Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I watched the rest of the season last night. It’s a vast improvement from the original, I’ll give it that. But I’m going to stick with my initial assessment that the show is for the most part pretty generic in both story and visuals.

That said, I really like Shadow Weaver. I want to see more of her and I’m interested in her relationship with Adora.

I would also like Hordak to do something other than sit in his chair and pet a baby that he stole from the Horde nursery. (Seriously, choosing to make Imp look “human” rather than a gremlin is just weird.) Like turn into a rocket ship or something, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Comments on the show from an actual child: “It looks like an anime. I like it because she has blonde hair and my sister has blonde hair. And she has a unicorn and unicorns are my favorite animal. Also there are some boy characters, too.”

I would be happy to see Horde Prime show up and Hordak react to him exactly how he did in the old series and it’s played totally straight. No longer a goofy snorting tyrant but still terrified of getting his big brother the wrong birthday present.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

A bard with his highest stat in STR? Shameful.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

wizzardstaff posted:

Entrapta is Peridot with enhancers for her hair instead of her limbs.

Hairidot.

:hai:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Darth Walrus posted:

Meaningless buzzwords that we're going to look back on and cringe at in a few years' time. I mean, 'hopepunk' is already a pretty silly name.

I’m already cringing at hopepunk fwiw.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I enjoyed the D&D episode immensely. It has been a good season.

Shadow Weaver remains a despicable rear end in a top hat and my absolute favorite character in this show. I love her.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Even if they don’t involve He-Man, I imagine Adora will actually be from Eternia and that’s why Shadow Weaver recognizes her as “different” and took her in. Maybe she’s trying to get Adora back in order to hand her over to Skeletor in exchange for Eternian magic! (She will, of course, get double-crossed by Skeletor.)

I just finished the last episode and 1. Bow’s family is just so cute and 2. gently caress you Netflix for leaving us with that cliffhanger.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Next time on She-Ra: the heroes must make a perilous journey into the Fright Zone to retrieve Entapta’s belongings because all her stuff is there now, so she’ll probably just stay.

A lot of my misgivings about the first season have really been cleared up in the second. A big annoyance of mine was that Hordak did nothing but yell at his subordinates in the first season, but I guess it makes sense that he can’t do much given that he appears to be either ill or decomposing.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Most of the hero plots were skippable but man oh man I would watch a soap opera about the Fright Zone.

Catra hopped from abusive approval-seeking relationship with Shadow Weaver to abusive approval-seeking relationship with Hordak so I imagine the Scorpia thing is going to help her understand “huh this is what it’s like being in a relationship with somebody who likes me for who I am instead of what I can do for them.”

100% agree that Light Spinner was the best episode because it was about my favorite character’s journey from being a frumpy green elf to a frumpy gray elf.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

It also bothers me that you never see him giving orders to other Force Captains. Like there’s gotta be more than two but you don’t even see him giving orders to a bunch of nameless ones along with Catra and Scorpia.

I think it’s been mentioned before but this show is good at personal interactions but not so good at making it seem like the Horde is enormous and an actual threat.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Shadow Weaver would probably hate Peace Island even more than Beast Island though. Throw some snarling monsters at her and she’s fine; throw some hippies with their drum circles and yoga at her and she’s having flashbacks to Mystacor.

Fellbat posted:

I have horrible trait of only using netflex as background noise, did I miss him or has Mantenna seriously not shown up once? He was punchline but like the main lackey in my memories of the old one.

He’s never going to show up because, again, the Evil Horde is window dressing for a story about overcoming abuse and loss and Entrapta shenanigans.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

There are obviously straight people reproducing, but they got killed so Shadow Weaver and Bow’s dads could adopt their children. So goes the cycle of life on Etheria.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

side_burned posted:

My personal favorite episode of 80's She-Ra is Horde Prime Takes a Holiday. It has Skeletor stealing a spaceship and the most ridiculous displays of She-ra and He-Man's powers.

That was a good one but the one with the cursed pie that made Hordak fade from existence and was basically an entire episode dedicated to other characters insulting him viciously as he dies was my personal favorite.

Of course that wouldn’t happen in the current series because 1. this Hordak’s not that stupid and 2. Entrapta would be bawling her eyes out because now who’s gonna bankroll her trip to outer space???

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Shadow Weaver is the best character in both shows imo. She is never funny or the butt of the joke or a fuckup. Nor is she anybody’s love interest. I can’t think of any other women from 80s cartoons who were like that, and honestly few even now. She is 100% malicious and predatory and evil and have I mentioned that I love her

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Megillah Gorilla posted:

In the last episode she played the manipulative parent perfectly.

Probably the most brutal scene of the show so far was when Catra came back to the empty cell and realised she had been used.

It bothered me so very very much when I realized Catra kept petting Entrapta’s hair not because she’s a cat and that’s what cats do, but because that’s what Shadow Weaver does when she’s playing to those “such a good boy/girl, mommy is so proud of you” insecurities.

Has any other kid show gone this deep in exploring the relationship between a child and a narcissistic parent?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I get the love for Entrapta, I like her too, but of all of them I feel like she has the most potential to do the most evil, specifically because of her amorality. It'd be great if she fluttered back to the rebellion by accident and did some unintentional good things (and otherwise Gir's it up with the gang) but I think it's more likely that she's going to enable (and probably directly cause) atrocities on a scale not yet seen on etheria. The only things she's shown any empathy for so far are robots.

I agree with you. But I love her specifically because of that? I don’t want a redemption arc; I like her exactly where she is.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

My favorite part of that trailer is the fact that Entrapta apparently built herself a robot Hordak. And a robot Scorpia too but robot Hordak is way funnier to me.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Having watched the new episodes, all I have to say is this:

Catra, you’re dead to me.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Darth Walrus posted:

I also liked how that episode fleshed out Hordak's relationship with Imp. The little guy's very obviously a failed clone, and yet Hordak treats him with nothing but kindness. :unsmith:

Holy crap I didn’t even put two and two together on that. :3:

This “season” has been amazing. I hope the next one has a happy ending, though. I have faith that Hordak will work with Adora to get Entrapta off Beast Island, right after Scorpia tells him about what Catra did. Because she’s too nice, but not so nice that she’s going to allow Catra to hurt a friend.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

The scene in the trailer with Entrapta in front of those robots that look like Scorpia and Hordak - did that show up in any of these episodes? I’m wracking my brain and I don’t remember seeing it anywhere. And I want it to be proof Entrapta makes out okay.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

CuwiKhons posted:

Yeah it did. It's when Adora is in the alternate timeline caused by using the portal. It's also interesting to me in retrospect that the only robots with definable features were Hordak and Scorpia. By that point, Catra had already betrayed Entrapta and even if she didn't remember it, she knew who her two real friends were.

When not-Entrapta tells them to remove the sword from the portal or somewhere else? Because I rewatched that scene and they’re not in it.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Thank you, apparently glossed over that one.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Thought the thread could use this Very Important Information.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

CuwiKhons posted:

If Hordak isn't wearing pants then that means he's basically wearing a slit dress with knee high boots.

The fashion icon we deserve tbh.

I wonder if he’s still wearing furry panties a la 80s Hordak.

Personally I don’t find the hero characters very compelling but holy poo poo the Entrapta/Hordak relationship and its growth has blown me away. I found them both generic and boring in the first season, warmed up to them (together) in the second, and felt genuine Feelings over it in the third.

I don’t have a problem with the writing at all and they keep throwing in these visual touches that only deepen it. (Hordak’s hair going from slicked back when you first see him to increasingly messy and in his eyes when he thinks Entrapta betrayed him, the crystal on his new armor saying “LUVD” in First One, etc) I am a total sucker for reparative relationships and also insecure villains so thank you Noelle and Co; I am sorry I ever doubted you.

Catra‘s a compelling character too, but she’s also a lovely kitty and I hate her.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

The happiest ending this show can provide is the whole drat planet getting therapy. Healthy patterns of behavior and cognition disappeared just like the stars when Mara sent them to Despondos.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Ok but when are we getting Terry Crews as He-Man, I’m down with the two characters being totally unrelated but existing in the same universe. (As long as He-Man is played by Terry Crews.)

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Rae Geiger posted this so it’s basically canon ok

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

This is interesting.

It is, I love how they put it in there.

Also I’m shipper garbage so I’m continually amused by the people on tumblr who are opposed to the idea of Entrapta being in a romantic relationship with Hordak and instead want it to be a father/daughter type of thing. Which it is canonically not.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

A big part of their dynamic is that he is traumatized by his own upbringing and not a healthy person, but Entrapta isn’t afraid of him when he lashes out so he begins feeling safe enough to let his guard down with her. To the point where he was unhappy that the key to completing his life’s work got found. He was on an upward trajectory to grow out of his trauma and develop compassion when Catra reminded him that oh hey, he’s a flawed piece of poo poo who doesn’t deserve love and the only person who ever made him feel safe just abandoned him.

Entrapta frequently calls Hordak out on his poo poo, she just didn’t have reason to at that point because he walked out of the room and they haven’t seen each other since. And he has helped her grow as a person because caring for his broken, cranky rear end has helped her develop compassion for something other than machines.

I guess I see a lot of myself in Hordak and a lot of my husband in Entrapta. We’re not entirely healthy people, but our relationship is built on mutual respect and shared interests. There have been plenty of times where I’ve lashed out at him and he has stayed with me even after telling me that’s not okay. We make each other happier, even though we’re far from perfect.

No I am not happy that I typed all these words about a cartoon but I’m going to post anyway because I feel strongly about it. :dealwithit:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

All I remember about the 00s He-Man was that it seemed like they really had a thing for spinning weapons. This may or may not be the case, but it’s the only impression that series left on me.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

My husband is a huge Kevin Smith fan (like I said, neither of us are perfect) but when I told him that he was picked to lead a continuation of 80s He-Man his response was “But why?”

I don’t know, lol

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Okay but like why does he wear it on a bondage harness instead of like...a breastplate or something.

Like I know the MoTU schtick was “sci-fi barbarians” but come on, Adam.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

twistedmentat posted:

We were talking about She-Ra in a fb group and replying to my post about how Scorpia is too good with that thing she does with her face for Catra, they said that Catra is an incel; she thinks that she is owed something from Adora by virtue of them being near each other for their whole life. She never gives Adora any reason to be with her, but she still expect it because she carried that printer dammit!

This is a good take on it. Also as with incels Catra is hyperfixated on the “perfect” woman she can’t have while ignoring Scorpia’s attempts at friendship. She also doubles down on her aggression in order to hurt others instead of actually admitting she has a problem and trying to fix it.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

They’re totally setting it up for her to come back though. The whole “wait I’m not-!” thing had to mean something.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

So I guess it’s safe to assume Hordak hosed off to Beast Island to save Entrapta or something and Catra seized power, huh.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

He’s looking forward to dunking on his little brother for not being able to take over one sad-rear end little planet by himself.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I don’t like those spoilers at all.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Come on tomorrow come onnnnnnnnnn

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

CaptainCrunch posted:

Is Hordak blushing???

Bet you can’t guess what Imp said to cause it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

My thoughts on the three episodes I’ve watched so far, which were the last three:

- Entrapta :3:
- Jumanji Micah
- Hordak crying when he found out Catra played him hurt me
- Double Trouble killing it in those heels
- Prime looks like Hordak hosed the twins from Matrix Reloaded
- seriously why is his face like that
-While I acknowledge she is a well-written and complex character GOD I HATE CATRA