Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you can also have your founder do solo burglary to build up juice. as long as you're never caught you won't get a rap sheet but you'll gain mad stealth skills and juice up to level 2

this dovetails nicely with making a police uniform and wandering around the police station to build up disguise skills. your founder should be a squeaky-clean super-social lawyer ninja, then you recruit other social types to be your cell leaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Castlevania harmony of Dissonance is good

I was going to play Aria of Sorrow as my non-rpg/rpg-ish GBA game but it looks like I'm getting a physical copy soon so I might just wait until that arrives

the key situation in harmony of dissonance is so dire but otherwise it's good

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

there are two keys that you get at like the end of the game which open up all of the shortcuts around the castle

if they were available earlier the game would be a lot better

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Phi230 posted:

There's a story to be told of all the wargame/sim devs getting bought up and then killed.

Like there are entire genres and types of games that are either dead or kept alive by one or two studios.

Subsims are dead, flight sims are close to dead, mechwarrior is close to dead, the sims would better off being dead, space 4x games are almost dead. Rts games are rightfully dead

City builders were endangered species for a while until recently

I was thinking that a game like simcopter would never be made today. Or even spore, regardless that it was an epic flop/disappointment

real city builders that present you with some level of pushback that you have to plan against are still dead

simcity 4 was the last gasp

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SpaceGoku posted:

konami mostly went into pachislots yeah

just in time for the pachinko industry to start dying because everyone would rather gamble on jpegs of anime girls in mobile games instead

loving konami letting the goemon franchise lie dead for two decades...smh

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

its completely insane that anyone buys bethesda games. they're not even good compared to games from 20 years ago. the CGA wasteland game had way more depth

morrowind is good

and oblivion with 300 mods is reasonably entertaining

skyrim is unenjoyable imo

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Morrowind was good, people jumped for Oblivion which sucked, but in a pretty funny way, and after that I don't really know. Fallout 3 looks like its dogshit but millions of people bought it.

fallout 3 is hollow. the game world is too small and lacks variety. without mods everything is tinged a horrid piss-green. as a platform for modders to improve, it's not awful tho

but there are so many better games to play that you should really just never play it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

morrowind wasn’t even that good except that you could break the game. which to be fair gives it a lot of points.

it's the lore and the culture man

the dunmer are one of the most strongly characterized fictional fantasy species ever created. the experience of wandering around a truly alien place dreamed up in a peyote trip, but mixed with intrusions of standard fantasy tropes, and then given life completely overwhelms the fact that the unmodded gameplay is mediocre

oblivion and skyrim ought to have leaned into that. cyrodiil should have been the weird aztec-y jungle with bloodthirsty cults of the divine competing with each other for dominance that all of the prior lore had established it as, and then skyrim being a bit more standard-medieval would have been tolerable

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dreddout posted:

Xbox couldn't support jungle

They retcon everything cool I don't see any vampires that live in the bottom of frozen lakes in skyrim

more accurately, xbox couldn't support jungle in the hot pile of poo poo that is gamebryo

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

trump

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

I dont know anything about spelljammer other than its got big old age of sail ships that are magic so thats probably the best setting

yes

it is

this is a spaceship

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

king of dragon pass is fun but i suck poo poo at it

you're not supposed to be good at it

being good is in fact specifically opposed to the orlanthi philosophy, given that it makes you a foul god learner

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

hifi posted:

i remember giving up on zeus master of olympus after i found out there were pretty much ideal city layouts

eg,

would you believe that literally every other game by that company has the exact same optimal grid??

doesn't matter whether you're playing pharaoh, caesar, or zeus, you're locked into an engineer's idea of a good city plan

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Andrast posted:

do not play MMOs

play city of heroes

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

the decline in quality of writing between morrowind and oblivion/ skyrim was remarkable.

voice acting murdered rpg dialogue

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dean of Swing posted:

Remember how half of it was aliens going "gooba gaba."

extremely racist to slander gabbagool this way

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Xaris posted:

because your typical gamer nerds will obsessively grind and OCDishly complete everything before doing main stuff and then complain big time when they just waddle in and everything dies and day game 2 ez 6/10

most games solve this in some ways. for example, Witcher 3 makes it so main quests give you 95% of the entire experience and doing side quests is <5%, so you don’t over level and grind2win by doing side content

latest rear end creed have level scaling but it’s more limited and some content doesn’t really scale or scaled into bins. I still think it kinda sucks but the way levels work means they have to because you’ll go from getting 1 shot and taking 500 hits to kill trash to being able to take 500 hits and 1 shot everything within a span of a couple levels. generally does not detract from the game for its existence

yeah but this is solved in different ways depending on the exact genre

bethesda games are better with a semi-static world that has safe and dangerous areas. modding oblivion to tone the level scaling way down while introducing naturally dangerous areas of the map is one of the most critical improvements you can make to that game for example

(although oblivion literally needs a solid 200 mods to be anywhere close to "good" including around 20 different things that fix crash bugs in their piece of poo poo engine)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cloud transforming into an anime prettyboy is the dumbest poo poo

cloud is a know-nothing hick from the sticks who's into truckin' & fuckin'

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

euphronius posted:

the cosmos mod is a .7z file so rip playing that.

7zip is real and strong and is your friend

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Calibanibal posted:

Reincarnated As David Bowie's Sweaty Underwear From Jim Henson's Labyrinth (1986), Nani??

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

atelier morgan posted:

im a big fan of the isekai subgenre that has afaik not yet ever made the jump to anime despite thousands of stories that is aimed directly at women and is less power fantasy and more fantasizing about living in a world we they aren't completely alienated by capitalism and can have a loving family, romance, and sometimes work that is actually fulfilling like healing people or w/e

usually because they're rich nobles ofc

i also enjoy the wandering inn

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

pokemon was only ever hard if you were a stupid kid who didn't understand that the money they give you in every section of the game is intended to be spent in its entirety at the next town instead of hoarded, there's no payoff at all to money hoarding early on

actually this goes for most jrpgs because they all have broken as poo poo economies

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

a.lo posted:

what makes Shadow the “Ultimate Lifeform” isn’t what we think it is? It’s implied that he has this title because he’s supposed to be this ridiculously powerful living weapon. And yeah I’m sure that factors in because the ARK WAS designed for producing weapons of mass destruction

BUT

Shadow’s primary purpose had been in trying to create a cure for Maria’s illness. Regardless of whatever front Gerald had to put on to get clearance to the ARK’s resources, the goal was curing a terminal and otherwise incurable disease. So what if his “Ultimate Lifeform” status simply meant that he has an immunity to any form of disease? Hell that could be where his supposed immortality comes from too. Maybe his cell replication doesn’t degrade over time like it does in a normal person, so he doesn’t physically age, making him functionally immortal but not necessarily unkillable.

Or hell, he’s a chimera of two species that literally should not be compatible with each other, created through genetic engineering. Maybe he’s the “Ultimate Lifeform” simply because he’s something that’s biologically impossible to exist in nature

he's a hedgehog buddy

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Kreia was right to want to kill the Force. You're spending the whole game in the wake of a conflict that was decided by Force users, and the reason you're a hole in the force is because your side did one of the galaxy's greatest atrocities just to defeat the Mandalorians. The Light Side and Dark Sides are diametrically opposed philosophies which are impossible to resolve through dialectics. They wax and wane, but in their wake are wars and tyrannies that leave billions of bodies scattered across history. The galaxy would be objectively better off without a bunch of people who have the power from birth to choke you out with a thought.

kreia is not against the force as a philosophy or a religion, or even a means to power

she wants to kill the force, like, the actual consciousness of the force, because it loves to set the galaxy up as a struggle between light and dark no matter what anyone does to avert the struggle. if you look at it more metatextually she really wants to kill the star wars franchise - she wants to end the contrived conflicts that constantly wrack the galaxy and which only exist to serve a purpose in a narrative

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

they should make a game that has the tone, themes and aesthetic of kotor 2 and have it not be star wars

it's such a specifically targeted attack against the very idea of star wars tho. everything about it is intended to make a player that's extremely engaged with the star wars EU material think twice about all of their preconceptions towards what "star wars" is, and should be, and whether it's worthwhile in any way to continue telling stories of jedi vs sith while ignoring the consequences these stories would have for normal rear end people who have to share a galaxy with lovely space wizards

i guess you could do a targeted deconstruction of a bunch of franchises with a similar tone and theme but they would turn out very differently depending on the target

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

euphronius posted:

they had a cool world in Mass effect and blew it all up for no drat reason

mass effect's setting would have been much better used in a star trek style game. fart around the galaxy doing a bunch of episodic stuff basically. but bioware can't tell stories that aren't "epic"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

can't tell stories without obvious genocidal antagonists or we might have to express some kind of opinion about problems in society

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

Healthy young child goes to Sega, plays massive amounts of Sonic, doesn't feel good and changes - AUTISM! Many such cases!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nichael posted:

who in c-spam currently plays the other bad spaceship game, eve? I'd like to play again but the only people I'd know would be c-spam people.

i played eve during the election but stopped when i ended up just wanting to sit in jita and trade while shitposting

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

in eve number really is good and easy to win because people are impatient morons but unfortunately this experience infects you with capitalist qi

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Calibanibal posted:

pikachu (the cop pokemon) evolves into raichu (the war criminal pokemon)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Calibanibal posted:

yes i understand that 'canonically' growlithe/arcanine is the cop pokemon (note that ash's rival gary has an arcanine) but im asking you to move beyond the canon and contemplate the real narrative

much like cop dogs irl, all growlithes are good dogs who don't know what they're doing

pikachu is a fuckin cop

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Al! posted:

just one to skip the long rear end intro sequence

what the gently caress is it with bethesda games and long unskippable intro sequences

bethesda only knows how to make one game

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wait wasn't carmack always a libertarian

carmack is a stallman just without the toe lint

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the only story doom should have:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

I'm playing all the good castlevania games, so SOTN onwards, and gave up on SOTN because it's lame to wander around a huge castle and get lost, and then get throat hosed by fishmen.

circle of the moon motherfucker

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

what the gently caress, are you skipping circle and harmony entirely???

you're doing castlevania wrong buddy

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Terminal autist posted:

Holy poo poo dont listen to the other posters play aria and skip the other gba games. They're good games but aria is so much better and a more streamlined sotn its my personal favorite castlevania

aria is definitely what you want to be playing if you really like sotn and want more

personally i really like the gameplay of mixing traditional belmont/whip stuff with the map exploration whereas the series moved away from that over time, so i recommend cotm & hod over the others even though this might be objectively wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

I hope I get to join a radical pokemancipation force

team hammer & team sickle