Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I’m branching out to new threads now that Trump’s out. That being said I’m playing Trails of Cold Steel 3, and I’m too early in to to judge, but I’d really recommend playing at least the first one if you at all like turn based RPGs as it has numbers that tick up in a super good feeling way, especially once you get to a point where you’re getting huge xp bonuses once you get used to the battle system. Also the first 2 games explore class dynamics in a surprisingly competent way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

MoaM posted:

Maybe instead of replay Ys VI one of these days I'll do that series instead.

I got Ys VIII on Switch for Christmas and I need to get into that at some point as well. I played like an hour and it seems neat.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Shear Modulus posted:

what's the least bad "gaming" podcast

Insert Credit is the last gaming podcast I’m subscribed to, and it’s pretty good. Idle Thumbs was good too but they stopped doing it when the creators started Campo Santo and got bought by Valve.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

Try the SaGa games if you like weird old-school JRPGs.

I second this and specifically Romancing SaGa 3 is a good starting point into the series.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I listen in to Giant Bomb when they do their game of the year and last year they did some weird format where they listed and described every game they played that year before doing any awards. It was awful, and I think they did 3 3+ hour podcasts before actually doing any awards.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Taintrunner posted:

They changed the format back this year to a regular award system.

Yeah I listened to the first one from this year for a bit, I like ranked lists for some reason. I’m just baffled by that last year format; I think the thought was you wouldn’t have to talk about games up for multiple awards multiple times?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

C-Euro posted:

I really liked that format actually, as someone who doesn't play many contemporary games these days it's nice to get a year in review so I can know what to pick up later on. Conversely, I don't care much for the actual awards talk because there's rarely a personal preference on my end and I can't relate to the vast majority of what they're talking about. But I still listen to them because I have podcast completionist sickness.

Anyway, all my gaming time these days is devoted to Hades with occasional detours into grinding daily quests in MTG Arena. Hades rules but I'm on a three-run streak of losing to the final boss in pursuit of that first clear. Someday!

I used to listen to them all the time and then when Dan Ryckert left I fell off, but yeah as someone else said I’m mostly into GOTY pods to hear people bargain their random rear end games into the list to bump others off.

I wish MTG Arena was a little more generous to people who want to not have to play every day. I even put like 30 bucks into it at some point and I definitely didn’t get much out of it because I don’t play that often. I mostly play Pauper on MTGO.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Truga posted:

re: MTGA, i played MTGA for a bit over 2 months when eldraine was the hot new poo poo

in that time i managed to make decent enough mono green and black decks that took me up to mythic in constructed (i'm bad at draft and as such it'd cost me tons of money to play and lol @ giving wotc cash), and had a shitload of fun

MTGA is easily the best way to play magic by a mile. the client's decent enough, has a nice atmosphere to it, the queue is mostly instant, and games go by quick.

Yeah that stuffs all great, but I don’t want to grind my deck together. I’ll come back when I can play pauper (or modern if it’s affordable) and buy singles. Which I know probably won’t happen.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Oh Doom 64 was on the Insert Credit GOTY list and I think if you haven’t played it it was ported to every console for 5 bucks this year and it’s really good.

It’s kind of just a Doom wad made by not ID people for the N64 but the levels are really good.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

triple sulk posted:

don't give wotc your money imo

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

smarxist posted:

i have a dumb question about souls games: how many times are you meant to beat them, like, what's the average length of the game?

it feels like people talk about playing it and runs like it's a roguelite where you play/beat it 50 times plus, but these are long assed games no?

I’ve finished 1 twice and after you’ve beat it once it takes like a quarter of the time to beat it again. Also if you want all the lore it takes even longer because you end up reading a lot of item descriptions and whatnot.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

new kind of cat posted:

yeah this is me picking up an old save and trying to clear the drat game once. as of this morning only had bed of chaos, manus, and then last boss Gwyn,
but my patience is thin and i dunno if it’s worth it lol.

Don’t tell anyone, but I never beat Manus and I don’t care to. You can finish the game without it.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I wish the Switch version DQ 11 ran and looked better docked. It’s so blurry and my favorite thing to do in that game is look at the finely crafted interiors of buildings.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i heard the hitman 3 on switch was streamed video

Does this mean it’s unplayable when the servers get shutdown 10 years down the line?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Honest Thief posted:

hooked my ps3 back up because it's still a great media server and been playing some games i dropped out of like yakuza dead souls. let me tell ya, i'd forgotten how many sub-HD games there were and how everything ran at low 20s in the best case scenarios
dualshock 3 was the best though

PS3 is hands down my favorite console. The PS3 store has weird PS1 and 2 gems for days.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Honest Thief posted:

i have 10+ accounts because of psn game sharing and cant even recall the pwd for any of them
sony killing the webstore for it and the vita was such a dick move btw

You can still access it from the console itself, for how long I don’t know. I was just on it last night so I could pick up Person 3 FES before it’s gone for good.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Just found the Nordic town in DQ 11. Every town in the game makes up for any misgivings I have about it.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

You didn't like the Haiku town? That one was my favorite, but yea DQ11 is def one of the best installments of the series.

I like all the towns. The only one I found a little wonky was the layout of the mma town. I have weird little misgivings about the game in general, like the overworld feeling kind of sparse.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

DQ11 is fantastic, just got to act 2 and past the uhhhhhhh Jade section but its surprising how well it lends itself to being put down for a bit and picked back up. I'd probably be binging it FFXII style but welp, Stardew, you know how it is

Yeah, I started this play through like a year ago and because it’s a pretty straight forward turn based affair it’s always easy to go back to.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The architecture of Balamb Garden has stuck with me since I was really young. Final Fantasy visual design owns most of the time.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Who’s playing the Vault Boy?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

DoombatINC posted:

Every time I'm checking specs or benchmarks for some bit of hardware or another, regardless of the purpose of the hardware or the year of release, there's always a "here's how it handles CS:GO" section

I figured it was just being treated as a well optimized program whose benchmarks could give a decent measure of relative performance, but there's still a lotta real rear end people playing CS:GO every day huh

There’s really no game that does the same thing as CS. I would play it regularly if it wasn’t such a stressful experience to actually play with random people. It feels real bad to be the last one to die when you know every other team member is watching.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I had mentioned like a week ago that the Switch version of DQ 11 was a little too ugly, so I picked up a pre definitive edition copy for ps4 because they’re cheap and now I can’t put it down.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Sekiro is cool but it was just too hard for me, stopped at a boss called The Corrupted Monk. Just didn't have the patience

When I finished Dark Souls 3 the sheer amount of bosses with magic refilling health bars and multiple harder stages left a bad taste in my mouth and I fell off From Soft. Dark Souls 2 in my mind iterated difficulty wise perfectly, I don’t get why the games need to be harder every time besides toxic fans that expect it.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Gobblecoque posted:

overcoming a challenge can be a lot of fun

It was just more frustrating than the others for me. The upped combat speed is what broke me; I quit Blood Borne for the same reason. I did finish DS 3, but I don’t want to play it again.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I put 4 hrs in octopath traveller and I found the game mechanics to be pretty ok but the plot is bland so far. Is there any rpg on switch that has a half decent storyline but not too gnarly for the kids to watch me play.

No No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is super kid friendly, the battle system can be kind of meh but the towns are fun to hang out in and feeding your Pokémon buddies is fun. Also it’s gorgeous.

edit: I just thought I should mention that the beginning of the game features the very young protagonist dealing with the death of a parent.

TheMightyBoops has issued a correction as of 03:07 on Feb 3, 2021

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Yakuza Zero was 5 bucks on PS4. I knew almost nothing about these games other than that they have old Sega games in them and batting cages. Why didn’t anyone tell me it’s like Die Hard: Arcade but X 1000?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Hey Capcom: Tokimeki Memorial style dating sim but with tall vampire ladies. That definitely exists somewhere already, but make it a phone game or something. My consulting fee can be payed in Diet Coke with lime since I can’t find that poo poo anywhere since the pandemic started.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Also the worst part of being 5 4 in my experience is maintaining a healthy weight because you have less of a buffer as far as total lbs are concerned.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Buck Wildman posted:

welcome to the rabbit hole

Yeah I saw there was a collection of all of them for PS4, so I have a feeling that’s in my future; I really like good brawlers, and a 30 hour long brawler sounds like my dream.

Sleeping Dogs was also ok for this but I much prefer the Virtua Fighter style combat.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

JollyBoyJohn posted:

so very same, never owned a ps3 for some reason went to the 360 that era and to be honest MGS 4 is the only one I feel like I missed out on

It was the only way during that time to get games like Suikoden 2 and Xenogears for a reasonable price, but you could just emulate those I guess. Also weirdly enough you can buy every US released main line Persona game on it.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Atrocious Joe posted:

the trailer had mealworms crawling around in nurgle's mouth.

the least threatening insect around.

Nurgle loves all his children. It’s time for mealworms to have their chance in the spotlight.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

My first Yakuza game going in blind update: holy poo poo there’s a very detailed mahjong sim in this brawler and it’s got some pretty satisfying tile noises. I think I’m just gonna play mahjong until I got to bed.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

There’s so much smoke in this mahjong parlor I feel like I can smell it.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The Miracle Johnson storylines owned and completely fit in 1980s japan

I’m like 10 hrs into Zero right now and the game doesn’t even seem to be that silly, it has its silly parts, but the interesting thing about it is that it’s a game made by people who I assume lived in Japan before the economy imploded in the 90’s, so the most interesting parts to me are seeing those people convey what the setting was like to live in and what people were like during that time. Also they bolted some fun mini games onto it and the punching feels good.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

mastershakeman posted:

That's the absolute low point of the series

The good news is mahjong does in fact rule. If you don't want to do it just use a cyricz gamefaq to get cheat items

I wish the pandemic was over so I could buy a cheap mahjong set and just play with some buds. In college I played with a rotating group of people and drat is that the most tactiley satisfying game ever made.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Shear Modulus posted:

how does he keep getting funding for these absolute stinkers

On the Wikipedia page it says Quantic Dream gets a 20% tax break on all production costs. I bet they get grants from the government and whatnot too.

edit: Also exploitative labor practices.

TheMightyBoops has issued a correction as of 06:39 on Feb 4, 2021

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

pso 2-2 is coming exclusively to the windows 10 store

wasn’t PSO2 originally like this too? Maybe it will also get brought over to steam eventually, because I’m not paying for Xbox live gold for my PC and I assume a lot of others feel the same way.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

this is still a good game (the changes for 9 are awesome its like a very low budget open world superhero game in between some of the best ys dungeons yet due to the verticality and movement options being a team of superheroes give you)

its just written by complete morons

This makes me sad considering Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 didn’t have perfect politics but contained some good bits about class consciousness. I can’t speak to 3 and 4
yet because that’s another 120 hours of video games, so I’ll know by like next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Lol I’m playing Yakuza while the baby’s napping and someone on here told me to buy oranges, and I finally saw them at a convenience store, but because I try to play stuff blind I didn’t know what I was supposed to do with them. I bought like six and I tried eating one during the fight and tried eating one before, but nothing. Finally just now I was hitting a dude with a bike, it broke all the way down and I got the orange finisher by happenstance. Thanks to whoever mentioned that, it was real silly.