Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Finished the series lat night with my wife. There was a lot of ground to cover and I think the season could comfortably have been twice as long (a bunch of side characters barely even got to exist in this one), but they did a good job hitting their bases with the time they were given. Some thoughts -

- Adora and Catra was very cathartic and seemed natural. I don't think they ever foreshadowed these feelings in earlier seasons, but it was always clear that they were the most important people in the world to each other and frankly it mades Catra going so bugfuck crazy about Adora's abandonment make even more sense in retrospect.
- I don't think I loved Bow and Glimmer getting together. They kinda had chemistry, but I liked the show letting a boy and a girl be best friends without having to be romantic partners.
- Shadow Weaver's act of redemption seemed a little forced? I know it's stortytelling tradition to have the most reprehensible antagonist commit a heroic sacrifice both to a) prove they really meant it and b) not have to deal with the consequences of what an rear end in a top hat they were previously, but Weaver hadn't really shown any signs of recrimination beforehand.
- They sorta pulled a Disney over the course of the series and killed off all the moms. Lucky for Bow he had two dads!
- Still laughing that they changed the good guys / bad guys splash pages in the intro like four times to keep up with events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

T-man posted:

I'm not sure how people missed the obvious catadora setups but I'm also very gay and have honed my shipping skills like a fine blade of Hanzo steel

Apparently CIS men really are that dumb.

FWIW it was always intensely obvious that there was nothing and nobody in the world they cared about more than each other even after everything that had happened between them, I just didn't register that their relationship was anything more than platonic (and also didn't feel that it necessarily had to be romantic to be that powerful).

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah I was reading their relationship as something like Nebula and Gamora.

EDIT: I definitely noticed the intensity of Catra's jealousy and abandonment issues, but I think I just figured they were emphasizing her emotions to make them more readable to kids.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 17, 2020

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

ConfusedUs posted:

I just finished season 1 after a friend highly recommended the show.

A few stray thoughts:

- My very first thought upon seeing Glimmer was "whoa, I've never seen a girl with that shape in a cartoon before" even though it's really common.
- Bow is hilarious. I about lost it when he ripped the midriff off his prom outfit.
- I absolutely love how inclusive this show is with regards to fashion; girls in poofy dresses, girls in armor, girls in tuxedos, girls in skintight off-the-pincer slinky dresses, plus Bow's bare stomach. Also there are hearts on the bottom of Bow's boots. ON THE BOTTOM! Dude knows how to stick with a theme.
- Catra is easily the best character on the show so far. She's clearly the show's second main character, which owns.
- All three of the main good guys (Adora, Glimmer, and Bow) are are kind of bland in comparison. Both Glimmer and Adora have issues they work through, but they're not explored nearly as deeply as Catra's.
- God drat, can you keep track of the loving sword between scenes? Please? I lost track of how many times I thought Adora left it behind only for it to magically be in her hand or on her back after leaving it on the ground somewhere.
- Scorpia and Entrapta are both awesome in completely different ways.
- I'm totally picking up romantic vibes between Catra (who is suppressing them) and Adora (who is oblivious), right?
- This show made me so gay I wrapped back around to straight.
- I want the action scenes to be so much more fluid than they are. I miss the choreography from Avatar.
- With all the care that's gone into showing the conflict between Catra and Adora as a multifaceted, layered set of overlapping issues, you'd think they could also manage a little subtlety into wrapping up the adventure of the week, but nope. Show has a REAL bad habit of just pulling out "the heroes win!" without making it feel earned.
- The "stuck in the First Ones temple" episode was the best of the season. More of that please.
- The prom episode was also great. Both of the villains had amazing outfits for the ball.

I'm gonna start season 2 tomorrow and will post some more stray thoughts when I have the time.

To get away from that godawful derail started by an obvious troll, I'd agree that the fight choreography and general animation quality are probably the weakest parts of the show, with probably the most egregious example being the episode where they meet Entrapta and represent swarms of bad guys as eyeballs glowing out of inexplicable shadows. It's definitely not Avatar, but the real heart of the show isn't the action scenes so it's a forgivable concession. The first few episodes when it leans into formulaic Princess Of The Week gigs to set up the characters is also kind of a drag and lacks the relationship development that makes the rest of the show so good, but it only ends up being a few of them and once they're done they don't do anything else like that.

Bow was probably my wife's favorite character, but despite her wishes I do not have the abs to pull off any of his outfits.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

ConfusedUs posted:

“You made your choice. Now live with it!” gently caress yeah!

Given the state of the world, it was immensely cathartic to hear Catra give the old 'you hurt my feelings so it's your fault I'm a Nazi now!' and see her given the appropriate rebuttal.