Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, do we know anything else about the other He-Man show yet (like a release date, voice cast, etc)?

As far as I’m aware we’ve only got the following so far:

-The show will be a complete reboot ala SPoP (though how much this particular team will be willing/able to change remains to be seen) and will just be called Masters of The Universe

-The show will be CGI and run much longer than Revelation will (as far as I’ve heard it’s basically the main event while Revelation is just a short little warmup meant for the older fanbase)

-The show is being handled by another studio called House of Cool (who have apparently assisted in some big name shows/movies in the past such as Despicable Me)

-Thanks to some toy leaks a little while back we have at least some preliminary designs of both He-Man and Skeletor (click the question mark by my name, the toy pictures should be on the very first page)

-“I have the power” is now “We have the power”

Anything else I’m forgetting that’s been revealed about it yet?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not completely sure about that one as I only heard it second hand but that’d make sense, yeah. Anybody got a source for that point out of curiosity?

At the very least, I’m hoping this series will have the guts to take some risks with the characters the way SPoP did (or at the very least, give them some extra depth and agency).

To be completely honest, I’m actually more curious about that series at the moment than I am about Revelation.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 15, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently the first half of Revelation at least will be more Teela focused anyway so I could see them exploring something along those lines (and if they don’t have enough time there’s always the CGI series afterwards)

Speaking of, given how short Revelation is going to be I wonder if the individual episodes will be a little longer to make up for it (though it seems like they’ll at least be splitting it up into two parts as opposed to dropping all 10 episodes on us at once)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 15, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently it came from a soundbyte in a Twitter presentation a little while back. I forget the link though so if anyone can dig it up for me that’d be great.

Also there’s a book or something coming out related to the reboot implying that this is a team show and several characters share the power (which sounds interesting if handled right)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, how much was Horde Prime involved with the 80’s series? I know in SPoP he takes over as the primary antagonist after a while.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

He's always mostly just Hordak's boss. The smog and giant robot hand that threatens Hordak if he doesn't make it work THIS time.

I think he might have had a physical body in one of the comics/children’s books if I recall correctly (which is also the only place the original Double Trouble appeared aside from the toyline) but he definitely had more a of a presence in the Netflix show.

Out of curiosity, did SPoP ever get a full DVD release (I know that’s not super common for Netflix exclusive shows though)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

You can get 1-3 on Amazon right now for like $15 USD.

What about 4 and 5? Pretty much every other series got a full release to my knowledge so it’d be weird if they just stopped this one halfway through.

Also any particularly interesting bonus features on the three that do exist?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 16, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently Revelation will be released in two 5 episode parts, the first one drops July 23 but for some reason we won’t get the rest until January of next year.

I’m curious if the 3D series will start in the gap between the two then or if they’ll hold off until the first series is finished. I wouldn’t be surprised if the latter threw in some She-Ra content as well (though whether said characters will be reverted back to being closer to their 80’s counterparts remains to be seen).

Also, movie/special idea: Take a page from the TMNT special a while back and do a story where EVERY existing He-Man/She-Ra continuity from the original to present winds up intersecting somehow (the concept of multiple Skeletors arguing amongst themselves would probably be worth it alone)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 18, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dave Syndrome posted:

There was a six-part comic series recently titled "He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse". I haven't read it yet, but from what I saw in reviews it may be very much what you're looking for.

Neat, is SPoP included in the mix?

Come to think of it, has the Netflix She-Ra gotten any other official stories (such as comics and the like) besides what's presented in the series itself? And if so, are any of them worth checking out?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 18, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems interesting based on the description at least:

https://she-raandtheprincessesofpower.fandom.com/wiki/She-Ra:_Legend_of_the_Fire_Princess

The wiki article also mentions that it’s the fourth spin-off story written for the series, what were the others in that case?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A new Revelation trailer just got leaked:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hUGVyqiKF44

Note that a lot of the voices have been deepened by the uploader to avoid a copyright strike.

Here’s another leaked clip:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xsXS8SeCUKI

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 2, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks, looks good to me.

I wonder when they’ll start advertising and/or giving out info regarding the 3D series (some toys from it have already been sighted in the wild after all), maybe late this year at the earliest.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Nice, Cringer talks. He didn't in the early aughts reboot (I guess with Stinkor and Moss Man around a talking tiger was seen as too "out there").

And he’s voiced by Stephen Root no less (Bill from King of the Hill)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ironslave posted:

Skeletor didn't nya, not going to watch.

To be fair, there’s still plenty of time for them to throw one in (and if not there’s still another He-Man series in the pipe later on)

I forget, did he ever say “nya” in the 2002 series either?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 3, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ll give you two guesses about what most of the comments below the He-man video are full of.

If you guessed bitter incel gen-xers crying about how Teela has been turned into a man, Adam was feminized and the entire show is a bait and switch that will be about SJWs and Wokeness, you win the prize (so about par for the course honestly)

Why is it that a lot of this fanbase sees the original show as this holy text that cannot be altered rather than the goofy toy commercial it really was? Same goes for She-Ra for that matter (which I question whether half of the people complaining even WATCHED when they were a kid).

Now granted, the latter show does have its share of legitimate problems (such as the story kind of falling apart during the final season and Catra’s somewhat rushed redemption arc that sort of brushes aside all the genuinely horrible things she did over the course of the series) but changing/updating a few designs/personalities and giving characters more agency and development ain’t one of them in my opinion.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 3, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell, sometimes change is a good thing (like in the aforementioned Ducktales reboot where they gave the triplets actual personalities/unique voices and turned Webby from a precocious little girl to a fusion of the Pines twins from Gravity Falls).

Off the subject, the Revelation tie-in comic is out this coming week, but already a big scene has leaked

Our first full glimpse of King Greyskull

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/big-spoiler-for-next-weeks-masters-of-the-universe-revelation/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The CGI Netflix show was mentioned a little in this month's edition of SFX Magazine:

-There will be a lot of easter eggs to every possible tie-in with the franchise, including Revelation, with 'subtle nods' to every series prior.

-A 'Day One' Prince Adam. Entirely different from what we've seen before

-The series will be a coming-of-age tale, with the characters on journeys of personal discovery and 'earning' new powers and their titles as Masters

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

Is this one of those 60 episode deals, where Netflix just staggers it out across however many seasons they want? The weird "season 2 part 1" stuff can not die in a fire fast enough.

I don’t think that’s been made clear yet but from what I’ve been hearing Revelation is just a short little mini-series while this is the main event. As a result I’m guessing we’ll get more than one season out of it like SPoP did.

The former comes out pretty soon if I recall correctly so I’m guessing more info on the CGI series is going to start trickling out before too much longer now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of the reboot show, this image just leaked:

Based on her design I’m guessing this is the new version of the Sorceress

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, why are the two parts of Revelation apparently several months apart from one another?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tsob posted:

No idea. At a guess it's to get something out there a bit faster, rather than waiting another 6 months for it all to release. Plus, if you release it in two waves that two bumps in public awareness, rather than one. Amazon, Disney+ etc going for one episode a week rather than dumping it all at once is probably better for that, but Netflix are basically known for their dump strategy at this point, so they may be too committed to change for now.

Makes sense, though there is still a second He-Man series coming eventually so I’m not sure how it’s all going to work (like if it’ll be out/still going by the time the last half of Revelation hits). We’ll see I guess.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Reviews are out for He-Man Revelation and…it’s certainly a thing:

(MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD)

Adam dies. Twice. First in the opening episode after the power sword breaks, the second is when he returns in episode five, having left the Preternian afterlife to reclaim the sword after Roboto re-forges it. Skeletor, who has also been absent since episode one (save for flashbacks), suddenly comes out of hiding just as Adam is about to transform into He-Man and skewers him, claiming the sword as his own and becoming a Master of the Universe...the Skelegod

Orko, who the reviews claim has the most surprisingly fleshed out story, sacrifices himself in episode four

Edit: Another review, apparently there’s also some mild swearing and gruesome moments inspired by Akira:

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/fantasy/masters-of-the-universe-revelation-review/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 21, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m probably going to give Revelation a try but to be honest I’m more looking forward to the CGI reboot (which sounds promising from what little we know so far).

Speaking of which, the former comes out today

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Haven’t gotten around to watching it yet but two questions:

1: Are there still lighthearted moments here and there like there have been in every other series in this franchise?

2: Does Skeletor say “nya” at any point?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Disappointing (though I’m not sure if he did it in the 2002 series either to be fair)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently the Conan looking guy is named Vikor, the He-Man of the north. Not sure if he appeared in the show/comics before though.

Edit: It seems he’s a concept drawn by Mark Taylor before He-Man became what he is now. He was there with Torak and Vykron, who basically all fused to become the He-Man we know and some love today.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 23, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just finished it, overall that was better than I expected it to be (enough to keep watching anyway). See you next year for Part 2 (unless the CG series comes out first that is).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ironslave posted:

Thank you for sparing me the heartbreak and disappointment of waiting for this through the series.

It’s a pity as I’m pretty sure Hamill could have pulled it off too.

Panfilo posted:

So is clownfish TV just blowing it all out of proportion? I'm surprised they got so mad, I saw the first few episodes and I could totally recognize the goofy vehicles that were originally toys from 35 years ago.

Are you really surprised given some of the reactions to SPoP? Based on what little we’ve seen the same fans will likely throw a shitfit over the CGI series too.

But yeah, in my opinion Revelation was much better than I expected/feared it was going to be based in the initial spoilers. Too bad we have to wait until sometime next year before we get the second half.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 24, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vietnamwees posted:

So is there a dedicated thread to discuss MoTU or are we just doing that here?

This seems to have become the general MoTU thread, yes

Also, did Adam’s mom know who he really was in the OG series as well or is that a detail Revelation added?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 24, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

From what I understand the miniseries as a whole isn’t really all that long so out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why they didn’t just dump the whole thing on us at once?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Last Call posted:

It's one of those nutty things Netflix does.

And there's another Masters of the Universe show in the works, this is a stand alone project.

Yeah, from what I understand the other series will be a complete reboot ala SPoP that’ll be a more full fledged show while this is just a short little sequel aimed at the older fans. Which is why I find it odd they’re splitting it up into parts like this (I wonder if Revelation Part 2 and the CGI series will wind up overlapping in terms of release dates or if the latter will start first)

Speaking of, now that Revelation is out I wouldn’t be surprised if they started promoting the other show before too much longer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Last Call posted:

A picture leaked the other day of the new show in the works, it appears to show the Sorceress. I can tell you now people will likely be livid due to the design judging from the reaction to this.

Yeah, and before that there were two toy leaks of He-Man and Skeletor presumably from the same series that also looked slightly redesigned.

Considering there are seriously people out there who hate SPoP solely because the characters “look different” there will absolutely be people who throw a shitfit over the new series as well (as has been mentioned, some of this fandom seems to carry around this weird idealized version of the show in their heads and anything that deviates from it will essentially be garbage to them. They’re never going to be happy so stop paying attention to them).

Based on what little we know I’m actually looking forward to the reboot personally (especially the promise of other characters getting time in the spotlight and nearly every entry in the franchise thus far getting a nod of some kind). The studio behind it seems to have a pretty good track record from what I’ve found as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the old shows had their fun moments but I was honestly never really a fan as a kid. Though despite that I still had almost no trouble at all following along with Revelation.

While the new shows aren’t perfect either I honestly prefer them over the originals from a story (and in a lot of cases, a character) perspective. Plus they’ve still got plenty of the goofy fun the originals were known for.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I made the mistake of checking out r/television and the MotU subreddit and my god people are ripshit mad about this, and for the stupidest possible reasons. They are once again angry that that their toys betrayed them and told them it's time to grow up, oh and by the way, women exist.

Oh and they don't understand how storytelling works.

Hell, weren’t the 80’s shows also fairly progressive for the time in some ways?

For that matter how did the first reboot (the 2002 series) do in regards to giving the characters agency/depth?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 24, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, I never saw New Adventures but always assumed it was a sequel. How does that one hold up?

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh hell yes. Even on the 80s show, the actually competent and smart ones who weren't He-Man were Teela, Queen Marlena, Duncan, Sorceress, and Evil-Lyn, and guess who's in the winners circle in Revelation too? (along with Orko, finally)

If 02 He-Man came out today as-is, it would have been met with the same head-popping reaction. gently caress, they humanized SKELETOR in '02 He-Man. He actually has a reason for why he's evil and a backstory to explain it.

Speaking of, why is it that the 02 show seems to get a pass from the fanbase despite changing almost as much as the more modern shows did (hell, Cringer doesn’t even talk in that one)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Last Call posted:

The New Adventures was a thing. And pretty much agreed to be horrible on almost all counts.

02 was quite beloved by the fanbase. Sure there were some sticklers but overall it was extremely well received. The biggest issues people had was with the toys and how many He-Man's and Skeletors flooded the pegs while other characters were hard as hell to get. It's widely credited as the reason it failed, due to Mattels lovely distribution. No toyline, no show.

What was wrong with New Adventures out of curiosity?

On another note, Orko had some surprisingly profound moments/observations in Revelation. Did he ever get anything like that in the other shows?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 25, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, this show actually made Orko likable to me (as I said, little guy’s got some surprisingly profound moments).

Speaking of, how did they handle him in the 2002 series? Was he still just comic relief or was there a bit more to him than that?

nine-gear crow posted:

Not in the first five episodes. The Horde gets a namedrop in episode 5, but no specific mentions of She-Ra, Adora, Etheria, or anything else from the other show. Same way Princess of Power treated He-Man.

The brief description of the CGI series in a recent magazine article did mention it would pay homage to every incarnation of the franchise in some way so maybe we’ll get a bit of She-Ra stuff there at least.

Speaking of, I would love to see some of the SPoP cast come back even if they weren’t playing the same version of their characters.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 25, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hooman posted:

I adored He-man when I was a kid, like absolutely loved it to death. Never watched any of the later reboots or remakes, I'm at ep 3 and really enjoying revelation so far. I loved all the callbacks to the toys in the first ep. Plus enjoying the jokes and the obvious affection that the show has for the original series.

Why are people so mad at this?

Now, the CGI He-Man image :bahgawd:

I have no problem with the look of the CGI series from what very little we’ve seen so far (aside from the toy making He-Man look like Kirstoff from Frozen). As for the remakes/reboots, they’re not perfect but I’d say they’re all still worth a watch in my opinion.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hooman posted:

Maybe it will grow on me. I think especially cringers armor, makes it try to look too "cool" and spiky but just makes me think of a Zoid and while I appreciate that the exaggerated proportions are an artistic choice it rubs against all my kid nostalgia.

I don't think I'd mind it as much if He-man was proportioned a little more... humanly. If he were less top heavy it wouldn't be rubbing me the wrong way.
It looks like a video game character that someone has bought a "he-man" skin for.
I'll check out those older series.

Wait, there’s a Cringer picture from the CGI show (I’ve only seen He-Man, Skeletor, and a leaked picture of what I assume is Sorceress)? Got a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh yeah, I remember that now (it was one of the first images released for that matter). I agree, the redesigned Cringer battle form does look like a Zoid.