Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

"set in the Infowars universe"?

The best viral marketing campaign EVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

err posted:

openworld is loving trash

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I was like what the hell is this fuckin braid

It was braid

Jesus Christ was that game pretentious. Fun, but completely up its own rear end.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

smarxist posted:

that call to station 41 lmao, the whole precinct is roaring laughing about DICK MULLEN losing his loving badge

there are no voices, but i can hear it all so perfectly

My first time through, I was heavy mental stats, and when they asked where my gun was I decided to go with the encyclopedic response: Describe all the mechanisms and functions of the weapon. They burst into laughter, and all of a sudden the game clicked.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I picked up Stellaris and it was just too much spreadsheets. Civ is about the most complexity I can handle before it feels like a job more than a game.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

oxsnard posted:

weird because the spacial/army stuff in Civ is what gives me anxiety when playing. Stellaris feels almost like an idle game. I had it on in the background at normal/slow speed during work last week and it really didn't impact my productivity much

My big problem with the Paradox style is that it's overly abstracted. All the information is just a sheet full of numbers, and some go up and some go down and at the end of the day I find it hard to care about all these drat numbers. It's petty, I know, but I find it alienating.

With Civ, everything feels substantial. The cities are heavily abstracted, sure. But the terrain at least provide some sort of grounding.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Chard posted:

besides the WP scene what are some other gaming moments one might wish to experience for the first time again?

No joke, I was a big fan of blight town.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Maya Fey posted:

And It's MAde By A Goon

Wasn't Hypnospace Outlaw also a goon game? That was a drat fine game.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

the texan redneck in question is made-up and didn't do anything to the nazis. he is an imaginary character the game's authors wrote to be a white savior for the helpless jewish person. but mindlessly defending amerikkka when people criticize its portrayal in media because it got dragged kicking and screaming into doing a good thing almost a century ago is very "leftism activism" of you

As someone who lost a lot of family in those camps, let's not do this. The beauty of WW2 is people from all across the world came together and shot Nazis. If they wanna come from Texas, huzzah. If they wanna save some Jews, great. The Warsaw Uprising was proof: The tiny majority of horrifically oppressed persons were not capable of overthrowing the most powerful military in the world. It just couldn't happen.

Maybe there are some problematic aspects of the narrative, we could talk about those. But let's not pretend that concentration camp inmates were anything less than helpless, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to help those people. In fact, we should encourage it.

Cpt_Obvious has issued a correction as of 01:11 on Aug 10, 2020

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

As fun as it was, the death match format is dead forever. Counterstrike saw to that. UT tried to move towards objective based shootemups with their underdeveloped rugby style game Bombing rub, a kind of reverse capture the flag. It didn't work because the game wasn't designed that way.

Team Fortress has ushered in a new era of class based, objective oriented shooters, and I'm all for it. Overwatch did a great job picking up that mantle and providing a huge amount of diversity in play styles, so much so that the skills for one class may never transfer over to the skills for another.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Breakfast All Day posted:

eh, i really dislike the "everything is moba heros, skills and cooldowns" poo poo that defined a few years of gaming there

I dunno, it lets you have so much more variety than "dude with gun vs. dude with similar gun". OW has jetpacks and axes and tesla cannons and shields and silence and yes, a lot of guns. But, man, nothing burns me out faster on an FPS than realizing that no matter how many maps in how many modes with how many opponents, every loving player is fundamentally the same, and that makes every match you play feel redundant.

Admiral Ray posted:

A new UT and a new Tribes.

DO IT YOU loving COWARDS!!!!!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

That also ignores that everything in an FPS is already basically a cooldown: Your gun has a cooldown called reloading, your health refills on a cooldown, even your sprint can be exhausted in some games and refills over time.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

smarxist posted:

hero casts need to loving die, they're too restrictive and hard to balance, i don't care if it's a pretense to create 5,000,000 skins and baubles and bits and bobs to sell in loot boxes, i'm over it

the last shooter that had potential with a cast was maybe Dirty Bomb, but that faceplanted

just make loadouts ffs

Typical Marxist, obsessed with abolishing classes.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

They need to remake Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. That game was great.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

i'm almost done with pillars of eternity 2 and before i started the last leg of the main quest i was starting to get why people said it dragged on and on. the sea-faring bits of the game are underdeveloped given that sailing is your main method of travel. i like that they went into a different setting for the game than the standard sword and sorcery stuff and think they did pretty well with it considering that rpgs almost exclusively stick to castles and poo poo.

i think they missed a story hook, though, that would have neatly tied elements of the first game into the second and given a better motivation for the main quest.

we know Eothas is going to destroy the machine that manipulates the Wheel, but there's never a real reason for us, the player, to be for it. we know from the first game that souls have "identities" to some degree in the form of past lives, but it's never explained why. souls can be awakened and cause problems for the current incarnation, but this awakening process is haphazard.

the Wheel and the language around it evokes the imagery of a millstone, but it's treated as a simple reincarnation metaphor that lacks the expected processing. Eothas reveals that the gods maintain power by consuming portions of souls before they are reincarnated, but doesn't say that this has an effect on the souls themselves. in the first game, Thaos contends that the Engwithans created the gods because of the horror of a godless world. to do so they built machines to separate, process, and direct souls, gaining control over the cycle of reincarnation.

what if their Wheel, then, actually ground souls up completely? that it processed them into flours of memory, motivations, and identity? this would allow each god to consume only the aspects they represent and muddle up the people that could challenge them. there is no persistent you. you are whatever mix was poured into your body, done in about the same proportions as everyone else in the world. reincarnation as presented is a lie designed to hide gods' consumption and limit our power.

that's why awakening someone's soul to their past life is so dangerous and haphazard. it's not their past life. it's nobody's past life. it's a memory and reaction unmoored by context, raw and unfiltered, lacking the tempering done by actually being alive.

this would provide justification for Eothas' extreme decision to destroy the Wheel, even if that could lead to the death of the world. not only do the gods use us as mere tools, they engineered us to be pliable enough to use. they harvest us while telling us it's for our own good. they obliterate us in the afterlife to obscure any knowledge we might gain, eliminating our ability to challenge them.

it would also make your support or resistance to Eothas' plan feel more impactful. sure, we might be engineered, but things aren't so bad. who knows what life may be like after the Wheel is destroyed? maybe being engineered is better than that? the world has hummed along for 2000 years like this, after all.

Wow, Pillars really went off the rails after the first one. I mean, I know the head writer quit, but Jesus Christ.There is an actual, real world physical wheel? With a a machine? It's not a metaphor?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Big Mad Drongo posted:

It is literally a plot about metaphysical imperialism stacked on top of a plot about real life-style imperialism and it fucken owns, OP.

Basically,

I'll have to give it another try, then. I got only a few hours in and couldn't stand the sailing.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ok, I reinstalled POE2, and I remember what bothered me so much about it. Do I have to do all the fiddly little details? The food management, the crafting? Can I safely ignore those things without hamstringing my game?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Xaris posted:

it was decent but TM2 was the best

honestly TM games took a poo poo after 2 pretty hard. Black was at least better than 3/4 (which i still enjoyed) but it also felt a little too mid 2000s EDGY GRIMDARK BLACK

Driving a hearse in TM2 that launched explosive ghosts was so much fun. I remember trying the motorcycle vehicle, but I think it had a problem where if you drove too fast and used the special super missile you actually could outpace your own projectile, meaning you shot yourself.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

GC had some really great exclusives, but lacked any real diversity. It had a rather anemic catalogue, but the games it did have were real drat good.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

kids still play minecraft, fortnite isn't going anywhere

Minecraft is a coherent, well developed game. Fortnite is basically just a digital shopping mall with free laser tag. Maybe that has a longevity all its own in that people will be unwilling to abandon all the money they dumped into skins and dances.

Dunno if it's been posted before, but Folding Ideas actually did a really good criticism of it. Here's a time stamp of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPHPNgIihR0&t=300s

Edit: Better time stamp.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

i dunno if itll live forever but kids still love it. its survived apex legends and now cod taking away the serious gamer hype perfectly fine

I think that if Fortnite is going to continue in the avenue it's going, it will need to evolve further into a kind of "digital hangout space". It will begin incorporating activities like movie premieres, concerts (which it has already done), and sporting events within the space it has already created. Kind of like an internet chatroom or forum that would exist in a visual interactive medium similar to a game.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

This guy gets it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

E: fall of the samurai got good writing out of nowhere though. They've never had that back

Yeah, that trailer is still fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7TCFkdFr6g

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I should finish Sekiro one day, even if I just cheat the hell out of it

People are going to get angry at me for saying this, but lowering the difficulty in Sekiro is like skimming over the text in Disco Elysium.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Xaris posted:

tbf this is why i havent got it yet. i am genuinely loving awful at "rhythm" stuff, and really boss fights in Souls games are usually my least favorite aspects of it, like in Bloodborne (the best one) I usually had way more fun loving around exploring poo poo and slashing up demon thingies or mini-bosses than the actual boss-fights, although there were a few good ones and most were easy enough to brute-force. but having to play basically a boss-rush version of souls with heavy rhythm I figured i'd probably not enjoy very much.

i recognize my own limitation in that i have absolutely zero rhythm skills at all. shaking the loving baby in DS or Wii Party is even too much to ask for. maybe when it gets cheap enough

Yeah, I agree that the bosses were easily the worst part of the other souls games. However, in Sekiro they are the WHOLE game by design. I would not call Sekiro a souls game.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I see what you mean

though from dark souls 3 onwards I do disagree with the "fair challenge" assessment fans keep making about these games, like, there is a good deal of fetishization of difficulty that fromsoft (or miyazaki in particular) exploits like, a lot

Look, a lot of people are turds about difficulty. They tie their self-worth the their skill at video games, and therefore their ability to defeat difficult games makes them feel superior. Some people are just rear end holes.

However, loss and failure are uniquely important to an interactive media. Like, if you couldn't finish a book, that could be the failing of the book. Maybe it got boring or convoluted or something. But in a videogame, the struggle against the game could be part of the work itself. And it contributes to the themes of despair and triumph throughout the soulsbhorne games. Really, the difficulty is text.

As for the "fair challenge" idea, there's a lot of cheap and unfair deaths in every game in that series, but people just kind of ignore that because of the fetishization you're talking about.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

my game is so hosed and it’s only 951 A.D.

Whelp, Jesus isn't going around healing people's balls.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

So, I decided to fire up Disco Elysium again and start a tie run with 6 psy, and right now I'm trying to inspect the body while my tie and my volition argue over whether to get drunk. I've decided that I'm just going to do everything the tie tells me to do.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Holdfast

There's a ton of videos on this channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnUYpZT0-KU

SUCK THEIR COCKS! THE ULTIMATE DISPLAY OF DOMINANCE!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jesus, imagine caring this much about how other people play a game.

Like, I get it kinda, playing against people far better than you can suck. Sometimes you get whooped so bad that there's no learning or fun at all, and that goes for every competitive game since the dawn of time. It's literally where the term "dunked on" came from, and that's why there's ranked matchmaking in the first place.

But you don't make a loving video about how NOBODY is allowed to be good at anything. Just play other people at your skill level.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mackers posted:

Enter the Gungeon is free now on Epic. Def pick it up if you haven't played it to death already

I have it for console, but I guess I have it for PC now too!

Seriously, it's a great pick up.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gods Trigger is also free right now on Epic Games. Is it any good?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

btw if there any good economy games to recommend please do so except anno 1800 because while I think it is a very good game it starts to annoy the poo poo out of me after a time

(I think it is the feeling of playing island tetris instead of actually just dealing with the economy)

Does Frostpunk count?

Post apocolyptic frozen hellscape where you found and manage a city surrounding a massive coal furnace that you must keep constantly supplied with fuel or else everyone will freeze. Gets a little preachy, but generally fun and tense.

It's kind of like Sim City but you try to keep everyone from dying.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

miniscule12 posted:

Too bad china will ban video games in like six months.

Videogame addiction is actually really widespread in China. If they were going to outlaw it, they would have done so already.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Was the Witcher Netflix series anything like the game? Cuz that was like a full on fascist propaganda fable.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

etalian posted:

The Witcher games and books tend be more cynical and anti-authoritarian than anything else.

Especially in the books how absolutist monarchists are really portrayed in a positive light.

Man, that episode with the porcupine knight was like, full on, in support of women as property (also pedophilia). And the constant theme of punishing anyone with the slightest bit of innocence because of manly tough choices that must be made. I watched the show and made a full on rant as to how insane the fascist themes were, I dunno if they are relevant to "gaming" but I can dig them up.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

i really didnt like how they turned TV geralt into a jock bully when the entire point of his book character is he is a sensitive flower with a rough exterior who instantly likes anyone who doesn't treat him like total poo poo

the early short stories are all about dandelion being annoying but geralt just being really thankful for having a friend, and they get into all kinds of heartwarming wacky bro adventures

TV geralt punching dandelion hard in the stomach for being an annoying nerd makes him a completely different character

Is dandelion the bard? Because in the show he exists only to be wrong. Like, that's his job, being wrong, to be a foil to Geralt's strong cool guy who just hates the fact that he always has to kill everyone always.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

pentyne posted:

The first episodes are pretty rough, the show doesn't really get interesting/good until you get to Jaskier and Yennefer as part of the show. Without anyone possessing energy/charisma to bounce off of Cavill's Geralt he's pretty boring.

Oh, man. That date rape orgy scene was just ten kinds of :psyduck: as an introduction to a protagonist. Like, wtf were they thinking trying to paint Yennefer as anything but a horrific tyrant after she mind controls a mass of people and forces them to gently caress each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

big 👁️ energy from netflix these days

I dunno, I really enjoyed Umbrella Academy.