Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

It was so weird that so many critics praised this game because it played, looked and was overall dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
john cazale insisting on filming his scenes first for deer hunter is so insane, i wonder how many people knew what was going on besides him, the director and streep

guess he was dialed in to building the legend: 5 movies, 5 best picture nominations (3 wins), nothing else

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

john cazale insisting on filming his scenes first for deer hunter is so insane, i wonder how many people knew what was going on besides him, the director and streep

guess he was dialed in to building the legend: 5 movies, 5 best picture nominations (3 wins), nothing else

too bad deer hunter loving sucks

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Augus posted:

the weapon switching and polarity system in DmC is so awful it drags the entire game down
It’s a case study on how to take inherently fun gameplay systems and ruin them with AAA design tropes

See also doom eternal.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

TheMightyBoops posted:

Wasn’t that made up for the movie? The VC didn’t really do that.

edit: That movie gets really silly when Walken becomes a pro mlg gamer at the end, idk what the consensus on that film is in this day and age, but I thought it was bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er6DTOZN_B4

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

alas, they’ve changed their header image to just have a Red Cross logo now

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Strangelet Wave posted:

alas, they’ve changed their header image to just have a Red Cross logo now

lame

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Always a good time to share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oL29x7Reh8

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The Voice of Labor posted:

just to keep the constant derail up, I thought it was strongly implied that kurtz was an unreliable narrator. I'd have to watch it again, but I remember there being something really fishy when he's recounting the pile o' baby arms story

I always thought it was just something made up for the movie. Given the dark surreal tone of the entire movie that makes more sense

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Kurtz and his men chopped off the babies arms, and he made up the story to make up for the guilt. He wants to be like his notion of the VC (moral killers with a crystal clear vision of right and wrong, no doubt) because he harbors guilt about Phoenixing a bunch of innocent villagers. At the same time, he's condemning the conscript American army for being too soft.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

KaptainKrunk posted:

too bad deer hunter loving sucks

No

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

it's a racist and bad film, although the first hour is charming.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

are you a spawn camper?

.... I'm a gamer

you're neither. you're a bot, sent by your masters to collect a renown item

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
those Deer Hunter games were crazy popular for 1999 or whatever and they didnt even let you kill Viet cong

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

a three point buck sniped my father and I'll never forgive them

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

The ending was the most legendary bad part but the game was just progressively getting stupider and didn't have as many highs as 2 to cover for how dumb it got. The middle part of the game is mostly okay and if you accept that it's gonna be dumb it's not gonna be awful

yeah people harp on the ending because its the most memorable part but i had already checked out way before. so much stupid poo poo in that game, with very little cool stuff to paper it over with

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

my favorite moment in mass effect 3 was at the very end before the final battle when you're having your melodramatic parting dialogue with all your friends and halfway through there's an unskippable segment where shephard jumps on a turret to blast away at oncoming mooks for a couple of minutes, and once finished they hop off the turret with a poo poo eating smirk on their face before continuing their maudlin farewells like nothing ever happened

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

like the developers had so little faith in the strength of their own writing they had to shoehorn this nonsequiter moment of gameplay for fear the player would get bored or something

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

DesertIslandHermit posted:

It was so weird that so many critics praised this game because it played, looked and was overall dogshit.

this was an era where having a racist meltdown over how weird/bad japanese games are was still pretty normal so that makes sense to me tbh

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

"Rise and Fall" is a hook for the youtube title. It's extremely common, even for poo poo that is only well known for the infamy of having such a ludicrous premise.

Pretty much. There's a very distinct YouTube "culture" that goes into titling and cover photos.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think mass effect is a victim of its own ambition. Disappointing sequels happen all the time, but people got super attached to “their shepherd”. People spent like, 5 years theorizing and thinking about all these hooks in the first 2 games so of course people are gonna be pissed if you fumble the payoffs and make a bunch of dumb retcons.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

true but have you considered bioware got really stupid post mass effect 1

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

true but have you considered bioware got really stupid post mass effect 1

Post?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the last bioware game that was good was baldurs gate 2

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Grimey Drawer
that was the last good obsidian game

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

DrManiac posted:

I think mass effect is a victim of its own ambition. Disappointing sequels happen all the time, but people got super attached to “their shepherd”. People spent like, 5 years theorizing and thinking about all these hooks in the first 2 games so of course people are gonna be pissed if you fumble the payoffs and make a bunch of dumb retcons.

I think it's a victim of EA's mismanagement more than anything else. What they were trying to do wasn't actually that ambitious, they just hosed up the third entry in a trilogy by not giving it enough dev time or resources.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Apocalypse Now! also took for granted the fact of Vietcong chopping off the arms of innoculated children, which was a lie some CIA guy made up for his memoirs.

that's a story one of the characters tells, how is that 'taking for granted'?

KURTZ: the horror, the horror1

1: Not actually horrible

e: that is interesting tho, i didn't know it was an actual apocryphal story, some good discussion

sebmojo has issued a correction as of 23:34 on May 15, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

change the thread title to this

drat horror queefs posted:

Man of the Pac. Seek dots. Seek greater, more powerful dots.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
pac chat got me revisiting championship pac man and it is good as hell.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DrManiac posted:

They couldn't figure out how to explain why humans only Cerberus was evil and just said oh they got mind controlled

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
many of the horror stories attributed to north Vietnamese treatment of POWs are true, but were actually perpetrated by south Vietnam against its own political prisoners

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

still just lol that pow mia flags exist and are ubiquitous and exist to cover up how appealing deserting to north vietnam was for many troops

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
started RE:Village. i survived the first mass thingy but barely by running around with benny hill music playing while i keep jumping through cracks and routinely getting stabbed.

i hope i dont have to do that again but some weird old lady told me they're coming again. great

i was actually very surprised how well it ran with most everything maxed + ray tracing, but now suddenly my fps is dipping like 50-constantly and had to turn it off. no idea what happened but it was like a switch went off and performance took a poo poo

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

They couldn't figure out how to explain why humans only Cerberus was evil and just said oh they got mind controlled

i knew something was very wrong at bioware the instant i loaded up me2 and immediately was forced to work with the space nazis, keep a space nazi lady with a soccer ball rear end on my ship, recruit the people that the space nazi smoking man told me to recruit, etc. etc. lots of enthusiasm for rehabilitating the space nazis on the me2 writer team. i'll give me3 this, they did at least know that space nazis were bad even if they introduced a ninja space nazi that you're supposed to think is a ~badass~

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xaris posted:

started RE:Village. i survived the first mass thingy but barely by running around with benny hill music playing while i keep jumping through cracks and routinely getting stabbed.

i hope i dont have to do that again but some weird old lady told me they're coming again. great

i was actually very surprised how well it ran with most everything maxed + ray tracing, but now suddenly my fps is dipping like 50-constantly and had to turn it off. no idea what happened but it was like a switch went off and performance took a poo poo

you dont have to do that again dont worry. theres other stressful parts but the survival time trial is over

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Voice of Labor posted:

still just lol that pow mia flags exist and are ubiquitous and exist to cover up how appealing deserting to north vietnam was for many troops

I don't think it's that at all. It's just a jingoistic lost-cause-like rumor about how America didn't lose vietnam, it was betrayed by Jane Fonda, or whoever and they abandoned our troops.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Jazerus posted:

i knew something was very wrong at bioware the instant i loaded up me2 and immediately was forced to work with the space nazis, keep a space nazi lady with a soccer ball rear end on my ship, recruit the people that the space nazi smoking man told me to recruit, etc. etc. lots of enthusiasm for rehabilitating the space nazis on the me2 writer team. i'll give me3 this, they did at least know that space nazis were bad even if they introduced a ninja space nazi that you're supposed to think is a ~badass~

I mean, even if you choose not to genocide the space bug in 1 the game immediately informs you that all of her spawn are bad and makes you wipe them out with a bomb.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
You are playing what is essentially a space cop and therefore Shepard is fash regardless of your choices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Harry Shepard would own so much.