Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

DoombatINC posted:

In 2012 I bought an original release of 1999's Descent 3 + Mercenary at a 7-11 for two dollars, and whenever I think about it I get the spins

The opening to Lord of War except instead of a rifle round's journey it's a late nineties videogame jewel case being passed around a string of bulk multimedia suppliers

I got Warcraft 3 for a dollar at a thrift store around 2012, and then frozen throne was at the same place the next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

God drat that new ghosts n goblins is $30.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

lmao @ gaming just devolving into rereleasing remasters (that look uglier) from the era of actual Good Games

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

KaptainKrunk posted:

lmao @ gaming just devolving into rereleasing remasters (that look uglier) from the era of actual Good Games

well that's largely the fate of western AAA devs like ea, actiblizzard, etc. tons of great indie games though these days.

surprised ubisoft hasn't gotten in on the "re-release asscreed 1/2" yet

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
small gaming company releases a few good games, gets bigger, then gets dumber, releases shittier games under bloodthirsty management, tries to relive their glory days for a quick buck, now doomed to make fail trash games driven only by their brand momentum. A classic tale

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It legit pisses me off that they will put out a remastered ghosts and goblins and the loving Maximo games are right loving over there

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
where the gently caress is demons crest 2. legitimately the best game on the snes

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

TheMightyBoops posted:

I borrowed Pokémon Sun from a friend when it came out and I have never played a game that telegraphed to me more that it was a game for babies. I get why people like the collection aspect in it but the npcs all talked to me like I was 7.

You bought a haunted cartridge that was speaking directly to you.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

punished milkman posted:

where the gently caress is demons crest 2. legitimately the best game on the snes

This too

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

punished milkman posted:

this post has led to me learning that Demon's Crest is on Nintendo's online service. cool.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

uber_stoat posted:

this post has led to me learning that Demon's Crest is on Nintendo's online service. cool.

please play it everyone. i love it. the soundtrack is also spectacular and spooky

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.
Got free Rage 2 on epic store and I remember this getting ragged on pretty hard at release. It's.....good?

It's pretty much Fallout crossed with FarCry with a sprinkling of Borderlands "zaniness" that doesn't get too irritating.

Find myself sprinting towards every bandit outpost or whatever because the guns just feel drat good.

It's nothing new, but it's done well. Dunno why it got such mediocre reviews :shrug:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

CredulousAtBest posted:

It's nothing new, but it's done well. Dunno why it got such mediocre reviews :shrug:
plenty of reasons: namely, it's mediocre. reminder that mediocre doesnt mean it's capital b bad, but it's not good either and not really worth playing unless you have a bazillion free-time hours.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

rage 2 is a weird game. the story is dogshit awful, even by video game standards. It feels rushed and hectic while at the same time literally nothing important happens. But once you unlock a couple of more powers and upgrades the combat is god drat amazing. It's fast paced and hectic, and it has this flow that is an absolute blast. The game shines when it throws huge waves of tough enemies at you in fairly well designed arenas.

Then you get chucked into the most lifeless, bolted on open world imaginable and have to spend 2 minutes following purple arrows in an annoying talking car to find anything interesting. Not only that, you have to go out of your way to find new powers and weapons, and a lot of them are really out of the way. The game would have absolutely been better as a tightly paced ~10 hour linear shooter and not a slog of an open world driving thing.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Worth it to restore Tifa's bustline

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

gaming is merely following the exact same capitalist tide as every other entertainment industry. remakes remain profitable sure-hits, right?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Yet they still haven't made a super hero game worth a poo poo.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Zurtilik posted:

MVC 2

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

No. The blockbuster system is flawless and anything with less than a six figure marketing budget is to be mocked.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

punished milkman posted:

please play it everyone. i love it. the soundtrack is also spectacular and spooky

I always loved that the darker, grittier spin-off of Ghosts n Goblins was also way way easier

(yes I know Gargoyle's Quest was also goofy but Demon's Crest wasn't)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

City of Heroes was great.

Shame what happened.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Zurtilik posted:

the ps4 spiderman game was pretty good

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
the batman trilogy is great

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Zurtilik posted:

the studio doing the deus ex prequels got pulled off those to make soulless capeshit(avengers iirc) lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the ps4 spiderman game was pretty good

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.

Xaris posted:

plenty of reasons: namely, it's mediocre. reminder that mediocre doesnt mean it's capital b bad, but it's not good either and not really worth playing unless you have a bazillion free-time hours.

Fair enough I guess. The combat has been good enough that I can stomach a poo poo story. I'm mostly just fast forwarding through the :words: anyway to get to the next shooty bit

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I have a physical copy of Descent:Freespace 2 (yeah I know you can just download it) that i consider my favorite gaming purchase ever.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LegoMan posted:

I have a physical copy of Descent:Freespace 2 (yeah I know you can just download it) that i consider my favorite gaming purchase ever.

It still owns such as the overwhelming accurate scale of the larger battleships.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

etalian posted:

It still owns such as the overwhelming accurate scale of the larger battleships.

The capital ship combat was amazing for its time with flak and huge fuckin lasers that will turn you into atoms. And all the while you're just this pesky fly among giants. I can't think offhand of another game that has managed to give the same feeling.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zurtilik posted:

hulk ultimate destruction for the gamecube

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Why would anyone ever be excited for a creative assembly game ever again? None of them have been good since shogun 2, almost 10 years ago now.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LegoMan posted:

The capital ship combat was amazing for its time with flak and huge fuckin lasers that will turn you into atoms. And all the while you're just this pesky fly among giants. I can't think offhand of another game that has managed to give the same feeling.

Yeah the plus the second game added in even more anti-fighter weapons like those annoying turrets.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mercrom posted:

the batman trilogy is great

Weren't they making a Teen Titans based sequel?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Augus posted:

hulk ultimate destruction for the gamecube

same but ps2

prototype was the spiritual successor but it sucked in comparison

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

i was ready to be resigned to ff7r not coming to PC and to just get excited for the episodic android games until i saw this tweet

https://twitter.com/108/status/1365070275365269509?s=20

and now im hopeful for april

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A Russian troll farm posted:

Why would anyone ever be excited for a creative assembly game ever again? None of them have been good since shogun 2, almost 10 years ago now.

maybe we enjoy just seeing shameful displays...

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

i am also excited for the ff7 episodic android games because ff7 is my weakness and i will consume all of it no matter how loving awful it is

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

punished milkman posted:

its called Blasphemy

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Good soup! posted:

It legit pisses me off that they will put out a remastered ghosts and goblins and the loving Maximo games are right loving over there

Maximo ruled so m- wait...

quote:

Maximo games

There's more???

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

LegoMan posted:

dive dive dive hit your burners pilot is top gaming bliss and nothing has or ever will top it. gaming has failed to achieve ever since

don’t @ me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The android FF7 game looks pretty good and fairly faithful to the original, so I might give it a shot.

Y'know, by pirating it. Because gently caress giving Squeenix money. Everyone who deserved to get paid got paid already.