Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
It’s been too long since I played it to be specific, but The Surge is a relevant CSPAM game in light of Amazon seeking to conquer the world. It takes place in a resource-scarce future where Not Amazon control everything from household products to a cutting-edge research project that they believe will save the planet. This doesn’t work out for reasons I won’t go into and you explore the trendy headquarters where demented cyborg workers — the victims of the project’s failure — stalk the offices and warehouses in murderous rage.

What it’s really good at is presenting an eerie endpoint to the ways major companies pervade the lives of workers. Why not sleep at work? Why not take a vacation at our very own Not Amazon theme park? Why not have mechanical limbs attached to your body to improve efficiency? The madness of the workers is explained by a simple plot device, but in a metaphorical sense it’s also a sort of mass case of going postal in face of horrible business practices.

It’s also a good take on Dark Souls gameplay. Much better than Lords of the Fallen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

rdr2 lets you beat a nazi to death and the copper just stands there and watches
cool bug

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Valve is a nice response to the argument that capitalism inspires people to be creative and innovative.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

People call GTA5’s writing juvenile but I appreciate its acidic hatred of everything about American society.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

One game that deserves mention is Mother 3 / Earthbound 2 :negative:

Critique of capitalism rolls strong with it. Avoiding spoilers, the town where you start has no money, but an malevolent outside force introduces money and things to buy money with. This force also does hosed up/hilarious things to animals and people, modifying them to be "better"

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Bro Dad posted:

lol just remembered that whole templar plot in rear end creed unity was to discredit revolutions by doing the terror and september massacres, as opposed to the good revolutionaries like mirabeau and napoleon

also ALL the jacobins are evil templars, including the random civilian you murder for the crime of being opposed to the war
How do they explain the revolutionaries being Templars when their entire creed is based around maintaining power and order?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

etalian posted:

Witcher Thronebreaker is really good since you can execute smug elves.
I was playing Witcher 3 last night and there’s a racist as hell elf who’s disgusted that the once pure elder blood resides in Ciri. Ciri and Geralt get mad and trash her laboratory to cheer themselves up.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

This thread is three days old and exceeds the cspam book thread by 90 posts.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

How do I play Crusader Kings 2 woke?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I'm Pictland (Scotland) and turned off Sunset Invasion.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Is This War of Mine a proper game or more like Papers Please?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i deeply resent this use of the word 'proper'. i get what you mean, but, no
I don't mean it disparagingly, I'm just not in the mood sometimes for games light on gameplay. I like Papers, Please, but then there are others (Pony Island) that I can't stand.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

They couldn't play the Metal Gear Solid theme from 4 onwards because it was found to be plagiarized from a Soviet composer's work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_v7t2p7FR0

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I was once worldwide 18th at speedrunning the tutorial in Call of Duty 4 :smuggo:

Then people hacked the leaderboards with 0.00 times and it was pointless.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

LISA the Painful is a fantastic Earthbound-inspired game where you set out to rescue your daughter from psycho rapists in the post-apocalypse. It’s twisted and funny and the music is cool.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

COMRADES posted:

I still need to play Pillars 2. Will it sate my piracy or is that just advertising? Will play it either way just wondering.
Aside from ship battles, which are a fairly dull text-based minigame, you can behave like a pirate in a bunch of quests and events and there’s also a league of pirates you can join. Your crew sings sea shanties!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

“It’s a door - use it!”
“That’s a door?”

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

The Crotch posted:

Shockingly, it turns out that "two big, clumsy ships take turns firing projectiles at each-other from hundreds of yards out" doesn't necessarily make the most exciting gameplay.
IIRC AC: Black Flag actually did a good job of it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

ShriekingMarxist posted:

lol, i just remembered the first time i realized you could just run/jump and do laps around the first city (Balmora?) to ratchet up your athetlics/acrobatics skills
My biggest disappointment with Oblivion was they curbed the power of jumping.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

The thing for me about Bethesda games (the Elder Scrolls’ and Fallouts 3 & 4) is that I’ll play the poo poo out of them once and feel no desire to ever play them again. I’m just finishing up a second playthrough of The Witcher 3, I’ll probably play Horizon Zero Dawn again someday, I’ve already played Breath of the Wild twice, but with Bethesda games there’s nothing I’d like to experience again. It could be that discovering the world is most of what I like about them and all you’re left with after that is cardboard storytelling and trite mechanics. They also seem to age rapidly.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Putting aside the quest bloat and simplified combat, Inquisition has a solid cast and plot and the areas were beautifully crafted. It kicks 2’s butt and has a better story than Origins. I don’t get the hate.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

cargo cult posted:

oh yeah they hid the real ending of the game in DLC which i refused to play after the total slog the main game was. if you think about BG2 like every plot development or encounter with irenicus or his flunkies like the vampires takes place in a unique environment with its own side stuff, like spellhold, the drow city and hell.
The real ending excited me about the prospects for a 4th game which unfortunately we’ll never get.

I agree the main villain (Cyranthhhdus or whatever) did suck.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I'm playing Blood & Wine now and love Geralt having no patience for the niceties of chivalry.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

etalian posted:

It's also great how you start the DLC with a jump-start option with a upleveled character instead of having to retrieve a old save.

also the zany quests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jykVfmW3GUw
Also the case of the stolen testicles that can end with the old man dying from too much sex.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

etalian posted:

gaunter o'dimm is a really awesome villain along with the sort of funny bits where he shows up in random cameo roles throughout the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKGmZN06lBI
He's fantastic. Unassuming features and a puckish sensibility masking a deeply sinister force. He's diminished slightly in my eyes by the "hee hee hee, you must solve my riddle" ending.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

the peasants also are rightfully scared of witchers because they reach video game character levels of stupendously lethal
I was so glad there was a quest in Blood & Wine acknowledging this. Geralt is sent to investigate a witch who put a curse on someone and she only agrees to help undo it if he gives her a lock of his hair so she can render herself invisible to him forevermore. She knows who she's dealing with.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Does the elven branch of Witcher 2 warrant a replay? I've only done the Roche branch.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Mage 9/11 was cool though.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

etalian posted:

Gaunter O'dimm did nothing wrong
His punishment for spoon lady was C-SPAM justice.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Just a pet peeve, but I don't like when hbomberguy reads with emotional emphasis from his script - it's FALSE.

Also, I wish all these people would release their essays in a readable format because it's easier to figure out whether they're worth your time.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I played STALKER last year and the atmosphere holds up. The enemy AI is pretty smart and makes for some fun skirmishes.

That red forest was cool but cruel.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

RTwP is good!!! I like assessing the battlefield as chaos unfolds.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

cargo cult posted:

spiders are ok i just hate things that undulate. snakes are fine though lol. so no worms or centipedes
You should be fine for both games.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I forgot how much maudlin drama there is in MGS2. Otacon’s subplot has nothing to do with anything. Rose and Raiden’s convos are cringe. Just talk about the drat Patriots please.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I’m mentally blocking out 4 while I replay 2 & 3 because its revelations about the Patriots, Ocelot, Big Boss and your pals in 3 are a complete farce, like Kojima is Charlie in the mailroom in Always Sunny.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

MizPiz posted:

Ocelot tricking himself into believing he's possessed by a Liquid Snake through "his surgically attached arm" is really the only logical end point for the character
The way better explanation is that Ocelot inherited The Sorrow’s ghost genes which allow Liquid to possess him via the arm.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

MGS2 doesn't have much of an answer to the Patriots' argument that the digital age slows progress through unregulated information overflow and thus needs steady control. Snake vaguely says believe what you want to believe and pass it on, which doesn't address their point. The music and creepy voices tell me the Patriots are bad, but they're not entirely wrong, even if they probably can't be trusted with what they set out to do.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Yinlock posted:

their argument is kinda correct but it's also bullshit they're spouting to cover their own asses
How do you mean?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Yinlock posted:

the volume of information isn't the problem, it's the elites twisting it to fit their own ends

they're just making things worse
At the same time, they address a real problem in the proliferation of information giving rise to an overwhelming number of people thinking, for instance, that any reality inconsistent with their beliefs is fake news or that Russia controls America. However these lies are fed by elites on both sides of politics for their own ends. So the Patriots recognize a problem with the Internet but aren't themselves the solution to the problem, I guess. You can't have a curator of information who can't be corrupted or even operate with a reliable idea of what deserves to be preserved or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I don't give a poo poo what happens to Bethesda, I just hope Arkane and whoever makes Wolfenstein and Doom land on their feet.