Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I wonder what the overlap of these guys versus bronies is considering that gross group looked down on the original show, in part because the character design was larger-bodied and the stories weren’t as “deep.” :jerkbag:

Fairly high I'd imagine. You know how they say cartoons affect people so strongly because they bypass certain incredulous parts of the brain? Which means that people are more likely to cry at a sad cartoon than at a human being's simulation (or genuine expression) of pain/anguish/despair? I reckon that's the same thing going on here, and that the rage these idiots feel is partly affected by the way cartoons can just get under their skins in a way that Ghost Busters or Rey or Fish loving Mooney could not.

That and, look, I love cartoons, bu there's an unfortunate minority of people who are basically overgrown children -- with all the emotional intelligence and cognitive reasoning that implies. Between them and the actual children, who are taking their first, tentative steps into activism, and you're going to get a lot of angry people on either side of the divide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm pretty sure Friendship is Magic attracted a hateful fandom because people didn't yet know you have to actively exclude neo-Nazis to be rid of them.

I think it's simpler than that. Stories about harmless, approachable, essentially -tamed- women are attractive to fascists. The girls of Friendship is Magic are uncomplicated, simplistic canvases on which it's easy for men to project. They're women, but they're not sexual women (partly because they're ponies, partly because it's a kid's show) so they're safe and approachable, and they spend all their time having fun and expressing basic personality traits, so they're not complicated or messy like real women can be. They're low maintenance.

Accomodating women are the ultimate nazi fantasy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah. It's not that these guys don't have sex thoughts about the lady ponies, it's that the ponies themselves have a passive sexuality. They easily accommodate to the sexual desires of the imposed fantasy, because they're inherently safe.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 26, 2019

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's not the new Justice League cartoon slideshow, so it's not particularly cheap. There's some off model stuff but it's fine for what it is.

Basically, it's not Korra Season 1, but it's not the first half of Korra Season 2 either. Just like most American cartoons are now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Netflix should really make it clear to Dreamworks that this is their plan, because DW are clearly making these shows with the normal 13-26 episode cycle in mind and building to season finales based on that. They try with these 'mid-season finale' episodes but they're almost always character studies that don't get paid off for months or years.

I thought it was a Dreamworks thing, not a Netflix thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a toy sales thing, right?

I bet there's a spike every time they release a new batch of episodes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CuwiKhons posted:

It's a Netflix thing. Some people only subscribe for long enough to watch a particular thing they care about. If I have to pay Netflix for a month of subscription time to watch S2, they'd rather I had to pay them twice - once in April and once in August.

(or better, they'd rather new things I care about were coming out frequently enough that I just don't bother to unsubscribe)

Nah, that doesn't track. Why only the Dreamworks shows?

The other shows that do this -- and there's only one or two, like Kimmy Schmidt and Arrested Development -- were forced to by production issues.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nah, I reckon Catra's too far gone. You can excuse a lot of lovely behaviour thanks to her poor frame of reference, inability to trust, emotional instability, internalised abusive behaviours etc. but that only justifies her actions up to a point. Catra passed that point a long time ago. Her mother issues don't justify leading a fascist army. They don't justify her attempted genocide. She had numerous outs and refused to take them. She's betrayed loyal friends.

Life is just harder for abused kids, not just because of the abuse, but because of how much more work it takes to overcome it -- and because, at the end of the day, abused kids just don't have the support networks to pull them out of the poo poo. Friends (Scorpia, Entrapta) can help them, but only so far. But they have to want to get better.

The finale makes it clear that Catra knows she's doing the wrong thing, and she just doesn't care. Catra's not interested in doing the work, and all the sad stories in the world don't justify planetary annihilation.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

"I hope this mom is dead" says Elephant Ambush about cartoon mom in a series aimed at small girls.

Like, what?

Oh will no one think of the children?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Watching Ep1:

Wow that it an incredibly yonic waterfall.

Also this is straight out of Utena. QED

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

pentyne posted:

Article also interviews Noelle, she apparently had to fight tooth and nail to get the story she wanted told and got a lot of pushback for what eventually came out.

Realistically, this isn't going to stop happening any time soon, but I'm glad the show pulled it off the way it did.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, why are the two parts of Revelation apparently several months apart from one another?

Several several months, yeah. Last I heard they were looking at the second set of five episodes coming out next year.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Spacedad posted:

One of the show's main writers confirmed that Adam is not dead, just wounded, and will be coming back in the second half of the season. Kevin Smith also further confirmed that He-man will be back as well. So yeah, the show is just setting up really dire stakes.

Gotta coddle those fanboys!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I really hope King Greyskull and the other heroes of Preternia show up again in Part 2. I need more Dennis Haysbert in my life.

Also maybe it's just me but it seems like in the intervening week since its release the majority of the white hot hatred for the show online has kind of burned itself out and given way to people who actually really like the show gushing about it. Which, if I'm not mistaken was basically what happened with She-Ra too, wasn't it?

It's a rare communal benefit of the Netflix release structure.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

tsob posted:

The reasons ultimately does boil down to "it's not part of the guild that's striking, so I can promote"

Don't a lot of people have mandatory promotional appearances stipulated in their contracts? Meaning that, potentially, it's less of an issue of "can" rather than "must".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Well that was absolutely fantastic. Hope they get a season 3 because that was one hell of a stinger to end on.

IIRC there's another five episodes coming at some later date.