Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Now that I read some of the imdb's user reviews I feel a little guilty about not liking the show at all. Masters is about smashing little plastic men together, why couldn't we have that. It's like you were in your room, playing with your toys and then your uncle comes in, picks up a smurf and tries to convince you that it's a nice character, yes, but he lacks depth and it would make for a much better story if he were physically sick and clinical depressed, but would eventually overcome his inhibitions and die for his friends, finally finding meaning in his sacrifice. Now that's how a good story is told!

The actual concept is intriguing though. Thank good they didn't pit one side against the other: The good guys waiting to be attacked, the bad guys failing at the last minute because, suprisingly, He-Man is rather muscular and has the power of friendship. Instead we get the post-game, after the two main guys have fallen, while a known character travels through the world, discovering its secrets and... herself. Now there is an opportunity to get to know Eternia's inhabitants a little better, some of them may even have a change of heart and form new alliances. That is good. Teela, the protagonist, is written terribly though. She's introduced as "a brillant technician, a lethal warrior and master strategist" and thus has no weakness. That's some bland Mary Sue. Besides, why is she holding a grudge for an eternity? You can't take the silly secret-identity concept and make it a real-life problem. Would Lois Lane sulk for years, aunt May, Batman's associates? What a weird hook. All she encounters are bland dialogs, even from a villainnes as interesting as Evil Lyn. There is no uneasiness, no underlying threat, we have changed sides now and are a little mean maybe and that's it.

Stupid random nitpicks for EP1:

Could have used Castle Grayskull's cannon instead of those random energy crystals to shoot things.
None of the guests in the palace move an inch. Compare this with the scene in the royal palace in the 2002 reboot, which has much more fluid animation and generally looks better. If you are not speaking in this series we can hardly spare any animation frames for you.
The first time somebody is hit with a energy ball out of nowhere it's kind of cool, the second and third time it just seems like there is some animation missing. When Battle Cat strikes it's so fast it's easy to miss and tell what happens there. Generally the pacing is weird as heck.
The puns I don't care for. Would be fun for a good show, the way it is it's just people who don't care about the IP trying to be clever.
Everyone is so milquetoast and without character. Teela is overly aggressive in some scenes, which makes her unlikable, all the others just do what the plot needs them to do. Don't like her redesign or her friend much. That does not put me in the camp of the other critics I don't belong to, but it's probably useless to argue.

Altogether Beast Man is not used well. Lets us know he doesn't like firebats, otherwise does not command too many beasts here. 2002 show did this so much better.
Stinkor is useless, sadly. Man-At-Arms on the other hand is far too strong. Rescuing everyone without breaking a sweat several times. Is hyper mobile, commands overwhelming firepower and is totally composed at all times. Weird choice. Orko is the worst. Good drat. What a sob story.

There is this bit where it's clear they did their research and I didn't know whether to groan or approvingly nod when I first saw that bone-headed snake mountain soldier. Or the gathering of the prototypes in paradise city which were nicely incorporated in the overall story. Man, with the right writing this could have been great.

The problem is these characters are not meant to represent living beings. They represent something. Like He-Man is the embodiment of strength and virtue. Of course they can have a crisis too, but if you treat them like dishevelled people for too long all you get is an interesting cinematic experiment because then they lose what they stand for in the deconstruction. To reiterate: While there is a fascinating concept underneath, the whole show is boring, especially the physical conflicts and the dialogues which are both badly set up, played out and solved.

quote:

Also, if anyone wants commentaries, Kevin Smith put up commentary videos for each episode on his YouTube channel that you can sync up with the episode on Netflix as it plays.
That's good to know. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU