Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

sexpig by night posted:

Catra being told to get them in line, and having a moment like Adora's 'oooooh poo poo we ARE the bad guys.....'

I haven't even finished the season yet (only up to episode 6), but my impression is that Catra is fully aware the Horde are the bad guys and that her only problem with that is that she's not higher up the pole; not that she's somehow unaware like Adora was or horrified by the prospect. When Adora points it out to her in the second episode, Catra's only reaction is "duh!". Now maybe she just didn't grasp the extent of it, but she seems to realize just how awful Shadow Weaver and Hordak are as well. The only sympathetic aspect to her character so far, to me at least, is that she's friends with Adora and even that seems kind of possessive on her part rather than really friendship as such. I get the impression Adora helped Catra in the past, and Catra has taken the view that Adora is her friend and no-one else's or something because everyone else seems to poo poo all over Catra (beyond Scorpia); though that could be because of her attitude rather than the other way around.

I'm aware there's some kind of flashback coming up though, so maybe my judgement on that grounds is pre-mature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Argue posted:

Zuko actively tried to kill Aang, then conquered an entire kingdom. I would say Catra hasn't gone anywhere near that far.

On the other hand, Zuko was clearly conflicted about his actions and what his nation was doing from the start. I don't think Catra is.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well yea, if the writer wants to make a character good they'll find a way regardless; I just don't think Catra looks like someone heading in that direction at the moment, primarily because I think she knows the Horde is evil and doesn't actually care. Which doesn't make it impossible (see the Vegeta example again), but does make it less likely in my opinion.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Azula did. Zuko was there, and Azula said he did it, since she knew it might not have actually killed Aang but regardless, Zuko wasn't the one who did the deed. Zuko's entire story arc in season three starts with how torn up he is about it too. The difference is in in attitude, not deed. Zuko did (at least, so far) more evil things but he always seemed conflicted about them. Catra doesn't, and even seems to acknowledge and just not care that she's one of the bad guys so long as she can eventually be a leading bad guy. Catra is far more reminiscent of Azula than she is Zuko, at least, so far.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 1, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ramos posted:

Catra's got no real source of proof that there's anything noble or good about the Horde, she's just doing what she needs to to survive.

No, she's not. She isn't trying to survive, she's trying to "win". She wants more power and influence over a system she's clearly aware is evil but doesn't care. And she's embracing that system. When Entrapta told her that her system would gently caress with the planet and it was very obviously doing awful things to the weather, her only concern was "how can I exploit this?" That is not just "trying to survive". Calling it that is just minimizing her culpability. She's also been offered several chances to walk away from the Horde and refused them in favor of returning to get higher up the totem.

If Catra is ever going to have a change of heart I don't think it'll be because of anything to do with Adora, who she seemed to get pleasure from causing emotional distress to in the finale or from her new team mates (Scorpia and Entrapta), since she seems to see them only as pawns, but from getting as much power as she wants at some point and realizing that it doesn't actually satisfy her at all. I can see Catra taking over the Horde when Hordak is temporarily absent, or getting some weapon (like the black garnet maybe?) that gives her immense power and results in a clear and definite win but that leaves her emotionally empty. The only role I can see Adora or her newer team playing in such a scenario is that Catra's actions deliberately include driving them away, which she's initially indifferent to but eventually feels the absence of when looking for lasting and real satisfaction over the allure of power.

Also, regarding Catra possibly being a princess due to the inclusion of a profile with a cat tail in Light Hope's representation of all the princesses: isn't the cat-like one a bit too thick limbed to be Catra? The rest are all so exact and specific to their character that it seems weird Catra's would be beefier looking than the actual design. Not impossible either, since it might be deliberately done to give a shadow of doubt either way, but it seems only suggestive at best to me because of the difference in proportions.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 2, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Can't say as I'm a fan of either of those personally. The first is imbalanced, and just looks odd with an armored chest and nothing else. Which is somewhat appropriate given the history of female character design idiocy when it comes to armor, but still just looks weird regardless. I don't like the overly complex hilt on his sword either. The thing is nearly an ax in it's own right, with a sword stuck on top.

The second is just way too busy. Asymmetrical arms, asymmetrical legs, asymmetrical chest...it even has an asymmetrical belt buckle. I'm getting tired just looking at it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 3, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

shadowvine118 posted:

I hope He-Man gets introduced eventually, not right anyway, but eventually. Mostly, I want to see Skeletor.

I do too, but at the same time I'm not sure I'll ever be able to to take Skeletor seriously as an antagonist again after the UK Money Supermarket ads.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-PgTjhx1VLw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nqhLn76kCv0

Though, watching them again they are suitably fabulous I guess.

KillerQueen posted:

This series is really good but I demand more Hordak, and also more gay communism.

I wonder what the chances are of getting a Swift Wind gay horse revolution short of him kicking in barn doors to free enslaved horses?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HappyKitty posted:

only this time, Adora agrees to take Catra with her, which changes everything.

Didn't Adora ask Catra to join her, only for Catra to refuse because she didn't want to be second place to Adora in a group anymore? Or did you mean that Catra agrees to go with Adora?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The_Doctor posted:

The only villains in the show who are actually villainous are Hordak and Shadow Weaver. Everyone else is more laissez-faire about the whole thing.

Catra was told a machine could gently caress with the environment of the entire planet and immediately jumped at the chance to use it because it would enable her own plans regardless. She's taking every chance at more power she comes across and actively looking for more, has tried to kill a former friend/sibling/lover on at least two occasions and doesn't really care about consequences so long as she's enriched (emotionally, martially, whatever). She's just as bad as Shadow Weaver; she's just more charismatic and has actual motives and a human personality and we've seen her develop so people are less inclined to care.

Catra currently holds Shadow Weaver's old post, and has already been more successful in the same job Shadow Weaver used to have by knowingly putting the entire planet in danger, partially to get revenge on someone she used to be friends/lover/family with and partially to prove her own worth. I don't see how that's not as bad as Shadow Weaver really.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 3, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rand Brittain posted:

Catra's a much better employer than Shadow Weaver.

She is at the moment. At the same time though, she's already manipulating her allies and I don't remember anyone in the show treating the subordinates well (not even Bow), so it's not hard to imagine her becoming more manipulative.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's probably Princess Sewanna or something. Alternately, Scorpia can do some really fine work with her tail.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm sticking with my headcanon that Scorpia likes to design and sew outfits for her friends as a hobby.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It'll come out in the final episode that Scorpia has been wearing gloves all this time.

I would honestly be completely okay with that so long as the tail was entirely biological and she just wore the gloves to fit the theme, or because she thought they were cool.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I was not loving ready for the D&D episode preview, let alone the actual episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lIsGtaLcrc

Edit: Wow that got taken down right after I linked it. :(

Still worked for me. Sea-Ra, for the honor of Grey Whales with slightly different boots is amazing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Chokes McGee posted:

Catra gonna join the Black Ops Best Friends Squad and rub her new gfbff scorpia in adora's face :hai:

Catra would need to notice Scorpia for that to happen, and she's too hung up on Adora for that at the moment. Poor Scorpia. Too good for that selfish cat :colbert:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Glitter's tough face, and the barwoman's giggle at Adora's interruption are great. I hope Adora's crush doesn't screw her over too badly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

I think this is why Shadow Weaver remains the worst person in the show (excluding Horde Prime, who we haven't really met yet). She always had a choice. She was the start of her particular cycle of abuse - she just woke up one day and decided that what she really wanted to do with her life was manipulating children into doing terrible things for her ambitions and leaving them with permanent psychological scars from the experience.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually find Catra to be a shittier person than Shadow Weaver. Sure, she's a lovely person because of Shadow Weaver, but she's a lovely person that has done more (at least obviously) awful things to people close to her. She not only tried to kill her best friend and sister of years on multiple occasions, but has gone out of her way to make her miserable at every opportunity. She's also lied about and screwed over other friends and allies constantly in order to enable more chances to gently caress up Adora's life. The main reason Entrapta is in the Fright Zone in the first place is because she lied to her about Adora having abandoned her, even though she had to know that wasn't true. And now she's lied to Hordak about Entrapta being the source of his latest set back too.

I suspect the main reason why though is simply that Shadow Weaver is too cold and impersonal to really hate, while Catra is human enough that you can empathize with her in a way you can't with Shadow Weaver and hate both her mindset and actions on a lot more emotional level. That, and the fact that Catra has constantly poo poo all over the protagonists life and tried to kill her, while Shadow Weaver has mostly been in the background as a motivation for Catra herself.

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Isn't Entrapta guilty of this as well? I know she has a massive fanbase here but I just don't get it. Sure, she's "blinded by science" but she is such in so ethically-blind a way that I don't find her sympathetic at all.

She's not entirely blinded by science though, just mostly. The biggest example of that being this season's finale, where she knew the portal wasn't working and suspected that using She-Ra's sword would gently caress things up, so she wanted to run tests and experiments first to determine the risks; then, when she saw that the risk was "blow up the loving world", she no longer wished to do it. She noted at one point that risk is an inherent part of progress, and she's kind of right about that. She's not entirely careless about risk or her pursuit of science though, so it makes her more sympathetic. Additionally, she actually gives a poo poo about (some) people. Hordak being the best example; immediately trying to find a way to make him feel better when he's falling apart from angst/pain. Not just physically by building him a new armor, but emotionally by talking about how imperfections are beautiful, because they allow you to learn and grow. She's a crazy, hosed up person; but you can see she has some redeeming qualities.

Azhais posted:

I weep a silent tear every time I think about all the death and destruction that could have been avoided if Catra and Adora had just banged

Would it actually have prevented anything though? She hates that Adora is the one that gets Shadow Weaver's love, that everything seems to go right for and that always wins in the end; I doubt having slept with her would change that anymore than growing up alongside her did.

CuwiKhons posted:

I mean, she basically attempted to destroy the entire world just to get one up over Adora.

That's basically true of season one's finale as well, to be fair. Entrapta made it pretty clear that using the machine would have major implications for the entire world, and Catra just ignored her to go straight to using it simply for the chance to one up Adora; and then tried to kill Adora multiple times in the process. The real change this season is that she hosed over an apparent friend in Entrapta to get her way, not just an apparent enemy. Entrapta and Scorpia each know something of what she did in the finale too, so I suspect that while Scorpia won't have given up on Catra, she will have realized that Catra needs more than just her love and that all she was doing is enabling her. Catra has pushed away everyone who liked her in an obsession with being more than Adora, and is only left with Hordak at this point. Who doesn't like her anyway, and will definitely turn on her the second he finds out she lied about Entrapta. Catra will presumably shift allegiance to Horde Prime at some point, but she's running out of friends and allies to burn. It's loving weird to feel more sympathy for and see Hordak as more redeemable than Catra at this point.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

Shadow Weaver is worse because her entire life's work is using and breaking kids. Any one of them could be the next Catra, and the ones who aren't still end up permanently scarred. Catra is tragic because the person who raised her and shaped her entire being taught her to value her approval more than anything else in the world, and then made sure she would never get it because she only ever saw interest and value in one of her daughters, and only needed Catra around so she'd have someone to be better than. It was only ever a matter of time until she realised the game was rigged and went full nihilist because her horrible mother never thought it would be useful for her to care about other people, but did give her a master-class in how to manipulate them. Seriously, pretty much every nasty, mind-gamey tactic Catra uses was pioneered by SW.

I'm aware, and I still find Catra worse. As I said, I'm pretty sure it's simply because Shadow Weaver is more of a background presence though, while Catra is a up front and center as the villain all throughout the show; along with the fact she's straight up tried to murder Adora a dozen or more times at this point and destroy the world on two occasions now. Those things make Catra a lot more visceral and hateful than Shadow Weaver, who is just too much of an inhuman and inscrutable character to feel much of anything for most of the time. Also, while Catra is tragic and was manipulated, at some point you have to start holding people accountable for their own actions and her actions have had far more immediate and obvious effect both on the cast and on the setting than Shadow Weavers.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What would she have to do to be actually evil in your eyes that she hasn't done already, out of interest? Does she have to personally torture puppies? Kill babies? Admit she likes pineapple on her pizza? What? She's already tried to destroy the world, twice, personally tried to kill her friend/sister on a half dozen occasions or more, betrayed what few friends she has to feed her own ambitions and seems fully aware throughout that what she's doing is bad, but just not care so long as it results in her being on top and/or acknowledged. That's about as evil as you're going to get really.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

xeria posted:

That's not what I said. I don't think she's MORE evil now than she was previously, when she was, say, invading Brightmoon or throwing Adora to her death. She's always been this exceptionally manipulative and selfish (and broken and desperately craving any kind of parental approval, etc.). She's irredeemable in Adora's eyes now, but I don't see how everything she's done up until now is merely light villainy vs a newfound maximum evil. Choosing to destroy the whole world is worse, objectively, than choosing to destroy one kingdom, but the headspace that led Catra to make those decisions is exactly the same. If anything, it shows that maybe Entrapta isn't too far gone because she's the one who pulled back on the "open a portal" plan at the last minute.

Oh right. My apologies for misunderstanding your post so. The only thing I'd disagree with in that case is that I think you could plausibly argue that Catra was willing to drat the whole world even in season one, when she was invading Brightmoon. After Entrapta examined the machine, she told Catra that using it could gently caress with the world's natural balance of magic, and Catra had no hesitation in activating it and attempting to make the effect permanent. The machine might not have destroyed the actual planet, but it certainly looked capable of causing enough chaos to irrevocably damage the environment and make things miserable for anyone who survived.

Android Blues posted:

Entrapta just has a sense of self-preservation. It doesn't mean she's more moral than Catra necessarily (although she probably is just by virtue of the fact that she's kind to Hordak), she just doesn't want the world to blow up because that would kill her and stop her from doing cool science experiments.

It's not just Hordak she's kind to; she's kind to pretty much everyone. She's just so weird and obsessed with technology that most people can't understand her and find her off-putting. She even treats Emily kindly, and Emily is, or at least was, a non-sentient machine. The main reason she's even in the Fright Zone is because she went back to help Emily when she was caught. She's also treated Scorpia well while she's been in the Fright Zone, was nice to all the other princesses when she was in the Princess Alliance and treats all of them like friends whenever she encounters them despite being their apparent enemy.

Darth Walrus posted:

He's opening up because he's finally got someone who will understand what he's talking about. The entire core of Hordak's character is that he is lonely as gently caress. As for how he keeps the Fright Zone functioning, it's the same reason he's so lonely - he's the only person who understands how all the immensely advanced, deadly technology he's built works. Also, Imp is a really good spy.

Catra was pretty much bang on the money when she called him out as being a lonely nerd, stuck in his lab because he has no idea how to actually lead or interact with anyone. He doesn't actually keep the Fright Zone working; that's why he has a major domo like Shadow Weaver and Catra. Their job is basically to run the Fright Zone and keep things going, so he can continue to work in his lab. Both because he's obsessed with getting a perfect body and opening a portal to show his brother he has worth, and because he'd have no idea how to run things even if he left.

Chokes McGee posted:

Shadow Weaver ramps up the abuse because she’s left with the red headed stepchild instead of the darling all star,

I must re-watch season one at some point, but my memory of Shadow Weaver in season one is that she barely interacted with Catra and was mostly obsessed with getting Adora back; only interacting with Catra in season two because Catra constantly visited her in jail. She mostly seems happy to ignore Catra. Which I suppose is a form of abuse on it's own, but it's not really something you can ramp up, given it seemed to be her default attitude to Catra in the first place.

Chokes McGee posted:

Joining Horde Prime is probably the moral event horizon here.

She's almost certainly going to join Horde Prime, just because Hordak himself is becoming sympathetic and Horde Prime is probably not going to be all to happy with him. Hordak seems to have much the same relationship with Horde Prime that Catra has with Shadow Weaver, so Hordak is probably going to rebel against his brother at some point in the future. In which case, the show will need someone on that team that viewers are familiar with and who's been around a while. Catra has also not had any kind of reason to give up or turn away from her ambition at the moment, and Horde Prime is basically the top rung on that ladder so far as we can see. If she's going to be redeemed, it'll probably only be after joining Horde Prime after alienating Scorpia rather than before it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 10, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I find it kind of sad that even Bow treated Kyle lovely, and had no interest in him even when he was stuck in jail and Kyle was the only one showing a modicum of kindness to him. Poor Kyle. Maybe he's the real abuse survivor in all this?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't feel bad for Kyle, so much as I feel disappointed in Bow. You'd think he'd be the one most likely to sympathize, if nothing else. Plus, it's just depressing to see Bow be kind of a dick.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 10, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Labes for days posted:

The happiest ending this show can provide is the whole drat planet getting therapy. Healthy patterns of behavior and cognition disappeared just like the stars when Mara sent them to Despondos.

Bow, Glimmer and Scorpia seem pretty healthy, especially compared to their peers. Bow was afraid to talk to his dads about who he really was, but that's a pretty common attitude, even without the "coming out of the closet" vibes they attached to his desire to be a fighter rather than a scholar. Glimmer is similar, only really have problems communicating with her mom, along with some resentment of her attitude. Again though, that seems pretty normal. Scorpia's biggest issue on the other hand, is that she's a bit of an enabler. Something she appears to have a limit too, given that she refused to let Catra continue to endanger everyone to gently caress over Adora, and seems conflicted now that she remembers Catra tazed Entrapta. Once she finds out she lied to Hordak about Entrapta, it'll probably cause her to put her foot down with Catra.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 10, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Moon Slayer posted:

I just want to point out that there's precedent for a villain with a sympathetic backstory not getting a redemption arc in a kid's show: Princess Azula. She didn't get redeemed, she had a psychotic break and her last on-screen appearance was her writhing around on the ground screaming and crying in chains and it was incredibly disturbing.

Dang, I need to do an A:TLA rewatch. I've powered through She-Ra, Voltron, Dragon Prince, even Final Space, and still need that animation itch scratched.

Azula was a secondary villain of Avatar, to be fair. While she occasionally antagonized Aang, and even nearly killed him in the finale of the second season, she was mostly Zuko's nemesis. The finale was Aang against the Firelord, while Zuko fought Azula. I was going to say that it's hard to imagine Catra being pushed in to the background, for others to deal with while Adora takes on Hordak or something, but after this season's finale, that is actually plausible. Adora is just loving done with Catra's poo poo, so I could see her leaving Catra to Glimmer, Bow or the Princess Alliance in future because she has bigger things to deal with. And that would infuriate Catra.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I'm honestly not sure how to feel about that. I'm a fan of Smith, especially his YouTube series "Fatman Beyond" with Marc Bernadin, since he's a charismatic host and good oral storyteller, but even he shits a lot on his own foibles as a creator and tendency to go for low hanging fruit in terms of character beats and jokes; and I'm not really sure I'd actually enjoy his take on the characters. It's fun that after months of him and Marc joking about how they were the only people not getting a new show from the streaming wars between Netflix, Amazon, Disney+ etc. and the big money they're throwing at creators in order to get subscriptions, they actually had one lined up and just weren't able to tell people about it yet, at the very least.

He has said that he's a big fan of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe in general though, and he talked about some interview he was going to do with people related to the franchise in the next few days on the last episode that went up last week; but then again, fans don't often make the best creators. I do think he's likely to keep Skeletor as a petty rear end in a top hat however, which seems to be what most people want out of that character.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Hey, it worked for the guy who'll be playing Shang Chi, so you never know.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh hey, Marc Bernardin is one of the primary writers on Smith's "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe". Not entirely surprising, given they have been working together on "Fatman on Batman/Fatman Beyond" for several years now and making regular references to wanting to work on a show together, but nice none the less. Also, somewhat reassuring, because Marc has some interesting takes on characters and seems less inclined to go for the simpler, more obvious takes that Kevin Smith has, as well as just having a more critical or measured view on a lot of media in general. Marc seems like he's close enough with Kevin and his ideas impress him enough that he'd be able to talk him out of any bad ideas rooted solely in nostalgia too.

It's also being animated by the same crowd who do animation for the Castlevania show, so I'm definitely looking forward to it now; even as someone who doesn't really have any nostalgia for the property despite liking it as a child. The next of their YouTube shows should be interesting too, since they'll presumably talk about it a bit; even if only in general terms without being able to give any definite details.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 19, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Smith writes snuff/slash fic and he'll probably gently caress up He-Man if they don't rein him in.

There was a panel from the recent Masters of the Universe Power-Con event where the series was accounced put up on his channel a few hours ago, and he talks with a guy called Rob David, who's apparently been writing comics featuring the characters for several years now. I imagine between the familiarity that guy has and the influence Marc Bernardin has (along with just being a better writer on the whole) with Smith, there's a pretty good chance they'll be able to reign in his worst impulses.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Kevin Smith uploaded a new episode of "Fatman Beyond" where he and Marc talk with the rest of the writers for "Masters of the Universe: Revelations" about the new project for a while, if anyone cares. You can view the discussion on YouTube, starting about 7 minutes in and lasting about 34 minutes, until just after the 41 minute mark. There's not a lot of actual content discussion, given how recently it was announced, and is more going in to how each of them got the job, vague overviews of how they see the show, what the writing process is so far, what Smith doesn't want it to be (i.e. he doesn't want it to become his usual thing and have characters selling weed in Eternia despite how fun that sounds to one of the writers) and so on, but if you are curious, it's there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfbui8Pag0Q&t=425s

If you don't care about Smith and/or his He-Man at all though, they do briefly talk about She-Ra during it, and I webm'd that bit, since it's pretty short (1 minute 44 seconds to be exact; and some of that is jokes).

https://webm.red/3Tzx

All they really say is that there's no discussion by anyone at the moment regarding trying to connect the two shows together in any way, and that if it's going to happen, it wouldn't happen until they've done at least one season and figured out what kind of show they are and how things are proceeding. It sounds like they think She-Ra should be allowed to run through at least it's original planned seasons before tackling it too. Other than that, one of the other writers, Diya Mishrya, who worked on a "Magic the Gathering" show for Netflix that hasn't released yet, said she thinks that She-Ra's opening song is amazing. Or rather, that "it fucks", and that she listened to it a lot while writing the second episode.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

All the 80's shows are getting remakes these days; maybe Dino Riders will get it's turn next. That, or Cadillacs and Dinosaurs; though that's an early 90's show, even if the comics it's adapted from are late 80's stuff. I'm kind of a weirdo though, because the big toy cartoons like He-Man, G.I. Joe and Transformers mostly passed me by somehow, but I loved M.A.S.K., Bravestarr, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors and Botsmaster . They're all basically forgotten though, and are unlikely to get the same kind of attention or rejuvenation at any point. Dino Riders and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs were great too, but quite short lived. Turtles was the only big cartoon I really got in to for whatever reason.

Numero6 posted:

MOTU had a mix of scifi and magic but magic took a bigger part in the tv show. I remember it being called "science fantasy" in an article which is apt.

"Science Fantasy" is an older term often used to describe works like Flash Gordon, Buck Rodgers, John Carter and so on, where space was basically just a background for fantasy stories about larger than life heroes. "Space opera" is a more modern synonym for the same thing, and it's often conflated with "science fiction" these days; though, at least by original intention, "science fiction" has more of a focus on the speculative scientific elements and how those would impact individuals or society. George Lucas usually refers to Star Wars as either "science fantasy" or "space opera" for instance, even though it's regularly called "science fiction" in media. I think he's even corrected people about it occasionally. Certainly, I know he's answered question directly relating to that difference in terminology at the very least.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AlternateNu posted:

NYCC Spoilers
Scorpia is hiding Emily so she doesn't get scrapped.

Once more we get confirmation that Scorpia is the best.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ManlyGrunting posted:

e: also I was looking up clips of DT and lmao at all the chuds going "It's simply IMPOSSIBLE to criticize this show because it's too gay! :qq:"

Are they complaining that the show is too gay and thus no other complaint is really worthwhile, enjoying the show despite the show being so gay and not able to comprehend why or what? I'm not really clear on what the logic there is, because assholes of any stripe don't need a reason to criticize something, so I can't really see why this show being super gay would make it impossible for someone who wanted to to complain about it I guess.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not sure what people are that worried about with Kevin Smith. He has made a pretty good cartoon before.

I enjoy Smith as a commentator and podcaster (or Vodcaster, I guess), but I don't generally care about his movies and I'm not especially nostalgic for He-Man either, but I'm mildly excited about this mostly because Mark Bernardin is one of the main writers on the show. While I've seen very little of his work in actuality, as a presenter at least he seems more restrained in his praise and more thoughtful in his criticisms and ideas; so I'm hoping that translates to more interesting writing.

Taear posted:

And the episode "Hero" was one of the best episodes of anything I've ever seen in all honesty. This is a good show and I'll be sad when it ends.

Hero was really good, but one of the highlights of the season to me was finally having Scorpia realize Catra is kind of a poo poo and Scorpia telling Catra "You're a bad friend" in a small, sad voice, before turning around and walking away. Her desperate attempts to rationalize it and work out what she was going to do after several seasons building up her almost blind love and faith in Catra was both really cathartic and heartbreaking all at once. It's also the first time I genuinely felt sorry for Catra, because even she seemed to realize that maybe she'd crossed a line at that point, even if it took a few episodes for her to fully realize just how badly she'd screwed the pooch. Catra's increasingly manic behavior as she realized that Scorpia was gone, her small "Winning doesn't feel as good as I'd thought" a few episodes later and the sheer apathy of her character once Double Trouble broke her down in the finale made for some really compelling television. The fact that even Glimmer seemed sorry for her, and Horde Prime's appearance seems to have reinvigorated her but with some determination to help rather than chase her own short-sighted goals is great too.

Shadow Weaver appears to be kind of heart-broken in her last appearance that Glimmer wouldn't listen to her and instead went off and did her own thing that may have killed them all, just as Micah reappeared was great too. Especially when the whole season played her appearances in a really ambiguous "is she or isn't she being duplicitous" manner, because even now it's still unclear what she was doing or how much was scheming or just genuine desire to help in her own twisted manner throughout the season and it's entirely plausible she will jump ship to help Horde Prime as well as that she'll actually try to help Glimmer in some fashion.

Also, how did Bow and everyone know what stars were after Etheria was brought out of the zone of Despondos?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Halloween Jack posted:

I think the point of that was to emphasize just how much Catra had alienated everyone and isolated herself. She only had one relationship that was going well, and it was ultimately transactional. It struck me as being sex work, metaphorically, but maybe that's too glib.

I don't even think the point was so much that the relationship was ultimately transactional, as that Catra thought there was more to the relationship than there actually was and that Double Trouble could demoralize Catra so thoroughly because Catra thought there was some degree of friendship, or at least respect there, that Double Trouble themself never saw or cared for. When Scorpia is gone, even when Catra hasn't quite realized it yet, Double Trouble is the one person she thinks she can count on, and starts desperately trying to contact, but then when Double Trouble does eventually show up, they have no loyalty to Catra or her cause at all. It's somewhat a reflection of what everyone else sees in Catra herself, really.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Shore Leave is competent, though.

Are you saying a man who can beat up 100, 150, 200 men isn't competent?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't know, I'd say Seahawk's wackiness fits right in with the people around him really, because while Glimmer, Adora, Mermista etc. are all fairly grounded psychologically, they are all magical as balls martially so his character trades that off, by being grounded martially while magical as balls psychologically. Even Bow is pretty insane martially, and managed to break out of a prison using what is essentially a toy bow this season as well as just being able to make technology do whatever to a tamer degree than Entrapta.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Android Blues posted:

Frosta and Perfuma are such thin characters compared to the rest of the cast. Mermista has gotten a lot of development (especially this season), but Frosta and Perfuma have only gotten your typical "potted moral" episodes, one each, where they're struggling with something mundane and then at the end they solve the problem. They don't get to deal with anything that has stakes or consequences for their characters. The rest of the cast all have at least one dramatic conflict to grapple with!

I don't think we've seen either character's homeland since their introduction episodes either, where the story has dropped back to Selenia occasionally and thus given Mermista some kind of personal stake in what's going on.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Bow was kind of a dick to him the one time they interacted in the Fright Zone prison, so hopefully Kyle hooks up with Rohelio.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
On the other hand, one in a million shots land 9 times out of 10.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Or, because he loves his daughter and knows hes been gone too long, he doesn't want to make any sort of claim?

It seems more likely any friction between Glimmer and Micah will arise from his obsolete image of who she is and what she could be. Which seems sort of like it'd be a retread of Glimmer's relationship with her mother, but more intense given the gulf in knowledge and time but the show can probably make it work regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm not really bothered about whether she's redeemed in the end, but I really hope there's more to Shadow Weaver than just "I abuse kids because powahhh!!!", since it just seems so flat and boring in comparison to everyone else around her. It'd also seem to be underserving both her and Horde Prime if they're both just dickbags because reasons when everyone else has some backstory to explain their behavior.