Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Usually I don't like public proposals, but I'm making an exception for this one:

https://twitter.com/omystephanie/status/1096516437684965376

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I am also shipper garbage and loved the Beauty and the Beast movie growing up, so I got all excited when Entrapta tended to grouchy Hordak and they opened up to each other. But I lost investment in the relationship when Hordak yelled abuse at her and she just shrank away. That's not a good dynamic for either a romance or a father/daughter relationship. At least Belle stopped taking the Beast's poo poo after she'd had a good cry. Unless and until Entrapta stands up for herself, I'm putting the Entrapta/Hordak ship in dock.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You're arguing past everybody. Nobody is disagreeing that what Catra did was wrong. People are objecting to the idea that child abuse is no big deal.

At least understand which hill you're dying on here.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 22, 2019

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

:five:

maltesh posted:

What is it a reference to?
The "Woman Yelling At A Cat" meme:
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/woman-yelling-at-a-cat
E:

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 11, 2019

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Scorpia is too much of an enabler for most of the show's runtime, and it remains to be seen if she'll fall back into old habits now that she's left the Horde.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
1. Venus flytrap

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/FujiForged/status/1163089829074100230?s=20

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/1224823927332982784?s=20

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Madurai posted:

Oh wow, lots of posts in the She-Ra thread, I wonder wh-
:yikes:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/Gingerhazing/status/1250185560452288512?s=20

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Adora would definitely try the whole "I'll hold them off!" thing because she's always trying to shoulder everybody's burdens, but Catra would sooner saw off her own arm than let Adora do that.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
NEW TRAILER

https://twitter.com/DreamWorksSheRa/status/1255897200720318465?s=20

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
(Batman voice) I am...the Net.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Someone made a She-Ra dollmaker. I'm still figuring it out, but I want to see your princessonas!

https://meiker.io/play/11592/online.html

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ORIGINAL CHARACTER DONUT STEEL

E: I'm noticing a theme with the hairstyles. Perhaps Adora isn't the only one with hair envy for She-Ra?

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 28, 2020

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I appreciate that they made it clear that, while Shadow Weaver believes that she's the hero of her own story and that everything she did was justified, the narrative doesn't let her off the hook for any of it. Good message for the kids - and the grownups, for that matter.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah I want to see the Saving Angella movie

#SixSeasonsAndAMovie

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm invested in Entrapdak because she's coded autistic and we deserve a chance at romance too :colbert:

E: But the ace read is valid and I'm cool with it too.

E2: VV :hfive: VV

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 29, 2020

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I haven't babysat for a few years so I'm pretty tapped out of Youth Culture, but do kids even watch cartoons anymore? Aren't they all addicted to Youtube and Twitch?

I think my baby cousin was watching Voltron at least a couple years back, and a friend's little girl likes She-Ra and We Bare Bears. The youths love the 'toons

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's like people said earlier in the thread: villains don't always have to have complicated, sympathetic motivations or backstories to be quality villains. All we really need to know about Horde Prime is that he's ruthless and arrogant and seemingly unstoppable - save for that one weakness the heroes can exploit! Learning about how he was a sad little boy who always got picked last for kickball would only detract from that.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

MonsieurChoc posted:

Noelle revealed on stream that she posted a fanfic on AO3 that was basically a deleted scene from Season 5.

You can't just post something like that here and not provide a link to the story

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
#SheRaMovie is trending on Twitter. Looks like it's just wishful thinking by the fandom, though. Not that I blame them!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I always assumed the sword was in Hammerspace when not on screen. I mean, it's a magic sword.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I just want to know what Incelshok Na thinks Protestantism is

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
BRB, going to my church egg bake. We're planning to destroy the universe, just like Martin Luther wanted!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Wittgen posted:

Pretty sure "horde sees all, horde knows all" was one of the 95 theses.

We got to see the Sunday school students' macaroni art of sinners writhing in the cleansing fires of righteousness. Some of those kids are pretty talented!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I absolutely had straight blinders for Bow and Glimmer until I saw the dream sequence where they were arm-in-arm

Not for Entrapdak, though. I choose to blame all my childhood viewings of Disney's Beauty and the Beast, but I am into the whole "mean guy softens because he loves a sweet girl" thing.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

al-azad posted:

The issue stems from She-Ra being a children's show with low stakes and bumbling villains so you have this adult woman who is presented as childish and naive happily build weapons for an evil empire. The one outwardly neuro-divergent character is tricked into working for the obvious bad guys which some people find to be a tired trope and I can see where they're coming from although I totally treasured every second she was on screen. People talking about She-Ra sequels, give me Scorpia and Entrapta road show wandering from town to town cleaning up after the Horde.

Hard agree. I'm autistic and I will defend my fictional neurosister with my last breath

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I think that Entrapta is similar to Catra, Hordak, etc. in that their bad actions are easily forgiven because 1) a broad section of the audience sees them as sympathetic; 2) their crimes are understood as Not That Bad because it's a kid's show that's trying to model how we should understand and treat people in our everyday lives, not convey the realities of war. It would be less awkward if the show wasn't about a war, but Noelle and Co were kind of constrained by the She-Ra source material and I think they did a pretty good job overall.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 28, 2020

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Like I dont even know if I am autistic but holy hell does it feel like it sometimes.

I recommend this free online book to anybody who is autistic, thinks they might be autistic, or wants to be an autistic ally. It's really accessible -- literally, they wrote it in plain language so intellectually disabled people can understand it -- and you might learn something about yourself or your friends and loved ones.

I do want to expand on some thoughts I have about Entrapta and how her autism is portrayed on the show, since these thoughts have been percolating in my brain for a while now. Like Haifisch, I believe that the conflicts surrounding Entrapta come less from any flaws in Entrapta herself and more from problems in the way that other characters communicate with her. When Entrapta says "I’m not good at people," I actually think she's wrong. She easily wins the friendship of those who appreciate her strengths -- i.e. Bow and Hordak, who share her love of tech; and Scorpia, who always strives to see the good in everyone. I mean, could someone who's genuinely "bad at people" really outmaneuver manipulative power players like Catra and worm their way into a warlord like Hordak's confidence without even trying? No, it is only when others fail to appreciate or understand Entrapta that problems arise - when she becomes "bad at people."

S5E2, "Launch," hinges on this issue. Instead of making the effort to understand what Entrapta is trying to do, the other characters spend much of the episode demeaning her for her "messed-up" love of tech, expecting her to do all the work of communicating on their level instead of reaching out to her, and generally treating her like more of a hindrance than a help. Take the scene where they first approach the spire (all bolding is mine):

quote:

Entrapta: The message from Horde Prime was transmitted through that spire. [On ‘that’, she points with her hair] Which means it’s got a wavelength, connecting it to his main base of operation, one that we can track.

Mermista: [smiles sarcastically] Great! [Expression turns dull, slightly agitated] So track it. [Entrapta turns around to face the others]

Entrapta: Well, hypothetically we can track it. Horde Prime’s astral network is incredibly complex and I’ve only been able to intercept parts. [she gestures while she speaks] I need to gain as much proximity as possible to the receptor before I can triangulate their origin.

[The other princesses look at each other, confused.]

Scorpia, Mermista, Perfuma, Frosta: Mm, mm…. Hm.

Entrapta [slowly]: I need to get close to the spire [using her hands, she estimates the size of the spire] to track the signal. [The other princesses smile and nod]

Princesses: Ohhhh!

Mermista: Got it, got it.

Entrapta: If we follow that signal, we’ll find a ship of impossibly sophisticated design, [she flips around, upside-down using her hair] the center of a super technologically advanced empire-- [music plays and stops with Perfuma’s line]

Perfuma: I think we’re mostly hoping to find our kidnapped friend.

The other characters don't realize it, but Entrapta is "hoping to find [their] kidnapped friend" too. She's just told the rest of the group how she's going to do it, making a special effort to help them understand the plan when they show confusion. But instead of saying "Thank you Entrapta, for all your help," they take her skills for granted and belittle her for supposedly not caring about Glimmer. How do they know Entrapta doesn't care? They don't! They just assume she doesn't because she fails to perform a socially-appropriate amount of concern. The fact that Entrapta is single-mindedly focused on her role in the mission to save Glimmer -- to the point that she shows zero regard for her personal safety, to the point where she refuses to give up even when Mermista declares the mission a failure -- isn't a factor for them. Now, I don't mean to suggest that the other characters are bad people for focusing on their worry for Glimmer, or for resenting someone who designed robots that attacked their lands and tried to kill them. Some misunderstanding is inevitable when different neurotypes try to cross-communicate; nobody is a villain in this situation. But I have to ask, who is showing a lack of compassion in this scene? Who is being "not good at people?"

Furthermore, I argue that when we call Entrapta "amoral," we fail to understand the ways in which she shows compassion and empathy. Is Entrapta being "amoral" when she treats robots like people - something that, if I recall correctly, no other character does? Does she recognize that Hordak is suffering, make him soup, and build him an assistive device because she is "amoral?" I think it's significant that, of all the characters in the show, Entrapta is the one to deliver this line to Horde Prime:

My sister from another mister posted:

You can't control us. You don't understand what makes us strong. And that's why you'll never win.

"What makes us strong" is love. Horde Prime is the truly "amoral" character because he rejects love and compassion for the sake of power. He is the one who tries to destroy the "defective" and "imperfect" instead of appreciating their true value. Entrapta is someone who finds worth in imperfection. She understands, like all the other heroic characters, that love is greater than power. And it's only when the Rebellion members are able to recognize and use Entrapta's unique strengths -- to love her -- that they are able to break Horde Prime's mind control and turn the tide against him. In other words, it's only when we embrace neurodivergent people that love is able to win.

Anyway, that's why Entrapta is Best Girl, don't @ me

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 28, 2020

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Haifisch posted:

That exact episode gave me a lot of deja vu. In general neurotypical people expect autistic people to do 100% of the work of communicating like they're 'supposed' to(instead of both parties putting forth effort into understanding how the other communicates), and get mad if unspoken assumptions aren't met or if they don't realize(and don't just ask, because they assume their assumptions must be correct) what you're trying to do is working towards something they want. They also put a lot of stock into performative emotional expression and (often incorrectly) assume you don't feel something if you're not putting on a show of feeling it. I love Entrapta's portrayal because it touches on a lot of the little things like this that most media portrayals of autistic people miss.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Thank you for summing some of my thoughts up so well. I've trying and failing to pull them together enough to say something like this for a while now.

This is why you gotta read the book, neurotypical folks! Autistic/ND people work really hard to show up for you, are you gonna show up for us?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It doesn't hurt that a lot of fanworks about stormtroopers are less Starship Troopers and more The Office, But Sci-fi.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

T-man posted:

LoK failed as a sequel, but taken as it's own thing I'd give it a 6, remove the brothers and make amon right (amon was right)

Don't you take away Bolin, my beautiful himbo

Also LOK S3 would have been a lot better if the writers' research into anarchism had gone beyond listening to a lot of Black Flag.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

I appreciate this, and I appreciate you for posting it

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Motherfucker posted:

Entrapta sucks tho.

i will fite u

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Motherfucker posted:

A superstar at being the worst.

catch these hands

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Senerio posted:

Entrapta

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Now now: gremlins break machines. Entrapta makes them better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Ah, so the spin-off is going in a different direction. Doesn't seem like my cup of tea but we'll see how it goes