Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This show is gay af.

I love it!

Just watched the first two seasons over the last few days.

It also got me to dig out the old 2002 He-Man series which is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Wow, I took today off on accident since I'm taking all my Friday's off in August. Just binged the whole thing.

My only complaint: this is clearly Season 2 Part 2.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm two episodes in and wow Hordak is having some character development.

Yeah, I actually feel for the guy now. And I actually really want his relationship with Entrapta to succeed. They clearly have feelings for each other. It's weird because he's such a loving villain. But you kind of get where he's coming from now.

Just like all the villains in the show, he was not given a choice. And then he was rejected for something outside of his control. He's much more like Catra than he realizes. Just like everyone else, I don't think he actually wants to rule the world. He's just doing it because it's expected of him and because it's the only way of getting it the respect of his brother. And that's all he really wants.

It actually really annoyed me when Catra lied and claimed Entrapta brought the rebels.

Don't get me wrong. He's a bad guy. But now I get that his temper is posturing. Some of it is because he feels like he's not good enough. And some of it is because he's in constant pain and knows he's dying and his only salvation is getting off this planet.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

At least one of the creators (writers? I can't remember exactly who said it) have admitted to wanting and planning on giving her one, but it ended up not happening.

It was Aaron Ehasz. Apparently, by the end, they didn't know what Nickeldon was going to do with Avatar. They were juggling a live action flick (which they kept getting pushed out of more-and-more until all of their ideas and suggestions were thrown out), a possible animated movie (which became The Promise comic series), a potential sequel series, and the idea of a season 4. The last of which never made it past a single planning session of possible ways to continue the series into another season.

The general idea was this: "Let's watch the world rebuild after the 100 year war, with a focus on Azula growing into a better person and redeeming herself." This never came to be as the animated movie became a comic, the live action movie being a flop, and the sequel series getting greenlit which was Legend of Korra. The idea of "what happens directly after the 100 year war" became regulated to the comics, which are still being released today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m5oEy8AFfc

This is just a random video on it. Didn't watch it, but I'm sure they regurgitate all the same info from the twitter posts.

Fun fact: the original post by Aaron was on April 1st so people thought it was an April Fool's joke at first.

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 12, 2019

Covok
May 27, 2013

Covok
May 27, 2013

Holy poo poo, I only ever saw the 2002 series. I never knew Cringer talked.

Anyway, on topic, I loved this season so much. It's really crazy how much this show has grown. I actually went and rewatched some old episodes. Catra and Glimmer are so different back then. It's crazy the journey they have gone on over the course of the series. I legit feel pretty loving bad for Hordak. Did not expect that at all.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Got to say, rewatching season 1 and you kind of see hints at how Glimmer will turn out. She always had more of an edge to her. Protective. Defensive. Angry. Reliant on a close best friend for emotional support and guidance. It's funny how I didn't notice the parallels sooner.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kyle and Lizard Boy OTP.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Covok
May 27, 2013

Madurai posted:

Kyle gets hit with some magical toxic waste and becomes Mantenna.

What did Kyle ever do to you for you to imagine such a cruel fate?

Covok
May 27, 2013

SHVPS4DETH posted:

this is every show now tho (and every show since the internet)

Still funny, tho. Especially if you remember how he said it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

On She-Ra's redemption arcs: https://www.themarysue.com/she-ra-and-the-princesses-of-power-perfectly-explores-how-villains-get-made-and-unmade/

Covok
May 27, 2013

Weirdest thing happened. I was watching Princess Monoke in theaters today. Just like the director of We Bare Bears introduced Totoro and Rebecca Sugar introduced Whispers of the Heart, Noelle Steven introduced Princess Monoke. The odd thing is, once she was on screen, this guy next to me got all riled up and started talking really loudly. I was worried he'd ruin the movie. He didn't, but, yeesh, might have spotted an rear end in a top hat out in the wild.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Personally, outside of Bow and Scorpia, none of these character look like people who would be great for a long term relationship.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Pththya-lyi posted:

Scorpia is too much of an enabler for most of the show's runtime, and it remains to be seen if she'll fall back into old habits now that she's left the Horde.

I guess you could say Bow is the same way. He tries too hard to be everyone's friend that he forgets that sometimes people need a kick in the rear end.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Jesus Christ, I tried to segue into us discussing the characters as people specifically to avoid this.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Scorpina off-handedly confirmed Kyle & Rogelio.

Covok
May 27, 2013

tsob posted:

I wonder who the baby Kyle is putting in a papoose on Rogelio's chest is, since it looks like a a mix between human and lizard and I don't recall any other lizard people in that scene. Did they adopt or have someone act as a surrogate or something, I wonder. It's probably just a refugee, since I don't think there was enough time for a child to be created and born between seasons but I did wonder when I saw it.

That's Hordaks little imp thing from Season 1-4. Now that you said that, I view it as Kyle and Rogelio adopting a baby and that's cute. Kyle deserves something good to happen to him for once. As much as I love the show, it was very mean spirited to Kyle.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Y'all dumb. Literally the entire time I was watching I was going "Please don't bury your gays! Please don't bury your gays! Please don't bury your gays!" Like, killing gay characters is overdone and bordeline offensive due to its cowardly "have your cake and eat it too" mentality to people who want to put LGBT+ representation in their work for good media coverage but not have to actually do it.

And that's not even getting into the mental health and abuse victim angles.

Speaking of abuse, here is Noelle explaining how Shadow Weaver was not redeemed:

Covok fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 18, 2020

Covok
May 27, 2013

Whenever there is openly gay media, there is a team of people coming out of the woodworks to hetsplain to us about how the measage is bad and toxic. This time we even get a side of "and they should have killed the lesbian abuse victim" too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Beekeeping and You posted:

lesbians will look at azula from ATLA and go "damb anyone else gonna take that" and not wait for an answer no wonder the catra thing is so polarizing

e: i have not seen atla

According to the creators, if there was a season 4 of Last Airbender, it would have focused on rebuilding the world and helping Azula. However, the powers at be decided to put those funds to the live action movie. The comics picked up the plot but it quickly turned into "lets have her recover her mental breakdown and immediately turn back into a villain because she's the most iconic villain" because comics.