Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

I like the design of the woman in the middle of picture 3. The one in picture 2 (which I assume is the same person) doesn't look that good. I think it's the hairstyle.

Thatís Teela. Iím gonna chock picture 2 up to a weird angle and expression because she looks MUCH better in her casual gear in picture 3 with Orko. Also itís not in those pictures but I appreciate how they took a cue from the new She-Ra and made Prince Adam legitimately short and scrawny compared to He-Man instead of just He-Man with a shirt on like he was in the original show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I did like they made Teela buffer than Adam.

I have a feeling Adam only comes up to Teelaís shoulder in this version and itís gonna be loving hilarious to see them both together whenever heís not He-Man.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

They hate how "woke" and "SJW" it is and that it didn't look like the 80s cartoon

They're also currently losing their poo poo over Teela's redesign and that Andra is now black, so there's probably gonna be a bunch of He-Man flavoured pissbabies to go with the She-Ra ones too once it all shakes out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Fair, pretty much every fandom has its toxic elements.

There werenít any cases of staff or actors associated with the show being harassed by these people were there?

Speaking of actors, did the ones for Adora and Catra do anything else significant before or after the series?

I know some of the actors for Voltron caught heat for the final two seasons from insane fans too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Well that was quite fun, I enjoyed it a lot and am looking forward to Part 2 whenever it drops. It struck a lot of the same tonal notes as She-Ra did, even the same dumb humour. lol that chuds got mad over the toy show, theyíre loving idiots.

Also Orko dying was a massive gut punch, but itís okay because theyíve clearly set it up that heís coming back as Oracle from Ď02 He-Man in Part 2.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Also imagine my shock that angry manchildren are repulsed by yet another narrative where the core thematic thread is "grow the gently caress up, get your poo poo together, and stop living in the past." :rolleyes:

It's like there's some sort of trend going on here...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Spacedad posted:

I think it's very much a taste thing.

They made an entire narrative emotional arc out of a question that kids have been asking since the original show, which is why doesn't Adam tell Teela he is He-man. So the first season is actually really clever narrative arc of the fallout and reconciliation from that question. A lot of the negative-review-bombing dorks raging about the show don't see just how deeply loving clever starting off the first half of the series that way is.

I was completely invested in Teela - they pulled off giving her weight to her character, and she carried the show. The best scene in the show by far was her being terrorized by and then facing down scare-glow. Scare-glow's voice actor was amazing and gave Teela's character something terrifying & meaningful to overcome.

This is a story that has weight, teeth and texture to it the same way that a campy but well-written young adult fantasy novel does. Which is a loving amazing feat, considering this is a show that came out of a corny toy infomercial.

Edit: Also anyone who doesn't see that the series is setting up Andra as becoming a new 'Champion of Grayskull' which will mean Teela is the new Man-At-Arms mentor/sidekick to her He-man should probably have their head examined. There's frequent talk of passing the torch to new champions in the show, and Andra seems to be showing qualities that will make her a good hero when she takes center stage later. The line with Skeletor going 'who are you?' in particular at the end, insulting this new face, seems like a moment of hubris on skeletor's part that is going to come back to rather satisfyingly bite him in the rear end. Anyway, we can look forward to the antiwoke manchildren raging again when that audience-telegraph gets revealed. :laugh:

Yeah I can see that. Basically Andra is going to the new He-Man, Teela is going to be the new Man-At-Arms, and Orko is going to be the new Sorceress as Oracle. And Adam is going to be the new King Randor, only a much better ruler becaise gently caress King Randor.

Oh and Duncan and Sorceress get to loving retire because they're both hella old, let them rest already.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 24, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Light posted:

Not sure if it would be less embarrassing to be mad because you earnestly think the old shows were great works of art vs just being mad because you're a chud.

I made the mistake of checking out r/television and the MotU subreddit and my god people are ripshit mad about this, and for the stupidest possible reasons. They are once again angry that that their toys betrayed them and told them it's time to grow up, oh and by the way, women exist.

Oh and they don't understand how storytelling works.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Teek posted:

She did, this is something from the original series. Itís fairly blatant in one of her back story episodes about her being an Earth astronaut.

This is also the basis for the He-Man/She-Ra Christmas Special crossover. Just "Queen Marlena teaches Eternia about what Christmas is and Horde Prime gets freaked out by all the holiday joy and sends Skeletor and Hordak to ruin Christmas for everyone."

These shows were dumb.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 24, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Hell, werenít the 80ís shows also fairly progressive for the time in some ways?

For that matter how did the first reboot (the 2002 series) do in regards to giving the characters agency/depth?

Oh hell yes. Even on the 80s show, the actually competent and smart ones who weren't He-Man were Teela, Queen Marlena, Duncan, Sorceress, and Evil-Lyn, and guess who's in the winners circle in Revelation too? (along with Orko, finally)

If 02 He-Man came out today as-is, it would have been met with the same head-popping reaction. gently caress, they humanized SKELETOR in '02 He-Man. He actually has a reason for why he's evil and a backstory to explain it.

E: wait, there was ANOTHER He-Man sequel/reboot before '02? Huh?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 24, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

Haven't watched He-Man in many decades. Revelations is decent.

The animation and style is fine. I liked the character development of Orko and Evil-Lyn, of all things. Would be nice if Orko comes back in one way or another. Lyn is the Harley Quinn to Skeletor's Joker and I got really disappointed when she went back with Skeletor again at the end of episode five. Teela as a character didn't resonate much with me and honestly I can't put my finger on why.

I can understand if some people got annoyed because they just wanted it to be focused around He-Man and Skeletor and, for now, it has been going on a very different route. However a lot of the angry reviews I've seen in some places are just blowing it out of proportion and some people need to grow up.

Sarah Michelle Geller is kinda flat as Teela in a lot places where she needs to be more nuanced, also turning Teela into a street-level replacement He-Man and her turning out to be kind of bland also exposes the original underlying problem with He-Man too--he's boring as poo poo most of the time. That's what those flashbacks at the start of each episode help emphasize where He-Man does A Thing in the past, and then Teela also does The Same Thing in the present. Teela's fear sequence in Subternia really helps re-contextualize what He-Man actually is in this situation: a barrier between her and Adam that needs to be torn down for their relationship to survive. Also Orko's death is clearly telegraphed to let you know he's coming back, I'll bet on it. You can clearly see he teleported away with Scare Glow before the explosion, the question is where? *cough*trolla*cough* And they're clearly going to need an absurdly powerful magic user to beat Skeletor and maybe win Lyn back from the dark side for good too. This poo poo ain't done yet, just you wait.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vietnamwees posted:

Does Moss Man come back after the 1st episode or does he only appear when Skeleton burns his green body into ashes??

Yes. He shows up again in episode 5.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Last Call posted:

The New Adventures was a thing. And pretty much agreed to be horrible on almost all counts.

02 was quite beloved by the fanbase. Sure there were some sticklers but overall it was extremely well received. The biggest issues people had was with the toys and how many He-Man's and Skeletors flooded the pegs while other characters were hard as hell to get. It's widely credited as the reason it failed, due to Mattels lovely distribution. No toyline, no show.

I can easily see a new Roboto being built, either Duncan uses his brain waves to create an older version or he has the back ups of his original ones so he can redo the whole process. He'd be like the old Roboto but capable of growing in a different new way. And maybe magic will bring him back, why not? Everything is possible, if he does return things could easily play out as you have said with the technologist cult bowing before him and learning from his wisdom. Be a hell of a way to cap that whole plotline.

I could also see the old heroes of Preternia coming back to Eternia for an "Avengers Assemble!" moment in the final battle and bringing a rebuilt Roboto with them when they return. He-Ro could easily slap him back together. Because they left the door wide open for that too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ZeroPrimal posted:

Watching some YouTube reviews of this show, I canít imagine being this butthurt about a loving cartoon.

Those same people have been angry about everything pop culture related since the summer of 2014. I'm surprised hypertension hasn't claimed a few of them yet.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

side_burned posted:

I don't have Netfix at the moment does Revelation mention She-Ra?

Not in the first five episodes. The Horde gets a namedrop in episode 5, but no specific mentions of She-Ra, Adora, Etheria, or anything else from the other show. Same way Princess of Power treated He-Man.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tsob posted:

One last thing (at least for now) from the show, since I'm the only person here who likes Smith, as a least as a raconteur (I've only seen a few of his movies and never found any amazing), so pay some attention to his show to report it back to everyone else, is that [spoilers for Revelation's back half]they based Orko's death in Revelation on Gandalf's "death" in Lord of the Rings including using the line "back to the shadows with you" or whatever it is, and then going "and we all know Gandalf was dead for good and never came back". They also pointed out that despite all the poo poo people are giving Smith online about how he just killed Orko because he didn't like him, he did so in a 5 episode run where two characters that are apparently dead come back to life. So it's bizarre to even act with certainty that Orko is dead when Adam, Skeletor (and to some degree Moss Man) come back within a short while after apparently dying.

Yeah, I watched that episode of FatMan Beyond too and was like "caaaaaaalled it!" Also the comments on that video are hilarious from a schadenfreude perspective. This show has either cracked some hella brains or put some big giant new cracks in some already cracked brains and adult people are literally going to die mad at Kevin Smith for breaking their toys.

Griffin Newman is a man after my own heart. The perfect nexus of being endearingly sincere, vulnerable, and loving... and also completely loving done with all of this chud bullshit, piss off.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 25, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

side_burned posted:

How can there be so many versions of one character that all have terrible haircuts.

Multiversal constant.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Evil Lyn in particular was interesting, on one hand she seems like someone that finally walked away from a horrible boyfriend and can let her hair down and open up to others, but she's still a cynical opportunist just the same. Her telling Orko "that's just what your parents made you think" when Orko goes into his spiel about being a screw up was poignant in my opinion. I mean it would be so easy to play up her arrogance and spend the whole time berating Orko as this useless floating turd but in a way I think she saw a little of her own insecurities in the wiz biz.

Based off of episode 4 alone, that's the one thing I'm looking forward to the most from part 2, Orko returning the favor and giving Lyn the boost she needs to finally and truly tell Skeletor to gently caress off for good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

moths posted:

Sorceress is going to be revealed as Teela's mom, right? Is that what the mad babies thought was a lesbian moment?

People are misinterpreting Teela and Andraís close friendship and Teelaís burgeoning pride in Andraís development as an adventurer as a lesbian relationship. Which, to be fair, it is 100% coded as and can be read as such if you want to, but she also clearly has eyes for Adam as well, so she is probably most definitely bisexual at the very least.

lovely men (and some lovely women too, Iíve seen a few female reviewers getting weirdly cringey about it) are willfully misinterpreting things to fuel their anger when itís just a further extension of the already legendary queer subtext of the original show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I also kind of like that this universe actually has *consequences*. I kinda want to see a new G.I.Joe cartoon where people can actually die.

Eh, more like consequences*, because of the three people we've seen die so far, none of them actually died. Adam just went on a 2-year death vacation, Skeletor was sealed up inside his own staff, and Orko is... out there somewhere and will be back fairly soon from the sound of it.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 28, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tsob posted:

You're forgetting one: Moss-Man.

Oh right. Well even that oneís less like Moss-Man is dead and more like heís enjoying retirement in Preternia after being horrifically immolated by Skeletor.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Did he actually tweet this poo poo out explicitly, too? Because I'm wondering about all those tears that showed up on my Youtube feed about loving He-Man, and they keep coming. Main reason I'm perusing this thread to begin with. Is the peanut gallery ignoring specific context again?

The key shared factor about about all these YouTube crybabies who scream about this kind of poo poo is that they don't actually know how television and movie production actually works. Like to a comical degree. Especially when it comes to animation.

Also these people are generally just really stupid and ignorant. Normal people all unanimously really seem to like this show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ups_rail posted:

I disagree they know or have the capacity to understand it. They just are farming click bate youtube bucks/super chats

And it seems they have both the Show and KS to go after so everyday they can make videos rehashing the show or smith. The rage is an easy way to get engagement and be rewarded with money.

Lets say in the next 5 episodes all these rear end in a top hat get a teela they want, and the heman they want. They wills till bitch.

my loving youtube page is just loving TRASH NOW is there a way to tell youtube I dont wanna hear about loving heman

There's a browser extension called BlockTube for Firefox and Chrome, and a similar one for Opera too. Install it and you can use the "..." menu that normally lets you report videos to either block individual videos or even whole channels from ever showing up anywhere on your browser again. Just search He-Man and use it to calibrate your block list. That's about the only effective way to do it on PC. Sadly nothing helps for mobile browsing though.

Luckily a lot of these same channels get mad over everything pop-culture related so I whacked all of them years ago when they started screaming about The Last Jedi and have never had to deal with them directly since.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

That comes in handy since a lot of the outrage miners are calling it the worst betrayal SINCE Last Jedi.

There's also a small but spirited effort to talk about the 'controversy.'

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1420565042274111492

Imagine trying to say 'because somebody called the Critical Drinker said it was bad!'

I would like to see a proper peer review of the Critical Drinkerís analytical process, for example what specifically is his exact blood alcohol content while he is expressing his critical thoughts on modern popular media? How can I trust the word of a man who posits to be a perpetual drunkard if it turns out he is filming all of his content stone-cold sober? Talk about a bait and switch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Last Call posted:

I find it quite amazing that people are thinking there is some lesbian nature between a mother and daughter.

If you know anything about He-Man Teela being the Sorceress daughter is rather common. In other words people are causing outrage for outrage sakes.

Also it's patently clear if you watch the show, this one I mean, that Teela is not at all fond the Sorceress and resents her for being yet another person who'd kept a fuckton of secrets from her her whole life and she probably won't react well if/when the other shoe drops and she finally learns Sorceress is her mother. Because she's like 20 years old now and her mom has seen her on like a daily basis and had all the time in the world to let her know and just kind of... didn't. That's why Duncan claps his mouth shut the first time he tries to tell her because he realizes "Oh, poo poo, this probably won't end well."

Also Teela has much stronger lesbian energy with Andra anyway :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

side_burned posted:

Finally watched Revaluation. Its good. The first episode nails the feeling of dumping out a toy chest and waging epic battels with your action figures. The voice cast is a murders row well cast fan favorites. Casting Sarah Michelle Gellar was deliberate and what Princesses of Power hit a feed back loop with magic school girl anime, Revelation hit a similar loop with chosen one narratives. Other thoughts, who ever was directing Tony Todd asked for Candy Man, cool, and I would like series about king Greyskull fighting a two front war against King Hiss and Horde Prime, Dennis Haysbert was really good and I liked the scenes with him.

edit: Frank Langella is still the best Skelator

I really hope King Greyskull and the other heroes of Preternia show up again in Part 2. I need more Dennis Haysbert in my life.

Also maybe it's just me but it seems like in the intervening week since its release the majority of the white hot hatred for the show online has kind of burned itself out and given way to people who actually really like the show gushing about it. Which, if I'm not mistaken was basically what happened with She-Ra too, wasn't it?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

side_burned posted:

That intresting that they got Allen Oppenheimer to attempt the OG Skelator voice. I can see how it would be hard for him to do now. If you want an Oppenheimer performance in his normal voice watch the Star Trek Next Generation episode Rightful Heir, the episode with the clone of Kahless. Oppenheimer plays Koroth the cleric who comes with the ploy of cloning Klingon Jessus.

He also did the voice over work for Alistair Crane on Passions with his normal booming baritone voice before they cast an actual on-camera actor to play him and he had a blast basically playing Human Skeletor on probably the worst soap opera of all time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Last Call posted:

About Moss-Man in the new show:

The mans a plant, you know he's going to Groot himself into being again later as a little sprout.

Yeah, going by what Kevin Smith and others involved in the show have been saying, this series seems like it's going to have a body count of exactly zero by the time it's finished, or maybe exactly one: Skeletor. But if they're talking about a second season already, then it's probably going to be zero.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

So I watched some of the commentary tracks and more of the Fatman Beyond podcast on the show and apparently Teelaís new haircutóthe one that set the internet on fireóis actually a tribute to Chyler Leigh and the haircut she had for Supergirl. Apparently this was done by the character designers at Powerhouse and was a surprise to Kevin Smith when they unveiled the design.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Skeletor- Dad:"I know I come off as arrogant and cold, but I have the same urges as anyone else. These primal animal cravings persisted long after your mother's passing, and to this day I yearn for the next opportunity to take pleasure in the carnal union of flesh. Your dad doesn't just have sex, son. Your dad fucks"

And now the question becomes, whose voice did you read that in, Oppenheimer, Langella, or Hamill?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oppenheimer.

That's the thing, it takes on wildly different connotations with each voice.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I know Hamill says he did a different voice with Skeletor but all I heard was "throatier Joker."

Yeah, but he's having a loving blast, so I don't really care if it is.

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1425164292404367360

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tsob posted:

His line to Andra that no-one would ever have him as a man because he has a skull for a face is a bit weird if that's true.

We'll have to wait to see how Part 2 plays out in regard to giving Skeletor any backstory or pathos, but right now I'm disinclined to believe that any of the comics count as canon towards the show and are anything more than just "here's some things that happen with these characters before the show starts".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

New pics of toys from the upcoming CGI Reboot series have been released, including our first look at Man-At-Arms:

CG Adam still looks like Kristoff from Frozen to me but otherwise the redesigns so far donít look too bad.

I canít imagine itíll be too much longer until we get a trailer (or at least a cast list) for this now

So Skeletor is Reaper from Overwatch and Man-At-Arms is just male Samus? :confused: They're definitely aiming to capture an audience of modern videogame playing kids, that's for sure.

E: Also it kinda looks like Man-At-Arms is the same age as or even younger than He-Man. Huh.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

moths posted:

I thought someone put googly eyes on Man at Arms' shoulder.

I CAN'T UNSEE IT :byodood:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

The current like/dislike ratio on the trailer:

Dislikes: 2.1 K

Sounds about par for the course for this franchise (and Iím sure some fans are currently bitching about the changes the show made like always)

Did people throw this much of a hissy fit over the 2002 series or did it mainly start around SPoP (though Iíd argue that New Adventures was even more of a departure since it literally stripped away everything except Skeletor and He-Man himself)?

I recall somewhat that Ď02 He-Man was just as divisive and looked upon askance in its time as well and has been Overton Windowíd into being ďa good He-Man show that, I a True He-Man Fan adore and respectĒ by virtue of 19 years of time between it and now, a new new He-Man show (and a newer new He-Man show) coming along to act as a heatsink for it, and because basically no one talked about it in its time, so The Discourse around it is shaped by whatever people want it to be now.

I watched the Power of Greyskull documentary on Netflix last week and when it go to the 02 series it was just like ďwe thought were doing pretty good, but no one was watching it or buying to the toys, so we got cancelled.Ē If the internet of 2021 existed in 2002, people would have thrown a poo poo fit over it.

As for CGI He-ManÖ eh. It looks interesting. Not sure what to make of the art style, but itís doing enough weird and intriguing things with the story and characters that I might check it out. Robo-Orko has me over the moon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Griffin Newman, if youíre reading this, Iím sorry but Revelations Orko is now merely my second favourite Orko.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

And heís voiced by Tom Kenny to boot

Surprised they went with Clone Wars Narrator Voice Tom Kenny when the Sponge Bob voice was right there and might fit better, but Iím guessing the more mature-sounding voice is probably a characterization choice. From the look of the promo shots and the trailer, everyone in this show is going to be some degree of badass.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Panfilo posted:

What the hell was so controversial about the '02 He-Man?

Just the usual "It's new and I don't like things that are new" bullshit, if I seem to recall. But this was pre-YouTube and Twitter so people who didn't care for it just didn't watch it or said "Eh, I don't like it." on a message board once or twice and moved on instead of building a whole personality around telling people about the rending wound in their souls that watching it left them with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dave Syndrome posted:

Yeah, that's definitely not for me. But the whining of manbabies that this trailer is going to trigger will be delicious.

EDIT: I see that Mattel has deactivated comments on the YouTube trailer. Probably a wise move.

Anything on YouTube meant primarily for kids now has comments disabled by default in compliance with new internet laws. And itís to keep 6 year olds from reading poo poo like a stream of comments from gross 40 year old men having expletive riddled and misogynistic and/or white supremacist tinged meltdowns over literal childrenís cartoons.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 20, 2021