technically speaking and probably the main reason i can't get into the game, it's loving hideous

I'll admit this and the poop are hurdles to overcome on your way to gaming nirvana.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

I've been forcing myself to play spelunky and it just doesn't do it for me. Doesn't seem like the runs vary all that much from each other.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
for anyone looking for an entry into real roguelikes (the ascii kind) Brogue is very good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

smarxist posted:

yeah same i could never get into BoI, though last time I tried it it basically looked like a flash game. just wasn't my thing at all

to me, there's so many great roguelites out there that BoI is probably even too dated. We've got:
Synthetik (top down/isometric shoot-man gun-fucker roguelites)
Nuclear Throne (radioactive twin-stick shooter: roguelite)
Enter the Gungeon (personally was not a big fan of it and i in fact disliked it but I can't deny it's very solid)
UnderMine (zelda LTTP roguelite)
Immortal Redneck (serious sam: roguelite)
Gunfire Reborn (co-op borderlands: the roguelite)
Hades (greek beat-em-up the roguelite)
Dead Cells (side-scroller castlevania-kill-em-all roguelite)
Crypt of NecroDancer (dance dance revolution roguelite)
Desktop Dungeons (puzzle roguelite)
FTL (spaceship simulator roguelite)
Hand of Fate 1/2 (deck-building-adventure + Marlow Briggs roguelite),
Into the Breach* (advanced wars: the roguelite)
Nova Drift (SHMUP roguelite)
Noita (witch wand-crafting and suicide simulator: the roguelite)
Slay the Spire (TCG: the roguelite)
Risk of Rain 2 (3rd-person run-n-gun coop shooter: the roguelite)
Spelunky 1/2 (indiana jones and the temple of death: roguelite)
Void Bastards (system shock: the roguelite),

and so on. it's insane

Xaris has issued a correction as of 22:33 on Sep 24, 2020

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Augus posted:

they’re very different games and both quite good. spelunky 2 is definitely wayyy harder and has been ravaging me. i finally beat olmec for the first time, and i don’t know if i have the spirit left to keep going through this punishment.

been playing hades in the interim (amazing game) and im on a 7 win streak so i’m feelin good there!!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the absolute worst thing in a procedurally generated game of dubious genre title is when the game refuses to give you damage upgrades so you end up slogging through floors slowly chipping away at dozens of incredibly tanky enemies.

spelunky does not have that, which is why it is great

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
spelunky instead has a billion different ways of killing you instantly

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hell yeah it does

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Frog Act posted:

spent two hours trying to mod oblivion, uninstalled and reinstalled like 15 times, actually got it to launch with most of my mods once, then quit and uninstalled and deleted everything when something borked that and subsequent tries kept not launching

gently caress it maybe next year

this is the magic of TES, doing this every two years forever

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
I used to be a big BoI fan but it just hasn't aged well and has way to much bloat. This is the prime example of not getting a damage upgrade and the game is such a slog, half the characters are miserable to play for some reason.

I appreciate some of the wild combos and poo poo but man the base gameplay hasn't aged well. Also the best roguelike is DoomRL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
roguelike metroidvania with persistent rpg elements sounds like it should be the true name of a demon and not a legible description of a game