Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Augh, god, the argument between Adora and Catra in the temple was so painful. And I'm still so sad too, because now there's no way this can resolve beyond her getting a tank thrown at her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So maybe I missed something but uh, ep 6 Did Catra die from that fall? I don't know if she was dead or unconscious afterwards and and She-Ra revived/healed her. Since I wasn't expecting her to actually come around since she kept pushing people away the second they tried being nice to her just like she has the entire series I wasn't really thinking she'd be doing anything aside from being in a med bay thing this season. In all honesty, I was expecting her to be alive but paralyzed.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Really? Wow. Not making fun, just shocked. Fascinating, the mind of the het...

Add me in on the first part of that. Aside from like, 40 minutes over the first season before she left, Catra was just so hostile to Adora all the time that I didn't see that one eventually developing in any positive manner.

Also I'm still bad at reading characters beyond them, I think Entrapta sees Hordak as a friend and lab partner. And eventually she'll get a piece of First Ones tech about relationships and go 'Ohhhhhh, that's what everyone was doing.' And then 7 years later she'll have an epiphany and be like, 'Hey, that's kinda like me and Hordak!'

Fanfiction aside, I thought this season was the best one, I liked it a whole lot and just binged it entirely when I saw that it was a thing on Netflix instead of going to bed. I'm bad at liveposting.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/mimic_txr/status/1251217247055601668

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I feel like I saw a few 'gently caress you Netflix' about this before when I was first reading through the thread

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1263870645743636482

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

Although the fact its clearly their biological child has some concerning implications...

The same uncomfortable questions that Bow's twelve older siblings and two dads raises, yeah.

Seems to be a thoroughly solved 'hurdle' in this universe.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

T-man posted:

is it really easier to swallow rainbow ray amazonian transformations than gay babies and/or adoption? (verb use intentional)

Yeah, we all know that those transformations are obscenely powerful and doing anything to interfere with them will get you killed.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 24, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Scorpia's power should've been the ability to turn her pincers into fingers.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Despite having been on this site for 7+ years, I'm still too much of a coward to go to some places and say things, is there any chance people know of any podcasts talking about this show?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

T-man posted:

not that i know of, but rgd is perfectly safe so long as you never go to the chapo thread

They've been good on giving me recommendations in the past but I still can't help being anxious about dumb things that don't matter in the long run.

CuwiKhons posted:

I got you, pal

It's kind of a slow podcast because they only talk about one episode at a time and sometimes divert hard onto weird tangents, but they've done interviews with several people who worked on the show, including Noelle. It's a pretty decent listen.

Cool, thanks a lot!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CaptainCrunch posted:

Yeah ok this roiled around in my head all week until I broke down and dashed this out just because I couldn't not.

How hard did you have to restrain yourself to keep from putting her in a catsuit? :v: Or whatever you'd call the spacesuits they were wearing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's situational. Alcohol breaks all inhibitors. Usually you pretty much just start to babble random stuff which goes through your head with arbitrary firing of synapses. But if you have a secret which weights on you for the majority of your life, but just refrain yourself from revealing it on a logical level, that might well slip out, if your logic shuts down.
I don't think Adora's feelings for Catra are the later, because she seemed really unaware of it herself.

It's a joke of Adora being a fun drunk and telling everyone she loves them. Also she's totally oblivious about the fact that Catra really loves her for real so she'd get a different idea from hearing it from her.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope the next new cartoon to get a revival is something I actually watched when I was a kid. I'd love to see a serialized Secret Squirrel or Hong Kong Phooey show.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The She-Ra podcast says that the 80's She-Ra cartoon was like the top rated one back then so I guess it was really popular but I just missed it since I was born in the 90's :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So how mainstream does fiction have to be before it's not dumb trash for morons?

A book? An internet video? A TV show? Movie? Franchise?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Once again, the day is saved. Thanks to Grayskull!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I have never known or given love so I assumed it was a self-destructive obsession that would've ended with one of them either dead or comatose at the end after things escalated to attempting to blow up reality in season 3.

But between me being bad at reading media and a couple or few trans people (I don't remember if I should be using a space for it or not, sorry) saying something along the lines of 'Yeah, being melodrammatic enough to blow up the universe is a mood' I was kinda willing to accept any direction the show went so long as it wasn't weird comic book directions like Adora climbing out of a husk of her own body like a molting crab.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Honestly, CATra suddenly becoming aggressively single-mindedly obsessed with Adora the second she stops paying attention to her makes a ton of sense in hindsight.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Adora didn't "stop paying attention to" Catra. She left the Horde because the Horde sucks. Adora even asked Catra to go with her but Catra refused. Adora absolutely hated leaving Catra behind but she was thinking of the bigger picture and Catra was only thinking about herself.

I was just making a joke about cats wanting nothing to do with you if you seem excited to see them. :(

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

I mean... look, I assumed bow was gay as hell and thus the whole heart shaped note through the window sneaking thing just did not even register.

Wittgen posted:

Bow uses a heart motif all over the place. That is pretty flimsy. Even something more substantive like how jealous Glimmer got at princess prom doesn't really address what I am getting at though.

Yeah, I dunno either. I don't remember him using a lot of heart arrows later on in the show and he could've just picked a different one at the time instead if he felt like it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

there was a livestream where someone made a joke about the black kid picking corn in a field, i think

they just meant it to be a joke about him being a farmer but uhhh, very unfortunate implications

Endorph posted:

also a guy said 'dykes' but he was talking about a podcast with the word 'dykes' in the name, because one of the people on that podcast was in the stream, so that ones just dumb

Ahh, yeah. Good on her for just apologizing immediately, that's not something you wanna double down on not being in the wrong about.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Entrapta's weird because I feel like I've seen characters like her before but gently caress if I can actually name anyone.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've always heard that smelling toast randomly is a sign that you're having a stroke.

What does seeing triple mean? Because I'm seeing three She-Ras here!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

By being about teenagers fighting an evil regime, the remake became an anime. And as if that weren't bad enough, they made some bizarre aberation where the women are largely the ones doing all of the action instead of fading into the background or being motivation/cheerleaders for the male protagonist? Like wow, that's hosed up man.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Larryb posted:

I forget, how proactive were those same characters in the 80ís She-Ra series?

Despite loving a lot of old shows when I was a kid like Top Cat, A Pup Named Scooby Doo, Hong Kong Phooey, Tom & Jerry, and Popeye, She-Ra and He-Man are not ones I ever watched so I couldn't tell you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

tsob posted:

Huh, that's a weird change. I guess it was always applied to multiple beings, since Cringer changed to Battle-Cat when Adam changed to He-Man, but is it now a case of more people than Adam changing too; to say it's a "we" instead of "I"? Or is it purely a thematic thing, where yeah, technically only Adam transforms (of people, at least), but everyone is part of the same team, so they all have the power; even though they really don't. Or maybe they all can transform depending on who's using the sword, I guess? And other characters like Teela or Man-at-Arms will do so with their own transformation on occasion? At which point Adam probably needs to be a bit more capable on his own terms, if he's going to be around as himself occasionally while someone else is transformed.

It's because Adam and He-Man are two different people, clearly :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Nice, Cringer talks. He didn't in the early aughts reboot (I guess with Stinkor and Moss Man around a talking tiger was seen as too "out there").

A weird line to draw when Scooby Doo and Garfield were already a thing

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Larryb posted:

Iíll give you two guesses about what most of the comments below the He-man video are full of.

If you guessed bitter incel gen-xers crying about how Teela has been turned into a man, Adam was feminized and the entire show is a bait and switch that will be about SJWs and Wokeness, you win the prize (so about par for the course honestly)

Why is it that a lot of this fanbase sees the original show as this holy text that cannot be altered rather than the goofy toy commercial it really was? Same goes for She-Ra for that matter (which I question whether half of the people complaining even WATCHED when they were a kid).

Now granted, the latter show does have its share of legitimate problems (such as the story kind of falling apart during the final season and Catraís somewhat rushed redemption arc that sort of brushes aside all the genuinely horrible things she did over the course of the series) but changing/updating a few designs/personalities and giving characters more agency and development ainít one of them in my opinion.

Most of them don't care and don't need to to make it another martyr to rally around. 'Change bad' is about as far as they think about any of this stuff before they make 5 hours of video footage complaining about it everyday.

People who're weird about whatever they think feminism or wokeness is will take any opportunity to be weird about whatever feminism or wokeness means in their head. From the change in lightbulb design to how men and women MUST be standing or leaning at any given time, to the storyline at Medical Times, potential to get steaming mad at anything are endless!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Last Call posted:

But if you know her story you know what must happen:

Such a tiny sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Android Blues posted:

I genuinely think a lot of the people bellowing at Kevin Smith about how Teela being in the show is misandry, actually, had no history with He-Man. The classic show, He-Man shows up in every episode, sure, but it was also a show that was built around its ensemble cast of action figure characters, and often He-Man was sharing the spotlight. Teela especially was the star of plenty of episodes.

They were (and are?) just the masculinity-obsessed conservative nerd brigade and its associated clickfarms looking for new stuff to drum up controversy about. What they're actually fans of is hour long Youtube videos entitled "Feminism Ruined [Pop Culture Property]".

Thundercats and He-Man's are shows I never heard anyone bring up until they decided to be mad about new versions of them came out so I'm struggling to believe it had any fans to begin with.

At least the people mad about Teen Titans Go would say that they liked the 2000's version occasionally.