Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Is this show good? Someone pitch it to me. I'm running out of things to binge in our isolated hell-world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

It's not perfect but it's kind of a textboook example of how to do a serial show and not gently caress it up.

This works for me. I love serialized stuff with well-built characters, but I can't stand good shows that bungle their ending, which it seems like this one didn't do. Thanks everyone.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Enjoying it so far. I know it was done for the sake of brevity, but I like how fast Adora flipped on the Horde despite a lifetime of social conditioning. Like a big puppy who gloms on to the first person that’s genuinely kind to them.

Also, the first episode after the opener being about not waiting for change to happen and instead going to wreck the people oppressing you was on the nose but extremely good.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 30, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I feel like we're running out of really popular 80s cartoons to remake. What's even left at this point that hasn't seen some kind of update, sendup, or revival? The Jetsons, Captain Planet, Denver the Last Dinosaur?

Also, I guess Noelle Stevenson is also the lady who did Nimona? Neat, I remember really liking that comic. The mid-aughts web-comic scene turned out some pretty cool creatives.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

This She-ra reboot ended up being wonderful, but let's be real. Most cartoons from that era were trash. It's not exactly a fruitful avenue to explore. Just make original stuff!

I dunno, I'm generally not big on remakes but the last ten to fifteen years feel like something of a golden age in western TV animation. There's a glut of really outstanding shows for kids and adults, both remake, and original.

So long as we keep getting stuff like Avatar and Steven Universe, I don't mind a few Ducktales or She-Ras mixed in. Especially in a case like this, where the source material is pretty rough. Like, I could see someone who grew up with the original wanting to share it with their kid, but hesitating because it did not age well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

OB_Juan posted:

Exo-Squad.

Oof, if any show would need a major update to work in a modern context it's Exo-Squad. Plucky soldiers fighting to suppress a slave uprising ain't gonna fly in TYOL 2020.