Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So is clownfish TV just blowing it all out of proportion? I'm surprised they got so mad, I saw the first few episodes and I could totally recognize the goofy vehicles that were originally toys from 35 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I know Cringer talked in the original but it's pretty corny to bring it back. I cracked up at how many characters I recognized, like Fisto punching someone with his fist.

I really liked the reboot from around twenty years ago (wow has it been that long?). They did a pretty good job fleshing out many of the side characters back then I think.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Garry Chalk also did the voice of Man at arms in the 2003 reboot.

New series is more deep than I thought it would be. It's interesting seeing how the villains cope with a world without Skeletor (or magic). Like how Tri clops and trapjaw went full Jim Jones with their tech cult, Mer Man not being the complete joke he was in the previous reboot, Beast Man following around the next toughest badass of the group and sounding rather reluctant when Skeletor comes back Evil Lyn in particular was interesting, on one hand she seems like someone that finally walked away from a horrible boyfriend and can let her hair down and open up to others, but she's still a cynical opportunist just the same. Her telling Orko "that's just what your parents made you think" when Orko goes into his spiel about being a screw up was poignant in my opinion. I mean it would be so easy to play up her arrogance and spend the whole time berating Orko as this useless floating turd but in a way I think she saw a little of her own insecurities in the wiz biz.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

nine-gear crow posted:

Based off of episode 4 alone, that's the one thing I'm looking forward to the most from part 2, Orko returning the favor and giving Lyn the boost she needs to finally and truly tell Skeletor to gently caress off for good.

There's a good message about being loyal to those who lift you up, not drag you down. I think Evil Lyn sees that even though Orko is sloppy with magic he has friends that have his back. Meanwhile Evil Lyn is very good with magic but Skeletor takes her for granted. Maybe she equated Orkos parents to her relationship with Skeletor and it reminded her of how much he might have held her back to be so desperate for approval.

I also dig Evil Lyn's white hair and the moments she takes the helmet off.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It also just recently occurred to me that perhaps a reason the howling masses are making GBS threads on the show (other than their He-Man show having so many ~FEMALES~ in it) is that the also-ran B-side villains are literally a bunch of cowardly tech-bros who literally drink Kool-Aid.

I'll take any excuse to point and laugh at Kevin Smith, but this wasn't one of them.
One thing some of them complained about, is this stereotype in what they think is feminist-wokist media that any and all male characters have to be incompetent and bad.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The Last Call posted:

The new comic tie in is out and Skeletor has a hell of a origin, Keldor? Not here at all. It's entirely new.

*IF* true which Lyn even calls him out on Skeletor comes from a skull based race, yes they have necks. They look like him in other words. They were enslaved by a ram like race until Skeletor rose up and had them overthrown. He then found love and had a child. Yes they all looked like death as well. The ram people later killed them in front of Skeletor to break him. It's when a horde ship lands and Hordak and crew come out, promising the power to resurrect all he lost if he served. So he did. His race became Horde troopers. In time Hordak enabled him to resurrect one and only one to shut up his complaining about them. He chose his son. He left him in the hands of the Horde as he went out in the universe to train and learn more, in time he realized he would never have his wife again so planned to over throw Hordak. Again Lyn says it's all BS and Skeletor says it is but after she leaves he holds an amulet and tells his dead wife goodnight.
Skeletor- Dad:"I know I come off as arrogant and cold, but I have the same urges as anyone else. These primal animal cravings persisted long after your mother's passing, and to this day I yearn for the next opportunity to take pleasure in the carnal union of flesh. Your dad doesn't just have sex, son. Your dad fucks"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

nine-gear crow posted:

I recall somewhat that ‘02 He-Man was just as divisive and looked upon askance in its time as well and has been Overton Window’d into being “a good He-Man show that, I a True He-Man Fan adore and respect” by virtue of 19 years of time between it and now, a new new He-Man show (and a newer new He-Man show) coming along to act as a heatsink for it, and because basically no one talked about it in its time, so The Discourse around it is shaped by whatever people want it to be now.

I watched the Power of Greyskull documentary on Netflix last week and when it go to the 02 series it was just like “we thought were doing pretty good, but no one was watching it or buying to the toys, so we got cancelled.” If the internet of 2021 existed in 2002, people would have thrown a poo poo fit over it.

As for CGI He-Man… eh. It looks interesting. Not sure what to make of the art style, but it’s doing enough weird and intriguing things with the story and characters that I might check it out. Robo-Orko has me over the moon.
What the hell was so controversial about the '02 He-Man?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

This cracked me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Enjoyed the second season (part?) of the new series.

Skeletor in a lot of ways reminds me of the Monarch in Venture Brothers. He's so obsessed with killing his arch nemesis he's squandering all these opportunities he has with his newfound omnipotence. What's going to happen when Adam is dead for good? Is a good question he's asked.

Didn't care for Lynn's backstory though. I preferred the one from the 2000s series, where Skeletor was Randors brother who got his face melted in an assassination plot gone wrong. In that backstory Skeletor was at least a handsome guy up to that point and it made more sense Lynn would fall for him back when she was young, dumb, and full of Eternium. She had also helped restore him to the point he's at in the series. Here, it feels more like simple Stockholm syndrome and her making out with his skull face was gross.