Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What was the actual "sow" joke? I get it's a reference to an internal piece of art making pun names of Bow's brothers, but did someone use Sow specifically out of context? I seriously can't find it because every search result is clogged by bad actors and people stupidly feuding with bad actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can't tell other people how they should feel about this but that is the dumbest thing to get mad about. Like there's definitely something to be said about the way Entrapta is handled, you can get mad about an a majority white staff, but I can't believe there's any true outrage except from people who had a personal bone to pick with a cartoon.

I ain't given that dude views to check but I would put money on The Quartering having a pinned post like "SJW DARLING CANCELED BY REGRESSIVE LEFT" and that's all the evidence you need that this is some manufactured bullshit by bad faith actors exacerbated by Twitter's inability to hold any real discourse.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Haifisch posted:

:emptyquote:

Is there? As an autistic person myself, I adore how Entrapta was handled - she feels very realistic and most of the problems arising from her autism boil down to 'maybe don't assume the worst from someone who has different communication priorities and assumptions than you'(and also felt realistic in that regard - from the POV of an autistic person, non-autistic people can make a lot of incredibly strange-seeming assumptions about what you're doing and are apparently allergic to just asking what you're thinking or intending).

The issue stems from She-Ra being a children's show with low stakes and bumbling villains so you have this adult woman who is presented as childish and naive happily build weapons for an evil empire. The one outwardly neuro-divergent character is tricked into working for the obvious bad guys which some people find to be a tired trope and I can see where they're coming from although I totally treasured every second she was on screen. People talking about She-Ra sequels, give me Scorpia and Entrapta road show wandering from town to town cleaning up after the Horde.

MonsieurChoc posted:

...America is so incredibly hosed with race jesus.

It's a dumb pun about farming, but because of the centuries of oppression of black people it awakens a lot of scars. This is horrifying.

It really is. A family friend (white) was jokingly describing me to his wife and he said something like "Yeah, he's some kind of government spook" and she was horrified and he got super embarrassed once he realized.

In the Aggretsuko community there was a real to-do over human depictions of Gori because her English actor is a woman of color and she's presented in a similar manner to a strong black woman archetype whether that was intentional by Sanrio or not but the association of black people with monkeys is an entire cargo ship of worms.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

I think that Entrapta is similar to Catra, Hordak, etc. in that their bad actions are easily forgiven because 1) a broad section of the audience sees them as sympathetic; 2) their crimes are understood as Not That Bad because it's a kid's show that's trying to model how we should understand and treat people in our everyday lives, not convey the realities of war. It would be less awkward if the show wasn't about a war, but Noelle and Co were kind of constrained by the She-Ra source material and I think they did a pretty good job overall.

It's the Star Wars problem on a smaller scale. Star Wars wants to appeal primarily to a young audience but it's still about literal space Nazis so redemption arcs feel exceptionally weird when you have 30 minutes of screen time to forgive a guy who murdered millions. And that leads to weird messaging out of context like "Who do you stan, loving storm troopers or the people trying to stop them?"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wittgen posted:

I don't know that Hordak or Entrapta were particularly redeemed. Entrapta is still an amoral tech bro who will go wherever the science is. That doesn't change the fact that she still likes her old friends and will do things to help. Hordak stood up against bigger eviler Hordak, but that doesn't mean he's completely forgiven.

I mean, a character looks at the two of them joyfully reuniting and say, so are we ok with that? I think the answer is not, yes of course. It's more, that is a complicated thing and getting into it during the denoument would seriously detract from the emotional and thematic coherence of the conclusion.

Honestly surprised Glimmer never once brought up that Catra is indirectly responsible for killing her mom but I also don't think Glimmer was made aware that was her doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

pentyne posted:

This is almost the default canon now. Jedi Fallen Order has a ton of scripted conversations between the stormtrooper enemies that have them acting like that. There's one with one stormtrooper poo poo talking another for shooting a rocket too close and blowing out his eardrums and a lot of casual banter about not being able to aim properly.

Yeah, I can't say I don't love bumbling stormtrooper jokes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVLdqHHh3MA&t=225s

But these past couple years has basically killed all humor.