Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

tsob posted:

I barely remember the original show, so I have no idea what was or wasn't hinted at with Teela in the original show, but never followed up on that he could be talking about, but I'd take a guess she's secretly related to either He-Man, or, more likely (since She-Ra is already a female He-Man for all intents and purposes) to Skeletor.

If I recall correctly Teela is the secret daughter of Man-At-Arms and the Sorceress. She finds out at one point that the man she considered to be her adoptive father is in fact her real father. I'm not sure if they ever got around to her finding out about her mother, but I recall that Teela fulfilling her destiny would eventually mean becoming the next Sorceress, which would more or less transform her into a mystical hermit-priestess-nun confined to Castle Grayskull and remove her from nearly all human contact.
Feel free to correct me, it's been a while, and this info may well come from the 2002 show and not the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Binging through season 5, I found it funny that the enemy is referred to as "Horde Prime" like one time, and forever after just as "Prime". It makes almost every sentence sound like a dig at Amazon's rival streaming service. "Prime wants to take over everything", "Prime will not rest until he has conquered the universe"... I wonder if it was intentional.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Larryb posted:

Also, movie/special idea: Take a page from the TMNT special a while back and do a story where EVERY existing He-Man/She-Ra continuity from the original to present winds up intersecting somehow (the concept of multiple Skeletors arguing amongst themselves would probably be worth it alone)

There was a six-part comic series recently titled "He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse". I haven't read it yet, but from what I saw in reviews it may be very much what you're looking for.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Larryb posted:

Neat, is SPoP included in the mix?

Again: Haven't read it yet :)

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, has the Netflix She-Ra gotten any other official stories (such as comics and the like) besides what's presented in the series itself? And if so, are any of them worth checking out?

Apart from a few books for very young kids, there is one graphic novel, "The Legend of the Fire Princess", written by some of the show's authors. Haven't read that one either.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Larryb posted:

Neat, is SPoP included in the mix?

Update: I have now read it, and She-Ra (in whatever incarnation) isn't even mentioned.
The story does, however, feature the Dolph Lundgren movie version, the Filmation universe, the original minicomics timeline, the 2002 reboot, the "New Adventures" space version, Anti-Eternia from the German audio dramas, and even the "Tappers of Grayskull" mobile game character in a prominent role. Frankly, I found it to be a bit of a jumbled mess. Lots of deep cuts for old-school fans (and I'm sure I've missed a ton of the references), and someone who is more steeped in the lore than me might enjoy it more, but all in all I wasn't overwhelmed by it.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Alan G posted:

One of the characters in Preturnia looked to be Zodak/Zodac or similar in design too

That's because the Wun-Darr toy wears a repainted version of Zodac's armor.

So far my favorite easter egg was Evil-Lyn's staff. Her toy has a long staff with a globe on top, while in the Filmation series the staff was really short, more like a mace. In this series the staff started out as the long toy version until Teela cuts it in half, effectively turning it into the short Filmation version. Literally deep cuts.

Second favorite (and slightly more obvious) easter egg: Skeletor's comment "Smells like pine" about Moss Man. Which, of course, the original toy did as well.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
LOL @ the discrepancy on rottentomatoes between the critics (94%) and the viewers (27%). The crybabies are really coming out in force, with such nuanced reviews as "Terrible, awful pile of crap I wish Kevin Smith would just gently caress off" and "Kevin Smith lied" a hundred times over.

Did I love all of it? Hell no. Randor and Teela's reactions to the "Revelation" seemed completely over the top and were obviously just there to get the plot going.
Teela was definitely too "strong" a character for my taste, inasmuch as she's never really told by anyone that she overreacted, and she seems to be validated in all her decisions. I have no problem having her be a powerful person (considering who her mother is), but Adam definitely showed more maturity and selflessness than her.
And I get that she's on a journey and her character will change, but right from the start she's not a very likable protagonist, and just a bit of better writing might have fixed that.

But there was enough in there to like. Orko and Evil-Lyn were genuinely enjoyable, the action scenes were great, and since I've actively been avoiding spoilers, I absolutely did not see the end coming. Looking forward to the next half.

EDIT: Oh, and "Zoar-monger" as an insult was painfully cringy.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 24, 2021

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

tsob posted:

since I'm the only person here who likes Smith

For what it's worth, you're not the only one. I listen to Fatman Beyond regularly, and I find Smith enormously sincere and genuinely well-meaning in nearly everything he does. The idea that certain creative decisions might have been done "to spite the fans" is so ridiculous if you listen to him for any length of time.

Now Bernardin, he's a snarky one, and for all the brilliant writing ideas he brings up in the podcast (especially when they discuss movies and Marc brings up simple ideas to improve the movie, inevitably prompting Kevin to yell "Stop writing a better movie than the one I saw!"), I didn't find his episode all that impressive. Mer-Man in particular was severely underwritten.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, how did they handle him in the 2002 series? Was he still just comic relief or was there a bit more to him than that?

He was pretty much the same bumbling comic relief (and I recall he wasn't in it a lot, but I may be misremembering), BUT
we get a flashback into the past where King Grayskull consults an oracle, who is essentially a big powerful non-comical Trollan, who may or may not be a time-displaced Orko (as fans have speculated). Since the series was cancelled, however, nothing was ever confirmed or denied.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

The Last Call posted:

I wasn't bothered by that, I mean He-Man himself wears fur, it fits the theme of Masters of the Universe. That and Teela does get a look that some went nuts over, in a good way.

Another recent release to check out:

Yes, multiple He-Men from the cartoons, comics, movie and more smashed together. I won't call it brilliant but it's a fun five issue or TPB read to see what happens and what comes next.

The one thing that dates this comic immensely is that the He-Man from the "Tappers of Grayskull" mobile game takes center stage a LOT.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Yeah, that's definitely not for me. But the whining of manbabies that this trailer is going to trigger will be delicious.

EDIT: I see that Mattel has deactivated comments on the YouTube trailer. Probably a wise move.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Filmation. Sorry.

Anyway, three episodes in so far and liking it a lot. It's all a bit speechy, but that may be Kevin Smith's influence, the man's a talker. :)

EDIT: I kept wondering why Marlena has such a whiny high-pitched not-sounding-like-an-old-lady-at-all voice. Turns out for whatever reason, Alicia Silverstone is doing her voice.
EDIT Episode 4: loving hell, they couldn't resist having her drop an "As if" in there.

Done with all five now. Uneven, but enjoyable. Teela is still a bit too self-righteous and "my way or the highway" for me as a character.

Someone needs to (and probably will) make a video about all the movies that were ripped off referenced in the show. Cringer's final move was straight out of The Lion King, and technically Orko the White is ripping off a book as well as a movie, and I spotted dozens more, but my memory isn't the best at the moment.

Loved the music. Man-at-Arms' theme is still playing in my head. Duun de duun, duun de duun, duun duun dee deee...

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 23, 2021

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Yeah, that line and "Zoar-monger" from the first episode really made me cringe. And I like Kevin Smith. Fatman Beyond is one of my favorite podcasts. But someone needs to rein him back in every once in a while.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

tsob posted:

They've been trying to get the live action He-Man project off the ground for years according to Smith in the past. So Netflix are probably hoping to use the shows as hype building machines to cap off with a movie or something.

Not just according to Smith, it's actually pretty well documented. The thing has been in development hell since 2007.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_the_Universe#Proposed_reboot_film

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I had a He-Man kid's book when I was young that said the same for some of Skeletor's flunkies. Beastman, Tri-Clops and Evil-Lynn. One other I forget. I don't think that one stuck anywhere, though.

Marlena Glenn, Biff Beastman, T. E. Scope, and Evelyn Powers, to be precise. It's in the Filmation series bible, but they never expanded on that in the show except for that one story book.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

:sadwave: Good journey.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

I've seen She Ra, Steven Universe and unmentionable horse show. Are there any other cool and possibly gay shows on that same vein or is that it?

Not a show, but if you like the modern She-Ra, make sure to check out Noelle Stevenson's comic book Lumberjanes. It's as gay, trans and non-binary as the day is long, and this middle-aged white cishet male loved every page of it.

EDIT: Apparently HBO Max is working on an animated version of the book, so there.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
1. Revelation
2. Revolution
3. Revulsion