Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, I know it doesn't make sense, but I kind of like to imagine that "Mara" was the OG She-Ra, even though she was named "Adora" as well when not on the clock. It just makes the series a bit more compelling to me to imagine that.

I actually thought about that at one point and I would absolutely love Skeleor arriving on Eternia and Mara suddenly showing up and going ham on everyone like virus corrupted She-Ra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm still thinking that Mara was a hero and the Ancients were up to something terrible that she stopped. It feels like the obvious setup.

Maybe the original sword got infected and she’s stumbling around drunk somewhere

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
On that note I need a gif of Scorpia taking a mop to the face like yesterday

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Maxwell Lord posted:

My favorite part of the D&D episode was Glimmer giving Catra the “female anime villain” laugh

Adora's increasingly exasperated complaints about how people envisioned Catra was pretty good.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

:neckbeard:

I hope Catra remembered it :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

evilmiera posted:

She-Ra remembered it but Catra stole the claw-safe cake she made for her.

And ate it herself.

*around bites* HMmmmffy, Adrrra.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Catra gonna join the Black Ops Best Friends Squad and rub her new gfbff scorpia in adora's face :hai:

Elfface posted:

Based on nothing at all, I'm going to say her name is... Horn-Head. She headbutts stuff. Probably a cameo from the original show.

Hornra, princess of

...horns? :shrug:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
:meowth: oh heeeeeeey Adora. You've met Scorpia, right? We play ~board games~ together
:thunkher: we do?
:meowth: of course
:thunkher: :neckbeard:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Anyway Catra’s going to get into the catnip at some point and it’s going to be funny

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
well here it is, our mlp moment

it was fun guys, wrap it up

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Fantastic season, but bad ending IMO. Catra was made a monster by Shadow Weaver. This is all on SW's head, and she's already starting to pull the same stuff on Glimmer, who doesn't have a mother figure any more. The fact she gets to hang with the good guys at the end and get a hug from Perfuma is not cool.

This show's been really good with nuance though so I fully expect these issues to be addressed. Speaking as a victim of emotional abuse I just want Catra to finally get better and be happy :smith:

e: extra heartbreaking because for a moment, she had it :cry:

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 9, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

thatbastardken posted:

it's one of the lowest numbers of children you can abuse.

And it's 2.5 north of acceptable.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Labes for days posted:

Catra‘s a compelling character too, but she’s also a lovely kitty and I hate her.

The look She-Ra gave her clearly communicated Catra's ex is completely, utterly over her. Either it'll finally get through to her that she's lost her unhinged revenge campaign, or she triples down on the batshit and is beyond reaching.

I still have hope she'll ultimately be saved by the love of a good arachnid :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

pentyne posted:

Catra has gone from

S1: Enemy rising through the ranks toppling her teacher and causing havoc
S2: Clashing with Adora on missions, struggling to learn to lead, making mistakes and lying to cover it up
S3: Running away from a environment of happiness, tasering the crap out of her friend and getting them imprisoned on false charges, threatening someone who loves her with the same consequence, attempt to destroy everything cause mayhem and madness just because Adora got SW attention again.

Extremes I assume for some overall story growth and development, but still pretty messed up behavior.

The ability to sympathise with someone tends to drop off rapidly as they start being just as bad as the "real" villains.

ehn so she blew up the world, they fixed it, nbd :shobon:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Plus the overall message isn’t that Catra is a sociopath. She (wrongly) blames Adora leaving for her life going to poo poo even though she couldn’t overcome her built in prejudices and go with her. Shadow Weaver ramps up the abuse because she’s left with the red headed stepchild instead of the darling all star, Hordak is making GBS threads all over her and threatening her with death daily, and her ex is adored and loved by the whole world. Eventually her attempts to get control of everything and punish the ones who hurt her gets so extreme she turns into the crack ping cat meme from cspam, loses her poo poo, and blows up the world. Adora finally going “done, get out” may be the wake up call she needs next season to realize her way isn’t working. Or maybe she’ll want to kill everyone extra hard! Who knows!

She absolutely is a broken person inside but there are clear steps along the way that got her here and they weren’t all her fault.

Why am I typing this much about a kids show :psyduck:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

sexpig by night posted:

Yea, I mean this is a topic big HBO drama stuff struggles with, I won't really hold it against a Netflix kids show for taking the option of 'everyone can be redeemed'.

Joining Horde Prime is probably the moral event horizon here. Either that, straight murder, or doing something really awful to Scorpia.

Until then I maintain she’s redeemable :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

That applies to every character, except Scorpia.

Scorpia would never be mean to Scorpia. She likes her too much! :buddy:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Look we need to stop all this petty bickering and focus on the real enemy here

Etheria’s great monster: Kyle

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

pentyne posted:

Same with Catra and being a lovely person and hurting others. If you need her to get redeemed to feel good about your situation then you should explore other professional avenues to improve mental health.

im currently in therapy for liking a furry, thanks mom

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd honestly prefer it if He-Man and She-Ra weren't related if they take that tack. If anything, make the new He-Man a PoC to gently caress with people who'd get super butthurt about that.

She-Ra was only able to exist because He-Man's existence legitimized hers. Since she's the headliner now, that's not required, and we know this Adora isn't the OG Adora from the 80s cartoon.

Nah I want fabulous powers revealed to him :shobon:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pakled posted:

"Grayskull" has to mean something

CuwiKhons posted:

No? It means non-white. This is a very weird thing to say.

Good back to back posts imo

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Motherfucker posted:

So wise, I'm going to poo poo in your letterbox.

no! Bad Catra! BAD! *squirt gun*

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

High Warlord Zog posted:

I feel like Adora's final nemesis might end up being Light Hope with Shadow Weaver offing Catra (and probably also dying in the confrontation)

Jesus this is dark. This thread has gone to a dark place.

It’s a kids show about finding your place in the world and being fabulous as hell while doing so. The whole gang will eventually get together to chaos dunk on Horde Prime and everything will be rainbows forever exvept shadow weaver who got pushed into a black hole

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Catra dig up

this is what happens when you overfill the litterbox they just keep going until all the litter's on the floor

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ElBrak posted:

Almost every single piece of old one's tech has been hostile when activated, so they might not have been very nice people. Or maybe whatever that disk that causes all that corruption of first one tech got neutralized when Mara pulled them into the phantom zone. At least until it got messed with by Entrapta.

The old ones are pretty much Eternians though? There’s not a lot of other reasons saying a password phrase with “Grayskull” in it would turn you into a hulking musclehead.

Also I’d like to take a moment to appreciate that Adora is a loveable clumsy oaf whose skill range includes “punch thing” and “get big to punch things harder.” Any time she’s called upon to engage in nuance and deception she inevitably makes the whole thing laughable :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ItWasMoida posted:

So how do people of feel at the end of S3 with Adora giving Catra the "Samurai Jack," eyes?

Absolutely fantastic. Catra finally realized the only reason she wasn't ground into feline paste a long time ago was because Adora still cared for her. That's gone, and she's in deep poo poo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Saucy_Rodent posted:

Don’t pretend “get therapy,” as innocuous as the words themselves are, is ever going to be perceived as anything other than a cheap insult when posted on the internet and directed at someone you know nothing about outside of a few posts. After all, it’s almost always intended that way.

Get therapy

:troll:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I’m looking forward to next season where Scorpia starts carrying around a water bottle and squirting Catra whenever she starts her poo poo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I was just really underwhelmed with some people lazily patting some horde soldiers with palm fronds and them running away in terror in the 4th episode.

scorpia is almost defeated by a mop!!

(it's way way way way better than it sounds)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, Adora might be the only girl who isn't gay for Catra.

Nah, it's just that ship sailed a long time ago.

Also, "Catra makes bad decisions" (from Adora) is probably the best description I've heard of her.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does Entrapta have some kind of Southern accent? She reminds me a lot of Mina Loveberry from Star Vs The Forces of Evil. Maybe just a generic 'wacky' female voice? I'm not good with regional American accents.

It’s a Washu voice from Tenchi Muyo. It’s a very distinct nasal rapid fire thing but I don’t think there’s an actual accent.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Adora's right. Given how dysfunctional and idiotic the Horde is, Catra really does make bad decisions.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
That was some compelling goddamn television. :stare: One of the writers on this show has to have first hand experience with emotional abuse from a parent. Watching Catra's entire slow motion breakdown felt like someone walking over my grave.

Covok posted:

Anyway, on topic, I loved this season so much. It's really crazy how much this show has grown. I actually went and rewatched some old episodes. Catra and Glimmer are so different back then. It's crazy the journey they have gone on over the course of the series. I legit feel pretty loving bad for Hordak. Did not expect that at all.

The writers' ability to write redemption arcs for even the farthest gone of characters is pretty incredible. Hordak legit cared for Entrapta, Catra has been utterly broken and is (probably?) playing both sides now to keep Glimmer's stupid rear end alive, and even Shadow Weaver's moment of "whoops pulled the pin out of the wrong grenade" before Glimmer took off with Scorpia has me somewhat sympathetic.

I think the only real true irredeemable son of a bitch in this series is Horde Prime. Although maybe I'm wrong and deep down he just wants to be friends with friends :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I spent five minutes trying to find a gif of Catra eye-twitching so I could turn it into a "crack ping" meme but I didn't find anything and then I got bored and wandered off :effort:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Nobody’s mourning the real victim of Light Hope’s scheme.

:rip: hair poof :smith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Elfface posted:

Kyle is especially throwable though.

history’s greatest monster

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Going back over the series, the darkest moment for me—other than the entire Hero episode—is when Catra is talking to Hordak completely calm and :smug: about how everything is going to plan, and then we finally see the room from over her shoulder, and everything's trashed. And then she breaks down crying on all fours.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not sure what's going on with Swiftwind but he steals every scene he's in.

Well, he's a horse. And he talks. They do that now, and also get chairs.

There, now you're caught up.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I want Catra's redemption arc next season but if I can't get that it better end with her scheming her way into horde prime's slot and adora being captured and subjected to a chorus of "HEEEEEEEEY ADORA~" from an army of clones

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Desperate Character posted:

She is gonna be angry about being ignored by Glimmer and is about to get evil again especially when Micah rejects her help. I doubt she will get a full redemption in the end

nor should she. shadow weaver delenda est.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

T-man posted:

her hair just gets stronger the shorter it is, bald entrapta could bench press the universe

on a related note the sword is a red herring, clearly the hair poof contains the power to transform into she-ra