Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

oh but seriously I posted:

got obsessed with the concept of skeletor and so i watched this very gay children's show. p. good, favourite moment was the <1 second shot of the imp kicking hodark in the shin and expressing "ffs man, don't be a dick" in a worldless shriek

The best part was that Hordak 100% got the wordless shriek message :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Shadow Weaver going for the psychological abuse high score. You gotta respect the commitment. :shepface:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Horde Prime

On the one hand his vestigial side eyes make me instantly think "okay who's the mutant defect here?" but on the other hand it would cheapen Hordaks arc for Horde Prime to need to fail at his own philosophy to be owned. I dunno.

Either way though this season was a loving rollercoaster and I desperately need the finale season

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

That’s a really generous definition of yonic. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

oh but seriously I posted:

i would kind of love if we never saw catra again and her entire arc is [hatches a dumbshit plan which will obviously immediate backfire on her if ever successfully executed] -> [successfully executes a dumbshit plan which will obviously immediate backfire on her if ever successfully executed] -> [her successfully executed dumbshit plan immediate backfires on her, obviously]

scorpia remains Top Princess

:v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I hope we see a couple of clones with eye patches in the background.

Bold of you to think those clones weren't just thrown back into the vats to be reprocessed after their useful parts were taken.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

The show is pretty explicit about how heterosexual relationships lead to heartbreak and disappointment and that being gay is the way to go :v:

I mean, on the other hand...Catradora and CatraxScorpia :shepface:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

pentyne posted:

They won't regret regardless.

Lets all not forget how many degenerates shipped Azula and Zuko after all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sea Hawk is too when you get down to it, he's just kinda outclassed given he doesn't have any special powers or weapons like nearly every other named character of note, and his unique skill is 'can competently operate a boat'. (And set it on fire)

Also funny that they swapped the usual 'girls' night out' episode for a boys night out. (Though I think the same thing happens in most female-dominated shows at some point) And in this show, one of the boys is a pegasus unicorn.

Seahawk’s superpower is being the most extra man alive.

When you realize just how extra Mermista is suddenly it all makes sense.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The low key best part of this is that Sea Hawk's internal and external reactions are exactly the same :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Look, if we're going to redeem Catra (and we almost certainly are) who tried to blow up the planet and kill everyone on it rather than concede defeat, we can probably redeem Hordak who is basically in the same net weight class of being a Traumatized Fuckup Child Soldier.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ironslave posted:

If the finale has Hordak and Entrapta blasting off in a rocket to explore the universe I think I'll have gotten what I want out of this.

Yeah I'm down for that I think.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

Hordak prime seems suspiciously into body modding to not be basically falling apart same as the rest and constantly replacing his parts with the parts of others as a means of keeping himself one step ahead.

Gonna laugh if the twist is Hordak is too good of a clone and that’s why he’s falling apart

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Shadow Weaver is the most intriguing character to me because the writers have done such a good job at hiding her true motivations. My wife and I talk about that once in a while. We have no idea what she really wants or what she's up to. Her original motivations were ultimate power but we're not sure if she learned any kind of lessons from her past mistakes. My own personal (and probably wrong) theory is that she's just an opportunist who is currently biding her time and toying with people and gathering favors until the time is right to try to make some kind of move.

What makes you think Shadow Weaver has secret true motivations? Pretty sure we've pretty much learned her deal at this point. She is a creature of spite and pride. She is a serial abuser. She always needs to feel like she's the smartest person in the room and if you stop enabling her that's the same thing as betraying her which means she will go out of her way to destroy you. She sometimes acts out these urges vicariously through a student/teacher parent/child relationship.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Even if it only ended up buying time I'm really glad

Hordak got to choke slam Prime into THE PIT :black101:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Noelle kind of has a history of unearned redemptions tbh. Nimona was very much the same way. I still loved She-Ra but, yeah I can't argue that Catra's past getting swept away feels more than a little cheap after the afterglow fades

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

tsob posted:

It's not even just that her past is being ignored honestly, because Catra is kind of an awful person. Adora is trying to be selfless and put the world and her friends before herself, in a war that could decide the fate of the entire universe and all Catra ever seems to want or care about is whether Adora is paying attention to her. The flashbacks only add to that, because even as a child she got insanely jealous if Adora was friends with anyone else, and lashed out at the mere idea of her being friends with anyone but Catra herself. Catra started working on her anger issues during the season, and apologized to Scorpia among others for being so poo poo to them, but she never actually seemed to acknowledge or even realize that maybe Adora can have a life outside Catra. The closest she came is walking away from her entirely, because she didn't want to watch Adora risk herself for others.

I'd also say I just didn't find it fitting that Catra basically got what she wanted all along, despite all the terrible things she did. It seems like a bad way to end her arc that despite endangering the entire planet multiple times over, pushing away all her friends and just being a lovely person in general that once she started to get over herself a bit and started listening to others that she almost immediately got the thing she wanted all along. No consequences. Adora finally being done with her poo poo at the end of season 2? 3? Scorpia realizing that Catra was a bad friend etc, just seem kind of wasted or insincere as character beats now, when as soon as Catra decides to try to do some good, they immediately welcome her back without issue.

I don't even mind the idea of Catra having a redemption, since that certainly seemed a strong possibility all along, and some of the interactions once she joined the gang were fun (Bow finding her cute at all times was great, for instance) and Catra acknowledging her past mistakes, recognizing when she's pushing people away needlessly a few times, working on her anger and apolizing to people she'd hurt were good but it all was too fast, and I just don't like that she got the thing she apparently wanted all along with issue almost as soon as she stopped being a villain. The show could probably have done it better with another season (among other things that seem like they'd have worked better with a little more time; though that probably wasn't an option), but even then I don't think I'd ever have liked that she and Adora ended up together given what's happened between them in the past.

I wonder who the baby Kyle is putting in a papoose on Rogelio's chest is, since it looks like a a mix between human and lizard and I don't recall any other lizard people in that scene. Did they adopt or have someone act as a surrogate or something, I wonder. It's probably just a refugee, since I don't think there was enough time for a child to be created and born between seasons but I did wonder when I saw it.

Yeah that's kind of where I'm at

Right down to the very end Catra is still a paranoiac possessive. "Not like I want her". I'm kind of disappointed in She-Ra for idealizing a toxic relationship with a toxic person, in such a way. I probably would have liked it better if they'd looked more critically at Catra (correctly) latching onto Adora saying she needed her as an insincere statement. Maybe it's good and healthy not to "need" someone in the way you're envisioning Catra!

It's really romantic and sweet on a superficial level but deeply unsatisfying the closer I look at it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/davepoems/status/1192777216528146432

This is kind of all of Noelle's horrible monster characters who are then deemed sufficiently cute and/or gay :v:

Replace genocide with murder or war crimes or blowing up the planet as needed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Just Andi Now posted:

I'd rather have a lackluster/inadequate redemption arc than another in a long line of "they can't be together because reasons" endings, to be honest.

This feels like a false binary. I mean, it IS a false binary.

Just because they can't (or more accurately shouldn't) be together doesn't mean Adora can't find happiness elsewhere.

It's not even about "she should be punished instead" it's about "this show did not convincingly earn the idea that being in a relationship with Catra is a good thing".

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 18, 2020

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Beekeeping and You posted:

why do we have to earn it :( straight couples don't have to earn it, they just get to throw that poo poo in awkwardly.

It's not good or cool then either.

I'm no happier about Catradora than I am about Bella and Edward. The fact that it's LGBT doesn't make it any less gross and toxic.

Have the self respect to get together with someone less self obsessed y'all, let them heal elsewhere that's not your responsibility. :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Beekeeping and You posted:

Ok sure but c'mon you know Adora would never look at catra trying to heal and be like ehhh not my problem

that's a weird roboty way of looking at relationships? I guess I just don't think Catra's irredeemably toxic? She was a child soldier.

She’s probably not irredeemably toxic but using a relationship as a mechanism to “fix” somebody is a super unhealthy message to be pushing. Your partner is not your goddang therapist.

And believing you did a bunch of bad poo poo out of love does not make all the bad poo poo you did any less bad.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Saucy_Rodent posted:

I think “wait for the person who’s abusing you to say ‘I love you,’ then proceed to make out with them” is a bad lesson for kids, and a better one would be “sometimes you’ll love people, but they keep hurting you, and they’re not gonna stop and it’s not your responsibility to fix them, and it’s gonna hurt but you’re gonna have to let them go.” It’s not about punishment, it’s about teaching kids responsibility, and you can do and also still have Adora be mega gay.

Yeah this is a better way of saying it than I could muster.

Also still never going to really stop making a sour face at Catra’s final plea being “Stay, just once!” for reasons other posters have already covered

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

That’s definitely part of it. The part of me that is soft squishy romance lover :swoon: definitely WANTS to like it but yeah.

I can’t. It doesn’t hold up well under scrutiny :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

pentyne posted:

You, Watching a cartoon show: This doesn't make sense, the real world isn't like this, I can't believe they would try to convince us this is plausible

Is it so much to ask that shows gay and straight stop using romantic relationships as a means to validate and fix people? People try hard enough to do that poo poo in the real world and it absolutely does not work, stop feeding that fire ty

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bow and Glimmer is one of those things where like, yeah it’s not unimaginable by any means but it feels like the writers didn’t really do their homework to bridge A and C? An extremely “oh okay I guess” development.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

My only issue with this is I don't think Adora would wear a dress either, why does one have to be femme? They'd both rock sweet rear end suits.

Adora, herself, literally fantasizes about wearing that exact dress in her idealized future.

So I think the issue of would she wear it is kind of an open and shut case.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

At this point confusion is such an endemic response to Bow/Glimmer becoming a couple at the end, to the point that even the VAs were confused and had to clarify, that I think we can safely call it a failure of the writing. It’s not blinders, it’s not some clever inversion, the two just plain have no romantic chemistry whatsoever.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It's less weird in a series like Dragonball Z, which is explicitly stupid out the gate and you're not really expecting any rich emotional storytelling.

In something like She-Ra, trying to play it smart and stupid at the same time creates some real dissonance.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pararoid posted:

"Failed sequel" seems like quite a stretch for Korra given how popular it is at the moment with it's Netflix debut in some regions.

It was a more complex show than TLA, and it really did suffer for that at times, but when it's firing on all cylinders, say in season 2 part 2, it's easily as good as anything in the genre imo.

Well it certainly thought it was a more complex show than TLA at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

And now the question becomes, whose voice did you read that in, Oppenheimer, Langella, or Hamill?

Still Goofy I’m afraid

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n7X3Q-mTluM