Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Pyrotoad posted:

Catra actually being a princess wouldn't solve any of her problems in my opinion - if anything, I think it would only make her feel even more vindicated in rejecting her.

oh definitely. Catra's going to keep doubling down, Entrapta's going to switch sides every time she's given half a reason, and Scorpia's going to keep doing whatever she's told by whoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Entrapta seems to me like the type to go "hey guys, what's up" then just keep on hacking like nothing happened when Adora & co have to go back to the the Fright Zone.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Speculation based on the original cartoon - an episode reveals there’s an underground city of “Magicats” that Catra infiltrates and tries to sway to the Horde/herself because she resembles their long-lost queen. Turns out her headpiece that allows her to transform is stolen magi-tech Hordak provided her and the real queen is imprisoned in the Fright Zone. She-Ra frees queen kitty and Catra is ousted.

Catra being a stolen princess/bloodline ala the Empire stealing force-sensitive kids to ensure they’re lost in Stormtrooper ranks wouldn’t surprise me

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Argue posted:

Entrapta seems to me like the type to go "hey guys, what's up" then just keep on hacking like nothing happened when Adora & co have to go back to the the Fright Zone.

Entrapta only cares about tech.
Lead with “we found this new First Ones tech deposit in XYZ” and she’ll follow you out the door without a second thought.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Well presumably they'd have to get over the whole "omg you're alive?!" Bit and probably guilt over making the assumption she died first.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Chokes McGee posted:

Entrapta only cares about tech.
Lead with “we found this new First Ones tech deposit in XYZ” and she’ll follow you out the door without a second thought.

My BF tagged her as ‘sociopathic techbro who only cares about writing code’ based on many similarly amoral people he’s met in the tech industry.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The_Doctor posted:

My BF tagged her as ‘sociopathic techbro who only cares about writing code’ based on many similarly amoral people he’s met in the tech industry.
I'm thinking she drinks a lot of Soylent.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JazzFlight posted:

I'm thinking she drinks a lot of Soylent.

only in very tiny bottles

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I didn't realize these two characters had the same VA. https://adobsonartworks.tumblr.com/post/180510321510/audio-taken-from-steven-universe-episode-alone

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

This is great.

I heard that it wasn’t the same actress nearly instantly, but I’m weird with voices

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I''m a 34-year-old man who watched this because of liking He-Man as a kid, and I loved it. I would be absolutely okay if the She-ra team made a MOTU cartoon for Netflix, if they can get the green light to do so. That movie has been in development hell for years, let it go.

....also make Orko just be Taako from The Adventure Zone, complete with Justin McElroy voicing him (or Griffin)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Waffleopolis posted:

I''m a 34-year-old man who watched this because of liking He-Man as a kid, and I loved it. I would be absolutely okay if the She-ra team made a MOTU cartoon for Netflix, if they can get the green light to do so. That movie has been in development hell for years, let it go.

....also make Orko just be Taako from The Adventure Zone, complete with Justin McElroy voicing him (or Griffin)

I am a 38 year old man, and watching it has turned me gay. Everything I do now is fabulous. Thank you, Dreamworks.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is it just me or does this world have a really low population? The Horde seems to consist of about 10 people with faces and 100 without, each of the Princess enclaves has maybe two(!) to 30 people, and I don't remember any real crowd scenes ever. I don't know if I'm reading too much into a stylistic choice or if that's just how it is or what.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ragnar34 posted:

Is it just me or does this world have a really low population? The Horde seems to consist of about 10 people with faces and 100 without, each of the Princess enclaves has maybe two(!) to 30 people, and I don't remember any real crowd scenes ever. I don't know if I'm reading too much into a stylistic choice or if that's just how it is or what.

Yeah, that kinda struck me as well. I mentioned in my post about the show in the kid's show thread that the whole "saving the world" aspect of the plot kinda fell flat for me because we don't really meet many non-high-society people in this world or see how they live. We have no idea how someone in an area under Horde occupation who isn't in the military lives, for instance. Are they slaves toiling in mines and factories to feed Hordak's war machine? Are they largely left to their own devices as long as they pay taxes/tribute to Hordak? Are they all just conscripted into the military? Does the Horde just wipe out the native population? Is any of this important to know at all? Probably not, because the show's clearly more about interpersonal relations between the major characters, and it does that well, but personally I like a little insight into how regular, non-nobility people live in sci-fi/fantasy worlds.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That stuff costs what animators call pencil mileage, even with digital ink and paint you still have to design and draw background characters for that. It's probably easier to just assume there's ton of villages everywhere that we don't visit.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pakled posted:

Yeah, that kinda struck me as well. I mentioned in my post about the show in the kid's show thread that the whole "saving the world" aspect of the plot kinda fell flat for me because we don't really meet many non-high-society people in this world or see how they live. We have no idea how someone in an area under Horde occupation who isn't in the military lives, for instance. Are they slaves toiling in mines and factories to feed Hordak's war machine? Are they largely left to their own devices as long as they pay taxes/tribute to Hordak? Are they all just conscripted into the military? Does the Horde just wipe out the native population? Is any of this important to know at all? Probably not, because the show's clearly more about interpersonal relations between the major characters, and it does that well, but personally I like a little insight into how regular, non-nobility people live in sci-fi/fantasy worlds.
Yeah, after watching s1 of this, I went back and watched the first 5 episodes of the original (which is essentially the whole pilot story arc). There were a bunch of lowly peasants getting oppressed and the Horde seemed much more believable as an army.

As a goon mentioned earlier in this thread, the new series makes it seem like the two factions are rival school sports teams. Still a great show, but a weird missed opportunity.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

There was that town that the horde hosed up in the first couple episodes, the people with the antlers. Other than them the only real "commoners" that you see are the three in Entrapta's kingdom and the ones in Perfuma's little town.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I think it comes down to the aforementioned pencil mileage (which largely seemed used in the prom episode, tons of background characters that in theory are nobility or royalty though) as well as the original being a He-Man spinoff where the idea the Horde was subjugating innocent people was already established. There’s an episode where the Sorceress tells He-Man her own backstory: she was an average villager who risked everything and gave up normal life to take up the mantle and protect people. One of the better flashbacks imo.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Wonder if there’s plans for Kyle, dunno if intentional or just meant as a joke, but his treatment by the good guys stood out as really lovely.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Avalerion posted:

Wonder if there’s plans for Kyle, dunno if intentional or just meant as a joke, but his treatment by the good guys stood out as really lovely.

Yeah, he seemed like he was going to come around, then Sea Hawk sucker punches him, and then he's not seen for the rest of the season. What the hell, Sea Hawk?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kefkafloyd posted:

Yeah, he seemed like he was going to come around, then Sea Hawk sucker punches him, and then he's not seen for the rest of the season. What the hell, Sea Hawk?

Well Sea Hawk did not hear any of his talking with Bow.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/Gingerhazing/status/1067991554088812546

Noelle is v. good.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Well, this is pretty appropriate all things considered.

https://twitter.com/Gingerhazing/status/1067893187467915264

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Well, this is pretty appropriate all things considered.

https://twitter.com/Gingerhazing/status/1067893187467915264

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/81348

For anyone else who was curious where to pre-order these.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
But they have, like, zero articulation, and neither is Bow.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Honestly, I'm completely tickled by the idea of a complete line of princess figures, but you can't get one of Bow, ever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, I'm completely tickled by the idea of a complete line of princess figures, but you can't get one of Bow, ever.

Everyone knows male figures don’t sell.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

Jesus, they're $70 for a pair of what look like dollar store toys.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

vape queen posted:

Now you know how the parents of 80's kids felt.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

“Adult” collectors can afford an adult price point, aka it’s total BS when Marvel Legends are still ~$20, are highly articulated/posable, and in the last few years reasonably resemble the actors portraying the character in the case of MCU versions. Also “toy” versus “collectible” and perception of said purchaser to coworkers/customers, even though for around the same price or a little more you can find quality nerdy statues/character busts instead, or commission art in that very common price range from any number of awesome artists.

Source: I still have way too much crap in storage from my 20s and early 30s. :doh:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

vape queen posted:

When I saw they were made by 'Super7' I wasn't surprised. They make really chintzy-looking figures for a ridiculous amount.

The best She-Ra merch is still the Polly Pocket set they sold at SDCC one year.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

New Crystal Castle when

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I sort of feel like if Catra's redemption comes, it can't be based on her relationship with Adora. Her whole problem is that Adora is the only person she really cared for beside herself, and to become a hero, she has to develop a broader conscience and sense of empathy. Them patching up their relationship (assuming they don't just find healthier relationships with other people) seems like it would come after that, not before.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

I sort of feel like if Catra's redemption comes, it can't be based on her relationship with Adora. Her whole problem is that Adora is the only person she really cared for beside herself, and to become a hero, she has to develop a broader conscience and sense of empathy. Them patching up their relationship (assuming they don't just find healthier relationships with other people) seems like it would come after that, not before.

That's probably the point of her team as it is. Scorpia is hardly that bad, just kinda an outcast like her (with some valid beef with the princesses who didn't get on with 'scorpion lady princess' in the lineup) and Entrapta is literally just on their side because of tech. I can see that story going on with those two bucking a pretty bad order, Catra being told to get them in line, and having a moment like Adora's 'oooooh poo poo we ARE the bad guys.....' I mean, there's a lot of She-Ra baddies they can drag in to reboot as an antagonist, they can just have all of Catra's Crew turn good and still have plenty of Horde baddies to draw from.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, there's a lot of She-Ra baddies they can drag in to reboot as an antagonist, they can just have all of Catra's Crew turn good and still have plenty of Horde baddies to draw from.

We’ve seen Grizzlor in the background a few times, but I can imagine they’ll go more Mantenna, Leech, or Modulok as they lose the more human faces of the Horde to the Rebellion.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The_Doctor posted:

We’ve seen Grizzlor in the background a few times, but I can imagine they’ll go more Mantenna, Leech, or Modulok as they lose the more human faces of the Horde to the Rebellion.

I was thinking Modulok when I wrote that actually, he was a neat one, and lots of fun ways they can go with it now that they, ya know, have more than two body types to work off.

Also hoping for Fisto, because the man's name is Fisto. His power is He Got A Big Fist and I respect the dedication.

Where was Grizzlor by the way, totally missed him. Was he just chillin in the background in the Fright Zone?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Fisto was MOTU, wasn't he? Probably off-limits unless they loosen the reins.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

sexpig by night posted:

Scorpia is hardly that bad, just kinda an outcast like her (with some valid beef with the princesses who didn't get on with 'scorpion lady princess' in the lineup)

the princesses beef with Scorpia is that her family sold out to Hordak back in the day, not that she has claws. 1000 years is a long time to hold a grudge, but seeing as there are immortals on both sides it's not that surprising.

related, i appreciate how much queen Angella looks like something out of a different genre or era of animation. leiji matsumoto vibes.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

sexpig by night posted:

Catra being told to get them in line, and having a moment like Adora's 'oooooh poo poo we ARE the bad guys.....'

I haven't even finished the season yet (only up to episode 6), but my impression is that Catra is fully aware the Horde are the bad guys and that her only problem with that is that she's not higher up the pole; not that she's somehow unaware like Adora was or horrified by the prospect. When Adora points it out to her in the second episode, Catra's only reaction is "duh!". Now maybe she just didn't grasp the extent of it, but she seems to realize just how awful Shadow Weaver and Hordak are as well. The only sympathetic aspect to her character so far, to me at least, is that she's friends with Adora and even that seems kind of possessive on her part rather than really friendship as such. I get the impression Adora helped Catra in the past, and Catra has taken the view that Adora is her friend and no-one else's or something because everyone else seems to poo poo all over Catra (beyond Scorpia); though that could be because of her attitude rather than the other way around.

I'm aware there's some kind of flashback coming up though, so maybe my judgement on that grounds is pre-mature.