Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

lol did the chapo voice work get scrubbed from the new edition of disco elysium? one of the main reasons I wanted to replay it was to hear virgil texas say hello gendarme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

fake jamaican pidgin being a default voice for not too bright can, in our current age, be blamed on george lucas and jar jar binks. I propose that the torches and pitchforks start there.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Shear Modulus posted:

is doom the first doom clone

does the barber cut his own hair?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

so uh is anyone playing disco elysium? it's a pretty good piece of interactive fiction

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

christmas boots posted:

you play a cop right? sounds like liberal trash

yeah and the union's depicted as hopelessly corrupt and as bad a capital and also less polite so it is unironically liberal trash, but the gatekeepers of resources and culture are lib trash so really everything that is allowed to get made is lib trash or acceptable to the standards of lib trash

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Evrart/fishing village spoilers-ish

Evrart could more explicitly voice some plan for the folks in the fishing village because as it is his goal is to gentrify them out of their homes and that's still bad
if he promised them housing in a new complex or something in exchange for their cooperation that'd be something at least but as it is it...

I swear there's a way to bring up the option in the spoilered text but I'm not seeing it this time around

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

my bony fealty posted:

the Mass Effect universe is the most boring, derivative, by-committee science fiction ever created and yet people will go to bat for it as this wowza big ideas creative thing

I remember the first one being kind of novel because it was scifi. really derivative poo poo is novel if someone is hearing it for the first time. I think it might've just found a wedge or created for itself a fanbase where it and, like, halo and star wars constitute the scifi experience

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

TheMightyBoops posted:

Something I’ve been noticing on Lost Odyssey is the game is really colorful, but everything sort of looks washed out and muted/grimy, is this just Unreal 3 and is that why there’s so many sludgy looking games from that time?

I think it's because the world is supposed to look old and lived in. at a metalevel I think the game's supposed to feel like an old book or an old map or an old photo

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

christmas boots posted:

there are people who thought ME1 had the best gameplay? Jesus lmao

where else you gonna maneuver a landing craft around mountain ranges that are almost 90 degrees vertical on the surface of planets that feel like they were procedurally generated but weren't?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

speaking of the barren wastes of 7th generation game design, what magic allowed portal to capture the zeitgeist so hard?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Battlefield 1942 came out in 2002 and Bad Company 2 came out in 2010

checkmate atheists :smug:

the you smell very clean line from the first bad company demo has never left me

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Epic High Five posted:

How about becoming progressively more pathetic and repulsive

spec ops the line allows for that and combat

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'm tempted to get a fancy gaming mouse so I can map one of the auxiliary buttons on it to "tab" so that I can play disco elysium in bed without touching the keyboard at all

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the moralintern thing, radioing the warship floating over revachol, is weird and doomed to fail. it's noteworthy that big brother will -immediately- send black helicopters if harry reports his findings on the pale intrusion. even more interesting is that it comes up that dolores dei was the voice of her city as shivers is the voice of revachol

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'm kind of tempted to do a cop run in de now. will kim put up with an endless stream of racist bullshit, or will he bail? will a merciless approach towards DELINQUENTS win him back?

it will never quite be a true cop run though because the base stat for authority is the same for empathy. logic and rhetoric also share the same base stat. making passive empathy and logic checks all the time would be very uncop

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

gonna have to reject the shades of self destruction. cop harry would never taint his body with drugs.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

hyperspace outlaw seems pretty dang cool so far. if you're gonna make a game about being an internet cop, busting a bunch of drawings made by first graders for copyright violation is a pretty strong start

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the mid 90's kid furries who can only lust after blocky polygonal anthropomorphic cartoon animals

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Jazerus posted:

if your brain is broken in exactly the ways goon brains are broken, you will never find a game that speaks to you more

for better or for worse

do you have to have been a homeschooled christian kid for the 100% effect?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Yossarian-22 posted:

guillotine this poster

felix goes from voicing a felix character (a vocal scab) to voicing the character that every felix character imagines themselves as being (a ruthless special forces operator)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Real hurthling! posted:

the new ending of nier is uhh the best thing ever. would recommend going for it

where's dad nier? I'm not seeing it on steam

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

my man I heard you are into anime butts in video games

*opens side of rain coat revealing 1/4 of the games on steam*

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

space harrier 2 was extremely tech demo. it got all the combat backgrounds while phantasy star 2 got all the good music

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'm torn between picking up a copy of the first borderlands game and playing through one of the earthbound games. can't really figure if I want to do the summer action blockbuster or the hipster indie movie

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

anarcutie has better music and is arguably more fun

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

having beaten hypnospace outlaw I find myself wiggling my mouse cursor in an attempt to get pages to load faster

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

enjoying the lack of hornyness in sonic mania so far but I'm only about 1/3rd of the way in

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there are a bunch of "doujin" games that run fine on old hardware. I only ever really went through the shumps but there are fighting games and platformers and run and guns too.

crimson clover's probably at the top of my list and is on steam. some of the astroport games are pretty good too, also on steam

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

giantbomb was that weird intermediary between old school media and the youtube/twitter/web 2.0 mess we're in now. I wonder what's going to be the weird intermediary between twitch streaming and drawings of mario boning yoshi on cave walls

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I tried to play hl2 again last year and found the levels, at least the first two, to be just way too long. the first canal run sapped any desire I had to keep playing

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Augus posted:

pac man rules gently caress you

pac man ce dx would be goty if it came out today. demonstrating that a lot of design is just standing on the shoulders of giants and having a deeper history of examples to draw from. ce dx couldn't have been done on pac man hardware, but I think the case could be made that it could've be done (with aesthetic differences) on, say a sega system 16 board. it wasn't the material hardware that was the deciding factor in it coming out in 2010 rather than 1987, it was the additional decades of people figuring out how to make games fun and interesting (mostly by having a greater mass of examples of boring dull games to learn from the failures of)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

does the new pokemon snap game have a dlc that replaces the pokemon with squisherz?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Bideo James posted:

didnt the metroid fusion game state some dude was like a brother?

nah, it was that the ai reminded samus of a bossy domineering boyfriend she once had who once spent the grocery money on a katana

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

reach is still an o.k. game. the first halo doesn't exactly hold up, but regenerating health and stuff was an absolute post modern deconstruction of the fps 20 years ago

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

christmas boots posted:

Honestly I thought it was a step from from earlier health pack based FPS games where you could get yourself into situations you didn't have enough health to survive.

or spending forever scouring the map for the last %10 health refill to give you just enough juice to finish the level. both approaches mess up the pacing, just in different ways. being able to play without getting hung up on memorizing the map is good, but I think first lessened the amount of and emphasis on finding hidden secrets and could be said to have paved the way for the mindless rigid linearity of the set piece shooter

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

genericnick posted:

The pale is also climate change though

I took it to be symbolic of the frontier problem. like at the dawn of time 0% of the world had been discovered by humans and then bigger percentages of it got discovered and it got to the point where the discovery was different groups of humans discovering parts of the world previously discovered by other groups of humans and now that there's a history ending global economy you don't have epicycles of discovery you just have one massive capitalism chipping away at a final 100% discovery. the pale is like that, a representation in flows or manifestations of memory that there's just no new ground to tread upon to the extent that there isn't even other peoples ground to tread upon

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Shear Modulus posted:

honestly i cant possibly explain the appeal of the cowboy/old west mythos. we all know it's significantly outlived the actual real-world historical sets out depicts in terms of years. i suspect it's simply due to it beng far more recognizable in it's historical proximity to the modern world vs samurai or knight-errant storytelling that it fully cribs from

part of it is that the western was one of the most dominant settings in american media for, like, 40 years. it was a common enough thing that we'll be getting throwbacks to it for generations. maybe the watchmen irony will bear out and the children of zoomers will be wondering why super heroes are so big in media when all they care about it their pirate vrs.

part of it, especially looking at red dead redemption, is that is the era of time where the archealogical stratification between pre and post industrial society is, where you can kinda draw a line in the sand and say that was like then and this is like now. that I think is always going to have some draw unless the post zoomer generation is just all about paleolithic settings and examining the moral conflicts that arise as tool use and agriculture overtakes eating dmt grass and bonobo all day loving.

it's also a time period that contains the peak of the guilded age so it's a setting that would good fit for games about class struggle and the oposition of inhuman capital and humans, ala once upon a time in the west or, like, zapata westerns or red westerns

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ronald reagan's life was bad and long. the new pokemon snap is good and short. like, it's not a ton longer than the first one. I have a feeling half the game's going to come via dlc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Zil posted:

good lord, 4 cheeseburgers and a basket of fries, what kind of person orders that meal?

the secret is that not everyone takes their meals alone. some eat with friends or family. what is an absurd amount of burgers and fries for one person is a pretty normal amount for four people or even two if they're really hungry