Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The one low-key minor thing bugging me about the finale is Adora really needs to find a way to just be without having a Mission To Go On. So let's have her go on a mission to bring magic back to the universe! :shepface: I know this is just a 'we're wrapping things up and giving you a vague idea of what they'll do after' thing, but yeesh.

Android Blues posted:

Her new transformation also looks quite a lot more like the 80s She-Ra, which I thought was kind of cool.
I just got huge Sailor Moon vibes from it, honestly. Maybe it's the tiara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, I feel like we're running out of really popular 80s cartoons to remake. What's even left at this point that hasn't seen some kind of update, sendup, or revival? The Jetsons, Captain Planet,
I feel like a modern Captain Planet would have to work really hard not to be super grimdark and depressing.

So that's the one of these I want to see most. :getin:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Only if it keeps the gloriously lovely CGI. :colbert:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Asgerd posted:

Nobody will remember this bullshit nontroversy in a week, except for people who already hated the show and will use literally anything as ammunition.
:emptyquote:

al-azad posted:

Like there's definitely something to be said about the way Entrapta is handled
Is there? As an autistic person myself, I adore how Entrapta was handled - she feels very realistic and most of the problems arising from her autism boil down to 'maybe don't assume the worst from someone who has different communication priorities and assumptions than you'(and also felt realistic in that regard - from the POV of an autistic person, non-autistic people can make a lot of incredibly strange-seeming assumptions about what you're doing and are apparently allergic to just asking what you're thinking or intending).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Pththya-lyi posted:

S5E2, "Launch," hinges on this issue. Instead of making the effort to understand what Entrapta is trying to do, the other characters spend much of the episode demeaning her for her "messed-up" love of tech, expecting her to do all the work of communicating on their level instead of reaching out to her, and generally treating her like more of a hindrance than a help. Take the scene where they first approach the spire (all bolding is mine):

The other characters don't realize it, but Entrapta is "hoping to find [their] kidnapped friend" too. She's just told the rest of the group how she's going to do it, making a special effort to help them understand the plan when they show confusion. But instead of saying "Thank you Entrapta, for all your help," they take her skills for granted and belittle her for supposedly not caring about Glimmer. How do they know Entrapta doesn't care? They don't! They just assume she doesn't because she fails to perform a socially-appropriate amount of concern. The fact that Entrapta is single-mindedly focused on her role in the mission to save Glimmer -- to the point that she shows zero regard for her personal safety, to the point where she refuses to give up even when Mermista declares the mission a failure -- isn't a factor for them. Now, I don't mean to suggest that the other characters are bad people for focusing on their worry for Glimmer, or for resenting someone who designed robots that attacked their lands and tried to kill them. Some misunderstanding is inevitable when different neurotypes try to cross-communicate; nobody is a villain in this situation. But I have to ask, who is showing a lack of compassion in this scene? Who is being "not good at people?"
That exact episode gave me a lot of deja vu. In general neurotypical people expect autistic people to do 100% of the work of communicating like they're 'supposed' to(instead of both parties putting forth effort into understanding how the other communicates), and get mad if unspoken assumptions aren't met or if they don't realize(and don't just ask, because they assume their assumptions must be correct) what you're trying to do is working towards something they want. They also put a lot of stock into performative emotional expression and (often incorrectly) assume you don't feel something if you're not putting on a show of feeling it. I love Entrapta's portrayal because it touches on a lot of the little things like this that most media portrayals of autistic people miss.

This bit also hits painfully close to home:

quote:

Mermista: We can’t. [knocks Entrapta’s signaler out of the way] Thanks to you, this place is about to be swarming with bots. We have to retreat. [groans] I should’ve known better than to trust you. You don’t care about Glimmer or any of us, you only care about tech!

Entrapta: Are you all...mad at me?

Mermista: You’re seriously just realizing that? Yeah, we’re mad!

Perfuma: You don’t consider how your actions affect other people! Even people who are supposed to be your friends.

Frosta: Like us. The ones getting beat up by your dumb bots. [Entrapta winces] And whose kingdoms you almost destroyed. [her eyes brim with tears]

Entrapta: I’m not good at people. But I am good at tech. I thought maybe if I could use tech to help you, you’d like me. [she turns her trackerpad face down] But I messed that up, too. [The princesses are shocked, Entrapta climbs up and starts running]

Mermista: Entrapta, no! [she grunts and runs after her, panting. She grabs onto the end of Entrapta’s hair, Entrapta screams] I said we have to leave! Can you listen for once in your life?

Entrapta: I’m sorry I’m bad at listening! I’m sorry I mess everything up! But you need this signal, and I’m gonna get it for you.

Mermista [surprised]: You’re still trying to get the signal?

Entrapta [tears in her eyes] Of course. Glimmer needs us. [Mermista looks upwards to see drones flying above them, and Entrapta follows her stare. They both look downwards as heavy footsteps approach, the bots]
There's a lot of 'you're not considering us!' while missing that she was trying to help the entire loving time. And the not-Entrapta people get mad that Entrapta didn't pick up on their subtler cues earlier that they were mad about this. And Entrapta blames herself for it and beats herself up for not even being helpful with the one thing other people routinely want her skills for - something relatable to most autistic people, because society at large blames us for 'not listening'/messing things up/etc when there's a communication conflict between us and a non-autistic person.

quote:

Furthermore, I argue that when we call Entrapta "amoral," we fail to understand the ways in which she shows compassion and empathy. Is Entrapta being "amoral" when she treats robots like people - something that, if I recall correctly, no other character does? Does she recognize that Hordak is suffering, make him soup, and build him an assistive device because she is "amoral?" I think it's significant that, of all the characters in the show, Entrapta is the one to deliver this line to Horde Prime:
People also miss that she works with the Horde for so long because they(or at least Hordak) treats her like an actual person with something to contribute, and not a burden they have to babysit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Yeah, her big flaw is that she can't stop herself from doing impulsive poo poo in an attempt to impress/lash out against Adora. If it wasn't for that she'd be pretty competent.