Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I don't see how the level of danger Spinnerella was in is impacted either way by whether the danger is a metaphor for heroin or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks for the condescension but I'm well aware that Spinnerella was in danger, my point was that you implied the story being a metaphor for drug usage was somehow less dangerous for her:

Incelshok Na posted:

Spinneralla is also way closer to a "bury the gays" this way as opposed to, again, something interesting.

The implication I get from this is that if Spinnerella had died and it was a metaphor for drug use, that'd be fine to you because overdosing and death is definitely a thing with stories with drug use, but somehow it would have been less acceptable if the story isn't about drug use?

Also I cannot overstate enough that you're seriously reading too much into the religious metaphor. Horde Prime is a parallel to a cult leader. That doesn't make hiding a control chip a 1:1 equivalent of hiding religion from a spouse. And if you do want to read that deeply into it then even your drug metaphor falls apart because not one single person other than the clones chose to be under Prime's control. So none of these characters 'chose' drug use and suffered subsequent addiction in your metaphor. It wasn't something they sought out or wanted.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 5, 2020

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Yeah I wanna be super clear that I know drug addiction is not a 'choice' and something many people on the inside desperately want out of, even though they don't have a control chip on their necks forcing them to stay in. My point was just that the drug metaphor falls apart there. Spinnerella isn't addicted to anything. She was not curious about what Horde Prime was peddling and was actively fighting against him. Then she got attacked and chipped. She's also not choosing to hide that chip from her wife out of a sense of shame or because she likes the way it feels but knows it's wrong and hurting her - she isn't making a choice at all.

Ultimately, this is a cartoon. The mind control chips have no parallel to real world scenarios because mind control isn't a real thing. Horde Prime acts like a cult leader because that was the real world reference for villainy that Noelle had. The control chips are still just control chips though, not some twisted metaphor about hiding religion from your friends and family.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Okay I think your problem is that you have a severe issue with religion and this probably isn't the thread for it. I'm a Jewish atheist (not a contradiction, believe it or not) and even I think you're getting a little weird here. Christianity, even the worst parts of it in America, is a lot more complicated than 'death cult'.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Right, well, I don't think continuing this conversation would have any further value so I'll just say I'm sorry that the final season didn't work for you as written but I'm glad you found a different metaphor to view it through that you enjoyed more. As someone who lives in the Scientology capital of the world and who has almost lost an uncle to suicide because of them, cult leaders work very well for me as a metaphor and I did not have the same issues.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

There's supposedly going to be a Masters of the Universe series handled by Kevin Smith on Netflix, but it'll have nothing to do with this show. Noelle Steveson said repeatedly in interviews when asked about He-Man that she wanted She-Ra to be able to stand on its own merits and she had zero intention of ever incorporating He-Man into the story. Which she didn't and it was great.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Love to refer to a highly queer cast as 'homophobic', thank you twitter geniuses.

Also another thing I saw going around but didn't see brought up here - people are claiming Noelle and the crew 'joked about DT being a pedo'. Which they didn't. What they said was that DT studied children's behaviors in order to more accurately pretend to be a child for spying purposes. But 'pedo' gets a more outraged reaction than 'slightly creepy but well meant' so throw that on the fire too, I guess.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Catra and Adora definitely weren't together before the show started. Like you said, Catra was clearly always in love with her, but Adora seems to have been very oblivious to it. It's not that Adora didn't love her, just that Adora is kind of dim and wasn't focused on romantic relationships pre-series.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

LoK would have probably been better in general if the writers hadn't gotten jerked around by Nickelodeon for four years straight.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Entrapta is the correct answer. My favorite vent gremlin.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Noelle also did the comic Nimona, which I think was supposed to be turned into a movie but was stuck in development hell last time I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

Blue Sky Studios got bought out by Disney and all the film projects they were working on got cancelled, including Nimona :negative:

Didn't they cancel it when it was nearly done too? Which is loving outrageous for an animated movie since at that point you've put so much money and years of work into it that you're just pissing it down the drain to cancel at that point. But god forbid Disney release a movie with queer themes.