Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Yeah I also went the wrong way and thought, "Hmm no wonder people say this dark souls is hard, skeletons are wrecking my poo poo."

Because of its fearsome reputation I tried to suck it up and got repeatedly owned, but then eventually went the other way and it was much easier. Dark Souls 3 is great, what a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I think the classic experience loss mechanic of "you get one chance to loot your corpse and regain your EXP" is one of the best mechanics. It gives you a sporting chance but also it's pretty intense running back to your body since you're obviously invested. Also it kind of forces you to do better, or at least as good as your last run. Whichever japanese RPG designer thought that one up is a real legend. It probably goes back to 1980s rogue style games though, I dunno.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Asimov had some pretty decent short stories imo, The Dead Past is about what the world would be like if you could view the past. What if you could watch Pliny the Elder hike around and write about ancient poo poo? Watch the first contact of European settles and Native Americans? Maybe watch your dad get bullied in elementary school?

https://novels80.com/the-complete-stories/the-dead-past-993199.html

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

think that's just science fiction. if you can instantaneously teleport you might as well have it keep you intact somehow

or if it's not possible now, just wait until the next discovery and then, boom your quaint ideas are revealed to be comically primitive

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Oh I thought teleportation was strictly out of the realm of possibility to begin with. If Elon Musk has a teleporter cloner then yeah it's definitely killing your original :pressf:

It's cool to speculate about though!

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

teleporting drone bombs to third world countries, and facilitating amazon prime 0-day black friday returns

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

let's see uhh.... lemme get uhh.... omission gluten-free beer, pink caps please. and uh.... how about uhhh...9 jaegermeisters, several bombay sapphires in white opaque bottles, and a single 1.75L bottle of ezra books (hidden easter egg, may not be actual size). ok thanks

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Die-Hardman references being a man for whom it is hard to die

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

*Taps communicator badge*

ensign_threesome! To the bridge!

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I bought the ludicrously expensive xbox pro elite controller series 2, and the quality control is poo poo. I thought I could just buy one nice thing and it would last for years, but nope, same garbage assembly as a $25 amazon generic plastic controller.

Pro elite controller series 2 #1 - developed severe analog stick drift after about 1 month, sent it in for warranty and they shipped me a new one
Pro elite controller series 2 #2 - right out of the packaging the A button is sticky and fails to fire about 10% of the time. It's an obvious mechanical malfunction and the plastic button itself isn't quite the right size for the hole.

I'm gonna have to send this one back too, it's not just a simple q-tip with alcohol fix or "breaking it in" the thing is straight up borked, maybe I got a refurb as a replacement or something. Allegedly there are good ones out there and it does feel nice and solid with metal parts, too bad they are shoddily made and stupidly priced for idiots like me to purchase. 2/10 would not recommend unless you look forward to returning a product multiple times until you miraculously get a fully functional one.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Xaris posted:

thanks for being the ginneu pig there. i actually thought they looked decent and goons were auto-fellating themselves over them and i figured my DS4 is getting kinda old and bluetooth on it doesn't work well so what the hell, i might want to invest in a better one. glad i didnt

i won't lie, it feels pretty heavy and good in the hand, and I really want to like it. I'm an elite gamer and I expected a controller to fit my lifestyle, but this just didn't pass muster. Picture this -- you're playing stardew valley 1.5, harvesting crops (with boosted range sprinklers) in a horizontal path, but your A button just stops working. Maybe you're going for that legendary fish, and you miss your pull because you lost the A button lottery. You have a once-in-a-lifetime encounter with the Pursuer in dark souls 2, but your roll doesn't work and you get punk'd. This are the travails of the $180 controller. I'm not even kidding when I say the ripoff https://www.amazon.com/PowerA-Enhanced-Wired-Controller-Xbox-One/dp/B07DHY6YLM is superior. If I was in bill and ted's excellent ultimate gaming for your life against Death contest, I'd trust my life to Power A over this elite bullcrap. Again, I'm sure they could make it good and the parts could be good, but even xbonx rubes are talking about class-action lawsuits over this. I, for one, am outraged.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

More pro wireless elite xbox series 2 pro controller review - the d-pad is metallic feeling and very precise/clicky. This can be good depending on your use case. I decided to play FF6 T-Edition and the Sabin blitz combos felt a bit off. Precise, but stiff. I learned as a lad on a slippery membrane SNES controller so it was kinda weird, but if you're doing precision gaming like swapping characters in GTA 5 you may appreciate the single-push accuracy. I was playing SNES emulator so I was listening to "CLICKCLICLK CLICK CLICK LCLKCL CLICK" but perhaps if you were authoritatively single-pressing UP to change your prepared spell it would feel better.

e: is it within stastical probability that I happened to receive two substandard controllers? yes, absolutely. do your research and be skeptical.

palindrome has issued a correction as of 12:19 on Dec 23, 2020

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Meatboy owns, good amount of unlockables and alternate characters to play as. I enjoyed the soundtrack and the retro zones were generally interesting and nostalgic for me. It is pretty drat difficult and the fetus boss is dumb, but I appreciated how the game waited until the end to unleash the unfair/unfun levels. I dunno it's probably the hardest platformer I've had the patience for but it was a good ride.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I tried out Hades but I just couldn't get into it, for some reason the isometric action and dash-evasion just didn't click for me. I suppose it's cause I'm weird but I'd rather play Rogue Legacy if I wanted generational progression, Diablo 3 if I wanted to click on things and make them explode, or dark souls if I wanted to actually press a button and swing a sword while exploring a world. Or, ADOM/Dwarf Fortress for some real immersion.

Hades feels good and looks decent but I'm just not in the market for that kind of button-spam action. 9 year old me in an arcade would be pumping quarters into that thing but I just don't have another loot/ability treadmill in me right now. 2020 problems, I've lost the ability to enjoy pure things. For $20 I shouldn't expect too much. Meanwhile my friends and putting dozens of hours a week into it.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

The discerning collector has precision miniature phrenology calipers I imagine, so there's no way you could pass them off as generic mobster gangsters or whatever. These minis fulfill an important role in a _____________ campaign. What goes in that blank I cannot imagine however.

e: maybe it's cyberpunk 2077????

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

mastershakeman posted:

Have you tried a yakuza, dmcv, or tetris effect, those are my gotos for just sincere good times and emotions

I'd also recommend watching black dynamite, I just watched it and was delighted. Watch the eddie murphy dolemite movie first though

No I should try those out, I really loved dark souls since it was heavy on the action and pretty light on plot exposition, yet with an immersive world. I think one thing I don't like is going through pointless NPC dialogue, I still find video game writing worse than just about any work of published fiction so I'm constantly pressing A. I tend to read pretty fast and I don't like waiting for voice actors to spit out their lines with a quirky voice. So all that said I'm not sure if Death Stranding for example would be a good fit. I've heard DMC and yakuza are awesome though, and I spent a good amount of time GTA 5 without hating it so cheers, I'll give them a look.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

etalian posted:

So is the Battletech squad game any good?

Read that it has some annoying elements like a squad size cap and also slow plodding missions with annoyances like the AI getting unlimited hordes of troops.

Yes, as said above if you enjoy mech games and squad tactics it's really fun. There aren't tons of special moves but that's not really part of the genre anyway. Tons of customizable robots and some fun progression, you'll eventually get so strong that you'll trivialize most encounters but that's what happens if you keep building better pilots/mechs to their logical conclusion.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

void_serfer posted:

lol I love Hades because it's not those games you mentioned.

Welp. :unsmith:

Yeah rogue legacy kind of sucks but it scratches some itch, maybe its the bad 8-bit era art and 2D platforming, I grew up on megaman so that could be it. Diablo 3 has number go up at least but it's fairly tedious and overwrought so Hades is much better in many ways, I agree. I won't hear anything bad about dark souls, ADOM or dwarf fort though.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I got 100% of the Dark Souls 3 achievos and I basically never do that in games. Sen's is pretty annoying though, I think I gave up for a while too.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Ds3 achievements are some real tedious bullshit especially the get all rings one that requires reaching like ng++ and grinding the crappy broken covenants that practically require pvp that nobody by hackers do

DS3 is one of like 2 games I have ever got the 100% achievements on, and it was all legit. the covenants were tedious as hell, but beating ng++ nameless king was a ridiculous and appropriate finish. I didn't think I had it in me but guess what, with enough hours to pointlessly squander you can eventually beat a scripted battle in a video game.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

every jrpg's random encounter rate is too high and the mechanic is fundamentally bad

i resisted this conclusion for decades but finally caved after playing Octopath Traveller, the game that proves once and for all that the quality of the battles (very high in that case) is not the problem, it's still frustrating to be yanked out of exploring to do battles no matter how good the battle system is

yeah you're not wrong, random encounters tend to suck even in an incredible game like octopath traveller. here's how some of my favorite cult classics dealt with the random encounter problem:

FF6 - you could get the Moogle charm, which completely avoids all battles as long as you have certain party members that can equip it, or a relic that lets you equip any other relic. There's also a relic that merely "reduces" the random encounter rate but I'm not convinced it functions correctly, which is extremely odd since the rest of the game's coding is well-tested, airtight, and not prone to abuse, bugs or oversights.
Chrono Trigger - you can kind of see the random encounters on the map and possibly avoid some of them, unless you're playing for the first time or lack the surgical precision to dodge the mole-hills that have giant insectoids lurking within

I heard there were even some jrpgs where you could like... set your own encounter rate as a game mechanic? that sounds pretty good to me. If you reached a certain power level or obtained the macguffin, you could pick an encounter rate between 0% and 100% for certain areas.

palindrome has issued a correction as of 09:10 on Dec 30, 2020

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Maybe not all classics but here's my eclectic collection:

Contra III - The Alien Wars
FF III (FF6) "beyond chaos" if you like randomness, or "T-edition" if you like expanded tedium. not sure how much you like this game already though, so perhaps leave it off
FF 5 if you can't get enough jrpg. don't forget to practice for the 2021 four job fiesta
Gradius III
Secret of Mana 3 (sieken densetsu 3 or whatever)
Secret of Evermore
Super Mario All Stars - this really isn't in the classic collection?
Uniracers
Wario's Woods

games that aren't as good but I still enjoyed:
Metal Marines (weird grid-based strategy game, an island based proto-RTS with cruise missiles and battlemech landings, very tight timing and probably best with save states vs SNES classic, and I may be the only kid that actually rented this)
Ogre Battle, if you are a huge FFT fan
Robotrek, another odd jrpg plus robots
Knights of the Round - Final Fight-esque beat-em-up
Battle Toads & Double Dragon or The Other One
Breath of Fire I and II
Battlecars - MODE 7 racing like F-zero but what if outrageous and with janky weapons/upgrades?

palindrome has issued a correction as of 09:52 on Dec 30, 2020

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Durf posted:

oh man, just remembered this was one of the first strategy games where i immediately attempted a nuke rush only to be destroyed

also just remembered King Arthurs World which is a weird lemmings hybrid with catapults. can actually play it online:

https://emulatoronline.com/snes-games/king-arthurs-world/

hell yeah, go for broke.

sure it didn't work at first, but then you finally finish your nuke silo on mission 1 :getin:

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

DrManiac posted:

Might and Magic V is my favorite one in the whole series. you might want to download the unofficial 5.5 patch that balances a lot of poo poo though

https://www.moddb.com/mods/might-magic-heroes-55

Agreed, game is good and the 5.5 mod patch while slightly unfinished is generally the superior experience. It adds a lot of content and map generation along with balance fixes. The original unmodded version can be fun with wacky balance if that's your thing, but at least get the improved AI patch if nothing else, it speeds up turns tremendously.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I played d&d for years in college, then moved into a small apartment. I just bought a new table and moved it in front of the TV. Now I aspire to one day play gloomhaven, or maybe just some new 5e if gloomhaven isn't worth it. The draw for me is that it allegedly works with few players and no dm, which sounds perfect for quarantimes.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I got about 75% of the way though Dark Souls 2 and put it down years ago, finally coming back with SotFS edition and just rocking the hell out of everything with OP dark infused weapons and some residual systems knowledge. I got 100% achievos on DS3 in the meantime so going back to DS2 feels like everything is about half speed. The environment is still fun and deadly though. Great maps and level design overall in DS2. I don't care that the elevators don't connect or whatever, the environment does its job and the DLCs are an excellent capstone. I was getting owned a bit at the end of the Ivory King DLC so I was happy with the difficulty near the end. Plus this entry in the series actually has a compelling NG+ experience so looking forward to that. Kind of wishing I didn't bonfire ascetic some areas though, now that I plan to run them on NG+(+++).

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

OK, hear me out, what if Zelda 2 shakes thigns up by having more than one texture for being indoors

Zelda 2 is the Contra of NES RPGs, and I'm here for it. Badass game, even though it was loving off the charts. The genre was so young they could get away with flipping the script. I think I want A Link to The Past but with Zelda 2 vibes, where it's side scrolling PRG and poo poo. Let's throw in the moon crashing into the word time warp mechanic as well.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

smarxist posted:

zelda 2 is my favorite in the series because the combat is so loving fun once you get the upward/downward thrusts, flinging yourself at a metalknuckle's face and stabbing them a million times while bouncing off their shield RULES

also hear me out; Zelda: Symphony Of The Night

yeah man, good combat is good combat, and zelda 2 was ahead of its time. Smash Bros and others did a good job paying tribute to the pure fun of combat in those old games. More Link, more side-scrolling, more up-and-down-stab and special moves please.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

FFT posted:

the best Final Fantasy is Adventure

the best board game is Chess

More chain-flails are always welcome.

Chess is a good board game except that it is not perfectly balanced. Unlike the actual best real-time strategy board game, star craft: brood war.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

baba is very good, I just can only go so far and realize it's going to take more effort and trial and error than I'm willing to put in. Pretty similar to the zactronics games. I loved SpaceChem but it got complicated enough that I was like, "that's it, I don't have the ambition to work this hard to have fun."

That's on me though, and not the fault of fiendishly clever puzzle games! I remember beating a couple levels inadvertently and not completely comprehending the mechanic but everything is mostly presented as clearly as possible. Baba is the poo poo, I should pick it back up.

e: picked it back up since it's just an .exe, BOX HAS BOX was the answer.

palindrome has issued a correction as of 11:04 on Mar 5, 2021

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

haha, yeah same here. I was cruising along, enjoying the space theme, the writing, the story a little bit. and then I'm assembling assemblers on a macro level and had to throw in the towel. that's one more level of complexity than I bargained for. always great concepts from that guy/studio though. I met someone who worked on Zachtronics games or knew him personally at a party once, had a good chat.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I never actually played FF7 for more than a few hours, which version is a good and complete one? I see Steam has non-remastered, are there any meaningful balance changes or quality of life improvements for Steam PC over the PS1 disc version? Is remastered actually worth waiting for if I don't have nostalgia for the game or care about graphics?

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Cool, sounds good. Thanks everyone. Mod support is a nice feature.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I had no idea Total Annihilation: Kingdoms existed, what a way to end a franchise lol. Medieval RTS sounds fun but yikes.

I loved supcom mainly because it made an excellent LAN game, and you can kind of have fun with people of various skill levels unlike Starcraft or WC3 wish is just an unrelenting beatdown of the less skilled. Kind of like Counterstrike where every dog has his day, you can get one over on people in supcom once in a while even if you're not super good. But then again I looked at competitive play once and they only ever stayed in Tier1 so we clearly played it wrong base-building and teching up toward experimentals!

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

AND the beloved Cheep-Cheep character, original art from Nintendo do not steal.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

To me, wow classic was from a different era,.I should try to inhabit the same brainspace I had in 2004 tho, might do me some good. Of course back then I think my parents had an iMac and blizz used to simultaneously release games on both PC and MacOS, not to mention the value-packed battle chest opportunities you might find at retail outlets. Hell while I'm there I think I'd buy some apple stock, do they have a secondary AH where you can trade like it's the george w era? Good times but I don't know if I'm ready to face the battles of Tarren Mill again, gently caress mang. I lost some homies for real. Those were hard times. Maybe if they released servers that just had the burning crusade expansion and nothing else, I'd consider it but never actually give them any more money.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

never heard of valorant but do they have lootboxes, $2.50 lootbox keys, and absolutely fabulous StatTrak™ epic dragon sniper rifle skins? If so there may be money to be made.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Made a quick highlight reel of my PvP shenanigans during Return to Drangleic. It just uploaded so it's only 360p for the moment til the HD processing finishes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-tG_lZr7bk

Nice vid, good edits and action packed. My favorite is the R U Winning Son fight with the chameleon pillar, that's some good classic shenanigans.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I look back very fondly to the 16-bit RPG era so Octopath was pretty fun for me and my rose-colored glasses. It doesn't take too much grinding IMO, just pick 4 people that are the least annoying to you and go nuts. Great soundtrack, good visuals, classic if simple combat with a gimmick that's not too hard to figure out. The writing is hit or miss but I've suffered through worse. 8/10 rating, would travel about 6 paths again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Seeing a lot of Disco builds with either 2 or 4 in the skills. Is that just a reasonable way to balance the stats, or is there some min-max reason? I went with 5/2/2/3 for the first playthrough, considered taking a 6 in something.